• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is just Beyond the Present

What is the big day 1 launch game for successor of the Nintendo Switch System?

• 3D Mario

Votes: 205 80.4%
  • 2D Mario

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Donkey Kong

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Metroid Prime 4: Beyond

Votes: 21 8.2%
  • Pokemon Legends: Z-A

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Star Fox

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • New IP

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Mario Kart

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Super Smash Bros

• Splatoon

• Animal Crossing

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Zelda

• Total voters
Niche Smash Power Stone like game characters: A lot of the characters not mentioned below but not all of them

Smash main series characters: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Inkling, Isabelle, Kirby,

We can probably do 25-30 characters for normal Smash and we're at 13 right now. The remaining 12-17 slots would be much harder.

I think the worst part of getting a new Switch is having to put a screen protector on it. I’m always so bad at putting those on.

At least the protectors got so much better nowdays, they come with all sorts of gimmicks to help apply them. I still remember the old days trying to apply Hori protectors on my DS Lite relying purely on my poor motor skills.

I think the worst part of getting a new Switch is having to put a screen protector on it. I’m always so bad at putting those on.
I did the whole take a shower get your washroom nice and steamy to weigh the dust down thing to apply a glass screen on at-the-time new Switch OLED

got hit by that one dust particle centre left. I've kept it on; I don't have the heart to go through the trouble again 🤣

hope I do better when doing the same for Switch 2

I did the whole take a shower get your washroom nice and steamy to weigh the dust down thing to apply a glass screen on at-the-time new Switch OLED

got hit by that one dust particle centre left. I've kept it on; I don't have the heart to go through the trouble again 🤣

You would loathe how relatively careless I am when applying these then. My iPhone has some lint trapped under the protector (not that much, a fiber or two) and I just couldn't be bothered to do anything about it. Life's too short...

Didn't really take that many precautions either. Just the standard "use the wet cloth, then the dry cloth, then the de-dusting adhesive, then apply" procedure, no special room, no steam, no sealing myself in a perfect vacuum!

I only ever do this when applying gel on my fingernails 🤣

I know after the December stuff from the Greek Retailer, I'd assume many people are wary of Amiibo restocks leading to stuff, though I'm under the impression the Greek Retailer got a lot of Amiibo before anyone else, which includes the Smash ones, Zelda ones, and Mario ones. No other retailer got the BOTW or Mario Amiibo restocked when they did outside of sometimes ArtSwift. The Guardian was restocked in December by the Greek retailer, though NOW it's being restocked in America via Gamestop on the 8th, which is very interesting. NA restocks have a much better history of being much closer to when something is happening, not just a vague "around 16 days before or after the restock". Take the two most recent examples with Shulk being restocked right alongside the Noah/Mio Amiibo and Joker, Banjo, and Terry being restocked on February 16th alongside the Sora Amiibo, which Joker and Banjo were restocked in November and December in different regions.

This is a much more common practice then I realized, it's complicated so I'm not sure how well to explain it. They sometimes restock a whole wave of stuff at certain less popular retailers first, probably due to some sort of stock issue that would happen if they tried to do it at the same time across the whole world.

They also sometimes restock the same Amiibo in different countries on different days to align with different events. For example, on December 16th, 2022, we got FE Amiibo restocked in AZ due to the FE Engage Overview trailer they dropped, which detailed Amiibo support. Then like, a day or two before the game's launch, we got FE Amiibo restocked in the UK.

The March 8th date is interesting because it's pretty much around the only time they would be able to reveal the Switch 2. With what we know right now and pure speculation, their current plan for the next 2 months looks something like this:
  • Late January: Peach Trailer, eShop sale, F-ZERO 99 Update, NES/SNES or Genesis NSO Update (maybe?)
  • Early February: Nintendo Direct
  • Late February: Pokemon Presents
  • Early March: Nothing
  • Late March: Princess Peach Showtime

Early March is pretty much open right now for them to do whatever they want to. I had a similar thought process with the Peach trailer before we got it this past week. If they want to get pre-orders before the Direct, and if they KNOW something is happening in early March that would make it difficult to market the game, they would need to release some trailer and promote pre-orders "now", and then we did end up getting that trailer. It wasn't a big overview, but they did a PayPal maintenance the day before, implying they expected people to start pre-ordering the game.

Since NA restocks typically are a lot closer to when a thing actually happens than the rest of the world, I'd assume this restock means something either on the week of the 5th or the week of the 11th, so basically by the 14th.

I'm assuming this is related to the Switch 2 because, even though this logic has failed me before, there really isn't anything else Zelda-related this could be for. They're already restocking for the Nintendo Live shows on Amazon JP for Early February; they probably aren't going to shadow-drop a Zelda game in March. They're still way too early in production to give us any more details on the Zelda movie or theme park, and I don't think they would give something like WW/TP HD less than one month of marketing.
Of course, March 8th is a Friday. If this means anything, I'd assume it'll be either on the 5th - 7th or 12th - 14th. I think the earlier, the better, as I would find it funny if they dropped the trailer close to the 7th anniversary of the OG Switch's launch.

I know after the December stuff from the Greek Retailer, I'd assume many people are wary of Amiibo restocks leading to stuff, though I'm under the impression the Greek Retailer got a lot of Amiibo before anyone else, which includes the Smash ones, Zelda ones, and Mario ones. No other retailer got the BOTW or Mario Amiibo restocked when they did outside of sometimes ArtSwift. The Guardian was restocked in December by the Greek retailer, though NOW it's being restocked in America via Gamestop on the 8th, which is very interesting. NA restocks have a much better history of being much closer to when something is happening, not just a vague "around 16 days before or after the restock". Take the two most recent examples with Shulk being restocked right alongside the Noah/Mio Amiibo and Joker, Banjo, and Terry being restocked on February 16th alongside the Sora Amiibo, which Joker and Banjo were restocked in November and December in different regions.

This is a much more common practice then I realized, it's complicated so I'm not sure how well to explain it. They sometimes restock a whole wave of stuff at certain less popular retailers first, probably due to some sort of stock issue that would happen if they tried to do it at the same time across the whole world.

They also sometimes restock the same Amiibo in different countries on different days to align with different events. For example, on December 16th, 2022, we got FE Amiibo restocked in AZ due to the FE Engage Overview trailer they dropped, which detailed Amiibo support. Then like, a day or two before the game's launch, we got FE Amiibo restocked in the UK.

The March 8th date is interesting because it's pretty much around the only time they would be able to reveal the Switch 2. With what we know right now and pure speculation, their current plan for the next 2 months looks something like this:
  • Late January: Peach Trailer, eShop sale, F-ZERO 99 Update, NES/SNES or Genesis NSO Update (maybe?)
  • Early February: Nintendo Direct
  • Late February: Pokemon Presents
  • Early March: Nothing
  • Late March: Princess Peach Showtime

Early March is pretty much open right now for them to do whatever they want to. I had a similar thought process with the Peach trailer before we got it this past week. If they want to get pre-orders before the Direct, and if they KNOW something is happening in early March that would make it difficult to market the game, they would need to release some trailer and promote pre-orders "now", and then we did end up getting that trailer. It wasn't a big overview, but they did a PayPal maintenance the day before, implying they expected people to start pre-ordering the game.

Since NA restocks typically are a lot closer to when a thing actually happens than the rest of the world, I'd assume this restock means something either on the week of the 5th or the week of the 11th, so basically by the 14th.

I'm assuming this is related to the Switch 2 because, even though this logic has failed me before, there really isn't anything else Zelda-related this could be for. They're already restocking for the Nintendo Live shows on Amazon JP for Early February; they probably aren't going to shadow-drop a Zelda game in March. They're still way too early in production to give us any more details on the Zelda movie or theme park, and I don't think they would give something like WW/TP HD less than one month of marketing.
Of course, March 8th is a Friday. If this means anything, I'd assume it'll be either on the 5th - 7th or 12th - 14th. I think the earlier, the better, as I would find it funny if they dropped the trailer close to the 7th anniversary of the OG Switch's launch.

March 8 I could easily see be the reveal or an event for the switch 2. I’m still optimistic for a reveal that’s sooner.

200w.gif

It could just be routine trademark renewals but what are the chance we might see Gamecube games on NSO eventually?
Zero, Because I believe Gamecube/Wii (and 3DS) games are simply too valuable in Nintendo's eyes to be put on a subscription service.
There's also the problem that they would have to either make them Switch 2 exclusive, or port them one by one since the Switch isn't powerful enough to emulate most of them, not to mention the size issue since Gamecube games are >1GB and Wii games can go up to 4 or 8 GB which would be a problem for the Switch 1 tiny storage (this issue could be mitigated by having the option to choose which games you want to download instead of having them all installed automatically like they do for the other platforms on NSO.).
And even if they solved all these issues by making them Switch 2 exclusive there is still the online multiplayer issue.

So yeah, because of all these reason (but the first one mainly) Gamecube/Wii games on NSO is almost certainly never happening.
The DS really is the last console that can be added to NSO, if they figure out what to do about the controls.

With all that said, that trademark could very well be for to a Gamecube controller since the icons resemble the ones used for the NSO controllers and their patents.
Don't know what it could be for though, maybe for general use on Switch/Switch 2 games, maybe for past and future Gamecube shadow drops, or maybe something to do with Smash.

Last edited:
Scalpers are like "alright, bet".
Yeah. i think it will be sold out regardless, but a 10 million FY target is extremely ambitious and I think suggest a very safe approach to the Switch 2

I expect things like full software BC (no booting into an awkward Switch mode), competitive pricing, powerful, and attractive value proposition is what this product will have and all our fretting will soon be proven wrong.

Yeah. i think it will be sold out regardless, but a 10 million FY target is extremely ambitious and I think suggest a very safe approach to the Switch 2
Depends on when it launches. If it comes out in the Summer it's not ambitious at all (not that I expect that).

It could just be routine trademark renewals but what are the chance we might see Gamecube games on NSO eventually?
100%, though maybe I'm cheating a little here. We're not going to see the generational reboot of online services again. NSO is the platform going forward. Nintendo's library is the crown jewel of the industry, the Disney Vault of gaming, and the legacy content on NSO is Nintendo's answer to subscription gaming.

100% GameCube games will come to the service. But maybe not any time soon.

I used to feel that the library was too remake/remasterable to come to NSO, but a few things changed my mind. One, Nintendo put GBA and N64 games on there, when I felt certain they'd rather remake Fire Emblems and Zeldas - but they did it by charging us extra.

And two, Nintendo has shown that a few games with remake potential doesn't prevent the platform coming to the service. Advance Wars, Super Mario RPG came even though we have GBA and SNES - they just released other games. And Super Mario 64 and Link's Awakening had remaster/remakes before the games came to NSO.

Star Fox Adventures is just sitting there, and likely would make more money for Nintendo as a nudge to keep subscribers than as fodder for a remake/remaster. On the other end of the spectrum, Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart are the sort of games where one entry per generation, and that entry being a new big game, is probably the most money making move. Melee and Double-Dash aren't getting a remake, why not put those games on NSO?

Nintendo can put all those, Sunshine, Mario Strikers, Baseball, Tennis, Animal Crossing, Kirby's Air Ride, Pokemon Colosseum, and all three Marios Party onto NSO, and still sell us HD Zeldas, Primes Remastered, and Paper Mario. And I bet that is exactly what they do.

I was able to pre-order a Switch from Gamestop just from showing up in the middle of the afternoon on the first day that pre-orders were available

It'd be nice if getting a Switch 2 at launch would be that easy, but I'm not gonna hold my breath

Now that I think about it more, is 10m enough? The Switch launch was a disaster stock wise and that was after the flop that was the Wii U. Now the Switch 2 is following up the most successful console in the last 20 years, so surely more people will want it right?
If the numbers I've read are right then it will be like the 2017 holiday give or take.

Now that I think about it more, is 10m enough? The Switch launch was a disaster stock wise and that was after the flop that was the Wii U. Now the Switch 2 is following up the most successful console in the last 20 years, so surely more people will want it right?
if they call it the Switch U we'll have units for everyone.

dindt Nate the Hate stated he heard, developers has been telling him, someting about the Switch sucessor might happen in march?
Yeah Nate mentioned something (probably) Nintendo related is happening in March. It most likely is not the Direct since that would happen closer to the investor meeting, so it's anyone's guess what it is.

Even if it isn’t enough I think they might want a little bit of artificial scarcity at launch to increase the “hotness” of the system.

Kind of sucks but it’s a winning strategy, as seen with the PS5, Switch 1, and NES Classic Mini.

Very interested who's gonna be Switch 2 hardware producer and director. I assume that Kawamoto (EPD4) will be producer this time and someone else will be director.

I now need to try this
Off topic, but I do it once a month (laziness). I buy a less than $5 clear gel that's especially for nail growth and protection in a retailer that has a W in it. Very good. You're supposed to apply it every three days.

-----------

Fuck, is the Guardian Amiibo restock possibly related to the beefed up BOTW version showcased in Gamescom?

ok it took some time and coping but I'm officially on team September for the Switch 2 release

so my timeline prediction is

announcement in March

June showcase

early September release with cross-gen Prime 4 and new Ip (the wii sports type game)

Early October Open World 3D Mario that has a new gameplay gimmick but also clearly has some Movie influence

mid-November a Pokemon game either a Gen 5 remake that is not cross-gen but will take a little advantage of the more powerful hardware of Switch 2 (more stable frame rate, better draw distance, etc) or a Cross-Gen Spin-off Like A Pokken 2

and a bunch of indie games and some major third-party games at launch though the rest of the financial year

ok it took some time and coping but I'm officially on team September for the Switch 2 release

so my timeline prediction is

announcement in March

June showcase

early September release with cross-gen Prime 4 and new Ip (the wii sports type game)

Early October Open World 3D Mario that has a new gameplay gimmick but also clearly has some Movie influence

mid-November a Pokemon game either a Gen 5 remake that is not cross-gen but will take a little advantage of the more powerful hardware of Switch 2 (more stable frame rate, better draw distance, etc) or a Cross-Gen Spin-off Like A Pokken 2

and a bunch of indie games and some major third-party games at launch though the rest of the financial year
That's exactly where I am right now. Unfortunately, I think we will get another investor meeting with nothing substantial about Switch 2. Hope I'm wrong.

That's exactly where I am right now. Unfortunately, I think we will get another investor meeting with nothing substantial about Switch 2. Hope I'm wrong.
Yeah, I know, with the dozens of investors meetings the last years without Switch 2, it‘s hard to believe it‘ll change. It‘s quite a big sample./s

Last edited:
you replied to me with "Unfortunately, I think we will get another investor meeting with nothing substantial about Switch 2. Hope I'm wrong."
Yeah, in the context of me saying that I also think the announcement will be in March. Then, I followed my post commenting on the possibility of it being mentioned in the investors meeting, which is in February. I didn't know it was forbidden to add something to the topic that you hadn't mentioned. Nevermind.

Last edited:
I would be extremely confused if Nintendo didn't mention the Switch 2 around or at the upcoming investor meeting if they actually plan to announce it in Spring.

Would seem like pointless secrecy bordering on misleading investors and consumers. There would be essentially zero benefit either?

Back
Top Bottom