• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

The rumor was a 7.91“ screen and I don‘t think the rounded number means anything for the bezels, even through bezels‘ll probably be a bit smaller than the bezels of OLED Switch.

That’s really funny because that is almost EXACTLY the size of the whole body of the current switch.

H: 4.01" or 102mm W: 6.81" or 173mm

Diagonal size is ~7.91” or 200.3mm

That’s really funny because that is almost EXACTLY the size of the whole body of the current switch.

H: 4.01" or 102mm W: 6.81" or 173mm

Diagonal size is ~7.91” or 200.3mm
It would make sense to not have it too much bigger than Switch (if the rumor is true, which is now a 60/40), and anything beyond 8.5“ just doesn’t work for a handheld, you‘d get instant cramps while holding it.

Obviously, the Switch 2 will feature an ultrawide screen in handheld mode, allowing the screen to be 8 inches while retaining the height of the Switch 1 😉. /s

Ladies and Gentlemen…. We got ‘em:

e9f865aa3eb04dd0866008c257d56473

Because switch serves as their home system as well as their hybrid, thus I will judge it based on both factors. It was fine in 2017 but not fine when 2021 came along. Third parties are one thing, but first party games struggling to run is another.
If first party games really are struggling so bad, then I fail to see how a Switch Pro would have been anything other than a band-aid fix. Nintendo using the excuse of "just buy a Pro lol" when the base console is merely 4 years old hardly sounds like a solution to me.

I honestly want it to be bigger. I don't want the Switch 2 to look just like the switch.
I‘d rather want Switch 2 to be a camshell. It would protect the screen and it would allow it to have a bigger screen, while being the same size or even smaller. The problem with docked mode would be solved by detachable screens, they patented recently.

It will not happen but I am hoping for a smaller, dockable next Switch too. Playing the Switch in bed is not as fun as playing the New 3DS (not XL) because of the weight. Also smaller size and less weight is always better for taking it with you. Either less overall weight in the backpack or more space to take other stuff with you. But I know this will not happen because just looking at the smartphone trend everything just gets bigger and bigger. Thats why I bought an iPhone 13 mini last year and I will use that until it falls apart or don‘t get updates anymore. I really hate those big ass smartphones that you can‘t use anymore with one hand.

Last edited:
It will not happen but I am hoping for a smaller, dockable next Switch too. Playing the Switch in bed is not as fun as playing the New 3DS (not XL) because of the weight. Also smaller size and less weight is always better for taking it with you. Either less overall weight in the backpack or more place to take other stuff with you. But I know this will not happen because just looking at the smartphone trend everything just gets bigger and bigger. Thats why I bought an iPhone 13 mini last year and I will use that until it falls apart or don‘t get updates anymore. I really hate those big as smartphones that you can‘t use anymore with one hand.
Same, hopefully at a certain point things‘ll get smaller again. I really hope that the next Switch is smaller, not bigger, even through it‘ll be likely more than not a monstrousity.

Last edited:
So all of this talk about OLED vs LCD screens got me thinking what could make Nintendo see value in choosing something different.
(Cheaper) Sure, but years ago we heard rumors (during the Switch Pro era) of Nintendo in bed with Sharp to use IGZO displays in the new model.
Which brought me to searching for newer IGZO display technologies and landed on Reflective-IGZO.

Having an on the go device that has the benefit to reduce battery usage on the fly based on ambient lighting would be a unique feature.

Key features: Ultra-low Power Consumption

• Zero backlight power required in reflective mode
Exceptional Outdoor Viewability

• Full-color, full-speed video at 60Hz refresh
  • Reflective electrode structure + high contrast
  • 150 nits of brightness @ 855mW
  • -20°C to +70°C operating temperature enables a wide variety of applications
Thin and Lightweight
  • Slim, low-power backlight enables compact product designs

So all of this talk about OLED vs LCD screens got me thinking what could make Nintendo see value in choosing something different.
(Cheaper) Sure, but years ago we heard rumors (during the Switch Pro era) of Nintendo in bed with Sharp to use IGZO displays in the new model.
Which brought me to searching for newer IGZO display technologies and landed on Reflective-IGZO.

Having an on the go device that has the benefit to reduce battery usage on the fly based on ambient lighting would be a unique feature.

Thin and Lightweight

The outdoor view ability is definitely really cool.

Also, very marketable.

Last edited:

Thin and Lightweight

I always thought a reflective display with no backlight outside would be a great idea for Switch 2. Really hope they use something like this. If Switch 2 was also waterproof it‘d be the perfect outdoor device.

Last edited:
Because switch serves as their home system as well as their hybrid, thus I will judge it based on both factors. It was fine in 2017 but not fine when 2021 came along. Third parties are one thing, but first party games struggling to run is another.
Do they, though? As it was stated in a previous thread, most Nintendo games run fine.
My favorite part (not here thankfully, on Twitter and other forums) is people having selective memory about how games perform. It's fine to want new hardware, I want new hardware too eventually (to see what kind of new games are possible and what new gimmicks we'll get), but claiming stuff like that even the first party games aren't 720p/1080p is funny.

If you look at the list of first party games on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_products#Nintendo_Switch (and you exclude third party games that they publish), they have around 71 games by my count.

In handheld mode, there's only 12 games that are not at least dynamic 720-648p (Xenoblade 2 + Torna, Pokken Tournament, Yoshi's Crafted World, Link's Awakening, Xenoblade DE, Origami King and both Mario + Rabbids games, which are all 3 600p, Pikmin 3 Deluxe, Age of Calamity, Bayonetta 3 and Scarlet and Violet). And those also include the only ones that have framerate issues (at least from my experience). And realistically, stuff like the Mario RPGs and Link's Awakening still look good at their resolutions in handheld mode, especially on the smaller Switch screens, it's only the ones that have really low resolutions that have issues (but this varies from person to person).

What is the acceptable range for resolution docked for people that want a new Switch? Because it feels weird to demand all games be 1080p on the Switch when a lot of PS4/XB1 games had to drop down to 900p or lower, so I'll just assume 1080p-900p is "acceptable". Then, there's only 14 games out of the 71 that don't hit that. (Pokken Tournament, Xenoblade 2, Bayonetta 1, 2, 3, Yoshi's Crafted World, Link's Awakening, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, Mystery Dungeon, Xenoblade DE, Pikmin 3 Deluxe, Bowser's Fury, BDSP, Scarlet Violet). And again, these are the games that also generally have framerate issues. I was also generous and included as many games as possible, even games where the computational powers of the Switch was not the reason the resolution isn't high (like Wii U ports where the resolution wasn't changed, or games like BDSP and Mystery Dungeon that just run the same in both modes).

(I didn't include games that have dynamic resolutions that could theoretically be really low but they are Splatoon 2, 3, Mario Odyssey and BotW docked, handheld they're fine.) Also didn't include XC3 because it runs at 1080p docked and 880p handheld after upscale, which is the effective resolution.

So at most 14/71. I'm not sure if that's acceptable to people or not, but to me that seems fine for a console 6 years into its life.

Also, this is from my experience/analyses on YT/dev talks, there could be games where there are bad framerates or resolutions I'm not aware of.

Last edited:
Question: is MiniLED 900p 90Hz HDR doable on an 8inch potable display and would it be expensive?
Doable yes, at a price point maybe even higher than just going with OLED, hypothetically with a same sized panel also considering the same resolution + refresh rate/s + HDR capability like you proposed

Right now miniLED only really made sense on some notebooks and larger monitors, despite that everybody’s still switching, or considering switching, to OLED

Last edited:

Thin and Lightweight

This is certainly interesting, for me it raises the question of how well contrast would fare indoors & what motion performance looks like

Since we are feeling confident that Switch 2 will have UFS 3.1 internal storage, what are the options for expandable storage? UFS expandable storage seems to still be very rare. NVMe SSDs seem difficult to incorporate, as well, so I'm not sure what the options are.

god this is so dumb lmfao

what a terrible decision

Ye of little faith.

The OG screen looks small even when compared to the OLED and the latter’s hardware is almost non-noticeably bigger.

Look at this Portal vs OLED comparison for example. Imagine the Portal with Joy Cons. It’s not really much bigger - at least to the point of being dumb or terrible.

IMG-8981.jpg

Also worth pointing out that we might have got an 8” screen because Nintendo needed bigger hardware for all the innards. The screen may have just been a product of having more space to work with.

Last edited:
Since we are feeling confident that Switch 2 will have UFS 3.1 internal storage, what are the options for expandable storage? UFS expandable storage seems to still be very rare. NVMe SSDs seem difficult to incorporate, as well, so I'm not sure what the options are.
Some concern around the former was based on the fact said card market was still small to the point where people casted doubt on whether enough cards could be sourced by consumers or Nintendo.

The reason NVMe modules got the thread worried a while ago boils down to, “would it really be worth it?”, due to thermals + power consumption, also durability and ease of replacement to an extent

Ye of little faith.

The OG screen looks small even when compared to the OLED and the latter’s hardware is almost non-noticeably bigger.

Look at this Portal vs OLED comparison for example. Imagine the Portal with Joy Cons. It’s not really much bigger - at least to the point of being dumb or terrible.

IMG-8981.jpg
People just overreacting as always instead of waiting to see it

Thin and Lightweight

GBA dark reflective screens we are so back.

T
Yes, it is. 100%, slapping "OLED" on the box is a gimmick. In the same way 3D was a gimmick. And they both had downsides.

Gimmick:

"a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or trade."

Alternatively,

"alter or augment with an extra device or feature."

OLED Model's screen 100% fits either definition. It did not make the device perform better. The increased size could be done with LCD. The improved brightness could have been done with LCD. The improved colour could have been done with LCD, with the exception of pure blacks. Going with an OLED was a smart choice, but it was also a gimmick by the strictest definitions.

I agree that they are likely to make the next screen a considerable step up:

But the removal of OLED and removal of 3D are comparable "steps down": removal of substantive features (pure black, depth perception) salved with superior specifications.
This.

The fact they made the rendering exaggerated by default with the Vivid colors mode is proof that they didn’t even trust enough in the OLED screen itself, although I’m not saying it’s bad or inferior of course but it’s clearly not the « absolute perfection » so many people tell about it.

I would even go as far as saying that they could have made most of those improvements while keeping an LCD panel; and they could have exaggerated the colors on it as well, people would have said « wow » but Nintendo had to slap that « OLED Model » on the box to differentiate it.

There was a lot of criticism the moment they revealed it, I was part of it and even though I eventually bought one, I feel like it was legitimate to be very disappointed even taking the Switch Pro rumors aside.

Not implying some angry investors attending the Feb meeting will instantly make Nintendo go “Ok yes the reveal is in 2 seconds”, but it’d be fun to witness the investors in question keep bringing up the new Switch JUST to see how Furukawa reacts after 6 questions about the thing in a row

Any chance that Nvidia/Nintendo create a Switch emulator that runs games at a higher resolution? Since it can run the CPU and most of GPU instructions native shouldn’t a emulator be able to handle the non native instructions while making games that aren’t 720p run at 1080p?

Or is that just a foolish thing?

IMG-8981.jpg
c75343I_d.webp

I'm gonna be real with you man this does look dumb and terrible

Also worth pointing out that we might have got an 8” screen because Nintendo needed bigger hardware for all the innards. The screen may have just been a product of having more space to work with.
this is a good point though. nintendo probably didn't want to make this monster but nvidia's stupid chip forced them to

Any chance that Nvidia/Nintendo create a Switch emulator that runs games at a higher resolution? Since it can run the CPU and most of GPU instructions native shouldn’t a emulator be able to handle the non native instructions while making games that aren’t 720p run at 1080p?

If (that’s a big ‘if’) the Switch API has flags for that somewhere or it’s otherwise trivial then yes, I can see them doing it for, say, the 40 best selling titles, and making a big deal of it before the thing even comes out.
On a great day they enhance every game utilizing flags currently on the eShop

However I’m not familiar with NVN or whatever engine techniques they use for defining resolution limits

I think your question is relatively the same as I had a while back, so I'll just link to oldpuck's extensive answer at the time;
Q;
Regarding backwards compatibility, in my layman's understanding, the next generation switch's (T239) GPU [ampere] needs to accurately emulate (or map) the Instruction Set Architecture (ISA) of the Maxell GPU in the Tegra X1. This can exist at the driver level on the OS and within a compatibility container (akin to how the PS5 does it), where the NG switch runs at the necessary profile (running CPU at frequency X and GPU & memory clock speed at frequency Y) for Switch titles. However I presume a game that is on the cart, first has to be copied onto the NG switch itself, as it can not execute game code directly from a cart (perhaps due to security reasons and to prevent attack vectors?). I presume that NVIDIA engineers certainly have GPU simulators to validate if said compatibility layer is compliant and accurate for running the games without doing any compilation or translation at runtime.
Moreover, for patched games, the nvn2 SDK can wrap the nvn1 API to ensure minimal effort for devs to bring an updated version, and perhaps incorporate certain enhancements. I guess it's going to be likely that some games are going to be breaking compatibility, due to some computation being done in a non-compliant manner (similar to how the PS5 has some games with no compatibility).

Would the scenario(s) above be accurate to reality?

Answer;
There are multiple ways for a video game to send work to the GPU. Some of them are sending commands like "Create a box", "apply this texture to the side of the box." These commands come one at a time from the game code (which runs on the CPU) and are very standard across GPUs.

These commands are easy to emulate. A program runs on the CPU, and gets between the video game and the GPU. When a command comes through, it simply replaces the original command with an equivalent one that the GPU actually understands. But this is not the only way to control the GPU.

The other primary way to control a GPU is through a specialized GPU program called a shader. These shader programs are compiled, just like any program, from a programming language that is designed for a human into microcode, which is designed for the computer.

If you are running a game inside an emulator, you perform a similar process for shaders as you do for simpler commands. You trap the shader on it's way out of the game, and replace it with one that works on the GPU you've got.

Except instead of a few dozen simple commands that you can replace one-for-one, these are whole programs. Your emulator doesn't have replacement shaders ready to go. It needs to reverse engineer what the shader wanted to do, and create a new shader in real time.

This is not hard, relatively speaking. But it is slow. Shader compilation can take half a second or longer. Games send shaders over the instant they need them, and can't continue working till the shader starts running. Which means that your game stops for half a second while the emulator makes your new shader.

The Switch uses a maxwell GPU. It's shader microcode is not compatible with the Ampere GPU inside of T239. So Nvidia will need to develop a software solution for these shaders. And that software solution will not just need to be accurate but fast. Faster than any similar technology anywhere else, than anyone has ever made*

Nvidia has a major advantage. No one has ever really needed a shader emulator that only accepts shaders from one GPU and only ever runs on a very similar GPU. It's not a problem that has ever come up before. There are lots of other backwards compatibility challenges between TX1 and T239, but this is the only one that is unusual in the industry, so it's the only one of any major concern.

*except maybe the 360 emulator that Microsoft made for the Xbox One. But it's not clear, and 360 games don't have this issue to the same degree, because DirectX 9 effectively forced developers to use a small number of shaders.

The PS5's solution is very different. The GPU in the PS5 understands the same microcode as the PS4. Because of that, Sony's solution is for the GPU to downclock itself and shut parts of itself off so that it looks as close to a PS4 (or PS4 Pro) as is possible.

PS5's solution is hardware based. Since at least part of the Switch NG solution will be software/emulation based, it's not clear if they'll do any of this or if they'll just handle it all in software.

This shouldn't be necessary. If the game copied to the NG, it would need to be loaded into memory before it could run, same as happens from a cartridge.

As you can see from the shader situation, translation at run time will absolutely be critical

There is a single SDK, the Nintendo SDK. For most games, generating a version that runs on NG will be as easy as setting a flag that says "build me an NG version." That NG version will not necessarily run without changes, but it shouldn't be a complex process. This is how Breath of the Wild came over from Wii U.

Yeah, even PS5, which has designed it's GPU in a (very impressive) way to be as accurate to the previous system as possible, there will always be something that falls through the holes.

This is why I have argued that Nintendo won't employ any of the automagic enhancement technologies that get suggested. Each bit of non-standard behavior designed to enhance games without patches just introduces a new bug path. I think Nintendo is more likely to pour their money and energy into simple "it just works" accuracy and leave enhancements to publishers/developers who chose to make NG specific patches. It's cheaper for Nintendo, more likely to be bug-free, and lets jackassy publishers decide whether or not to charge you for that 60fps patch.
Source

Not implying some angry investors attending the Feb meeting will instantly make Nintendo go “Ok yes the reveal is in 2 seconds”, but it’d be fun to witness the investors in question keep bringing up the new Switch JUST to see how Furukawa reacts after 6 questions about the thing in a row

In recent years there have been some clownery (I cheered tho) but bottom line, They do not say what they do not want to say. Its not like a sports media interview where they grill the head coach until the guy makes a mistake and outs a player for playing bad. The questions themselves usually get boring answers. Its why I don't actively participate in most of these. I can go to sleep and get the translated info the next day before market open. Most of the time it is a waste of time. The June meeting I mention below is where I network and hear all the rumors in person from Japanese institutional investors attending. Some rumors end up true, Some end up complete dogwash.

Our last line of defense for the Investors meeting will be @Shareholder Chad (if he attends to it).

My chips are in the 84th annual meeting of the shareholders in late June. That is going to be the big one and im going to Japan for it and other things during that time. Its not going to be big for Switch 2 probably but for general guidance on company strategy. I expect the "announcement", "reveal", and "release" of the Switch 2 to be independent of that meeting. I'd expect strategy details, shipment information, and little details like that for the meeting.

While the one on Feb 6th will be big in its own right, I expect a "stay tuned in march" sort of statement at best. I don't need to participate for that.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom