• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Geoff Keighley Would Love Nintendo To "Be A Big Part" Of Summer Game Fest

FRsnz_JVcAACVVj.jpg

Nintendo presenting at these sorts of industry events is always weird because of how dramatically behind they've fallen from the rest of the industry in terms of presentation

obviously I love them for it and really don't have much appreciation for the cutting edge but to me it seems that when it comes to the rest of the industry Nintendo's only winning move is not to play
If you look at the direction things are moving, I think Nintendo is more ahead of the curve than behind it.

It's really not the technical presentation that makes Nintendo stand out at the Geoff shows, it's that Nintendo and Geoff have very different outlooks on what a "significant" game looks like, and Nintendo is by far the most divergent publisher that gets a lot of free exposure in the TGAs basically by default.

They get 2 mid Directs at most a year now. We used to get 6-10+ Directs a year back in 2012-2015.
Can't disagree but that's because all their hype releases are set for Switch 2. Compared to like 2019-2022 it's not as good since we've been getting remasters and remakes for the most part. It's lately on the same level as Geoff Keighley, Playstation, Xbox, and other shows. Tho Nintendo directs in general are on a different level imo. I can't remember the last time others delivered. Playstation just recently put out garbage.

Last edited:
They get 2 mid Directs at most a year now. We used to get 6-10+ Directs a year back in 2012-2015.
If anything was haphazard it was the Direct schedule during those years. Back then we had Directs that were region-specific, plenty that focused on a single console (3DS or Wii U), and many that covered the same games through consecutive Directs.

These days the schedule is pretty much set at three general Directs a year (Spring, Summer, Fall) for all regions at the same time with an Indie World showcase before or after and the occasional game-specific Direct for certain titles. Not to mention we get plenty of new reveals during those general Directs as well.

If anything was haphazard it was the Direct schedule during those years. Back then we had Directs that were region-specific, plenty that focused on a single console (3DS or Wii U), and many that covered the same games through consecutive Directs.

These days the schedule is pretty much set at three general Directs a year (Spring, Summer, Fall) for all regions at the same time with an Indie World showcase before or after and the occasional game-specific Direct for certain titles. Not to mention we get plenty of new reveals during those general Directs as well.
And a lot of Directs, especially in the Wii U era, filled dead air with skits because Nintendo had a dearth of things to actually show.

More like the yearly Fall Direct. Sometimes Spring. Occasionally Summer.

I don't think Keighley has ever showed an active dislike of Nintendo.
I can't recall an instance of this.
I haven't watched any of these shows since the infamous Joel McHale one but all I remember was how rushed Nintendo stuff would always be and any time he had a conversation with Reggie it felt oddly aggressive to me. Like I'm pretty sure it was something Geoff said that prompted the whole "Not the same game, not the same content" quote from Reggie. People started noticing stuff like this and he was actually asked about it and his response to the strange interactions was something along the lines of "Oh that's just me and Reggie shooting the shit, we're actually besties!" Could be I'm misremembering since it's been so long now but those vague memories lingered in my mind.

More like the yearly Fall Direct. Sometimes Spring. Occasionally Summer.
No, I stand by what I wrote; Nintendo has settled on three general Directs during the Spring, Summer, and Fall. The only time that has changed is when real world events like the Covid Pandemic forced them to alter plans.

Geoff's vision for the game industry is clearly very different from Nintendo's. The games he choses to emphasize in his shows couldn't be further away from Nintendo's image. It's easy to see why they rarely work with him.

Geoff shows a ton of video games at his shows, but one time he had Gary Busey show up to present so with that I concluded that he actually hates video games and prefers films.

I’ve seen him say multiple times that he encourages the publishers to show gameplay in their trailers at his shows. That said, I saw a couple trailers with cinematics at SGF last year so he was clearly lying.

He also provides a large platform for indie games to be shown alongside bigger AAA games, and I know Nintendo and Nintendo fans hate indie games so Nintendo probably very much disagrees with the kinds of games he presents at his shows.

Were they?

I only recall people having opinions on Cristopher Judge's speech, and while I'm sure many were upset, a lot of people also just memed on it.
anecdotally i personally recall seeing a lot of discourse on the (as usual) reddit threads and thinking it was a shame that it seemed like noone gave a fuck for anything other than the reveals

6-10 directs you obviously include game dedicated ones. I honestly don't care, 3 general directs is all I want. I know we have to wait longer now but usually are better than the old wii u / 3ds times.

And a lot of Directs, especially in the Wii U era, filled dead air with skits because Nintendo had a dearth of things to actually show.
Doug Bowser is probably happy that Nintendo these days can show games in the directs instead of him having to do amateur comedy skits to fill out the direct.

Pikmin is NICHE? 😭

I don't know if the top seller in Japan for weeks at a time, a headlining game in Nintendo's roadshow, and a multimedia franchise, is niche. I think perspectives of "niche" Vs "mainstream" have been MASSIVELY skewed by a few breakthrough mega series.

Bayonetta 3 sold more than Twilight Princess HD. Are Zelda remakes niche? 😅
Keep in mind that the Japanese gaming market isn't the Worldwide gaming market. There's games that are extremely popular in Japan whilst only being mildly popular to outright unknown outside of Japan.

Pikmin sold ~3 million copies in total, but half of those sales were within Japan. The rest was fanned out across other regions.

By contrast, Metroid is a franchise that generally does well overseas but sells like absolute ass in Japan. You can't really compare worldwide gaming trends with the Japanese market that easily or defer to it as a guideline for popularity. It's a uniquely large and pretty insulated market compared to other regions. Just because it's popular in Japan doesn't mean it's popular everywhere else.

So yes, by an international definition, Pikmin is niche.

I know that sone people look back at the wiiu era with rose tinted glasses but tbh the amount of directs in that era was a big marketing mistake from Nintendo.
Even then the only important direct were still the early jan-feb direct, the e3 one and the late year direct, the rest were just padding and showing the same games over and over.
And since they announced most of their games in the insane jan wiiu 2013direct, most people expected every year another super big the sky is falling direct while instead they would just get the same game announced that year showed yet again with new trailers, Xenoblade x had 3 years of direct presence and I think after a while it just felt like it would never came out, same thing with yoshi whooly world, a game announced in 2013 and it got a full interview spotlight in the big 2015 e3 direct after it was already released in europe btw.
In the end the big amount of direct just ended with fans getting tired of seeing the same games over and over in hope for a release date. It’s like if after the 2017 jan presentation nintendo had multiple directs for the entire year showing us Arms until it released in june 2018 while we wait for games to be released.
So yeah I much prefer the switch approach, only big directs with upcoming releases and if we need more news on games just give us a new trailer or a game direct if there’s a lot to talk.

Geoff shows a ton of video games at his shows, but one time he had Gary Busey show up to present so with that I concluded that he actually hates video games and prefers films.

I’ve seen him say multiple times that he encourages the publishers to show gameplay in their trailers at his shows. That said, I saw a couple trailers with cinematics at SGF last year so he was clearly lying.

He also provides a large platform for indie games to be shown alongside bigger AAA games, and I know Nintendo and Nintendo fans hate indie games so Nintendo probably very much disagrees with the kinds of games he presents at his shows.
Are you sure? Nintendo and Nintendo fans hate indie games?? Isn't it AAA mega games that Nintendo fans loathe?

I know that sone people look back at the wiiu era with rose tinted glasses but tbh the amount of directs in that era was a big marketing mistake from Nintendo.
Even then the only important direct were still the early jan-feb direct, the e3 one and the late year direct, the rest were just padding and showing the same games over and over.
And since they announced most of their games in the insane jan wiiu 2013direct, most people expected every year another super big the sky is falling direct while instead they would just get the same game announced that year showed yet again with new trailers, Xenoblade x had 3 years of direct presence and I think after a while it just felt like it would never came out, same thing with yoshi whooly world, a game announced in 2013 and it got a full interview spotlight in the big 2015 e3 direct after it was already released in europe btw.
In the end the big amount of direct just ended with fans getting tired of seeing the same games over and over in hope for a release date. It’s like if after the 2017 jan presentation nintendo had multiple directs for the entire year showing us Arms until it released in june 2018 while we wait for games to be released.
So yeah I much prefer the switch approach, only big directs with upcoming releases and if we need more news on games just give us a new trailer or a game direct if there’s a lot to talk.

As someone who has an ongoing personal project going through each direct (by region and game too!), I can definitely echo the points made here. A lot of the early directs were repeat games shown in each region and in each direct. I still haven't made it to the switch era, so I am still going through each individual regions direct but yeah, games are shown and mentioned for quite a few directs until they come out.

What I actually tend to miss most about the Wii U era isn't the number of directs, it's actually the humor that was in them. I mean you just won't get Nintendo x Robot Chicken in the current switch era and I think that's sad. It never felt as forced to me as Geoff and the Muppets at TGA (and I love the Muppets!). It just felt like Nintendo being Nintendo. Not sure if it's just me, but I have seen a couple hints of that returning in some of the most recent directs/marketing.

All that being said, I don't mind the now usual February-June-September schedule of things. Did you know between October 2nd 2012 and December 5th 2012 there were 6 directs? That seems crazy high!

Long post short though Nintendo already went through their growing pains for these types of things in the Wii U era and seems to have things generally figured out now. I still don't think Geoff really does and maybe SGF and TGA are still kind of going through those...especially for TGA I want more awards and time for devs talking and less random live service games I won't ever play.

Based off their participation with Geoff lately.

just feels like Nintendo doesn’t have any interest in participating for summer games fest. And makes sense when they have a general direct. They don’t need to be at that event. And Sunmer Game Fest isn’t exactly a “big” I feel. There doesn’t seem to be any kind of talked afterwards. But granted I don’t watch it ever so I could be wrong, I genuinely don’t recall major reveals on there.

No wonder why he is so close with Kojima!

Ur last statement is absolute bs, almost to the point I want to believe ur jking? Indie games sells most on the Switch next to PC. Nintendo was the first one to put out dedicated indie showcase.

Are you sure? Nintendo and Nintendo fans hate indie games?? Isn't it AAA mega games that Nintendo fans loathe?

Ur last statement is absolute bs, almost to the point I want to believe ur jking? Indie games sells most on the Switch next to PC. Nintendo was the first one to put out dedicated indie showcase.
/s (the entire post)

Man… Xbox had a Indie direct, but shit had ads.

Like Indies is an important aspects of Nintendo consoles, especially in the early years of the Switch, which cultivate a culture of buying smaller scale games, which are prominently Indies.

No, I stand by what I wrote; Nintendo has settled on three general Directs during the Spring, Summer, and Fall. The only time that has changed is when real world events like the Covid Pandemic forced them to alter plans.
2022 they skipped a Summer Direct. This year they skipped the Spring direct.

No, Partner showcases aka "shit, we have contractual obligations to announce these 3rd party games but bungled our own games schedule. Hit the partner showcase button!!" don't count.
6-10 directs you obviously include game dedicated ones. I honestly don't care, 3 general directs is all I want. I know we have to wait longer now but usually are better than the old wii u / 3ds times.
2012 had 8 worldwide, non-game-specific Directs + E3. 2013 had 8. 2014 and 2015 had 4 major Directs + tons of game-specific ones.
2016 is when it fell off due to there being no games

No, Partner showcases aka "shit, we have contractual obligations to announce these 3rd party games but bungled our own games schedule. Hit the partner showcase button!!" don't count.

2012 had 8 worldwide, non-game-specific Directs + E3. 2013 had 8. 2014 and 2015 had 4 major Directs + tons of game-specific ones.
I think Nintendo skipping directs this year is just because most of their resources are going into making Switch 2 games, so they don't have enough content this year to have as many directs as they usually have.

Nah. You have to count Partner directs too if we are counting every single direct form the time frames you mentioned in previous posts.

Like it wouldn’t actually hurt your argument either technically since Partner directs are not seen in the best light. Like, we got 3 partner directs in one year or we got no partner directs in one year. Either way, it’ll probably end up in your favor during an argument lol

Regardless. The changes in direct seems to reflect necessity and mindshare. Which Nintendo needed and had none back in Wii U. Switch has them comfortable probably and don’t have to be hastily with the directs. A shame, but can’t say I miss having so many directs (personally obviously). 3 generals in a predictable timeframe is good. Bonus indies and game specific directs are cool. Tho with switch 2 on the horizon. We might start getting more directs after it launches to keep interest up. Right now it seems Nintendo is just in standby mode

Nah. You have to count Partner directs too if we are counting every single direct form the time frames you mentioned in previous posts.

Like it wouldn’t actually hurt your argument either technically since Partner directs are not seen in the best light. Like, we got 3 partner directs in one year or we got no partner directs in one year. Either way, it’ll probably end up in your favor during an argument lol

Regardless. The changes in direct seems to reflect necessity and mindshare. Which Nintendo needed and had none back in Wii U. Switch has them comfortable probably and don’t have to be hastily with the directs. A shame, but can’t say I miss having so many directs (personally obviously). 3 generals good. Bonus indies and game specific directs are cool. Tho with switch 2 on the horizon. We might start getting more directs after it launches to keep interest up. Right now it seems Nintendo is just in standby mode
For the time-frames mentioned I just counted major Directs that were worldwide, including Wii-U and 3DS-only Directs. Those were clearly big-deal Directs even if they focused on a single platform.

Honestly I'm not against having a small quantity of Directs/reveal events each year. If Nintendo had 2 big blowout events a year (like E3 and Spaceworld) I'd prefer that. Give me a schedule like that, or surprise me more frequently with a 2012-2013 Direct schedule, 6~ smaller events every year where a big reveal could come at any time. The more frequent Directs would help market smaller games better too, would give titles like Another Code R more than 1 direct appearance.

The problem is this current Directs schedule exist in a shitty middle ground. We get 2-3 Directs a year on a haphazard cadence (sometimes Spring is skipped, sometimes Summer). None are ever blowouts, usually only having 1-2 big reveals. And one of the yearly Directs is always stinker or mid. Imo at that point just save the reveals for a bigger event than inconsistent dripfeeding then.

Part of the problem is Nintendo doesn't like reveal games more than a year from release. I think they should reneged on that a little bit.

Those Partner Directs count, they were the same length of a normal Direct and showcased new games coming to the system. You may want to discount them for some weird, arbitrary reason but they absolutely stand as the seasonal Directs during those times.
Those early years were also when Nintendo was not only working on trying to nail down the basic outline of a Direct but also grappling with trying to stay relevant with a portable system that didn't quite catch the audience of its predecessor and a flagging home console. Plenty of those Directs covered the same games through consecutive showings and even went into the minute details of things like system features to cover time.

In contrast, while there may be less Directs during the Switch era they cover a lot more games then we saw in 3DS/Wii U Directs with very few repeats over consecutive Directs and less padding over all.

Those Partner Directs count, they were the same length of a normal Direct and showcased new games coming to the system. You may want to discount them for some weird, arbitrary reason but they absolutely stand as the seasonal Directs during those times.
I think it's fair to say Partner Directs aren't on the same level as a mainline Direct. The reason most people watch Directs is for Nintendo reveals, and they have none. Everytime a Partner Direct is revealed as one and not a normal Direct it's been meant with disappointment lol

“These shows are really ****ing expensive,” one insider says, referring to both Summer Game Fest and The Game Awards. According to pricing details shared with me by multiple marketing professionals who requested anonymity, running a trailer during Summer Game Fest’s main show this year cost $250,000 for 1 minute, $350,000 for 1.5 minutes, $450,000 for 2 minutes, and $550,000 for 2.5 minutes. They also say last year’s edition of The Game Awards featured the same pricing tiers.

I think it's fair to say Partner Directs aren't on the same level as a mainline Direct. The reason most people watch Directs is for Nintendo reveals, and they have none. Everytime a Partner Direct is revealed as one and not a normal Direct it's been meant with disappointment lol
Do you have official stats on that?

And it's not like Nintendo is pulling the rug out from anyone on that. They announce when something is a partner showcase ahead of time. And before you cite the online anger at the Bakugan presentation, that was in 2020, was meant to be part of Nintendo's E3 content, and with E3 cancelled because of COVID they still had a contract to fulfill.

I mean let's be honest, most partner showcase have been better than general directs in the wiiU/3ds era. I don't understand why the amount of directs seems to be so important.

The partner direct that started with Monster Hunter Rise was genuinely one of their best in general.

I mean let's be honest, most partner showcase have been better than general directs in the wiiU/3ds era. I don't understand why the amount of directs seems to be so important.
I'm sure that the teams responsible for Directs would love it if they never feel the need to commission Jim Henson or the Robot Chicken team again.

They can't control fan expectations, but Nintendo treats these just the same as their general Directs. The fanboys can complain all they want; that doesn't change that Partner Directs are still Directs.

I think one reason people look more fondly on old directs is moreso because the production values on old Nintendo Directs just were... weird. Stuff like the exaggerated Reggie boxing with Iwata or the entire thing being presented as a tour of Nintendo offices/Reggie's house. There's also stuff like Reggie's sunglasses lasers or Iwata holding a banana to introduce a gaming.

Basically old directs are just weird in a way that new directs with their clean, sleek "Nintendo executive before the green screen" simply aren't. Also just... more personal opinion but the Direct hosts just aren't that interesting to me. The dubbing of Direct trailers is probably the one most aggravating thing about Directs as of late. It's Nickelodeon style dubbing with that fake overexcitedness.

People mostly remember the Muppets one for some reason, but that one was just kinda in-line with Nintendo's general approach back then.

People mostly remember the Muppets one for some reason, but that one was just kinda in-line with Nintendo's general approach back then.
Muppets Direct was unironically one of my favorite Directs ever. The BTS video of Miyamoto visiting Jim Henson Studios did big things for my heart.

I think one reason people look more fondly on old directs is moreso because the production values on old Nintendo Directs just were... weird. Stuff like the exaggerated Reggie boxing with Iwata or the entire thing being presented as a tour of Nintendo offices/Reggie's house. There's also stuff like Reggie's sunglasses lasers or Iwata holding a banana to introduce a gaming.

Basically old directs are just weird in a way that new directs with their clean, sleek "Nintendo executive before the green screen" simply aren't. Also just... more personal opinion but the Direct hosts just aren't that interesting to me. The dubbing of Direct trailers is probably the one most aggravating thing about Directs as of late. It's Nickelodeon style dubbing with that fake overexcitedness.

I swear the headlines format with the Nickelodeon host voice is simultaneously the most sterile and grating way to announce something lol.

Last edited:
Yeah… I no longer question why Nintendo doesn’t want to be a part of it now. Good lord.

“These shows are really ****ing expensive,” one insider says, referring to both Summer Game Fest and the Game Awards. According to pricing details shared with me by multiple marketing professionals who requested anonymity, running a trailer during Summer Game Fest’s main show this year cost $250,000 for one minute, $350,000 for one and a half minutes, $450,000 for two minutes, and $550,000 for two and a half minutes. They also say that last year’s edition of the Game Awards featured the same pricing tiers.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/a61006534/summer-game-fest-explained/

Muppets Direct was unironically one of my favorite Directs ever. The BTS video of Miyamoto visiting Jim Henson Studios did big things for my heart.
And it amounted to a lot of talk about things other than the game that entire skit was supposed to promote.

At the end of the day, Furukawa and (Doug) Bowser don't want to make a habit of putting on elaborate time fillers when there are plenty of games to talk about instead.

And also, on a sad point, the Muppet sketch was used to disguise Iwata's severely declining health.

Back
Top Bottom