• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

I was playing some 3DS on my meta quest 3. It's just a huge screen floating in front of you with the best stereoscopic 3D effect I have never seen on the 3ds itself. So good!
Man now I wanna try this. I'm amblyopic, meaning that I can't see the 3D effect of the 3DS.
Maybe I will be able to do so with this? This would be literally life changing for me. The desire to see something in 3D has been haunting me since more than a decade.

For BC, it's all a balance of cost vs value.
The value of the Nintendo Account's percieved integrity is effectively infinite (there is no cap on how high it can push Nintendo's value), so long as investors value it, and Nintendo has worked to explicitly tie Nintendo Account engagement to their valuation or at the very least shareholder perception.

Plus as hardware gets older, a software solution for it (emulation) becomes easier and cheaper over time. Even if we assume they can't or won't provide a software layer between every generation, the value proposition of just providing the last generation is reasonably high, and the barrier for entry with generations below that is low.

I just see a confused person. I don't see any visible anger.

Also, why did this thread go completely off topic and become about him? Can we go back on topic please?
I apologize for digging in to much. Dude makes me angry. I don't think he means well, but I admit that is probably out-of-line.

What is in line is the ethics of the detective work we do here. There is a reason we keep things in hide tags and don't link to the names of people on LinkedIn. Dave has hurt people, and he promotes technical misinformation, which will inevitably flood the zone. I think both of those things are worth discussing.

But again, I apologize for stirring the pot.

The value of the Nintendo Account's percieved integrity is effectively infinite (there is no cap on how high it can push Nintendo's value), and Nintendo has worked to explicitly tie Nintendo Account engagement to their valuation or at the very least shareholder perception.

Plus as hardware gets older, a software solution for it (emulation) becomes easier and cheaper over time. Even if we assume they can't or won't provide a software layer between every generation, the value proposition of just providing the last generation is reasonably high, and the barrier for entry with generations below that is low.
Massive value in 1-generation of BC. Totally agreed. The cost and value of supporting older generations may or may not be a bigger story.

I feel like the build up to this is going to be more exciting than the actual device, won’t have anything to look forward to anymore.

Although being able to look forward to new games on better hardware will be pretty sick.

Massive value in 1-generation of BC. Totally agreed. The cost and value of supporting older generations may or may not be a bigger story.
Consider Nintendo Switch - Nintendo continues to profit from EVERY generation of their hardware. Wii and GCN through Hagi ports, Wii U ports, DS remakes, GBA, N64, GBC, SNES and NES subscriptions.

Nintendo has also stated that they want to keep legacy content available on their systems wherever possible.

Given Nintendo Switch's extensive legacy catalogue continues to sell and grow, the value is there. If future systems have an integrated, shared eShop, wouldn't it be easier for everyone, and cheaper for Nintendo, to create one size fits all solutions and simply continue to sell what they are already selling. Meanwhile they preserve their intent and projection of continued growth in the value proposed by a Nintendo Account to the user. Failure to do so would rightly be derided as greedy unless the formfactor should change so much as to be totally incompatible, something an XR headset isn't.

Consider Nintendo Switch - Nintendo continues to profit from EVERY generation of their hardware. Wii and GCN through Hagi ports, Wii U ports, DS remakes, GBA, N64, GBC, SNES and NES subscriptions.

Nintendo has also stated that they want to keep legacy content available on their systems wherever possible.

Given Nintendo Switch's extensive legacy catalogue continues to sell and grow, the value is there. If future systems have an integrated, shared eShop, wouldn't it be easier for everyone, and cheaper for Nintendo, to create one size fits all solutions and simply continue to sell what they are already selling. Meanwhile they preserve their intent and projection of continued growth in the value proposed by a Nintendo Account to the user. Failure to do so would rightly be derided as greedy unless the formfactor should change so much as to be totally incompatible, something an XR headset isn't.
I'm not disagreeing with you.

I'm just leaving open that when Switch 4 comes out that Nintendo might not see value in making sure that Switch 1 games run.

Personally, I think they will see value in that.

That's not indian. He says it's a Russian accent and he likes doing impressions. And he's mocking himself. How's that racist? And who the hell is this guy anyway?

Imagine coming into this thread excited to see what's new hardware wise and learning new relevant hardware info, and all you see is drama talk of Nintendo Prime or MVG or Metal Dave or whoever else. Who TF are these people and why should I care? Did I step into the wrong thread? Where's my Thraktor/LiC/oldpuck etc interesting hardware posts?
He already apologized for being out of topic. Let's just leave it at that.

this is why he should never get attention lmao. He just can't help himself but milk it with bs.
To be fair, I have to give him credit for finding the next gen trailer for metroid prime 4. I honestly thought he was done doubling, tripling, x-ing down and AMD.

I mean you think after the fact that Nvidia helped Nintendo with a robust API and architecture advance enough to get the most third party support Nintendo had seen in decades that he would stop the whole AMD routine. Then again, I haven't really watched his channel in years.

What is in line is the ethics of the detective work we do here
Yes! This is why I'm here and I like it a lot. It is what makes me come back here daily. I honestly couldn't give 2 shits about all these youtubers, especially not in this thread. I like the good stuff you provide here.

I feel like the build up to this is going to be more exciting than the actual device, won’t have anything to look forward to anymore.

Although being able to look forward to new games on better hardware will be pretty sick.
Im kinda the opposite. I’m feeling particularly meh right now, but once the baby is revealed, I will be hyped for months, looking forward to the camping out in the line for launch day unit.

Kinda annoyed at Nintendo for being so secretive all this time when we know what we know all this time but at the same time Nintendo is also not jumping the gun in any way here. The timing (unless Nintendo ends up not releasing until like 2025) seems to be just right - not a moment too late or soon

But I wouldn't be surprised if 7 years from now that Nvidia would have a custom ARM CPU for Nintendo's purposes rather than having to go through Arm Ltd., a concept we've already seen the fruits of with Grace.
Just to be clear, Nvidia's using Arm's IP, specifically Arm's Neoverse V2 IP (here and here), for Grace.

I could see them move to an Nvidia implementation of RISC-V in the far future if the situation with ARM corp changes.
I don't really see that happening in the foreseeable future, especially with Nvidia having a 20 year Arm licence. And the RISC-V ecosystem is currently not very well established, going by the presentation at the RISC-V Summit by Moonki Jang from Samsung.

So you think in the future Nintendo will go back to having multiple consoles at one time? A portable and a home console maybe?

I don't really see that happening in the foreseeable future, especially with Nvidia having a 20 year Arm licence. And the RISC-V ecosystem is currently not very well established, going by the presentation at the RISC-V Summit by Moonki Jang from Samsung.
RISC-V is really interesting and I can't imagine any company in the hardware space not investigating it and investing in it at some level. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see RISC-V in a future Nintendo hardware product, but it will be something incidental - like as part of an HDMI encoder that they bought from another company or something else that's not the main CPU or GPU.

Honestly, ARM has phones locked down for the foreseeable future, just like X86 is unlikely to get dislodged as main CPU for gaming PCs.

The path for RISC-V is likely to be embedded processors where a manufacturer can save on licensing costs long term and then a new application that nobody has had success with before or if we're really going wild, Apple will take the first big splash like they did with motorola -> powerpc -> X86 -> ARM.

So you think in the future Nintendo will go back to having multiple consoles at one time? A portable and a home console maybe?
Nah, I think they'll stick with one if it kills them. Nintendo Switch today, Nintendo Switch tomorrow, Nintendo Switch forever. The only periods with multiple devices should be the cross gen periods, much like their competitors who only have home consoles. Even if they move beyond the Switch formfactor, I think they'll do so by ending the formfactor of Nintendo Switch rather than having two product lines.

That said they do have flexibility and product "families", as long as they're compatibility they could absolutely have a home console variant of a system, just like they have a handheld only variant out right now.

As much value as they see in GCN games now at least, which isn't zero!
We're splitting hairs here. I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying that BC survives until nintendo doesn't see the benefit of supporting old sales and continuing to sell old games that haven't been refreshed by other means. It becomes a special thing like Super Mario Sunshine on the Switch.

Nah, I think they'll stick with one if it kills them. Nintendo Switch today, Nintendo Switch tomorrow, Nintendo Switch forever. The only periods with multiple devices should be the cross gen periods, much like their competitors who only have home consoles. Even if they move beyond the Switch formfactor, I think they'll do so by ending the formfactor of Nintendo Switch rather than having two product lines.

That said they do have flexibility and product "families", as long as they're compatibility they could absolutely have a home console variant of a system, just like they have a handheld only variant out right now.
Ohhhh i see, So the XR headset would be an addition to the Switch family? Cause that would be lame to commute on the train with a XR headset on lol

We're splitting hairs here. I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying that BC survives until nintendo doesn't see the benefit of supporting old sales and continuing to sell old games that haven't been refreshed by other means. It becomes a special thing like Super Mario Sunshine on the Switch.
But that's not what I'm saying, I'm saying that's not relevant because we already have clear evidence they do value their legacy content and there's no reason why that would stop.

Ohhhh i see, So the XR headset would be an addition to the Switch family? Cause that would be lame to commute on the train with a XR headset on lol
Oh, no, if they do an XR headset, I think they'll do it INSTEAD of a new generation of Switch, or even outright label it Switch 5, and I think the expectation really woild be to use them on the train like we do with handhelds now. An XR headset has to have incompatible experiences to stand out, and while they maybe could do that with just one member of a product family, I think they'd more likely just make their next product family pure XR.

As much value as they see in GCN games now at least, which isn't zero!

I'm not sure where your going with this, because referencing GCN games on Switch highlights the idea that Nintendo does like to resell old games. We do not know exactly how BC will be handled on SNG let alone hardware that will release over a decade from now.

I personally see NSO being the place where Nintendo plans to put its legacy software going forward. So regardless if its handled natively through hardware or with emulation, NSO will be the primary way to play Switch games on Switch 3. Could Switch 3 support your entire library of Switch games right out of the box? Sure, but its also possible Nintendo will break compatibility and instead move their library of Switch first party games onto NSO. At this point, there is no clear indication of what things will look like down the road.

But that's not what I'm saying, I'm saying that's not relevant because we already have clear evidence they do value their legacy content and there's no reason why that would stop.
They valued Gamecube BC until the Wii U (or that other Wii hardware design if we want to get pedantic) and Wii (and Wii U) until the Switch. They supported DS (and 3DS) until the Switch.

There can and will be reasons that backwards compatibility will have less value than cost. We just haven't seen (and may never see) where that happens for the current Switch.

None of my 3DS, DSi, Wii, or Wii U eShop (or whatever it was called in each instance) purchases are downloadable and work on the Switch. None of my Wii U discs or 3DS cartridges work on the Switch.

They found reasons to drop backwards compatibility.

Oh, no, if they do an XR headset, I think they'll do it INSTEAD of a new generation of Switch, or even outright label it Switch 5, and I think the expectation really woild be to use them on the train like we do with handhelds now. An XR headset has to have incompatible experiences to stand out, and while they maybe could do that with just one member of a product family, I think they'd more likely just make their next product family pure XR.
If they were to do that then they would need to sell it with a pro controller? A headset and controller don't seem super portable to me.

If you wear a VR helmet on public transit, someone is going to steal your backpack, just out of the principle of the thing.

Very interesting turn of phrase.
Sorry, I just so hunger for news about a new Switch device to play games on.

Screenshot_2024-01-30-21-05-17-19_572064f74bd5f9fa804b05334aa4f912.jpg

If they were to do that then they would need to sell it with a pro controller? A headset and controller don't seem super portable to me.
I agree, but that's a problem for future Nintendo to figure out. I imagine it could be something like Joy-Con, wireless controllers that attach to the unit to charge, sync and be transported. When you want to play you take it out of your bag, slide it onto your eyes like glasses, or strap it over depending, and slide the controllers off to play. It could then project UI elements between the two controllers to be used like a touch screen. But this is generations and generations in the future; I'm talking about it because with minimal news on NG Switch, I guess we end up talking about the flavour of the day. This happens to be XR thanks to Apple's fancy VR headset (I'll call it spacial computer if they write me a cheque and not a minute sooner.).

Last edited:
I need to figure out how one actually gets the invite to the investor bridge as a holder of NTDOY. I would assume 400 shares.

@Shareholder Chad any insights?

First off, You don't.

NTDOY/NTDOF is an ADR (American Depository Receipt). Think of it as a bank or entity who holds the real shares (TYO: 7974) from the Tokyo Stock Exchange then sells them at a 1:1 (or 1:4, 1:8, etc.) ratio to americans. Why? Because you need to be a citizen of Japan or prove permanent residence to acquire true Nintendo stock. The shareholders meeting is in Kyoto Japan in June and thats where you hear about those crazy fans that buy $4000 worth of Nintendo stock to ask.....certain questions. (Remember F-Zero? Splatoon 3 boy customizations?, Guy complaining about getting to Kyoto?). If there is way involving NTDOY then I do not know it and I doubt it exists.

Of course you "could" find someone in Japan to buy it for you but it would still be registered in their name and you wouldn't get access. Basically any workaround involves not putting your name on the shares thus invalidating the reason to do it if you want to be involved in the shareholder meetings and such. Dual Citizenship is NOT possible and not supported by the Japanese government. There are some exceptions for kids but they have to choose before their 20's I think. I can't really go into detail as to why I have access to the TSE but it is a LEGAL route. I have to make regular trips to see government officials at the Japanese embassy in Washington, DC.

Last edited:
First off, You don't.

NTDOY/NTDOF is an ADR (American Depository Receipt). Think of it as a bank or entity who holds the real shares (TYO: 7974) from the Tokyo Stock Exchange then sells them at a 1:1 ratio to americans. Why? Because you need to be a citizen of Japan or prove permanent residence to acquire true Nintendo stock. The shareholders meeting is in Kyoto Japan in June and thats where you hear about those crazy fans that buy $4000 worth of Nintendo stock to ask.....certain questions. (Remember F-Zero? Splatoon 3 boy customizations?, Guy complaining about getting to Kyoto?). If there is way involving NTDOY then I do not know it and I doubt it exists.

Of course you "could" find someone in Japan to buy it for you but it would still be registered in their name and you wouldn't get access. Basically any workaround involves not putting your name on the shares thus invalidating the reason to do it if you want to be involved in the shareholder meetings and such. Dual Citizenship is NOT possible and not supported by the Japanese government. There are some exceptions for kids but they have to choose before their 20's I think. I can't really go into detail as to why I have access to the TSE but it is a LEGAL route. I have to make regular trips to see government officials at the Japanese embassy in Washington, DC.
Or just Crash at Nintendo headquarters (actually, don't do that)

I was playing some 3DS on my meta quest 3. It's just a huge screen floating in front of you with the best stereoscopic 3D effect I have never seen on the 3ds itself. So good!
image.png

I posted this before I believe, but in my mind, it'll looks like this. The Mock-up is just a headset with that 3D effect in it. There would be a slider to adjust the 3D. Knowing Nintendo, they might even add a Gyro sensor in it. :p
A headset is more convenient than a 3D screen on the console itself, since you won't be forced to be in handheld mode only. With the headset, you can game with this 3D effect in both handheld and docked mode.

I believe there was once a time where people thought Splatoon came to 3DS, (which obviously couldn't) and the idea of playing Splatoon in 3D made some people hyped. (this is what I read on a Dutch forum back in the day). And yes, if this could become a thing, a Splatoon with 3D effect would be possible and quite fun. Aswell as other big titles from major companies. Like, we got Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition on 3DS launch, imagine Street Fighter 6 to be in the same way. Or maybe if we got our hands on Red Dead Redemption II with the 3D effect. I'd also like to see the Call of Duty series having such feature. I won't say the 3D effect is a game changer, but visually it was marvelous.

"So to recap, new Legend of Zelda movie! Super Nintendo World will be greatly expanded! More Switch 1 remakes and remasters are on the way!"

(someone asks a question)

"What's that you said? Switch 2? IDK lol. Thanks for attending the presentation today" leaves podium
"Furukawa, the Switch is currently in its seventh year on the marke-"

Furukawa:
mike-tomlin-tomlin.gif

image.png

I posted this before I believe, but in my mind, it'll looks like this. The Mock-up is just a headset with that 3D effect in it. There would be a slider to adjust the 3D. Knowing Nintendo, they might even add a Gyro sensor in it. :p
A headset is more convenient than a 3D screen on the console itself, since you won't be forced to be in handheld mode only. With the headset, you can game with this 3D effect in both handheld and docked mode.

I believe there was once a time where people thought Splatoon came to 3DS, (which obviously couldn't) and the idea of playing Splatoon in 3D made some people hyped. (this is what I read on a Dutch forum back in the day). And yes, if this could become a thing, a Splatoon with 3D effect would be possible and quite fun. Aswell as other big titles from major companies. Like, we got Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition on 3DS launch, imagine Street Fighter 6 to be in the same way. Or maybe if we got our hands on Red Dead Redemption II with the 3D effect. I'd also like to see the Call of Duty series having such feature. I won't say the 3D effect is a game changer, but visually it was marvelous.
so the switch tablet would slide into it or is it stand alone?

In all likelihood we will see the reveal happen within the next 90 days. Have we basically gotten the majority of info we can expect to get from leaks at this point? With the recent reporting about the 8" screen getting a lot of buzz, but really, that was originally reported on many months ago, so its more like further confirmation rather than new leaks. Andy of VGC has been silent, nothing from Digital Foundry, Grubb or Nate in a long time. So maybe this is roughly the gist of the leaked out info we can expect prior to Nintendo actually announcing. A successor to Switch, 8" screen, fast internal storage and powered by NVidias T239. Cant wait for that sweet sweet reveal trailer to drop.

In all likelihood we will see the reveal happen within the next 90 days. Have we basically gotten the majority of info we can expect to get from leaks at this point? With the recent reporting about the 8" screen getting a lot of buzz, but really, that was originally reported on many months ago, so its more like further confirmation rather than new leaks. Andy of VGC has been silent, nothing from Digital Foundry, Grubb or Nate in a long time. So maybe this is roughly the gist of the leaked out info we can expect prior to Nintendo actually announcing. A successor to Switch, 8" screen, fast internal storage and powered by NVidias T239. Cant wait for that sweet sweet reveal trailer to drop.
I think so, yeah. Barring clock speeds and RAM amounts, there's not much else that would be new to us.

Precisely, it could stream the gameplay via a cord or wireless. But no Switch to slide into it. Idk, that how it would work into my brain.
Idk guys I just don't see the vision lol I think gamers like holding their games in the palm of there hands, some tangible they can pass around to friends or show off to people. Plus this vision goes against Nintendo bringing family together. VR is very isolating

Question about the 1080p screen. I've seen some talk about how the screen will be a battery drain and how not even the Steam Deck opted for a 1080p screen, and that Nintendo should have went with a 900p screen. (I don't think this myself, I believe Nintendo is going to aim for a device that is in the same ballpark as the Switch when it comes to battery life)

But if the games are rendering internally below 1080p, will it even matter? Or does the screen's power consumption come down to the amount of pixels it has to light and nothing more regardless of what the resolution is?
Thank you guys for the answers regarding this screen question a few pages back.

Idk guys I just don't see the vision lol I think gamers like holding their games in the palm of there hands, some tangible they can pass around to friends or show off to people. Plus this vision goes against Nintendo bringing family together. VR is very isolating
Say no to VR…

Here’s that clip (starts at 29:29 if the linked timestamp doesn’t work)

Oh man, I just watched it and it shows you how there's two type of people in the world. One who just laughs it off and the other who can't handle a "L"

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom