• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

I agreed with @NineTailSage that WiiU got a multitude of problems and the storage tiers probably wasn't one of them. The tiered pricing seems to work out very well for the Steam Deck actually. The lowest tier (64GB, $399) provides the psychological "anchoring" effect to project value (countless articles emphasized gleefully that it's "only" $100 more than the Switch) and upsell the higher tiers (which are what Steam really aims to sell all along). According to the unofficial preorder data, they managed to nudge more people toward the pricier models with this one weird trick very successfully:
  • 512GB model, $649: 71,600 units (55,000 from North America)
  • 256GB model, $529: 33,000 units (28,000 from North America)
  • 64GB model, $399: total unknown (10,000 from North America)
Nintendo may employ the same strategy for the Dane Switch, effectively increasing the basket size with lowered resistance. This was probably also the reason that the $300 Switch is still around—to anchor the value of OLED Model, and the (non-enthusiast) consumers have been responding positively. They will remain in the market for as long as Nintendo wants them to—without any price drop—perhaps until the Dane model is introduced.
I’m not saying that the tier system was one of the WiiU’s problems more that it caused its own set of problems. The cheapest version was so unpopular it was phased out and the premium version dropped in price. New 3DS wasn’t even offered in the US when it launched. You don’t need to tell me the reasons why the WiiU failed

You’ll have to convince me of the Steam Deck not just being bought by enthusiasts who were always going to buy the higher tiers anyways, at least the way it is currently being sold. Cause the article you linked to does not even imply such.

Also no duh this is what happened with the 3DS. 300$ switches are still being made and will eventually be replaced with OLEDs. Maybe with a price decrease when Succ launches. Regardless I just don’t think Nintendo is gonna go for “the same but different” memory sku price hike. They’ll incrementally increase memory with a revision and I’m sure we’ll have this talk again.

I think another reason is that Windows on Arm's not exactly very good currently. And I don't really expect Microsoft to really care about making Windows on Arm better once Qualcomm's exclusivity deal with Windows on Arm expires, at least on the same level as macOS.
I didn't realize this was expiring. I hope it leads to the Boot Camp on Apple Silicon Macs.
Apparently, the Nintendo Gigaleak has uncovered some interesting information about the Nintendo Switch Game Cards. (Note: The capacity for the ROMs are in Gb, not GB, for the Nintendo Switch Game Cards.)
Does this suggest two manufacturers? Did we know this?

Why would I not spend 12.5% more for 100% more storage? That’s an absolute steal.

Especially if it’s reasonably fast storage for a device like this, say UFS 2.1.

I would only worry about a 256-512GB extra storage way later down the line when it becomes an issue, but at the start I can keep it chugging for a reasonably long while.

Realistically, it would be 128GB and 256GB respectively though.

And it’s not that I don’t think 400 is far fetched, I just don’t see it being close to the OLED model and see it priced higher creating some tier system of 200 for the lite, 300 for the OLED post drop and the V2 runs out, and 400 for the new model.
yeah I was a bit optimistic there with the 256 and 512GB 🤣. Yeah I agree, switch 2 will be at least $100 more than OLED.
I think Nintendo is done with offering the same sku but with higher storage. It didn’t really work for the WiiU and caused quite a few problems. We saw the same with Vita and to a degree the Deck.

Nintendo will most likely offer one sku with storage somewhere in the range of 128-256GB. They may increase the storage by incrementally when they release new revisions. I also think 400$ is pushin it and that the new model may sit between 350-400$. With the OLED coming down in price and no other price cuts.

As to the question I think it is self explanatory. 450$ for 512GB when that typically runs a lot more elsewhere.
It's not that the skus didn't work(the 32Gzb did sell more than the 8Gzb quite a bit), it's that in the long run the wii U didnt have much to offer, and it barely got a price drop.. Different skus have helped with Xbox and playstation consoles, not to mention switch lite vs regular hybrid vs OLED.

Last edited:
I didn't realize this was expiring. I hope it leads to the Boot Camp on Apple Silicon Macs.

Definitely news to me for sure but it does shed more light now on the questions between the Gamecards with a circuit board and the others that have the pins attached directly to the back of the module.

J74xJvg.jpg

CartridgeZeldaBack.jpeg

Last edited:
I believe the Nintendo Switch Game Cards are the only high density memory Macronix provides to Nintendo. And the Nintendo Switch Game Cards are likely based on ASIC XtraROM, not 3D NAND memory. And I don't believe 64 GB Nintendo Switch Game Cards exist currently.
Does anyone know why the Switch Game Cards have so many pins. I count 16 which is a lot compared to SD / micro SD. Or are they grouped/redundant for longevity?

I presume there were two manufacturers of the Nintendo Switch Game Cards at the beginning since I imagine there were plenty of games that were 2 GB (16 Gb) or less (500 MB or 4 Gb) in size.

But I think that's no longer the case since I imagine most Nintendo Switch games nowadays are much larger than 2 GB in size. So I imagine Macronix's the only manufacturer of the Nintendo Switch Game Cards nowadays.

This is definitely news to me. I'm surprised I managed to find more information in the first place.

It's not that the skus didn't work(the 32Gzb did sell more than the 8Gzb quite a bit), it's that in the long run the wii U didnt have much to offer, and it barely got a price drop.. Different skus have helped with Xbox and playstation consoles, not to mention switch lite vs regular hybrid vs OLED.
I’m not debating that different skus work I know they do. I’m debating that I don’t think Nintendo is gonna offer the following at launch:
Succ 256 400$
Succ 512 450$
Whether the storage or prices are that is irrelevant as an example. Nintendo with the Succ will probably repeat what they did with the current Switch. Ver -> Lite -> Ver -> Premium. It is that last one which will probably include some incremental storage upgrade is all I’m saying.

I presume there were two manufacturers of the Nintendo Switch Game Cards at the beginning since I imagine there were plenty of games that were 2 GB (16 Gb) or less (500 MB or 4 Gb) in size.

But I think that's no longer the case since I imagine most Nintendo Switch games nowadays are much larger than 2 GB in size. So I imagine Macronix's the only manufacturer of the Nintendo Switch Game Cards nowadays.

This is definitely news to me. I'm surprised I managed to find more information in the first place.
I'm wondering if the article uses inconsistent units, and the Lapris cards are actually 4 GB and 16 GB. I never noticed the inconsistency @NineTailSage pointed out, but I just checked some ~20 game cards and everything that should theoretically fit on a 4 GB card had a visible green circuit board, while everything that didn't was black. The only exception was Dark Souls Remastered - having a black circuit board at 3.9 GB - but that's so close I'm willing to believe it's an 8 GB cart (though that'd make the compressed audio very odd). Unfortunately, my launch Switch is currently booted into normal firmware and I lost my jig, so I can't just check the card sizes directly atm.

Edit: Regarding the timing, games released as recently as Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania have green. If the circuit board is an indicator, they still have two suppliers.

Does anyone know why the Switch Game Cards have so many pins. I count 16 which is a lot compared to SD / micro SD. Or are they grouped/redundant for longevity?
They operate under different parameters to the pins you see on SD cards. Not all pin connection works the same way.

If I were a betting man, the ones on the circuit board the full length of the Game Card were manufactured by a company other than Macronix, as those are the only ones (from pictures I've seen) that aren't badged MXIC in photos.

The Gigaleak also confirms suspicions that the simplest way to increase data transmission is more pin contacts and (more likely) more responsive bus speeds, because the Game Card reader most certainly hasn't maxed out what such a connection can achieve.

Last edited:
I hate to think like this, but $400 is not too farfetched for a base console, with OLED dropping to $300 (I don't see less than a $100 price difference). But I can see $450 for another SKU with more storage offered at launch too.

Question to you and everyone here: Would you buy it for $400 for a 256 GB model or 512 GB sku for $450?
Probably 150. At least if installs were mandatory.

My super Mario 3D world(2.9GB?) has the circuit board as visible. Same for Ringfit (2.9GB?)

But my BOTW(13.4GB) is just black.

My link’s awakening(5.8GB) is also black

Every other game card is also just black.

Including Mario Kart(6.7GB). Odyssey(5.7GB), TMS(11.2GB), etc.

It definitely aligns with different sizes below and above 4GB being tied to different manufacturers, not just one.

And this is new information.

Is 8 GB of RAM a given for Nintendo's next device? Is there any chance they could go with 10 or even 12 GB of RAM?

8 just seems....low for a device that's presumably not releasing until 2023/2024 and will last until 2030. Especially since 2 GB of will be reserved for the system, leaving just 6 for developers.

The Series S has 10 GB of RAM, so about 8 for developers - but that's a system with a 3 GB/s NVME drive along with tech like SFS which acts as a multiplier for RAM availability.

I would hope Nintendo goes with at least 10 total GBs, leaving developers with 8 to work with. I've been watching Arecus Legends footage and the pop-in just hurts to watch.

8GB RAM for Switch 2 is safe bet, not only that Switch 2 will most likely have DLSS so it will run native games (before DLSS) at most at 1080p and basically you dont need more than 6-7GB of RAM for sucha games, but Nintendo will want to have lower costs and price point in any case for Switch 2 ($400 at most).

In Switch case, pop-up in games has more with memory bandwidth and CPU power than with amount of memory itself.

Last edited:
Definitely news to me for sure but it does shed more light now on the questions between the Gamecards with a circuit board and the others that have the pins attached directly to the back of the module.

J74xJvg.jpg

CartridgeZeldaBack.jpeg

I believe the smaller games have PBCs, the larger ROMs don't as a cost saving. SpawnWave did a teardown of Switch carts years ago. A small indie 1GB game came with a PCB while Zelda didn't. I think eventually all Switch games in the 8GB range didn't come with PCBs.

The Gigaleak link upthread listed 2 manufactuers. LAPIS and MACRONIX

I've seen Switch gamecard tearndowns with PCBs with the familiar MX logo so I'm not entirely certain its differentiated by manufacturer but rather by game size.

8GB RAM for Switch 2 is safe bet, not only that Switch 2 will most likely have DLSS so it will run native games (before DLSS) at most at 1080p and basically you dont need more than 6-7GB of RAM for sucha games, but Nintendo will want to have lower costs and price point in any case for Switch 2 ($400 at most).

In Switch case, pop-up in games has more with memory bandwidth and CPU power than with amount of memory itself.
As soon as they touched 400 they would have already left that market.

Samsung constantly reiterating that Exynos 2200 has hardware ray tracing, I'm expecting a good bit of usage in some amount from Nintendo devs. granted, I have no idea what Exynos can do with RT, but we've seen non-hardware accelerated RT on mobile, so I'm not gonna set my expectations too low

I think it's a safe bet insofar as it's the lowest possible increase out there on a memory configuration (2x 4GB modules) that's fairly popular so it will be cheap for them to go that route.

But depending on Nintendo's requirements and possible thought of futureproofing, 12GB i think is more reasonable especially if you consider two things.
RAM isn't something Nintendo has traditionally skimped on relative to the performance of their system.
If we assume worst case the Switch 2 OS remains at 1GB (perhaps creeping up to 1.5) 8GB leaves games with 7 to 6.5GB , that's barely over 2x increase, and even Wii U to Switch allowed for a 3x increase in RAM. But who knows, their OS footprint may be larger this time.

Understanbly as we get to larger RAM pools, 2x is still a lot, but i can see 2X being acceptable if Switch already had 8GB like with the PS4/XBONE, but coming from 4GB, 3X to 12GB is not an unreasonable target.

An alternative to the 12GB configuration is something like 10GB configu where they go with the same 8GB (2x 4GB pool of the top end RAM) and have a cheaper 2GB module just for the OS. Similar to what Sony was doing with the PS4 Pro. In that case going from 3 to 3.25GB to 8GB would be much more reasonable jump for devs.

With respect to RAM, what should be considered is that on the physical device, the switch is rather limited here in terms of how much it can house internally.

As of current, the Switch has 2 memory modules of 2GB LPDDR4X RAM. Each ram is about 100mm^2 or so, the space these two modules take up isn’t really small either:

csm_Switch12_99bb65d033.jpg

if you are going to have a third or even a 4th memory module, you would need to figure out how to place it in such a tight package here.

Next, is heat, while we concern ourselves with the SoC heat, the RAM also releases heat when in use. The V2, Lite and OLED models are clocked lower than their maximum so the heat they produce is lower, which aids in factoring for its efficiency as the fan doesn’t need to be on a full blast all the time. This is among the other reasons for why these devices are as efficient as they are.

And finally, is the power draw. When the switch goes through its hierarchy, it accesses the RAM which invokes more energy usage and repeated over a series and you get what adds up to more energy being used than necessary. Having 2 is one thing, have 3 or 4 is separate modules that need to be accessed for data and these don’t consume zero energy.

The reason I have been saying that more cache for the device is beneficial for this device is that this reduces the need to fetch data from the RAM (and reduces latency as a result) and aids in it’s efficiency. The Apple A series chips are efficient not only in part due to their own engineering but also in part because they don’t really skimp out in cache that helps with the efficiency of the chip and less need to go out and access the RAM.

Of course, the use case of those chips isn’t really the same as a game console like this. But while we can make a theoretical device that has all the bells and whistles that devs want and for games to look and run as best as possible, as soon as you bring physics, form factor, use case, etc., you start to see where it falls apart and you are left with “mm, well what if- no that won’t work” scenario.

And I haven’t even discussed the need to have the memory controllers on the soc on either side, or the cost and what have you.

2 modules seems like the sweet spot.

Now do they have the ones that we have in mind? (64-bit 3GB/4GB/6GB modules?)

ORIN NX already seems to use 2 6GB 64-bit modules apparently.

I think it's a safe bet insofar as it's the lowest possible increase out there on a memory configuration (2x 4GB modules) that's fairly popular so it will be cheap for them to go that route.

But depending on Nintendo's requirements and possible thought of futureproofing, 12GB i think is more reasonable especially if you consider two things.
RAM isn't something Nintendo has traditionally skimped on relative to the performance of their system.
If we assume worst case the Switch 2 OS remains at 1GB (perhaps creeping up to 1.5) 8GB leaves games with 7 to 6.5GB , that's barely over 2x increase, and even Wii U to Switch allowed for a 3x increase in RAM. But who knows, their OS footprint may be larger this time.

Understanbly as we get to larger RAM pools, 2x is still a lot, but i can see 2X being acceptable if Switch already had 8GB like with the PS4/XBONE, but coming from 4GB, 3X to 12GB is not an unreasonable target.

An alternative to the 12GB configuration is something like 10GB configu where they go with the same 8GB (2x 4GB pool of the top end RAM) and have a cheaper 2GB module just for the OS. Similar to what Sony was doing with the PS4 Pro. In that case going from 3 to 3.25GB to 8GB would be much more reasonable jump for devs.
I think the need for a lot of memory is going away thanks to faster storage, more on board memory, and smarter usage of data. we see that with nvmes on other systems, infinity cache on rdna2, and things like nanite/meshshaders and sampler feedback.

Edit: Regarding the timing, games released as recently as Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania have green. If the circuit board is an indicator, they still have two suppliers.
I think the only way to know for certain is to tear down recent Nintendo Switch Game Cards with the PCB clearly visible on the back and see if the chip attached to the PCB features Macronix's logo or not.

One potential problem with having a RAM configuration of 8 GB and 2 GB separately is that two separate RAM channels would be required, with one RAM channel dedicated to 8 GB of RAM, and another RAM channel dedicated to 2 GB of RAM, which I believe is very similar to how the RAM is configured on the Xbox Series X|S. I imagine having more than one RAM channel would require the SoC and the motherboard to be larger to accommodate the additional RAM channels, which could be problematic for space constraint devices, which I imagine the DLSS model* will be, assuming the form factor will be very similar to the OLED model.

I think the need for a lot of memory is going away thanks to faster storage, more on board memory, and smarter usage of data. we see that with nvmes on other systems, infinity cache on rdna2, and things like nanite/meshshaders and sampler feedback.
Yes, but I think it may be cheaper to have more RAM than a super faster storage solution.
One thing also is they will likely increase RAM proportionately to the transfer speeds of the solid state media to keep pace or improve loading times. And we don't really have a consensus on that really.

I think 2X is a safe bet but wouldn't be surprised if they go for more.

I think the only way to know for certain is to tear down recent Nintendo Switch Game Cards with the PCB clearly visible on the back and see if the chip attached to the PCB features Macronix's logo or not.

One potential problem with having a RAM configuration of 8 GB and 2 GB separately is that two separate RAM channels would be required, with one RAM channel dedicated to 8 GB of RAM, and another RAM channel dedicated to 2 GB of RAM, which I believe is very similar to how the RAM is configured on the Xbox Series X|S. I imagine having more than one RAM channel would require the SoC and the motherboard to be larger to accommodate the additional RAM channels, which could be problematic for space constraint devices, which I imagine the DLSS model* will be, assuming the form factor will be very similar to the OLED model.
The PS4 Pro implementation is the extra RAM is purely for OS/background tasks only, and for caching video recording, so i assume the frame buffer will dump the video data there instead of the shared pool for the game. That's where their voice chat applet would sit if they do finally decide to go that route and have an integrated communications dashboard ont he platform. Games only access the main pool and won't see the RAM for the OS.

Last edited:
they can do something stupid like mixing stacked ram over the SoC (the 8GB game ram) and the 2GB OS ram on the mainboard with longer traces to the SoC

they can do something stupid like mixing stacked ram over the SoC (the 8GB game ram) and the 2GB OS ram on the mainboard with longer traces to the SoC
Honestly with how overengineered Orin is that wouldn't be too unreasonable if NVIDIA just designed it fully themselves

I think twice RAM is enough, I mean PS5 also have twice RAM compared to PS4.

Also, hole thing is price sensitive, for instance we will almost certainly have Switch 2 Lite also, that means price point of $249-$299,
I have hard time imaging Nintendo selling device at that price point with 10-12GB of RAM memory.

Also, hole thing is price sensitive, for instance we will almost certainly have Switch 2 Lite also, that means price point of $249-$299,
I have hard time imaging Nintendo selling device at that price point with 10-12GB of RAM memory.
Well with a Switch Lite they could reduce the RAM amount as it wouldn't need to worry about >1080p Assets

Devs already have to optimize for portable mode, so just reducing the amount of RAM to 6 for games in portable mode and it likely will be fine.

Well with a Switch Lite they could reduce the RAM amount as it wouldn't need to worry about >1080p Assets

Devs already have to optimize for portable mode, so just reducing the amount of RAM to 6 for games in portable mode and it likely will be fine.
Changing the amount of RAM available to games while they're running is probably not a good idea. It's a lot harder to react to than changing clocks or resolutions.

The PS4 Pro implementation is the extra RAM is purely for OS/background tasks only, and for caching video recording, so i assume the frame buffer will dump the video data there instead of the shared pool for the game. That's where their voice chat applet would sit if they do finally decide to go that route and have an integrated communications dashboard ont he platform. Games only access the main pool and won't see the RAM for the OS.
Which required another separate RAM channel since Sony's using two 512 MB DDR3 chips for the RAM dedicated for OS background tasks on the PlayStation 4 Pro (one in the front and one in the back of the PlayStation 4 Pro's motherboard) instead of only one 256 MB DDR3 chip for the RAM dedicated for OS background tasks on the PlayStation 4 and the PlayStation 4 Slim.

I imagine another separate RAM channel would require the APU and the motherboard to increase in size, which I imagine is a big problem for size constraint devices, like hybrid console devices (e.g. the DLSS model*), but is not a big problem for home console devices (e.g. the PlayStation 4 Pro, etc.).

And the PlayStation 4 Pro's APU and motherboard do seem noticeably larger compared to the PlayStation 4's APU and motherboard, as well as the PlayStation 4 Slim's APU and motherboard, partly due to probably more RAM channels required on the PlayStation 4 Pro's APU and the motherboard to accommodate the two 512 MB DDR3 chips on the PlayStation 4 Pro.

Honestly with how overengineered Orin is that wouldn't be too unreasonable if NVIDIA just designed it fully themselves
The only task Nvidia could realistically do is make Dane bigger to accommodate more RAM channels since Nvidia's only 100% responsible for designing and providing the SoC. (As well as designing and providing the API, but I'm talking solely about hardware.) How the RAM's configured and installed outside of the SoC is 100% Nintendo's responsibility.

Eh, I'm not as confident about the eventual release of a Dane Switch Lite. At least not close to within the 1.5 yrs like the original Lite was released. The feasibility of a die shrink from whatever Dane is, seems like a much more difficult task. Plus Nintendo's stated goal for the Lite seemed for it to be "a sub US$200 unit, aimed at casual gamers, to compete with gaming services that do not require a dedicated device."

A refreshed Lite with an OLED screen at some point though, sure.

Samsung constantly reiterating that Exynos 2200 has hardware ray tracing, I'm expecting a good bit of usage in some amount from Nintendo devs. granted, I have no idea what Exynos can do with RT, but we've seen non-hardware accelerated RT on mobile, so I'm not gonna set my expectations too low

I think RT on Exynos 2200 will be limited seeing how the Ray Accelerators in RDNA2 are mostly on par or worse than Turings RT cores. if Danes RT cores are third Gen then it will widen the gap and more with DLSS

There is no point in a OLED Lite if the Dane has an OLED screen. There will probably be a Dane Lite after some revision that shrinks the die, fixes some minor flaws, and increases battery life. I’m sure Nintendo and Nvidia will be able to figure something out by that time though so it is not a major concern.

2 modules seems like the sweet spot.

Now do they have the ones that we have in mind? (64-bit 3GB/4GB/6GB modules?)

ORIN NX already seems to use 2 6GB 64-bit modules apparently.

Don't worry too much about the existence of different module sizes for LPDDR5. Micron's sampling and/or producing 4 GB/6 GB/8 GB/12 GB/16 GB 64-bit modules.
(Samsung's page currently returning 0 results for me so we'll set that aside for now, and SK Hynix is apparently all 8-bit or 16-bit?)
It comes back to being mainly a cost question.

...and who else wants to see the alternate timeline where money is a non-issue and Dane is rocking two 16 GB 64-bit modules for a total of 32 GB of RAM?

I mean I think this would probably be the best result
Lite=200$
Docked=200$
Standard=300$
Premium=350$
Docked and Lite would be the same price with the two profiles of handheld and docked respectively going to each standalone product. Though I’m doubting if they would do dock only.
Standard is whatever standard model plus revisions they come with.
Premium is whatever major redesign and/or feature they wanna put in there.

I wonder if Nintendo's been experimenting with wireless docking with the next Nintendo Switch Lite model, assuming Nintendo has plans to release one.

I wonder if Nintendo's been experimenting with wireless docking with the next Nintendo Switch Lite model, assuming Nintendo has plans to release one.
Honestly I feel Wireless Docking is too pro of a feature to fit into a budget Lite.

Not to mention the headaches performance/profile wise

I still sort of wish that they included that wireless streaming tech in the switch but reversed it to the TV... that was to me, by far the best thing to come from the Wii U. My gamepad had less latency than my TV in game mode. Maybe that could make a return... who knows
I feel like they'd like to do SOMEthing in terms of new features in a switch like device for Dane.

Don't worry too much about the existence of different module sizes for LPDDR5. Micron's sampling and/or producing 4 GB/6 GB/8 GB/12 GB/16 GB 64-bit modules.
(Samsung's page currently returning 0 results for me so we'll set that aside for now, and SK Hynix is apparently all 8-bit or 16-bit?)
It comes back to being mainly a cost question.
Hm, isn’t that this year? In any case, I think 4GB isn’t ready yet (still being sampled) so 2 6GB may be an option.

But if 4GB is available, that could be a thing too.

I don’t see them going for 16GB though. Not like they really need such high amounts of RAM I think. There’s a balancing act here also for the specifications of the device. If it is like an XB1 when docked, I think 7-11GB is accessible RAM is plenty for it. But I’m probably in the minority.

...and who else wants to see the alternate timeline where money is a non-issue and Dane is rocking two 16 GB 64-bit modules for a total of 32 GB of RAM?
Me! So much RAM, so little time.

I think at the point games on console need 32GB of RAM and we don’t notice a difference, we have plateaued somewhere lol
This is where I stand
I just don't see the need
My thought process is that if this device is going to be more expensive, like 400 USD, it makes it difficult to entertain a 200 (or 300?) Dollar lite. A 300-350 dollar docked only model maybe where it ditches the screen (which isn’t a minor cost), battery, dock, etc., and just has it as one set top box that is perhaps digital only could make it possible for a low cost entry point. In a more feasible manner than the Lite could which was more like a “damaged good” product.

The portable model would sell out more most likely, and I doubt they would do different spec discrepancies to make the development and consumer side easier and only up to their flexibility, so devs develop for two configs and not worry about an extra third that’s higher.

So, Switch Home = Switch 2 docked perf (both before DLSS)

I think selling a $500+ device to enthusiasts to start and then cutting the price as it becomes the standard is a more viable product model than ever before, and especially suited to the situation Nintendo is in now

I think selling a $500+ device to enthusiasts to start and then cutting the price as it becomes the standard is a more viable product model than ever before, and especially suited to the situation Nintendo is in now
I've been under the impression for a while that Dane will be upsold at first as a "premium" model, then price-dropped eventually as the Mariko is phased out and Dane becomes the new "base" model. Seems to make sense (even though I don't want to pay a bundle to get one early).

I've been under the impression for a while that Dane will be upsold at first as a "premium" model, then price-dropped eventually as the Mariko is phased out and Dane becomes the new "base" model. Seems to make sense (even though I don't want to pay a bundle to get one early).
Mariko is getting phased out by the OLED probably within the next 2yrs. It is the same tactic they did with 3DS revisions. However it’s hard to determine if they are going to drop the price of OLED (350->300) then slot in the Dane (350-400) at that price. I don’t think selling the device for 500 is on the table.

Mariko is getting phased out by the OLED probably within the next 2yrs. It is the same tactic they did with 3DS revisions. However it’s hard to determine if they are going to drop the price of OLED (350->300) then slot in the Dane (350-400) at that price. I don’t think selling the device for 500 is on the table.
Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but doesn't the OLED still run Mariko..?

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom