• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

True, but on Lords of the Fallen, that 432p resolution is only for the performance mode. Let's say the Switch 2 runs this game at Series S performance settings at 30fps in handheld mode. Nothing is stopping them from using DLSS Ultra Performance mode (360p) which looks way better than FSR at 432p. And in docked mode, they can upscale 540p -> 1080p, before using a Spatial Upscaler like NIS to get to "4K". Will it look like 4K? No, absolutely not. But it's low enough to where the image still looks good and you're not overextending the resource intensiveness of DLSS (as showcased by the Digital Foundry video).

I mean, yes, if you go down to 360p/unstable 30 (Lords of the Fallen doesn’t really hit 60 in S Performance) in handheld mode, you’ll probably be able to get most games that aren’t CPU bound, but it would be questionable in terms of if Switch 2 players would even want that (as I’m not sure games like Lords of the Fallen are liked by Series S players, lol)

not sure why Lords of the Fallen is such a contention. the game runs even on a Steam Deck (with FSR auto-enabled if I remember correctly). resolution isn't much of an issue to Switch and Steam Deck players and I doubt it'll be much of a problem to Drake players

not sure why Lords of the Fallen is such a contention. the game runs even on a Steam Deck (with FSR auto-enabled if I remember correctly). resolution isn't much of an issue to Switch and Steam Deck players and I doubt it'll be much of a problem to Drake players

Switch users obviously don’t care about reflections or GI or shadows either, just turn those all off and we can downport everything to Switch 2 imo.

There was this supercomputer used by the US Air Force made up of 1760 original fat model PS3s since they could be hacked to run Linux

4ufttsgny8v81.jpg
lol I'd love to see what happened once they all started getting the yellow light of death/ just outright dying

By the end of next fiscal year, yes.
No way, if they reach their goal of 15 millions units this FY the Switch will be at 140 millions at the end of march 2024, and they would need to sell at least 16 millions in the next FY to beat the PS2 which is not going to happen with the Switch 2 out.
In the FY after that, by the end of march 2026, sure, but absolutely not the next fiscal year.

Why you’re still allowed to post in here is beyond me…

How is "turning things to 360p is fine for Switch owners, they're OK with that, that preserves the artistic vision" different from "turning off reflections and GI is fine for Switch owners, they're OK with that, that preserves the artistic vision" lol.

Smearing visual noise all over the screen is not great when you get to a low enough resolution and I imagine most consumers would care more about moving the resolution from 360p to 540p than preserving reflections.

Actually a little baffled that making fun of 360p got you mad enough to post.

Last edited:
Yeah, moral of the story is that the easiest way to keep "jailbreaks" at bay is to provide sufficient sideloading support.
Xbox One remains unhacked because what is there to gain from it when they have a developer mode.

While I'd love Nintendo to do this, and they... Kind of dip their toe in this water, from time to time, I don't see them just going "Yeah you can go into developer mode for a small one time fee." at launch, maybe ever, but I would like to see it and I think it would discourage or even stop attempts at "hacking".

How is "turning things to 360p is fine for Switch owners, they're OK with that, that preserves the artistic vision" different from "turning off reflections and GI is fine for Switch owners, they're OK with that, that preserves the artistic vision" lol.
the fact we still have to humor such insane statements is beyond me, but in what world is "turning the resolution way down because was can salvage it with up-sampling and the screen size will hide most artifacts" inferior to utterly destroying the content of the visuals for very little gain in perceivable image quality? if we were talking about docked mode, i would see your point to some extent... but we were not, if a game has to resort to 360p pre DLSS in docked mode i highly doubt it would be even considered for a port regardless of settings.

the fact we still have to humor such insane statements is beyond me, but in what world is "turning the resolution way down because was can salvage it with up-sampling and the screen size will hide most artifacts" inferior to utterly destroying the content of the visuals for very little gain in perceivable image quality? if we were talking about docked mode, i would see your point to some extent... but we were not, if a game has to resort to 360p pre DLSS in docked mode i highly doubt it would be even considered for a port regardless of settings.

Going all the way down to 360p before upscaling on what is rumored to be an extremely large handheld screen could definitely destroy a lot of visual content intended by the developer. Many Switch downports completely turned off extremely important visual aspects (such as per object motion blur) because the game wouldn't work otherwise and were still often praised.

Like, a recent Switch downport turned off literally ambient occlusion, a pretty fucking vital feature. This downport is selling well enough so can I argue that Switch owners don't care about ambient occlusion?

Going all the way down to 360p before upscaling on what is rumored to be an extremely large handheld screen could definitely destroy a lot of visual content intended by the developer. Many Switch downports completely turned off extremely important visual aspects (such as per object motion blur) because the game wouldn't work otherwise and were still often praised.

Like, a recent Switch downport turned off literally ambient occlusion, a pretty fucking vital feature. This downport is selling well enough so can I argue that Switch owners don't care about ambient occlusion?
Motion blur isn‘t really a necessary feature.

Last edited:

If ppl are playing those games without issue, what exactly would make those "vital" or "extremely important" (the terms you used to describe the exclusions)?

Even though I agree with your point, I want to say that motion blur isn‘t really a necessary feature.

Per object motion blur is different from the motion blur from moving the camera and looks pretty good imo and can be an intended visual feature for a game that a game leans on.

It's less vital than AO, of course.

1. 8" isnt that significantly larger than 7", i have no clue what you mean by "extremely" here, DLSS UP looks mediocre a 15", doesnt really hit "utterly destroyed" on there, on an 8" screen it should look flat out acceptable, far more acceptable than raw 540p on switch 1

2. in what world are GI, shadows or reflections of equal or lesser importance to Motion Blur

For trying to circumvent the banned content rules, you are being given a two week ban and a two month threadban. -xghost777, Dardan Sandiego, meatbag, Party Sklar, MissingNo
1. 8" isnt that significantly larger than 7", i have no clue what you mean by "extremely" here, DLSS UP looks mediocre a 15", doesnt really hit "utterly destroyed" on there, on an 8" screen it should look flat out acceptable, far more acceptable than raw 540p on switch 1

2. in what world are GI, shadows or reflections of equal or lesser importance to Motion Blur

Per object motion blur is less important than shadows and GI and reflections, but most of Warner Bros' recent ports to Switch have turned off some combination of shadows, GI, and reflections.

They just haven't been praised or sell very well other than the banned game, lol (which did turn off GI)

But the banned game has sold fairly well so clearly Switch owners don't care about GI along with low resolution (I am just making fun of low resolution takes here)

Here's a screenshot of a comment someone made on the other website:

Jsk1OWB.jpg
Well done Nintendo. This is why I loved Nintendo so much. Already a fan since I'm purchased green GameBoy Pocket 20+ years ago 😘. Let's them cook what ever for a Switch 2

I have to wonder why they're so damn determined not to have anything leak. Burned by the leaks of the original Switch interfering with their messaging? Not wanting open floodgates limiting Switch 1 sales?
You would think they would lax a little after the Nvidia leak. Most of the info has been out there for over a year.

The Gigaleak and recent Nvidia hacks have probably put them on edge. Considering all the criticisms they see people levy against the Switch being underpowered, competition is fierce and any excitement they can drum up by being in the Schrodinger's quantum field of what-could-their-next-system-probably-be puts them at an advantage.

The competition will obviously beef up the specs of their own successors and mid-gen refreshes, but Nintendo's foray into gimmicks perhaps is their biggest strength. Anything that could hint at what their doing (that is radically different) would no likely create a response to how Sony hastily integrated gyro into their Six-Axis controller.
PS5 Pro is said to be releasing in 2024 same year as the Switch sucessor, with twice the power of the PS5. So Nintendo really need to do something special for the tv part of their next system in 2024!

Xbox gaming division don't have any plans for a beefed up Xbox Series X mid cycle refresh. The true successor of the Xbox Series X when eventually released is said to be heavily cloud based. And might even be completely digital games, no physical games.

Nintendo have done extremely well with the Switch hardware sales. But the worry is the Switch sucessor another hybrid handheld/console won't be powerful enough for AAA 3rd party game ports done well on the console side.

Personally (though others might disagree) I think Nintendo should be aggressive and release 2 new major systems in 2024. Nintendo Go, a hybrid handheld/console slightly more powerful than the Steam Deck. And Nintendo Home, a home console as powerful as the PS5. That would be the best of both worlds and not alienate anyone. And make the game cartridges compatible in both systems.

Is the reason people are expecting 2GHz for the Drake CPU because of the die size versus the current Switch which runs it’s CPU at less than 50% of it’s maximum clock speed?

Steam Deck chews through it’s battery life when you run games at 60fps versus 30fps which I guess is when it’s mainly pushing it’s CPU clocks.

I can't speak for everyone's reasoning, of course, but my perspective on it is; Jetson Orin NX 16GB ( Samsung 8nm) has a max frequency of 2 GHz for its A78AE 8-core configuration, loosely taking this GB6 result; Result .
Let's say it uses 2W @ 2GHz to hit that score, drake on 4nm may use 2W @ 2GHz, but it's 30% higher (eyeball extrapolation from the N4P result). I presume that Nintendo has already estimated what targets and performance target their soc needed to hit and the process node plays a big role in its efficiency in terms of cooling and battery life.
I haven't delved too deep into die-size and PPA, because honestly, I don't have a deep enough understanding of it, so I only comment based on results that are out there. Nonetheless, an ARM CPU is likely going to be more efficient than any x86 CPU for the same workload, thus the battery life sippin' you have on the steam deck should not as apparent for an ARM device.

Well done Nintendo. This is why I loved Nintendo so much. Already a fan since I'm purchased green GameBoy Pocket 20+ years ago 😘. Let's them cook what ever for a Switch 2
I've been a Nintendo fan for 33 years since I was 8 year's old, love Nintendo 😁 But you can't just say let them cook whatever for the Switch sucessor! As we want the Switch sucessor to actually do well sales wise and also be a good system deliver the goods.

If Nintendo only release a more powerful hybrid/handheld Switch sucessor as it looks like. I probably will only buy the equivalent of the Switch Lite portable version for handheld gaming. Will be a great 1080p handheld system.

Graphics aren't everything but AAA 3rd party games on a 2 teraflops hybrid system docked to the tv. Aren't going to be anywhere near as good as AAA 3rd party games on the PS5 or upcoming PS5 Pro. Déjà Vu like the Switch and AAA 3rd party games being average at best in docked mode because of a underpowered system.

Still look forward of course to amazing upcoming Nintendo exclusives Metroid Prime 4, new 3D Mario, new Mario Kart etc. And hope the Switch sucessor for Nintendo is a success 🤞🏾

Last edited:
Why you’re still allowed to post in here is beyond me…

I literally don't know why people still reply to him on every page. Just let the troll die without engagement and move on.

They post bait, the statements made are so inherently mind numbing and stupid that you have to wonder if they are even a fan at all of the Switch and if they even care at all about the next gen successor and are simply throwing their two cents in every chance they get to stir the pot.

Hit ignore, enjoy life.

Edit: Never mind, checked and they're banned now.

Some people laughed, some people cried.

Here's a screenshot of a comment someone made on the other website:

Jsk1OWB.jpg
This assessment is 100% correct, and anyone who ever worked with Nintendo in any capacity knows this. To give one example that is at least semi-public (I think?), people who got a review code for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate about five years back were not allowed to even discuss the fact that they received one. They had to set their Switch profiles to private, not talk about the fact that they played it until the NDA said so, and even when the reviews came out, what they were allowed to show was Draconian. Just to give a general idea of how much this company cares about leaks.

Even when keeping this is mind, it's honestly impressive how little about the Switch's successor has reached the public at this point. I'm wondering when the breaking point finally comes and too many parties get involved to keep it a secret.

Personally (though others might disagree) I think Nintendo should be aggressive and release 2 new major systems in 2024. Nintendo Go, a hybrid handheld/console slightly more powerful than the Steam Deck. And Nintendo Home, a home console as powerful as the PS5. That would be the best of both worlds and not alienate anyone. And make the game cartridges compatible in both systems.
That’s not being aggressive nor would it be the best of both worlds. The two console strategy would alienate more people & there are clear reasons why they left that strategy behind.
Graphics aren't everything but AAA 3rd party games on a 2 teraflops hybrid system docked to the tv. Aren't going to be anywhere near as good as AAA 3rd party games on the PS5 or upcoming PS5 Pro. Déjà Vu like the Switch and AAA 3rd party games.
Not being anywhere near as good has not stopped people from buying those versions when released on the system.

How did ItWasMeantToBe19 try to circumvent the banned content rules? Unless it had something to do with his controversial takes. Are we allowed to ask about the details of why they were banned?

Edit: Nvm I just re-read his post.

Last edited:
That’s not being aggressive nor would it be the best of both worlds. The two console strategy would alienate more people & there are clear reasons why they left that strategy behind.
Yes it would be and it would be the best of both worlds as the big portion of Nintendo fans who prefer handheld gaming would buy the more powerful hybrid handheld/console or Switch Lite handheld equivalent.

And the also big portion of Nintendo fans who want a home console as powerful as the PS5 would buy the Nintendo home console. Would give them good AAA 3rd party ports, not subpar AAA 3rd party ports like currently on the Switch. Which is underpowered for the tv portion.

Plus I said the game cartridges would be compatible in both systems. So if you bought both systems you wouldn't have to buy a different version of the game for it.

Not being anywhere near as good has not stopped people from buying those versions when released on the system.
It's Nintendo's excellent first party games that have made the Switch a success. Made it the 3rd highest hardware sales of any gaming system! A hybrid system makes it impossible to do good AAA 3rd party ports. Hence very poor AAA 3rd party ports of Hogwarts Legacy, Batman Arkham Trilogy etc on the Switch.

Yes the Switch sucessor will probably be similar power as a Steam Deck, likely better performance as better optimised than a portable PC. So will be great for handheld gaming on a 1080P OLED screen.

But docked to the tv AAA 3rd party games are going to have the same problem as the Switch. Maybe even more so as lot's of upcoming AAA 3rd party games like GTA 6 will be pushing the boundaries graphically. There is a growing number of Nintendo fans who want similar power to a PS5 connected to the tv. Who don't want average at best AAA 3rd party ports!

Nintendo have denied that they won't make a home console ever again. So no reason to think Nintendo won't make a home console again in the future. Game cartridges that work in both a portable system and home system is a clever solution.

Last edited:
I've been a Nintendo fan for 33 years since I was 8 year's old, love Nintendo 😁 But you can't just say let them cook whatever for the Switch sucessor! As we want the Switch sucessor to actually do well sales wise and also be a good system deliver the goods.

If Nintendo only release a more powerful hybrid/handheld Switch sucessor as it looks like. I probably will only buy the equivalent of the Switch Lite portable version for handheld gaming. Will be a great 1080p handheld system.

Graphics aren't everything but AAA 3rd party games on a 2 teraflops hybrid system docked to the tv. Aren't going to be anywhere near as good as AAA 3rd party games on the PS5 or upcoming PS5 Pro. Déjà Vu like the Switch and AAA 3rd party games being average at best in docked mode because of a underpowered system.

Still look forward of course to amazing upcoming Nintendo exclusives Metroid Prime 4, new 3D Mario, new Mario Kart etc. And hope the Switch sucessor for Nintendo is a success 🤞🏾

The Switch 2 will not be 2TF when docked. Docked mode will be at least 3TF, and that's getting into pessimistic territory - @Thraktor made some predictions on sweet-spot clocks that point to something more like 3.4TF, and unlikely dream scenarios with a fixed 25W TDP and dynamic clocks could even get to 4TF. And that's with a superior upscaling tech to anything in current consoles.

Yes it would be and it would be the best of both worlds as the big portion of Nintendo fans who prefer handheld gaming would buy the more powerful hybrid handheld/console or Switch Lite handheld equivalent.

And the also big portion of Nintendo fans who want a home console as powerful as the PS5 would buy the Nintendo home console. Would give them good AAA 3rd party ports, not subpar AAA 3rd party ports like currently on the Switch. Which is underpowered for the tv portion.

Plus I said the game cartridges would be compatible in both systems. So if you bought both systems you wouldn't have to buy a different version of the game for it.

It's Nintendo's excellent first party games that have made the Switch a success. Made it the 3rd highest hardware sales of any gaming system! A hybrid system makes it impossible to do good AAA 3rd party ports. Hence very poor AAA 3rd party ports of Hogwarts Legacy, Batman Arkham Trilogy etc on the Switch.

Yes the Switch sucessor will probably be similar power as a Steam Deck, likely better performance as better optimised than a portable PC. So will be great for handheld gaming on a 1080P OLED screen.

But docked to the tv AAA 3rd party games are going to have the same problem as the Switch. Maybe even more so as lot's of upcoming AAA 3rd party games like GTA 6 will be pushing the boundaries graphically. There is a growing number of Nintendo fans who want similar power to a PS5 connected to the tv. Who don't want average at best AAA 3rd party ports!

Nintendo have denied that they won't make a home console ever again. So no reason to think Nintendo won't make a home console again in the future. Game cartridges that work in both a portable system and home system is a clever solution.
This reads like working from a predetermined conclusion and working backwards from there. There isn't any measure of people being predominantly handheld. Nor is there any measure of people buying games solely for first party. First party is a big chunk, but third party games are still 50% of software sales.

From that I don't think people mind the visuals as much since they already accepted the tradeoffs. Unless you believe double dipping is that rampant, I guess

No way, if they reach their goal of 15 millions units this FY the Switch will be at 140 millions at the end of march 2024, and they would need to sell at least 16 millions in the next FY to beat the PS2 which is not going to happen with the Switch 2 out.
In the FY after that, by the end of march 2026, sure, but absolutely not the next fiscal year.
The Switch 2 will sell well for a new system, but I don't think that would stop the Switch from selling at most 10 million units, next fiscal year. Also, as crazy as this sounds, I expect at most 10 million units for the Switch by the end of this quarter.

The series S will have a CPU that’s significantly stronger than that in the switch

Just for kicks, what is the horsepower differential between 8-Cores of the Cortex A78C, and AMD's Zen 2 8-core/16-thread CPU?

AMD's has twice the threads, but in terms of each individual core, are they say about the same in terms of horsepower, and the additional threads are what give it the edge? AMD does also have a frequency advantage, running at ~3.6Ghz vs. maybe 1-2GHz for the A78. On the flip side, A78 is technically "newer" since Zen 2 is from 2019, and A78 came out in 2020, but I am unsure on if that really makes a difference or not in this case.

Another part of this is Xbox uses one of the cores for the OS, so for gaming, it's 7 cores/14 threads. Switch 1 uses one of its cores for the OS, leaving only 3 for developers. I suppose another question is does T239 have auxiliary cores that could be used for the OS itself, leaving all 8 cores for developers? Or is it more the case 7 cores will be for devs, and one for the OS?

What is your dream Switch 2 trailer? :

- Panning shot of a street during sunset

- Close up shot of vet

- We see the man from the original Switch trailer holding his dog as it dies in his arms, a striking allegory for the original V1 Switch

- Distraught, the man walks home, entering to find the new Nintendo system on his bed, with a letter from his girlfriend, wishing him a happy birthday

- After staring at the box for a few seconds, we see the man walking downstairs and setting up the new console

- Laying on the couch, he starts up the system with The Legend of Zelda: Tears of The Kingdom. As he plays, the same familiar jingle from many years prior begins to play. Suddenly, he flicks the new scroll wheels with the video cutting to red

- Nintendo Switch 2 logo appears

- We then see the man playing the new Super Mario 4D World, an open world Mario game with Time control (made possible through using the scroll wheels) as the new mechanic. We see a smile on his face, flashing back to the dog who once sat on his dog couch.

- Dynamite by BTS starts in the background as the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles break into the man's house through his glass door, beating him to a pulp, gagging and dragging the man off screen with muffled audible screaming in the background

- "Nintendo Switch 2!" 🎶LIGHT IT UP LIKE DYNAMITE, WOOOOOAAAAAOOOOHHH!!!!🎶
Yes a Japanese company using Korean music because they’re definitely best buds like urge United States and Russia!

Just for kicks, what is the horsepower differential between 8-Cores of the Cortex A78C, and AMD's Zen 2 8-core/16-thread CPU?

AMD's has twice the threads, but in terms of each individual core, are they say about the same in terms of horsepower, and the additional threads are what give it the edge? AMD does also have a frequency advantage, running at ~3.6Ghz vs. maybe 1-2GHz for the A78. On the flip side, A78 is technically "newer" since Zen 2 is from 2019, and A78 came out in 2020, but I am unsure on if that really makes a difference or not in this case.

Another part of this is Xbox uses one of the cores for the OS, so for gaming, it's 7 cores/14 threads. Switch 1 uses one of its cores for the OS, leaving only 3 for developers. I suppose another question is does T239 have auxiliary cores that could be used for the OS itself, leaving all 8 cores for developers? Or is it more the case 7 cores will be for devs, and one for the OS?
the differences is largely going to be clock speeds rather than IPC or thread count. Drake will still be limited by the fact that it's a tablet and can't cool a high clocked cpu with a high clocked gpu. how this would manifest in game performance, we don't know yet because there just aren't any tests that scales AMD cpus low or any games running on ARM

we know there are no extra cores than the 8 A78s, so at least one will be dedicated to the OS

The Switch 2 will sell well for a new system, but I don't think that would stop the Switch from selling at most 10 million units, next fiscal year. Also, as crazy as this sounds, I expect at most 10 million units for the Switch by the end of this quarter.
To add onto this point, I expect the Switch to continue to sell well for a few more years, even if it's a slow decline. I'm still an avid believer of the "smooth transition" mantra, which would involve cross-gen releases and a few smaller third-party releases during the Switch's twilight years. While the Switch is definitely showing its age, I don't think it'll lose steam the same way the Wii and DS did, people will undoubtedly still be buying them as a more affordable option, compared to the inevitably pricier successor. That's not even getting into a potential price drop by the time a lite model for the successor rolls around, but I may be getting ahead of myself. I can see the Switch going past 150 units within the next 3 years.

Nintendo has left the AAA gaming market, they could not compete with Sony and Microsoft on those terms and have wisely chosen another strategy to remain competitive. Back in the days when they tried to release home consoles on the same terms as Sony and Microsoft they always had worse third party support and could not compete in getting the best AAA games to their system, so their consoles lost out to the competition. But Nintendo handheld systems on the other hand always remained competitive and saw off Sony's attempt to win the handheld market, that is why Nintendo switched to the hybrid model and will remain there. If Nintendo released a console to rival the PS5 it would sell low numbers as before and would be utterly trounced by the PS5, it would have much worse third party support than either PS5 or Xbox series X/S.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom