• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

Are people now expecting physical media to go with the other consoles approach of installing straight to internal storage rather than having the run straight from the cart?
Like, surely the cost of producing the carts will be considerably higher than the Switch's if it's fast enough to run straight off the cart?
Depends on the publisher. I expect certain AAA publishers are going to try to do some "actually you gotta download the whole game onto the internal storage" bullshit.

Nah, I'm not talking about making one MH game per gen. What I meant is that it is more efficient to release one game across all viable platforms than to segment the development and marketing pipelines like they did with World and Rise.
Oh I see. Well yeah I do everything going forward to be multiplat day 1 then. I think the only reason it didn't happen for Rise was because an exclusivity contract they had with Nintendo.

so when can expect Nintendo to begin the mass production/manifacture of Switch sucessor? this summer/fall?

That’s the question. Depends on how many units they think would be enough for release. And they will likely do a full announcement (similar to October 2016) when they begin mass production

But aren't you even better off releasing two games on as many viable platforms as possible? Rise was the Switch-aimed Monster Hunter, but still ended up everywhere. Just this time around, it'll be easier for Switch to get the PS-aimed Monster Hunter as well. In the end, not so different from having several multiplatform Resident Evils throughout a generation.
Right. What I'm saying is that unless the Switch successor is so far behind the other consoles (and it doesn't seem like it will be this time, especially with the Series S around) that it needs a bespoke version of MH, there is no need to aim these games at a specific type of platform going forward. So:

- The World team would release a more traditional MH day 1 on all platforms.

- The Rise team would release a more experimental MH day 1 on all platforms two years later.

One marketing cycle, one DLC cycle, etc. Rinse and repeat. It would be similar to how Call of Duty used to alternate between Infinity Ward and Treyarch.

The thing is that in 2-3 years (from today, not Drake release) you are getting PS6 and Xbox Next which will probably double the RAM.
I would bet against that. RAM is getting more and more expensive every generation, that's why RAM jumps are slowing. The highest end cards right this second have 24 GB of RAM, and run $1500+ USD. I truly doubt there will be 32GB, sub $500 consoles in 2-3 years.

The discussion about the specs coming from this very thread is being discussed in a bunch of other places (Reddit, Resetera...).

It's the first time I've seen Famiboards mentionned so much in such a short time.
If you or anybody else wants perspective on how much traffic the recent discoveries has generated: I've seen the RAM and storage numbers discussed on Instagram. I don't follow anything tech related on there, yet it found its way on my feed.

If you or anybody else wants perspective on how much traffic the recent discoveries has generated: I've seen the RAM and storage numbers discussed on Instagram. I don't follow anything tech related on there, yet it found its way on my feed.

Kotaku (specs), Nintendolife (code name) too :)

Super Nintendo: No CD drive
How is this a bad thing? all other CD add ons turned out to be complete wastes of money and failed and it's not like They didn't try.
GameCube: No full-DVD size game disc,
This was done to combat piracy and for faster loading times
no online support
It did have online support
limited cartridge sizes for publishers,
No? They have the same sizes available as Nintendo does
downclocked cores holding back performance,
This had to be done for battery life reasons, the original switch barely had 3 hours of battery life, did you want it to be even less than that?
no USB-3 support,
There is a port usb 3.0 port on the dock but it's limited to usb 2.0 speed for an important reason, usb 3.0 causes wireless interference near the port, enough that some WiFi and Bluetooth dongles have warnings about using a USB 3.0 port or have extensions to use with them. It would fuck up joy con connectivity.

These are intentional design decision that have good reasons to be the way they are, not because "Nintendo is so silly and cheap lmao XD".

I would bet against that. RAM is getting more and more expensive every generation, that's why RAM jumps are slowing. The highest end cards right this second have 24 GB of RAM, and run $1500+ USD. I truly doubt there will be 32GB, sub $500 consoles in 2-3 years.
Gen10 won’t be $500, it will be $600 at minimum, and 32GB of RAM is safe bet,specially for PS6 what is Late 2028, Xbox is rumored to be Late 2026

I wonder how much of the common denial of the possibility for Switch 2 being fabbed on 4N is from the misunderstanding that 4N = 4nm which is an easy mistake to make (and at the end of the day I think much of this is just marketing), with 4nm being perceived as very new. Meanwhile it may be easier to convince people that Nintendo would go with 5nm which is actually what TSMC 4N is.

As far as I know 5nm chips have been in manufacturing since 2020, and just for comparison of recency, LPDDR5X RAM was introduced in 2021. We are reasonably predicting Switch 2 to use the latter based on the recent finds, even Apple and Google have only just started to incorporate 5X in their phones and tablets, so the device is showing to be reasonably current. Therefore it seems fair to expect a 5nm chip besides the other reasons that have already been discussed.

These are intentional design decision that have good reasons to be the way they are, not because "Nintendo is so silly and cheap lmao XD".
To add on, the 'Switch not outputting 4K/HDR despite the TX1 supporting it' - outputting 4K still consumes system resources to linear/nearest neighbor upscale the content to 2160p to send the signal to the TV, with many Switch games not rendering past 1080p (barely) and there not being many streaming apps, what would be the point? Better to save it for marketing the next machine. Same with HDR, which usually goes hand in hand with 4K output even if you could technically output a 1080p HDR signal, it's better to wait and guarantee a device that could do the full 4K 60 HDR on modern television sets. The tablet screen wasn't HDR so there would be a loss of parity between modes in that respect. I'm also not sure if the HDMI 1.4 chip in the dock would have supported a 1080p 60 HDR signal, I know it could do 4K 30.

Last edited:
Do you think with the magnets that was labeled in the shipping data for Switch 2 and the joy-cons will prevent Nintendo from using hall effect sticks? With having to replace 4 joy-cons on the regular switch, I figured analog stick durability will be a priority for the next console
could it? possibly, but not probably. hall effect sensors work by having a smol magnet and a magnetic hall sensor in extremely close proximity to detect the changes in the field produced by that magnet. all of the other magnets in the joycon, be it from the rails, speakers, trigger assembly (if nintendo were to use something like the xbox controllers trigger mechanism), vibration motors, are far enough away that even if there are magnetic field fluctuations from them, it would be too weak compared to the magnet close to the hall sensor.

the strongest magnet would probably be in the rails, and even if that would interfere with the joystick, thankfully it would only be happening in certain circumstances where youre not using the joysticks themselves (cus youre too busy connecting them to the switch body, or each other, or 👀 other addons). by the time you go back to using the joystick, the field will have settled and be ready to detect the joystick magnet

but will nintendo use hall effect joysticks? :LOL: that is the question isnt it

I wonder how much of the common denial of the possibility for Switch 2 being fabbed on 4N is from the misunderstanding that 4N = 4nm which is an easy mistake to make (and at the end of the day I think much of this is just marketing), with 4nm being perceived as very new. Meanwhile it may be easier to convince people that Nintendo would go with 5nm which is actually what TSMC 4N is.
Haha yeah. People definitely not including me probably think that because they didn't notice that N is different than nm. Haha, that's definitely not me.......

Oz-and-surrounding-countrie.jpg

6aacos0pygaz.jpg

So I’m guessing Muji is the codename for the codename.

Damn… Nintendo really is the only company that would create 2 codenames to keep the real codename secret.
What if the code name is the word codename

If there are really 2 codenames and muji exist only to protect the other codename it should be a spoilery one, no?
Or Muji could in fact truly be a placeholder - using "Muji" cuz it sounds somewhat cooler and more tangible than Japanese equivalent of "TBD".

If there are really 2 codenames and muji exist only to protect the other codename it should be a spoilery one, no?
It's possible "Muji" really IS a placeholder. Not in the sense of meaning it, but used as one... I mean, you can interpret it as "blank slate", if you like.

I liked Muji a lot, honestly I'm surprised if it turns out it really is Oz.

Super Nintendo: No CD drive
Nintendo 64: No dedicated sound chip, no CD drive
GameCube: No full-DVD size game disc, no online support
Wii: No HD support
Wii U: Using the same core design as Wii, slow UI
Switch: No support for 4K or HDR output despite X1 supporting it, limited cartridge sizes for publishers, downclocked cores holding back performance, no USB-3 support, Wi-Fi chip held back by system limitations

There's always been a "because Nintendo" since the very beginning. Going way back to NES, Kutaragi thought it was old technology and underpowered which is why he lobbied Nintendo to build the SNES sound chip and then the SNES CD add-on.

PS1: Poor 3d hardware leading to wobbly models and texture
PS2: Bad disc drive prone to breakage. Weak hardware that we are still suffering from today (Tales of Symphonia HD). No online support without an adapter like GCN
PS3: $599, Cell Architecture, 256mb RAM
PS4: Weak CPU, 3 hour battery life controller
PS5: No 1440p support at launch. No 8k output. 4gb OS only 12gb for games. Poor retro game emulation

Xbox: Paid online
Xbox360: RROD
XboxOne: Kinect, Weak CPU, the digital fiasco
Xbox Series: Ram starved Series S, expensive expansion storage

Everybody's Nintendo

O is one character after N and Z is two characters after X
one character, 2 character. 1,2. 12. 12 GB RAM. CONFIRMED

(i'm joking btw but I feel like the intention of OZ being a few characters away from NX seems somewhat plausible)

So... What happened to
Screenshot_2023-08-21-21-37-49-47_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
If this is a real codename and we all are not being bamboozled, that's the real question.

Is it possible they opted for Oz (shifting one more character), instead of Oy, because it could be obsfucated as "Ounce" in other places - like the name of the SSl trust certificate file @Serif linked above on Switchbrew page?

But I thought Muji was the codename the insiders knew about all along but didn't reveal until it surfaced here?

Maybe they knew all along that this wasn't the codename they knew all along, but the actual codename was known by them all along, for sure.

Is it Ounce / Oz? In version 16.0.0 released on Feb 21 2023, there's a file added named "ssl_TrustedCerts.Ounce.info"

+ the hint given by @finite
I'm skeptical. How has this person verified for sure that it is the real codename? Is there anything inside the file that suggests that? They're a dataminer, not necessarily someone with industry connections as far as I can tell.

I just don't understand the point of Nintendo trying to obscure the codename to the point of coming up with a fake one (Muji); and then using it in SDK filenames which they will have to replace and edit code to point to the new ones. That seems a bit counter-productive. They're also apparently using it on the dev portal. How would this benefit Nintendo? The whole point of a codename is so you can refer to something without using its real name - so Nintendo could refer to the next system to developers without a chance of the retail name being leaked.

But I thought Muji was the codename the insiders knew about all along but didn't reveal until it surfaced here?

Maybe they knew all along that this wasn't the codename they knew all along, but the actual codename was known by them all along, for sure.
it was the ones known by the semi-insiders, or clout holders as I like to say, in this thread

it was ostensibly not the one known to the real insiders

I just don't understand the point of Nintendo trying to obscure the codename to the point of coming up with a fake one; and then using it in SDK filenames which they will have to replace and edit code to point to the new ones. That seems a bit counter-productive. They're also apparently using it on the dev portal. What would be the point?
Not a fake codename, if Muji was in fact an actual placeholder. maybe.

it was the ones known by the semi-insiders, or clout holders as I like to say, in this thread

it was ostensibly not the one known to the real insiders

Yeah, I'm not talking about the folks at this thread who have been digging through the documents all this time. Its natural they would genuinely believe the codename was really Muji.

It's people that take credit for that hard work that is the problem.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom