• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

LCD display/panel tecnology has advanced over the past decades, the LCD display Switch sucessor is using is not the same LCD panel/display Switch used, it could be a far more superior LCD, far better then any OLED display, only by having the console in hand you can see it better display
LCD have advanced over the last decades sure but the technology from 2016 to now is not that different and it won't be a far superior LCD it will probably be a little more color accurate and a higher resolution but that's about it. Also yes of course only a better display is seen with handheld that's half of the system btw which many including myself primarily only play handheld it's kind of a big deal with the switch

everyone here is making such a huge fuzz, because Switch sucessor is gonna have LCD display, for me, OLED display is just a fancy display, you all should be worried about backward compatiblty, oh no! i cant see Ganondorf cloak in my Switch OLED, who cares about this? i care if i can or not play my games on the successor, this is more concering for the gamers.
I get the disappointment but I still have all my Switch models and while I think the more vibrant OLED screen is nice. I have spent most of my time with LCD Switch models and can do it for a few years on new hardware that's vastly better overall while I wait for an upgraded screen.

You have devices like the Steam Deck, Ally ROG, and other upcoming handheld gaming PC devices that are shipping with LCD screens. So I don't really buy the idea that it's somehow unacceptable to release devices with them now.

I probably play my Switchs 75% portable and 25% docked. Based on what we know we are getting a much more capable device that may provide a much improved docked experience. So I am looking forward to making that portable/dock split more even since very few games get me to dock my Switch. So I guess all of that makes it sting less to me.

Side note: I think it's weird how we never got a Lite OLED model since it can only be played portably.

The VGC report is a load of nothing burger. It reads like every guesstimates out there. The same buzz words too like the worry about backwards compatibility ijbol.

Feels like a “rumor” article pretending to have a real source to drive traffic. This is not like the wsj Takashi Mochizuki production line scoop.

Last edited:
The VGC report is a load of nothing burger. It reads like every guesstimates out there. The same buzz words too like the worry about backward capabilities ijbol.

Feels like a traffic driving “rumor” article pretending to have a real source. This is not like the wsj Takashi Mochizuki production line scoop.
The reason it’s being heavily talked about is that it’s a source other than Youtuber Johnny and it’s been corroborated by another source that’s more credible than Youtuber Tommy.

everyone here is making such a huge fuzz, because Switch sucessor is gonna have LCD display, for me, OLED display is just a fancy display, you all should be worried about backward compatiblty, oh no! i cant see Ganondorf cloak in my Switch OLED, who cares about this? i care if i can or not play my games on the successor, this is more concering for the gamers.
Uh... I care about having an OLED screen? I really enjoy the OLED screen. I'm struggling to see why you have to diminish concerns about an LCD screen to instead focus on backwards compatibility, when it's totally valid for people to want both. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate using LCD screens or anything. I still use my Steam Deck all the time! But it's not exactly something I'm a fan of, and if I had the option to pick up an OLED Steam Deck instead, I very happily would have paid extra for it.

I think it's funny how many in this thread insulted me (and others) in this thread, for suggesting late-2024 would be when the Switch successor would release (many who thought it was coming out LAST year, mind you!)

The VGC report is a load of nothing burger. It reads like every guesstimates out there. The same buzz words too like the worry about backward capabilities ijbol.

Feels like a traffic driving “rumor” article pretending to have a real source. This is not like the wsj Takashi Mochizuki production line scoop.
I dunno. I understand being skeptical - I am too - but I think it's pretty telling that Tom Phillips from Eurogamer/Digital Foundry dropped an article corroborating it almost immediately. Iirc Eurogamer - or at least Tom - was pretty spot on with the NX stuff so they definitely have sources somewhere.

I think the sucky thing about a potential LCD thing is that Nintendo already conditioned its audience into believing OLED is better than LCD. It's the premium upgrade over the regular V1/V2 Switch, almost exclusively bc of the screen. Just kind of hard to put that cat back in the bag. The PS5 did everything better than the PS4 Pro, no potential consumer had to feel a tinge of disappointment thinking 5 steps forward, 1 step back

Oddly enough it's almost more like going from a One X to a Series S. Better in a lot of ways, but not definitively. But at least there you could get a Series X at the same launch. And that's what I'd hope Nintendo to do IF they do release an LCD model. To also release a more premium version with OLED. I will gladly pay

Nothing is “confirmed”. The console using Drake isn’t even “confirmed”. It’s you saying ‘us fami lot know it all’…

The chances of 2023 are non existent though based on my own reading of the situation.
Yes, nothing is confirmed. And nothing in this article is confirmed. But some things he heard from his sources is nothing new to us. And this still doesn't confirm anything. And the rest is all speculation.

That's the point.

I think the sucky thing about a potential LCD thing is that Nintendo already conditioned its audience into believing OLED is better than LCD. It's the premium upgrade over the regular V1/V2 Switch, almost exclusively bc of the screen. Just kind of hard to put that cat back in the bag. The PS5 did everything better than the PS4 Pro, no potential consumer had to feel a tinge of disappointment thinking 5 steps forward, 1 step back

Oddly enough it's almost more like going from a One X to a Series S. Better in a lot of ways, but not definitively. But at least there you could get a Series X at the same launch. And that's what I'd hope Nintendo to do IF they do release an LCD model. To also release a more premium version with OLED. I will gladly pay
People never learn.

The reason it’s being heavily talked about is that it’s a source other than Youtuber Johnny and it’s been corroborated by another source that’s more credible than Youtuber Tommy.
Are Tom and Andy reliable even?

The only two I found very reliable when it comes to this stuff are Tom Henderson and Jason Schreier.

Let's workshop some hot takes. Nintendo distributed devkits for their new console to a wider audience in July because...

Untitled.png

Hot take number 2.

Not only did they go back to LCD but the new Dock doesn't have ethernet and OLED docks are incompatible.

Alternatively.

They moved the ethernet port to the actual tablet, so if you use ethernet you have to keep unplugging it to undock.

Hot take number 2.

Not only did they go back to LCD but the new Dock doesn't have ethernet and OLED docks are incompatible.

Alternatively.

They moved the ethernet port to the actual tablet, so if you use ethernet you have to keep unplugging it to undock.
Lol, 2 would be the dumbest thing ever.

Are Tom and Andy reliable even?

The only two I found very reliable when it comes to this stuff are Tom Henderson and Jason Schreier.
Isn‘t it the point of rumors to take them with a grain of salt regardless of where they coming from most of the time? Like track recording is one thing, but posters in this thread tend to question the credibility of people more often when they don‘t talk entirely positive about this next console.

This 'Oh they said it could have a LCD screen or they speculate that BC is maybe not possible out of the gate so we can’t trust them because Nintendo will make everything we want!' energy gets a bit tiring.

Last edited:
With all these news about the Switch 2 releasing in H2 2024 and it seemingly going back to a LCD screen to save on costs i'm wondering still if there's even just a teeny-tiny little chance that it will have at least a half-decent quantum dot panel instead of a simple backlit one. But looking at Nintendo's past they will most definitely repeat what they did with the Switch 1 and have a cheaper Switch 2 LCD base model and release a premium Switch 2 OLED model a few years later. Likely when they managed to shrink the process mode just enough to make OLED possible with a similar or better battery life than the launch model.

I don't know if quantom dot panels consume more power than backlit LCDs (i'm guessing it's probably more power hungry), but after seeing how much better they look when directly compared to standard backlit LCDs, it sure is difficult going back to the older inferior screen technology. At the end of the day my play sessions will be held 95% of the time on my TV anyway so it won't bother me too much, but man, i'd consider playing more in handheld mode if the screen was a just little nicer. It doesn't have to be OLED, i'll gladly settle for a good middleground between standard backlit LCD and OLED and quantum dot panels are exactly that.

They speculate about LCD or BC, but they wouldn't have final info on those.
It's just a smokescreen.

Meanwhile, devkits being out, they know about specs such as RAM, clocks (even if not final), handheld resolution, etc.

Nothing burger indeed.
Give us the meat and potatoes!

My opinion is Nintendo will selling a Deluxe version of a Switch games to use full Switch 2 power likes they already done with the Wii U games. BC just to play lock original target power in a Switch 2. For example, Bayonetta 3 currently play not so smooth 60fps sub 600p handheld in a Switch will play lock 60fps 720p handheld in a Switch 2. In the future Nintendo will be selling Bayonetta 3 Deluxe to play 60fps 1080p handheld with more improved graphics in a Switch 2. So no free update here

For those keeping a list at home (me) we're now waiting for the Totilo report for Axios and the new podcast from Nate to potentially have additional info out of the floodgates. There might be more !

"Nintendo Switch 2 will be revealed in July" aged as "The Legend Of Zelda: Tears Of The Kingdom will be released together with Switch pro".

However I would be curious to know how much Nintendo Switch and The Legend Of Zelda: Tears Of The Kingdom sold.

They speculate about LCD or BC, but they wouldn't have final info on those.
It's just a smokescreen.

Meanwhile, devkits being out, they know about specs such as RAM, clocks (even if not final), handheld resolution, etc.

Nothing burger indeed.
Give us the meat and potatoes!

Wouldn't Devs know about how backwards compatibility will work at this point. Surely they would need that information if they need to do a patch for a game, or need to do a full on port.

I think Nintendo should go for the 2 SKU set up

Switch 2 LCD - 256GB Flash Memory - $350
Switch 2 OLED - 500GB Flash Memory - $500

$150 difference in price. Switch 2 LCD would be the same price as Switch OLED is today, and Switch 2 OLED would be eveb more expensive. They can also discontinue Switch 1 OLED and keep Switch 1 LCD and Switch Lite.

So Nintendo will have the following options for the whole Switch lineup

Switch 1 Lite - $150 (price drop)
Switch 1 LCD - $250 (price drop)
Switch 2 LCD - 256GB Flash Memory - $350
Switch 2 OLED - 500GB Flash Memory - $500

Then in a few years time they can also introduce Switch 2 Lite. Then around 3-4 years into Switch 2 lifecycle they can drop the price of Switch 2 and discontinue Switch 1 lineup.

I've somehow made peace with all of this, despite how bad and disappointing some of those news can be considered (whether it's based on sources or speculation), and also made peace with myself.
It won't take too long if you don't wait for it. Let's just enjoy the ride, the upcoming news and leaks, and hope the reveal is hype af.

backward compatibly is much more important then a fancy display, you can live with a inferior display technology, but not with backward compatibly, if i was Nintendo i would priorize backward compatible
BC would only add to the R&D budget (one time fee), while a fancy screen would make every single unit sold more expensive. Those are not comparable.

Wouldn't Devs know about how backwards compatibility will work at this point. Surely they would need that information if they need to do a patch for a game, or need to do a full on port.

NX will probably be fully announced at least 6 months before launch.
I believe that's more than enough to patch most current titles if they go for simple up-res or up-fps.
To fully utilize the available power on existing games, it gets a lot closer to a full remake, IMO.

Devkits are probably for launch exclusives or multiplatform games not possible on OG Switch.
In which case, they may need those devkits a lot sooner.

Also, Nintendo will probably want to stagger releases, first-party or otherwise, to maximize attention and sales.
I believe NX will sell out for months no matter what. Having too many major games close to launch will only exacerbate the issue.
It would make sense to tell some third-parties to target a later release window so demand does not heavily out weight supply and to not cannibalize Nintendo's sales.

Which is why I still have hope for a launch in H1 2024.
Nintendo may want to sell their titles first on launch or close to it, probably also with titles from very close partners.
It would satisfy early demand, work out the kinks in the supply chain and they would have a very high attach rate on their games.
Then they would tell third-parties to go all out for the holiday season, when early demand is satisfied, plenty of consoles are available and Nintendo already have 2 or 3 big titles out.

Last edited:
not necessarily a year from now. I'd imagine once Nintendo opens the floodgates for developers and fully announce the hardware they will share a lot more details.
It's entirely possible the backwards compatible is still somehow in the works tho hopefully it'd be finalized at the start of next year.

I get the disappointment but I still have all my Switch models and while I think the more vibrant OLED screen is nice. I have spent most of my time with LCD Switch models and can do it for a few years on new hardware that's vastly better overall while I wait for an upgraded screen.
An upgraded screen, I think that’s the point. The OLED is far better than the OG screen but not because it was LCD (it was far below the level of LCD smartphone screens). My iPhone XR also had an LCD screen which is to my eyes better then the OLED screen on the Switch.
I don’t care for fancy color that can’t be replicated on any TV because of somehow boated red OLED pixels. So use the screen with the best color accuracy and contrast/brightness.

I think it's worth pointing out that the VGC article doesn't distinguish between what information was confirmed by sources versus what was speculated by analysts and industry insiders. For instance, it prominently quotes Chris Dring, despite the totality of his quotes amounting to "yes, that sounds about right".

So in other words, while I do think this is evidence in favor of a (possibly H2) 2024 launch, I wouldn't put much stock in the rest. It reads as speculation. They might use an LCD screen, they may have BC, etc.
Who corroborated sorry?

From my read of how the article is worded, Eurogamer only corroborated that a Switch successor is targeting a 2024 release and will be hybrid. The parts about backwards compatibility and LCD screen are still just attributed to VGC sources.

I think things as probably that Switch NG HW is ready, they can launch it if they want at early 2024 but prefer to wait for more late of that year so there won’t be any mayor stock issues and have a robust lineup of games ready to start.

LCD display/panel tecnology has advanced over the past decades, the LCD display Switch sucessor is using is not the same LCD panel/display Switch used, it could be a far more superior LCD, far better then any OLED display, only by having the console in hand you can see it better display
I don't know that any lcd pannel can be far better than any oled display. The only thing lcd's can outperform oleds in is brightness. Again. Nintendo have partnered with sharp many times. I don't know who made the screen in the wii u or switch og/mini. But 3ds for sure was sharp.

Also I remember digging into igzo screen tech a little bit. Igzo is not a pannel. But a part of the screen tech that can drive, different types of lcd as well as Oled. I know oled is self emissive therefore not needing a backlight, but I wonder how that would be implemented. Maybe for hdr who knows. Or beating out the lack of brightness that lcds excell at. But we all know nintendo is about keeping costs down. With iterations. Other then the iterative premium models, New 3ds (which actually had 2 different panels used in their release, was a pannel lottery), NsOled, ags101, maybe gb light. Gbc counts I think. Not sure who made the screens for gb and gba.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom