• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

c75343I_d.webp

I'm gonna be real with you man this does look dumb and terrible
Don't worry, not everyone is a MS paint hero :)
this is a good point though. nintendo probably didn't want to make this monster but nvidia's stupid chip forced them to
Sounds legit

We were fouls to ever leave CRT.
The CRT was so heavy I had to cut my arm off with a pocket knife to get away from it, no going back.
this is a good point though. nintendo probably didn't want to make this monster but nvidia's stupid chip forced them to
It's not like NVIDIA would have been working on this thing and then be caught totally off guard by the size it ended up. If a size limit was a priority, they'd have made it so.

Here's more examples showing off the Reflective-IGZO displays.

Very impressive stuff! The Sharp rep at CES states that one of these (pretty large) displays he's showing off would normally consume 50w and the Reflective-IGZO is only using 1.5w. This is the kind of things about new tech that intrigues me....

Also added this one about QDEL, as this is something I could totally see in Switch 3 or maybe even a refresh model instead of OLED panels.
They go into details about what makes OLED expensive to make and that QDEL panels can be manufactured in the same environment as LCD panels.

Last edited:
The CRT was so heavy I had to cut my arm off with a pocket knife to get away from it, no going back.

It's not like NVIDIA would have been working on this thing and then be caught totally off guard by the size it ended up. If a size limit was a priority, they'd have made it so.
If we ever got SED you’d have to take that back.

In recent years there have been some clownery (I cheered tho) but bottom line, They do not say what they do not want to say. Its not like a sports media interview where they grill the head coach until the guy makes a mistake and outs a player for playing bad. The questions themselves usually get boring answers. Its why I don't actively participate in most of these. I can go to sleep and get the translated info the next day before market open. Most of the time it is a waste of time. The June meeting I mention below is where I network and hear all the rumors in person from Japanese institutional investors attending. Some rumors end up true, Some end up complete dogwash.
Lol at the first part. Yes they’re totally giving out corpo answers, it was more of a sick dream where logic went out the window and everyone started stirring the pot in an uninvestorlike fashion
But oh well. Knowing their MO, even under that amount of tension, they probably would stay stone faced and stick to revealing whatever was planned to be revealed in the draft

Here's more examples showing off the Reflective-IGZO displays.

Very impressive stuff! The Sharp rep at CES states that one of these (pretty large) displays he's showing off would normally consume 50w and the Reflective-IGZO is only using 1.5w. This is the kind of things about new tech that intrigues me....

Also added this one about QDEL, as this is something I could totally see in Switch 3 or maybe even a refresh model instead of OLED panels.

The reflective IGZO display is like a dream coming true.

hopefully it’s not too bad and you get to enjoy it when it comes out
I still haven‘t given up that the screen could be smaller. The report seems to not be the very best, as multiple users have noted. Though, the most important thing for a Console isn‘t the hardware but the games, so even if it‘s a 8“ screen it won‘t lessen my enjoyment.
Wait…
Has anyone confirmed it has games? If it hasn’t, I‘m screwed.

Last edited:
that great to hear im curious if Nintendo can or will innovate new gameplay ideas with HDR and Ray Tracying.
Unless you want to play "pick out the colors", you're not going to make new gameplay with hdr. Especially when not everyone even has an hdr panel or can see the differences

most ray traced gameplay has been done already. There's not much left to do there, I think

LCD have their own problems too

Considering that's a simulation of years of usage, that's pretty damn good. Especially since a lot of them aren't even visible when content is playing

I'm glad the screen is bigger, hopefully the rest of the system is also bigger. Meatier grips/joy cons. It doesn't have to weigh a ton even so, and will be more comfortable for everyone.

Ye of little faith.

The OG screen looks small even when compared to the OLED and the latter’s hardware is almost non-noticeably bigger.

Look at this Portal vs OLED comparison for example. Imagine the Portal with Joy Cons. It’s not really much bigger - at least to the point of being dumb or terrible.

IMG-8981.jpg

Also worth pointing out that we might have got an 8” screen because Nintendo needed bigger hardware for all the innards. The screen may have just been a product of having more space to work with.
but will Switch sucessor be comfortable to hold? after i play for long extended period of time, i start feeling uncomfortable

but will Switch sucessor be comfortable to hold? after i play for long extended period of time, i start feeling uncomfortable
That really hasn‘t anything to do with screen size, they‘d only have to make the buttons a bit bigger, add a real D-pad and deliver a grip for handheld mode together with Switch 2. I don‘t thinks screen size influence’s comfort in any way (the only way it does, is if the screen is too big, something like 10“)

If everything is bigger, doesn’t that mean 8nm is more propable than ever? hmm.
Just because something is bigger doesn't mean the node process is bigger. I don't know where that logic came from.

Take this for example. You're comparing a laptop made in 2016, and a laptop made in 2024. The 2016 laptop is small 13", the 2024 laptop is bigger 17" one.

Is your logic really saying that the 2024 laptop therefore has older/bigger node process?

Last edited:
Just because something is bigger doesn't mean the node process is bigger. I don't know where that logic came from.

Take this for example. You're comparing a laptop made in 2016, and a laptop made in 2024. The 2016 laptop is small 13", the 2024 laptop is bigger 17" one.

Is your logic really saying that the 2024 laptop therefore has older/bigger node process?
I feel like it’s a little dodgy to assume the only reason Nintendo would add a larger screen is because they were forced into a larger chassis because they chose an inferior and potentially more expensive process node.

I feel like it’s a little dodgy to assume the only reason Nintendo would add a larger screen is because they were forced into a larger chassis because they chose an inferior and potentially more expensive process node.
Yeah.

Nintendo head #1: "TSMC 4N, cheaper in bulk, or SEC8N, more expensive node process?

Nintendo head #2: "Well, if we do the more expensive SEC8N, that means bigger body, we cannot fit 7" screen in there anymore. We'd have to go with 8" screens instead. It's cost us even more"

Nintendo head #3: "Sounds like we are all agreed then. We'll do the more expensive SEC8N node process, which forces us to go with more expensive screens as well"

c75343I_d.webp

I'm gonna be real with you man this does look dumb and terrible

This just... Isn't being realistic.

A modern 7.91" LCD wouldn't need to have bezels that big to begin with; it really would fit in a body barely bigger than thw current Nintendo Switch, while increasing market appeal (people like big screens on rhe whole) and the functionality of handheld. Nintendo also knows their devices are designed for children three and up, realistically even with a big screen it's not going to be all that much bigger because children's hands are only so big.

It's similarly unrealistic to suggest that this is T239's fault. Not only could a "large" 8nm T239 fit in a Nintendo Switch casing and be adequately cooled thanks to its overbuilt cooling system, and remember - T239 is realistically not likely to be on this node, bigger nodes are essentially off the table, and the original Tegra X1 was 20nm MOSFET. If 0.75TF of performance from 20nm MOSFET fits in a Nintendo Switch sized package, then there isn't much concern about chip efficiency affecting device size since we're staying in the realm of ARM and Nvidia.

Nintendo and Nvidia have worked together on this since 2019, and have worked together on silicon together for much longer than that. T239's design simply isn't "stupid", if anything I think that's a bit of an insult to Nvidia's engineers. T239 is incredible, a design that on 4N could get nearly Series S performance out of a handheld no bigger than Nintendo Switch. Meanwhile, it's unlikely that it is a node larger than that. It was sampled and tested alongside Nvidia's 4N products, after all!

7.91" from 7" is not the sort of size jump that indicates the internals need some great amount more room to spread their legs. Nintendo and Nvidia are working with highly integrated SOCs, to even have workable yields they have to have a certain smallness about them, and it's not realistic to suggest a chip we know so much about is some ballooned monstrosity, when it's not. It's a handheld SOC provided to Nintendo from Nvidia. Nintendo's handhelds aren't Steam Deck thick nor ROG Ally big for a reason.

If you meant this as a joke, well, joke's on me I guess, but I'm not sure this is the thread for that.

Last edited:
Don‘t write the devil on the wall or we‘ll get Wii U all over again.

didn't the playstation portal literally just come out

Teardowns of it were posted in this thread. The screen does not require all of the space under the bezel. Even just looking at the device head on, look at where the screen meets the analogue stick.

PlayStation Portal is also a $200 dollar accessory with a screen chosen to suit the DualSense controller. It has a bezel- which on the left and right side accommodates controllers. Imagine if the Joy-Con attached as close to the edge of the screen of Nintendo Switch as the encasement of the analogue stick does on PS Portal, that would be less than 5mm of bezel. Even at that, when it's clear that Portal does not quite require the bezels it has, it's also an accessory, and not the flagship product for an entire company. A bigger screen is marketable, and so are small bezels.

Of course there's my beloved LG G6, which in 2017, not 2023 mind, 2017, had truly tiny bezels on a lovely, bright, colourful LCD display. LCD is not somehow incompatible with small bezels; such sentiment is simply false.

And please, I beg of you, to read and respond to a comment in full. Per the end of my last post, I don't even know if I'm being punked here. Are you being for real?

Any chance that Nvidia/Nintendo create a Switch emulator that runs games at a higher resolution? Since it can run the CPU and most of GPU instructions native shouldn’t a emulator be able to handle the non native instructions while making games that aren’t 720p run at 1080p?

Or is that just a foolish thing?
Microsoft already does this with OG Xbox and 360 emulation and going into DirectX to up the resolution, so theoretically, yes?

Whether NVIDIA can do a similar thing with NVN is TBA. I lean towards no.

Form a tech pow:
Larger chassis means easier heat management and more room for battery, so its advantageous regardless of their fab node of choice.
Form a marketing pow:
You'll want your new console to look distinctive from the old one at first glance (and also look more premium I would add).
A larger screen is an effective way to do that.

Last edited:
I'm glad the screen is bigger, hopefully the rest of the system is also bigger. Meatier grips/joy cons. It doesn't have to weigh a ton even so, and will be more comfortable for everyone.
I personally hope the new joycons are more ergonomic but I doubt the Switch 2 will be much heavier or bigger. Nintendo makes their products for all ages so they need to consider children and little people and big people, all across the spectrum of ages and sizes. Personally, I think the original Switch size is the max that they probably would want to go.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom