• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Golden Sun GBA duology out on NSO on January 16th

I have the first Golden Sun close to memorized, but I don't have nearly the same strong memories of The Lost Age.

Man, TLA tends to have the Crosscode problem of every dungeon being 30% longer than it should be.

Finished the first game last night. I'm pretty sure I wasn't using the Djion system properly because every time I summoned one of them, all of my moves changed. Still, I managed to get through the game with little resistance. The Kraken took a few tries. I ended up dropping the Deadbeard boss fight after half a dozen tries. That dude was OP.

I ended up with all 28 Djion's (thanks to a guide, hehe). I enjoyed the puzzles in each cave/dungeon. There was only one or two puzzles that made me think for more than a couple of minutes. One complaint I had was that when having to backtrack, the moveable pieces were put back in their original places, so I would have to redo the puzzle. I'm not sure if it was a technical limitation with the GBA, or just how they wanted it. At the same time, I can understand the need to reset puzzles each time you entered the room though. Teleportation/typical JRPG airship would've been awesome at the end, but that was hardly a deal breaker. I was surprised that the world map led to a more linear path.

I give it a solid 8/10. Some mechanics did not age as well, but the experience was still fun. I'll probably hit up The Lost Age sometime later this year. I doubt that I will be able to beat the game before Rebirth comes out, and that game will be my entire March.

Finished the first game last night. I'm pretty sure I wasn't using the Djion system properly because every time I summoned one of them, all of my moves changed. Still, I managed to get through the game with little resistance. The Kraken took a few tries. I ended up dropping the Deadbeard boss fight after half a dozen tries. That dude was OP.

I ended up with all 28 Djion's (thanks to a guide, hehe). I enjoyed the puzzles in each cave/dungeon. There was only one or two puzzles that made me think for more than a couple of minutes. One complaint I had was that when having to backtrack, the moveable pieces were put back in their original places, so I would have to redo the puzzle. I'm not sure if it was a technical limitation with the GBA, or just how they wanted it. At the same time, I can understand the need to reset puzzles each time you entered the room though. Teleportation/typical JRPG airship would've been awesome at the end, but that was hardly a deal breaker. I was surprised that the world map led to a more linear path.

I give it a solid 8/10. Some mechanics did not age as well, but the experience was still fun. I'll probably hit up The Lost Age sometime later this year. I doubt that I will be able to beat the game before Rebirth comes out, and that game will be my entire March.

One thing I did not realize when I played it on GBA back in the day is when you're attacking enemies, and if the damage is resisted, neutral, or compounded. I remember reading recently that if there's one "!" at the end of the sentence when talking about how much damage you're doing, it's neutral. With a "." at the end, it's a resisted elemental attack, and three "!!!" means it was a stronger elemental attack that overcomes the enemy's element.

There was also the class system, and how it affects your abilities and stats based on if you have a single element of Djinn, or if you have two, or three different ones, including different attacks. One thing I do remember was when to use the Growth Psynergy ability by trading an Earth Djinn with a Fire Djinn, and vice versa (with typically Garet, or Issac).

Just those couple things made me rethink how to attack enemies, especially bosses. I only just got to Kalay, which thinking about it, felt easier compared to when I originally played it. But I was much younger then, and being a bit older, and hopefully a little more wiser, makes the game easier to tackle. :cool:

I have memories of absolutely loving these games when they first game out. The Lost Age may have been one of my most anticipated games...ever?

That being said, I'm finding them a bit rough to go back to. There is just so...much...dialogue. Last night I played for like half an hour and fought one battle, I think. And the dialogue, while maybe charming, is often just repetitive and not super good?

Ah. Maybe this was just a product of the times. I'll probably play a bit more since I'm sure it opens up after the first hour or two, but yeah. Not sure if I have it in my to play through the whole thing again, sadly.

It’s ironic that 2D RPG games are being perceived as having too much dialogue, when gaming hs evolved its storytelling to actually having more dialogue.

I know the games have a lot of dialogue, but I’m highlighting something that feels ironic to me ahha

I have the first Golden Sun close to memorized, but I don't have nearly the same strong memories of The Lost Age.

Man, TLA tends to have the Crosscode problem of every dungeon being 30% longer than it should be.
For the most part they are fine, but to have the biggest dungeon (even if it's a good one) in the first few hours was not the best decision. This game is also rather dungeon front loaded compared to the first one. I like it for the most part. But for sure some could have been a smidge shorter.
That is part of the push and pull, knowing what class you move to if you use one, and either specifically using djins to get to a class with it's spells, or realising when it's to risky to use them.
Also: deciding what djins to use. If I need that combination for my healing spells, it's good to give the character the specific elemental skins that you don't need in battle.
They do that at some places (mostly for backtracking shortcuts), as you guessed, it's for resetting the puzzle, but I do agree, a flag that a puzzle was solved correctly should have been set.
TLA is a slightly different flavor. Way less linear, some mechanics that expand the game, the parts you missed from other RPGs are here... GS1 is effectively disk 1 of 3 (where tla is 2 and 3).
I have memories of absolutely loving these games when they first game out. The Lost Age may have been one of my most anticipated games...ever?

That being said, I'm finding them a bit rough to go back to. There is just so...much...dialogue. Last night I played for like half an hour and fought one battle, I think. And the dialogue, while maybe charming, is often just repetitive and not super good?

Ah. Maybe this was just a product of the times. I'll probably play a bit more since I'm sure it opens up after the first hour or two, but yeah. Not sure if I have it in my to play through the whole thing again, sadly.
The opening is a lot of dialogue.
I would not say bad, more: it's trying to give character and charme, but really fluffs it a little to much. Later on it gets better, but a handful encounters are really overdoing it with the chatter.
It’s ironic that 2D RPG games are being perceived as having too much dialogue, when gaming hs evolved its storytelling to actually having more dialogue.

I know the games have a lot of dialogue, but I’m highlighting something that feels ironic to me ahha
I thing the amount is less of the problem then the context: the story, while charming, does not warrant that much exposition. I know it, and for most interactions I mash through it. It is written with charme, but with such a basic (good, but basic) story and so little visual flair just to much. Modern jrpgs have VO, animated cut scenes, more intricate stories. That's what works in favour of more text (and even then for many it's to much)

After finishing the first 1: holds up. Has it's flaws. The concept (djin system, overworld puzzles with psynergy,...) Would still make a great jrpg.

You are not alone: I'm having the same struggle! And I re-upped my NSO Expansion Pack for these 😅

You are not alone: I'm having the same struggle! And I re-upped my NSO Expansion Pack for these 😅
Of it feels like a chore, mash the a button on cut scenes. The dungeons are wort it and the overall battle flow. Best to have a second screen ...just like most oldschool RPGs xD

Finished GS The Lost Age. What a game. This an absolute Nintendo RPG classic, better than first game in almost every way. I give first GS a 8/10, and GS TLA a 9.5/10, guess I am a GS fan now, hope Camelot make a new one someday.

That went a lot easier than I remember for a very specific boss battle...

Crossbone Isle, Deadbeard

I had all 28 Djinn (the last remaining being on Crossbone), and was at level 28/29 when I fought Deadbeard. He was a little tough at times, especially when he's making himself stronger, and more durable while cutting off my defense, and attack damage increases.

He loved to spam his Plasma, and Prism attacks, which did cause Ivan to fall a couple times, but some luck, and clever usage of the Djinn to either paralyze, or hold Deadbeard back an attack or two here and here, plus spamming Djinn Judgment worked well. I used all class of Djinn except the Water Djinn to keep Mia purely on revival, and healing duty. Took me maybe 15-20 min to defeat him, but it wasn't terribly hard, especially considering he is the Superboss of the first game. The "boss" battles for each floor were kind of fun, plus it's cool to get a shit load of EXP, and coins in the process.

Now onward to Babi Lighthouse, followed by Venus Lighthouse...and of course one of the greatest area songs in the entire game.

Finished GS The Lost Age. What a game. This an absolute Nintendo RPG classic, better than first game in almost every way. I give first GS a 8/10, and GS TLA a 9.5/10, guess I am a GS fan now, hope Camelot make a new one someday.
Great to hear, for a while it seemed like you're not enjoying the first one.

What it is is charming, with IMO great music, and a ton of gameplay that reminds me A LOT of Zelda. (Going from dungeon to dungeon to find key items and new over world skills), combined with it's rather open approach, true adventure feel, a fun risk reward system with the djins... Yeah, it has the basics for another great game in the modern age. But it also really depends on skilled Devs, with creating all of those over world psynergies and pacing the game correctly. Feels like 2 games, an RPG and a Zelda game, to me, and I assume this could be hard to recreate.

Oof need to do the golden sun code transfer. Is gold really worth it or can I just do silver?

Oof need to do the golden sun code transfer. Is gold really worth it or can I just do silver?
If you just want to beat TLA silver works.

The big thing gold does over silver is it transfers over everyone's inventory exactly how it was at the end of the first game, silver and bronze give them a more generic "just did the main story/bought regular equipment" style inventory.

(Gold also transfers over the money you had at the end of the first game too but it's not hard to get money in this series.)

Finally got started with Golden Sun. Having a blast with this charming game.

Though I'm not sure if I entirely get the Djinn system. Is there an optimal levelling for these per character, or does it not really matter how you level them. Will the game push me to a specific build at a point?

Though I'm not sure if I entirely get the Djinn system. Is there an optimal levelling for these per character, or does it not really matter how you level them. Will the game push me to a specific build at a point?
You can get by with monotype Djinn but Venus and Mars Djinn should be swapped around from time to time as it gives Isaac and Gareth Growth Psynergy.

Level bonus does not depend on the djinns. So mix and match as you like, find combinations that work for you.

Update. I've made my way to the second lighthouse but interrupted the quest to go kill Deadbeard. Now that was a satisfying fight. Killed him on the first try, but what a fight he put up, and he nearly had me scuppered.

I finally managed to get the hang of this Djinn system and looked up some classes. I rocked Isaac and Garet as Ninjas while Mia is a Paragon. Haven't really got poor Ivan anywhere while I go around looking for Djinn.

By the way, now that I beat Deadbeard, does that make me overleveled for the final boss?

Edit: There are also a lot of sound effects I recognize from Minish Cap.

Update. I've made my way to the second lighthouse but interrupted the quest to go kill Deadbeard. Now that was a satisfying fight. Killed him on the first try, but what a fight he put up, and he nearly had me scuppered.

I finally managed to get the hang of this Djinn system and looked up some classes. I rocked Isaac and Garet as Ninjas while Mia is a Paragon. Haven't really got poor Ivan anywhere while I go around looking for Djinn.

By the way, now that I beat Deadbeard, does that make me overleveled for the final boss?
Eh kinda? What level? If it's 30 then I would say yes. Feels like its more 25 for a real challenge.
Edit: There are also a lot of sound effects I recognize from Minish Cap.
Eh? Did nit know that. Could be the same source. There is a YouTube channel that recreated some golden sun songs with the same hardware.

Ok so wow, I didn't realize I was actually at the end there. And it was so abrupt too. Had I played this as a kid I would be pretty annoyed by the cliffhanger there.

I guess I'm off to Lost Age.

Ok so wow, I didn't realize I was actually at the end there. And it was so abrupt too. Had I played this as a kid I would be pretty annoyed by the cliffhanger there.

I guess I'm off to Lost Age.
As I often sad, it feels more like a "ending of disc 1" kinda deal. TLA picks up right there and pushes everything a level up, and even manages to have the better talking to gameplay ratio.

As I often sad, it feels more like a "ending of disc 1" kinda deal. TLA picks up right there and pushes everything a level up, and even manages to have the better talking to gameplay ratio.
It never really bothered me much playing it as a kid, it was a bit abrupt but the game was so substantial as a GBA game so it felt plenty lengthy to not mind the cliffhanger.

Gotta also add, I liked hunting the Djinn, there were only a few I needed walkthroughs for, but I always felt I made some mistake, like I didn't explore enough or I forgot I had seen that one.

But...

Vine is the stupidest of the lot. You have to run around killing enemies until they show up when other overworld Djinn just show up as soon as you make it to the designated spot.

how long are these games?
I just finished a small one and I'm between starting a jrpg or a metroidvania now and I think Golden Sun could be it.

Golden Sun 1 took me 48 hours, but I was mind reading everybody and going out of my way to get every Djinn. Some people report it taking them only 20.

Nice! I think Golden Sun 1 took me around 30, and that was with getting every Djinn I used a guide.

how long are these games?
I just finished a small one and I'm between starting a jrpg or a metroidvania now and I think Golden Sun could be it.

I think I was about 25hrs, and got all Djinn in my run through. Was at low 30s for my lvl.

Interestingly, I’m just under 21hrs for TLA, and I haven’t even made it to the third lighthouse yet (Or first lighthouse in this game).

Nice! I think Golden Sun 1 took me around 30, and that was with getting every Djinn I used a guide.
I went guideless for as long as possible. I only resorted to one when I felt I had exhausted my options. I'd say I went guideless for at least 20 of the 28 Djinn.

I went guideless for as long as possible. I only resorted to one when I felt I had exhausted my options. I'd say I went guideless for at least 20 of the 28 Djinn.
I could probably get around 20 if I went guideless. There are those "go to this random place on the map and wait for it to spawn" djinn's that I would never get. I don't have the patience anymore to do that much trial and error.

I could probably get around 20 if I went guideless. There are those "go to this random place on the map and wait for it to spawn" djinn's that I would never get. I don't have the patience anymore to do that much trial and error.
You start to recognize the pattern at least I have in Lost Age. "Bridge to nowhere? Bridge to a Djinn."

Something I've been noticing, first wow is Lost Age a huge improvement in the script department. Less redundant dialogue.

Two: It's wild how huge this overworld is compared to the first game. How big was the cart for this one?

Three: Our main party this go around feel less like heroes and more like shady missionar mercenaries. Almost everything we do seems to be to get some kind of reward.

Last edited:
I got most of them first try funny wnough.
25 hrs for me

Star Magician is REALLY kicking my ass here. I am trying to mitigate the impact of their orbs, but it's luck of the draw what they summon. My party is Garet, Jenna, Felix, and Mia.

I am able to keep pace with the magician thanks to Djinn, but it's the guardian orb that really ruins my day. Gonna experiment with more stat delibitating Djinn.

I'm also trying to go guideless for the actual fights here. I've gone guideless so far, why stop at the homestretch?

Last edited:
Mother of pearl! I did it. I took Star Magician down!!!!

Turns out I did things out of order. I didn't realize Star Magician was one of the last superbosses you should fight. So I walked around a bit, fought the other two by getting the teleport gem in Prox. It's kinda silly to me that you can fight Star Magician as soon as you have access to Isaac and co. when, they are by far a harder boss than the two losers you need the teleport gem to unlock.

My team was Felix, Mia, Jenna, and Garet. And we were still largely in our late 30s.

Edit: And by pure luck, I got me an Excalibur. Go me.

Done and done. I'll have more thoughts in the completed games thread, but Golden Sun is a wrap. What a fantastic duology.

And I beat Dullahan.

... I cheesed the fight.

I had a general idea of this guy and its strength. So I decided to look at the standard level for beating it without cheese strats.

The bloody bastard asks you to be in your 50s! I was just getting out of my 30s. When I saw those requirements I said to myself:

I ain't making that grind.
And I decided to use a cheesey summon strat by summoning Daedelus 4 times in a row and then summoning almost every other turn if I could manage while leaving the protective Djinn (the ones that give you barriers). It worked, but it still took me several restarts because the speed and power which this monster uses was absolutely brutal. And that's not even taking into account the turns it used Djinn storm.

Less frustrating than Star Magician for me, but still tough in other ways. Made the final boss into an utter cake walk.

So, has anyone here actually beaten this guy summonless? Speak now or forever hold your lies.

Can I just say two very succinct words?

FUCK DULLAHAN!!!

You fight the first three superbosses, and with relative ease, they aren’t too difficult. I go into Dullahan thinking it’ll be difficult, but doable. Nope. Sure, I’m only at lvl 46, but figured I had a shot. His worst move is draining all your Djinn, which for some reason thought it wasn’t possible if I sealed his psynergy. I had did a little reading on ways to fight him, but I’m also just not strong enough. Would need to be at least lvl 50 to attempt again, and even then probably go 55 or so. Not happening.

Fuck that shit. I’m going to Mars Lighthouse, and finishing this game.

Would need to be at least lvl 50 to attempt again, and even then probably go 55 or so. Not happening.

Fuck that shit. I’m going to Mars Lighthouse, and finishing this game.
We both had the same reaction to finding that out.

But you can beat them at your level. But it will require a lot of summoning and hoping they don't use Djinn storm.

We both had the same reaction to finding that out.

But you can beat them at your level. But it will require a lot of summoning and hoping they don't use Djinn storm.

My first go I standbyed enough Djinn to use the best summons, but kept Luff, and Rime available to seal his energy.

To my surprise, he used Charon his first move, which downed Sheba (I used Luff the first go around). Then he used his sword move which downed Felix next, leaving Piers, and Jenna. Revived Felix, but then he used a couple other special attacks, downing Jenna, and Piers, leaving Felix. Felix wasn’t far behind before he was downed.

Issac’s party is in no shape to fight given they’re barely lvl 40, so restarted the fight.

This next go around, he used Djinn Storm his first round despite sealing his psynergy, which fucked me over immediately.

Third round, decided to use regular attacks, and activate all Djinn for maximums stats, but that didn’t work well either. Was done within minutes.

EDIT: I just remembered too he would switch his classes or something. After being told to seal his psynergy every chance I get, sounds like it’s absolutely useless.

My first go I standbyed enough Djinn to use the best summons, but kept Luff, and Rime available to seal his energy.

To my surprise, he used Charon his first move, which downed Sheba (I used Luff the first go around). Then he used his sword move which downed Felix next, leaving Piers, and Jenna. Revived Felix, but then he used a couple other special attacks, downing Jenna, and Piers, leaving Felix. Felix wasn’t far behind before he was downed.

Issac’s party is in no shape to fight given they’re barely lvl 40, so restarted the fight.

This next go around, he used Djinn Storm his first round despite sealing his psynergy, which fucked me over immediately.

Third round, decided to use regular attacks, and activate all Djinn for maximums stats, but that didn’t work well either. Was done within minutes.

EDIT: I just remembered too he would switch his classes or something. After being told to seal his psynergy every chance I get, sounds like it’s absolutely useless.
Use your shield Djinn instead of sealing their energy. The shield will keep you alive long enough for for Daedalus to kick in.

Use your shield Djinn instead of sealing their energy. The shield will keep you alive long enough for for Daedalus to kick in.

Suppose I could try that. Is there a particular one in terms of elements that is more protective than the others? But on the other hand, if he can use Djinn Storm anyway, then my shields are practically useless.

Would it benefit me if I decide to combine different classes of djinn for one party member, or just stick with mono-class?

Suppose I could try that. Is there a particular one in terms of elements that is more protective than the others? But on the other hand, if he can use Djinn Storm anyway, then my shields are practically useless.

Would it benefit me if I decide to combine different classes of djinn for one party member, or just stick with mono-class?
That's the beauty of it, Djinn storm and break don't affect the shields when they are active. That's something I discovered. So at the least if you bombard him with summons and he uses storm, you're still alive for a turn longer.

Granite (Helpful for Formina Sage which is wind element) - Flash - Shade all work.

You should just go mono-class (except for the shield djinn) and have every djinn in standby aside from the shield djinn. Start with your Venus and Mars adepts for Daedalus. Have your fastest member use Granite or Flash. If Dullahan uses Djinn storm on these early turns, reset. You want to get Daedalus' second missle to hit. If any of your party member dies before the second turn, the second missile will not hit.

Expect your first party to die.

When you've exhausted all your Daedalus summons, get to summoning Judgement and if Isaac has his ultimate weapon, have any equipment that increases the critical chance for Megiddo.

Your second party, use Shade asap to keep yourselves alive long enough to use Eclipse. Keep going and pray you live long enough. If you're lucky the damage will crush Dullahan. If he uses Djinn storm near the last turns, it doesn't hurt to hold out and hope, but you're gonna need to rely on your Unleashes because nothing else will scratch them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom