• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

This looks untealistic, the bezels will be atleast 5mm, if not bigger.

Sadly bezels don‘t go beyond 0./s
This is based on measurements provided which I sourced from real, actual LCD panel devices, LG G6, PlayStation Portal, and LG 55SVH7E display.

LG 55SVH7E is a(n old, at this point) LCD information display with sub-1mm bezels.

Last edited:
Is there a better process node than TSMC 4N available or in the works? The reason why I'm asking this is because shrinking it for later is how we traditionally got major price drops for later revisions or just revisions in general. While the Switch never got a price drop, it did get a pretty substantial node shrink that helped make the Lite margins (and size) possible. So beyond the initial Switch 2 launch, how would redesigns and stuff fare beyond an OLED revision? Is a Lite even possible?
There is like 3nm or will be in very soon like 2nm but im doubt If there will be any die shrinking dosent make sense for small chip like that, looking at TSMC Roadmap Switch 3 or whatever it will be called should be 1.4nm

This is based on measurements provided which I sourced from real, actual LCD panel devices, LG G6, PlayStation Portal, and LG 55SVH7E display.

LG 55SVH7E is an information display with sub-1mm bezels.
You expect such small bezels from Nintendo? Fine. It‘s also a matter of durability.

So if March is the month what’s everyone’s prediction for the day of a teaser/announcement? Personally I’m picking the 26th. Giving a week for the Peach game to run it course.
March 8 is close to release date of BOTW (March 3). So some kind of 7th BOTW anniversary event maybe, if not Direct?

I of course hope for a Direct, but playing a bit of devil advocate here on what it could be.

@Paraspikey Is March 8 what constitutes a "amiibo restocking event" on your end? I'm not sure if March 8 is a new one, separate from Feb 4 date previously mentioned (just making sure March 8 Gamestop ordering is not just stemming from the Feb 4 amiibo restock event)

Edit: Paraspikey have commented on March 8 here.

Last edited:
You expect such small bezels from Nintendo? Fine. It‘s also a matter of durability.
They've explicitly stated their desire for small bezels (in their developer interview on OLED Model, I believe, discussing a larger screen fitting in the same size device) and have designed extremely cheap devices with tiny bezels in the past (New Nintendo 2DS XL). Even consider how small the bezel is between the upper LCD and the hinge is on any 3DS model.

Do you really think they'll increase the screen size for no consideration for their userbase's comfort? That seems much further afield.

They've explicitly stated their desire for small bezels (in their developer interview on OLED Model, I believe, discussing a larger screen fitting in the same size device) and have designed extremely cheap devices with tiny bezels in the past (New Nintendo 2DS XL). Even consider how small the bezel is between the upper LCD and the hinge is on any 3DS model.

Do you really think they'll increase the screen size for no consideration for their userbase's comfort? That seems much further afield.
From what are you concluding I think they are increasing the screen size at all (or as much)? Of course they‘d decrease the bezels, but it probably won‘t be that much (regardless of screen size). Whatever, screen size was discussed more than enough the last few pages, let‘s talk about something else until we get new information.

Sure.

supernintendoswitch3.jpg
Thank you for making this, I was very curious about this. As I expected, the difference is barely noticeable when the bezel is minimised. Looking good!

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.

I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

All those moments will be lost in time. Like tears in rain.
Excellent answer. How poetic. Beautiful.🥹

Why aren’t we responding like that all the time?

I know it‘s a Blade Runner reference.

Wind Waker HD Switch port with Amiibo support is my best guess.
I would HATE if they replace the Tingle Tuner/Bottle with an Amiibo item. Euuuuwwwww.

But yeah possibly.

While we're at it, aren't Amiibo themselves "future hardware"? I wonder if next gen will see more secure Amiibo.

Yeah I guess now would be a good time to finally release WW+TP on the Switch. A 2D entry would probably be saved for the Switch 2 at this point.
If they save a 2D Zelda for the successor it better scoop the eyeballs out of my face with the lighting and colour or I'll be wondering why it isn't cross-gen.

Yeah I guess now would be a good time to finally release WW+TP on the Switch. A 2D entry would probably be saved for the Switch 2 at this point.
I believe I saw that the twilight princess wolf amiibo was getting another run this summer. Imo a TP remake could really show off NG DLSS capabilities. It's such an atmospheric game

I believe I saw that the twilight princess wolf amiibo was getting another run this summer. Imo a TP remake could really show off NG DLSS capabilities. It's such an atmospheric game
It's not in summer, it's in March.

Wait, Southern Hemisphere.

Carry on.

If they save a 2D Zelda for the successor it better scoop the eyeballs out of my face with the lighting and colour or I'll be wondering why it isn't cross-gen.

It would probably be cross gen, but it's just a better strategy to time the release after the Switch 2 launches anyway.

LG 55SVH7E is a(n old, at this point) LCD information display with sub-1mm bezels.
My Redmi 9T has really small bezels, with a 1080p LCD screen costing less than 200 dollars. If Xiaomi can do it, Nintendo can too.

Thought I would share the mockups with a 7.9in screen I created over the past few months just for reference lol. There's a lot so I'll throw it in a spoiler.

switch2design.png

supernintendoswitch.jpg

How it compares to the OLED with a similar size bezel. (slightly bigger buttons/sticks)

switch2mockup2.jpg

In white with the SUPER treatment, and compared to the Portal.

fakesnsleak.jpg

Shopped over a competitor's 8in screen device (forget which it was).

The size of the mockups above were partially inspired by the potential joycon info we found in the shipping data, which was about this much bigger than current JoyCon:
joycon2.jpg

Super-Nintendo-Switch.jpg

BONUS! SUPER INSPIRED SUPER SWITCH!

Speaking of the angles.. How much is too much?
switch2_angles.gif
this looks sooo good. would it be possible to separate the joystick and buttons a little more? feels like it would be awkward to reach to grab the joystick when in single con mode.

If color, what do we think they'll go for:

1) Colored lettering like on the n3DS XL
new3dsxl-02.jpg

2) Full colored buttons like on the n3DS
aHR0cDovL28uYW9sY2RuLmNvbS9oc3Mvc3RvcmFnZS9taWRhcy8zZjQyM2MyYmYyYjhjNGUzOTViZmVlMGU2ZjI2NDcwZi8yMDA5NjcyOTUvZHMyLmpwZw==

3) Both 1 and 2, with two different SKUs (a 'sleek' one and a 'fun' one like with the first Switch) having different types of buttons on their joy con

1 is my personal preference for a dark color joy-con while 2 looks really cute on a lighter one. Like pieces of candy on a vanilla soft serve.

new3dsxl-02.jpg

aHR0cDovL28uYW9sY2RuLmNvbS9oc3Mvc3RvcmFnZS9taWRhcy8zZjQyM2MyYmYyYjhjNGUzOTViZmVlMGU2ZjI2NDcwZi8yMDA5NjcyOTUvZHMyLmpwZw==

3) Both 1 and 2, with two different SKUs (a 'sleek' one and a 'fun' one like with the first Switch) having different types of buttons on their joy con

1 is my personal preference for a dark color joy-con while 2 looks really cute on a lighter one. Like pieces of candy on a vanilla soft serve.
Fully coloured buttons with white lettering on carbon black Joy-Con. BUT, possibly with a grey circle around the two button pads a-la SNES.

Sorry-not-sorry.

I think they really need to be unsubtle, simply colouring the letters was far too subtle on New Nintendo 3DS XL. Meanwhile we have to consider the UX advantages of colourdy buttons, which would be minimised if not completely removed by it just being the lettering, unless you make the lettering bigger (like Xbox).

Plus one advantage of the colours is that in split Joy-Con play, the "Red" button is the same on both controllers. With only colouring the symbols, that means that the ABXY diamond would have tiny touches of colours while the D buttons would have HUGE coloured triangles. That sounds less visually noisy, but it isn't, it makes it less symmetrical, while making both fully coloured improves symmetry -> happy human brain.

I wouldn't be too surprised if next generation went back to indenting the symbols on buttons like GBA and N2DSXL. As for colourful face buttons with black or white casing and die cast coloured symbols, that's what the Lite has. It's cute but I don't think it would suit their big bad next gen console.

Indenting the buttons and using a gloss texture for the symbol with matte for the rest is what's used on the Lite D-Pad and the D buttons, AND the HOME button. If they want to cut costs without sacrificing looks, this is also cheaper than the current ABXY buttons' die cast manufacturing, all while improving symmetry.

As explored before I think there will only be one (dark) colourway at launch, and I think dark case colourful buttons makes a good impression.

Last edited:

new3dsxl-02.jpg

Big fan of option 1. I like the subtle look.

But at the same time we're also rapidly approaching the point of diminishing returns for marketing a bigger screen - one doesn't want a handheld with TOO BIG of a screen.
With the option of reducig bezels I don't think they'll increase the size of the device too much, even with a 8inch screen

new3dsxl-02.jpg

Option 1 is nice, while option 2 is more likely. Since colored button theory is basically confirmed, I really consider the name Super Switch even though it sounds too much like a Pro for my taste.

Option 1 is nice, while option 2 is more likely. Since colored button theory is basically confirmed, I really consider the name Super Switch even though it sounds too much like a Pro for my taste.
Since when was button theory confirmed? Sure it's shown up in a few games, but there's also games such as Mario RPG which were touted as evidence but don't actually fall into line if you were to look at more than the battle UI.

The size of the mockups above were partially inspired by the potential joycon info we found in the shipping data, which was about this much bigger than current JoyCon:
joycon2.jpg
Btw what is the estimated height of the new controllers based on shipping data?
For reference the PS Portal is 6 in, the ROG Ally / Steam Deck ~4.3-4.6 inch.

I’m definitely late considering I’m confused as to what the shipping data implied exactly.
Also, is AV1 a pretty good deal? Or is it a fairly minor addition? I remember seeing that Nintendo is hiring for it.

I’m definitely late considering I’m confused as to what the shipping data implied exactly.
Also, is AV1 a pretty good deal? Or is it a fairly minor addition? I remember seeing that Nintendo is hiring for it.
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

My only concern about larger Joy-Con is the controllers right now are the perfect size for motion-based games like Switch Sports. I hope it doesn't feel too big and bulky when playing games like that on Switch 2.

I prefer Option #2. Go big (loud) or go home.

Also, if colored button theory ends up being true & confirmed, I don't think Option 1 makes sense when all those colored buttons we saw in the screenshots and clips were Option 2.

Seeing all these mock ups just make me realize that the new joycons are going to have to be shaped different. Maybe not PS Portal different, but if Nintendo wants this to be visually distinctive from Switch 1 and its myriad of color schemes, screen size alone won’t do it, unless… maybe with almost no bezels it’ll be distinct enough… but screen size and therefore console size can always get lost in how it’s portrayed. This thing is going to need a distinctive shape, aka distinctive joycons.

Seeing all these mock ups just make me realize that the new joycons are going to have to be shaped different. Maybe not PS Portal different, but if Nintendo wants this to be visually distinctive from Switch 1 and its myriad of color schemes, screen size alone won’t do it, unless… maybe with almost no bezels it’ll be distinct enough… but screen size and therefore console size can always get lost in how it’s portrayed. This thing is going to need a distinctive shape, aka distinctive joycons.
Totally agree. Needs to be clearly a different generation device imo.

My only concern about larger Joy-Con is the controllers right now are the perfect size for motion-based games like Switch Sports. I hope it doesn't feel too big and bulky when playing games like that on Switch 2.
Wii Remote was significantly bigger and bulkier, doubt it approaches that.

My Redmi 9T has really small bezels, with a 1080p LCD screen costing less than 200 dollars. If Xiaomi can do it, Nintendo can too.
Chinese phones have the benefit of cheap labor and manufacturing costs. Also, producing them in bulk is also something to consider.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom