• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Golden Sun GBA duology out on NSO on January 16th

have never played golden sun before, but i can see why everyone praises them so much - these look incredible!

i’m joining the “nintendo pls make golden sun sequel/remake” begging train now.

Do these games share a similar feel to other games in the genre more so than others? Looking at screens and maps, I'm getting Secret of Mana vibes from a visual standpoint which is a great thing. For GBA titles, they looking amazing!

Do these games share a similar feel to other games in the genre more so than others? Looking at screens and maps, I'm getting Secret of Mana vibes from a visual standpoint which is a great thing. For GBA titles, they looking amazing!

They're pretty traditional turned based JRPGs with some Zelda-like puzzle solving outside of battle. The battles do have some unique mechanics but if you are familiar with the old school Final Fantasy games or the like, then it should feel pretty natural.

They don't actually. The Fire Emblem method was a full hack specifically to not have a second emulator instance, and it worked really well.
Huh, I was aware it was bespoke, but I figured it would still be a GBA ROM.

Either way, it is clearly within their capabilities to support this, they just aren't when they have passwords they can fall back on, which is a pain.

Ultimately, the game plays like a standard turn based games, but all actions happen at once once they are selected.

In most turn based games, it is usually: character's turn comes up -> select character's option -> character acts -> next character or enemy's turn based on speed order.

In the Golden Sun games, you instead: select character 1, then 2, then 3, the 4's actions, then all actions, both player and enemy, play out.

The only other game I can think off the top of my head that uses the same system is Skies of Arcadia.

evj6tj1p5du31.png

One of the best class systems ever. Credit to MrEmptySet on Reddit for the chart.
Also, Shovel Knight goes hard in these games:

Summon_Judgement.gif
That chart needs to be threadmarked. Or in the OP of the ST

Can finally replay these games. Last time I played was probably 20 years ago X.X

Well, I can after the Apollo Justice Collection.....and Persona 3 Reload......and FF7 Rebirth.......

Busy first quarter lol

have never played golden sun before, but i can see why everyone praises them so much - these look incredible!

i’m joining the “nintendo pls make golden sun sequel/remake” begging train now.
Welcome aboard! Hopefully this leads to either a remake or to the continuation of the story with the 4th installment

Welcome aboard! Hopefully this leads to either a remake or to the continuation of the story with the 4th installment
I wouldn't mind too much of a sequel that erase the 3rd game, to be honest.
The writing is pretty bad, the antaogonist goes full idiot for no good reason and teams with two saturday morning cartoon morons -why, god, WHY ?!- and the dialogue goes on forever.

It's a bit like going from Batman Returns to Batman & Robin.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind too much of a sequel that erase the 3rd game, to be honest.
The writing is pretty bad, the antaogonist goes full idiot for no good reason and teams with two saturday morning cartoon morons -why, god, WHY ?!- and the dialogue goes on forever.

It's a bit like going from Batman Returns to Batman & Robin.
Who was the antagonist of Dark Dawn? I forgot. I only remember the ending lol

I am going into this only playing Shining Force 2 a million times and not knowing anything about this game.

I think im going to have the best 2024 ever judging by the hype in here.

I am so excited FAM!

I'm all over this once it drops. I never beat these games and I tried both of them when I was in high school back some.... twenty years ago... damn I'm old.

Some of the Djinn are missable right? I remember that being a pain my first go around.

Yup, not every Djinn you find is automatic. I don’t remember all the details of it, but for some, you literally find them by exploring, and I think for others, you encounter them as a random battle. There are guides though on where, and how to find them all of course.

Yup, not every Djinn you find is automatic. I don’t remember all the details of it, but for some, you literally find them by exploring, and I think for others, you encounter them as a random battle. There are guides though on where, and how to find them all of course.
Yeah I remember being on GameFAQs quite a bit back in the day, I bet the old guides are still there too.

That said, I'm tempted to buy that guidebook I always wanted as a kid lol.

Some of the Djinn are missable right? I remember that being a pain my first go around.
That was a problem in Dark Dawn, in the GBA titles you could always back track. Doing so is a pain in the ass (especially in GS1) so it's best to just have a Djinn guide with you to get them asap.

Datamine time:

I do not see anything that allows Golden Sun The Lost Age to load cleared save data from Golden Sun for single player in GBA NSO in an easy manner. Maybe I missed it, who knows.
You'll have to deal with the password as I expected. The link feature is purely for transferring to another player.
I've been checking GBA NSO files and emulator code and game patches for Golden Sun The Lost Age and I don't seem to see anything related to save transfer.

Datamine time:

I do not see anything that allows Golden Sun The Lost Age to load cleared save data from Golden Sun for single player in GBA NSO in an easy manner. Maybe I missed it, who knows.
You'll have to deal with the password as I expected. The link feature is purely for transferring to another player.
I've been checking GBA NSO files and emulator code and game patches for Golden Sun The Lost Age and I don't seem to see anything related to save transfer.
Annoying, but at least we can screenshot them.

BTW some tips for new players:
1. Psy energy recharges walking / running, so don't be afraid of using it in battle and the field
2. Attack targeting is kinda old school. If your target flees or dies and someone else was still targeting the enemy they will automatically defend, so spread your attacks to avoid wasting turns

The amount of attention these Golden Sun announcements are getting on social media (and the internet in general) is actually kinda insane. I always wanted a new game as a fan, but it seems like Nintendo really should make a new one!

The amount of attention these Golden Sun announcements are getting on social media (and the internet in general) is actually kinda insane. I always wanted a new game as a fan, but it seems like Nintendo really should make a new one!
Feels like these kind of RPGs have had a kind of Renaissance lately. Stuff like Chained Echoes and esp. Sea of Stars have really popped off these last few years

I think circumstances lined up for Golden Sun to really have a moment right now

Now they get to go on Isaac, Vlad and Hans' adventure. Lucky them.
Hans is the cooler name!

I've been playing the first game since the announcement (I have it physical with box and all) and although I played the game back in the day, it had never fully clicked with me until now. What surprises me is how good the game feels and how quick everything is, even with random battles (except some of the dialogue). The puzzle solving is miles ahead from most jrpgs but you already know that.

The story is kind of interesting, but the writing can be too light hearted and silly sometimes. You have to approach it like a saturday morning cartoon. Still, I do enjoy it. People usually say that the characters do have personalities, but they do have one, they're just one note. You have Garet, who is your typical friend of the hero who is a bit dumb and hot headed. Ivan is the quiet one, and Mia is your typical gentle female character. Nothing extraordinary of course, but they do have personalities goddamnit!

The music is excelent too. Vale's theme is incredibly nostalgic to me, probably because as a little kid I never made it pass Sol Sanctum.

I'll probably beat it in a few days (I'm at the point where you have to go to Babi's Lighthouse) and I can't wait to have to introduce that incredibly long password into the second game :_)

Got to Sol Sanctum last night before I had to hit the hay. The first title is a bit slow to get rolling but honestly I love the humor. It's so wholesome!
Its definitely not a "dark" RPG, even for 16 bit standards.

Overall it's a well balanced adventure story, a lot of "episodic" stuff, but unlike some DQ stories the "episodes" don't feel disconnected and more like you're in a schönen group that helps solve problems on their mission.

The beginning is rather long, for sure. It gets better after vale. But the game dose rely to much on reactions and talking for talking sake.

Got to Sol Sanctum last night before I had to hit the hay. The first title is a bit slow to get rolling but honestly I love the humor. It's so wholesome!
I also like how everyone is really polite lol

Other jrpg: You insolent brats, your friend Will pay with their life

GS: would You please bring us the stones, it would be a shame your Friends got hurt because You don't listen to us.

If i had a free wish… Nintendo, can we please get more filter options, like by individual language? Or let us just hide titles manually. Pretty please. 🥺
If we could at least hide NTSC versions... (like... you can hide PAL versions but not the opposite wth)

Hope you're all having fun. I'm only just getting around to the first Baten Kaitos on Switch (which I have played on GC previously), so this is my early to mid 00s JRPG fix for now. But I haven't replayed the two Golden Sun games for a long time (and might only ever have done Lost Age once, now I think about it), so will hopefully eventually get around to it.

Back
Top Bottom