• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

Or it was just an unsubstantiated rumor to begin with.

I feel like (for better or worse) caching/installs kinda have to be the way to go for faster performance. UHS-II is expensive, III basically doesn't exist on the market it seems (might as well be UFS), SD Express is a ways off (and will probably be expensive as well), and I don't see the game cards themselves becoming majorly faster either. Course with heavy usage like caching involves, you'd want big storage or expandable/replaceable memory to reduce the wear.

So I guess we're back to M.2 2230 seeming like the best option...size, power, and ruggedness concerns be damned.
Given how throttled internal storage and the sd card are, there's room for growth. Given devs wanted 1GB/s storage in the other systems, I don't think the ceiling for Dane is as high as we thought

There's a rumour from FrontTron about the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 being fabricated using Samsung's 4LPX process node, which is basically Samsung's 5LPP process node. Hopefully, Anandtech will have more details on which process node Qualcomm's using to fabricate the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 later today.
Samsung seems to be in a strong position with multiple rumours concerning their customers (AMD/Qualcomm for 3GAE, Exynos on 4LPE, 8GEN1 on 4LPX).

Hopefully Qualcomm will reveal the Snapdragon 8cx Gen 3 today (or tomorrow if not today), assuming that the Snapdragon 8cx Gen 3 uses the octa-core configuration of the Cortex-A78C based on the description of the CPU cores from a rumour.

And I'm curious about what CPU is being used for the Snapdragon 7c+ Gen 3.

Maybe Mochizuki will wake up today and choose violence
So you are saying...
maxresdefault.jpg

edit wrong thread

But yes It's slow news ... I bet we won't hear anything until after the holidays and into the new year
Eh, I do say there is a chance of us hearing something around TGAs next week.

But after that, yeah next year would be the next major infodump

Eh, I do say there is a chance of us hearing something around TGAs next week.

But after that, yeah next year would be the next major infodump
That's probably only in terms of software.

I think MP!'s also talking about hardware. And I personally don't expect to heard anything about hardware that's explicitly related to the DLSS model* until after 2021 ends.

I think MP!'s also talking about hardware. And I personally don't expect to heard anything about hardware that's explicitly related to the DLSS model* until after 2021 ends.
software would still tell us something about the hardware at least

software would still tell us something about the hardware at least
If Nintendo plans to release another trailer for the sequel to Breath of the Wild at The Game Awards 2021, the only obvious hardware clue that the trailer would give without engaging in a deep analysis is potentially Nintendo's planned launch window for the DLSS model* as of The Game Awards 2021.

And I'm talking about a notification about Dane being taped out and spec details when I said "...I personally don't expect to heard anything about hardware that's explicitly related to the DLSS model* until after 2021 ends."

yeah exactly more specifically I don't think, or expect rather, that someone like kopite would have any more Dane specific info until next year

I think as far as released commercial mobile Arm based SoCs are concerned, Samsung's 14LPE process node is the most advanced process node used for the Cortex-A57, which is one of the CPU cores that the Exynos 7420 uses. But I think TSMC's 10FF process node is the most advanced process node used for the Cortex-A57, which is used for TSMC's 10FF validation SoC.

And there was a rumour about Nintendo requesting a Tegra X1 sample from Nvidia, where TSMC's 7 nm** process node is used for fabrication, and the frequency of the Cortex-A57 cores increased from 1.9 GHz to 2.52 GHz, despite Nvidia and TSMC warning Nintendo about the difficulty of exceeding the Cortex-A57's max frequency of 1.9 GHz. And the power consumption was apparently higher than expected.

** → a marketing nomenclature used by all foundry companies
The rumor seems believable to a degree, because as ILikeFeet mentioned, it would have offered the easiest way to deal with BC without having to do an extra turn.

And that is possibly disappointing if it can’t work for the 10/8nm family stack SEC. Could have been a nice little OS core.

The rumor seems believable to a degree, because as ILikeFeet mentioned, it would have offered the easiest way to deal with BC without having to do an extra turn.

And that is possibly disappointing if it can’t work for the 10/8nm family stack SEC. Could have been a nice little OS core.
I hope they aren't still considering a57s for the new device

It could be that 8gen1 is expected to be lower volume, allowing Qualcomm to make the design to produce as much yield as possible
8gen1 already benefit from using a newer version of 5LPE (4LPX which is 5LPP) while E2200 is using 4LPE which is more in line with TSMC's 5 nm density (175 MTr/mm2).

They made this frankenstein soc for the WiiU for the sake of back compat, but I would hope they learned their lesson.
Frankenstein chips and pushing existing designs to their limit are pretty common (see the PS5's design for the former, Wii and Gamecube for the latter). I don't think the Wii U's failure was about not getting the performance that Nintendo wanted - I think Nintendo got what they wanted, but what they wanted the market didn't.

Seeing if an uplock/dieshrink is viable seems minimum due diligence for an iterative successor. In a world where it panned out power wise, maybe we already have a switch pro, sitting at comfortable prices. I'm glad they didn't because I like seeing what else they come up with, but there would be some advantages...

Quoted by: SiG
They made this frankenstein soc for the WiiU for the sake of back compat, but I would hope they learned their lesson.
I would expect a pandemic and a global chip shortage have induced significant delays that better alternatives have become available thanks to the improved processing nodes. I am also curious if the newer ARM cores and Nvidia's SoCs are capable of "hardware emulation" to a certain degree.

Seeing if an uplock/dieshrink is viable seems minimum due diligence for an iterative successor. In a world where it panned out power wise, maybe we already have a switch pro, sitting at comfortable prices. I'm glad they didn't because I like seeing what else they come up with, but there would be some advantages...
I'd also say that Mariko does have the headroom for upclocks and performance boosts, but at this current situation I don't think the Mariko chips can be produced sustainably without incurring losses due to the whole TSMC pulling out discounts.

A lot of the decisions seems to be logistics, too. But like you, I'm in favor of seeing it so it forces Nintendo to upgrade to a more contemporary architecture.

I'd also prefer Nintendo and NV to tackle BC issues gradually over generations instead of relying on low-level hardware BC until it can't hold itself anymore and we have a Wii U redux. That said Wii U was a failure on so many fronts, that the one Nintendo took a lesson from is not necessarily the same as the one we would expect them to.

Quoted by: SiG
I'd also prefer Nintendo and NV to tackle BC issues gradually over generations instead of relying on low-level hardware BC until it can't hold itself anymore and we have a Wii U redux. That said Wii U was a failure on so many fronts, that the one Nintendo took a lesson from is not necessarily the same as the one we would expect them to.
They should entrust backcompat hardware/software emulation to NERD, given their track record is pretty much up there with M2's.

I'd also say that Mariko does have the headroom for upclocks and performance boosts, but at this current situation I don't think the Mariko chips can be produced sustainably without incurring losses due to the whole TSMC pulling out discounts.
I would really expect Nintendo to release a 8 nm version of TX1 with no cooling and a smaller battery in a smaller lite model for less than $100. Maybe in 2023 or later.

I feel like (for better or worse) caching/installs kinda have to be the way to go for faster performance. UHS-II is expensive, III basically doesn't exist on the market it seems (might as well be UFS), SD Express is a ways off (and will probably be expensive as well), and I don't see the game cards themselves becoming majorly faster either. Course with heavy usage like caching involves, you'd want big storage or expandable/replaceable memory to reduce the wear.

So I guess we're back to M.2 2230 seeming like the best option...size, power, and ruggedness concerns be damned.
eUFS is still very much an applicable option for replacing eMMC for internal storage at least, given how widespread its usage is in Android phones, which would definitely be the option if internal installs are needed.

For comparison, the original Switch used a Toshiba THGBMHG8C2LBAIL eMMC chip, which was rated to the JEDEC eMMC 5.1 standard. The random read rating of eMMC 5.1 is up to 11,000 IOPS (input/output operations per second). Samsung‘s eUFS v3.1 chips (which are now in mass production) are rated at up to 100,000 IOPS in the same random read category. That’s nearly a literal order of magnitude increase in read performance. Write performance is a similar deal. Even eUFS v2.0 (from back in 2016) is rated at 4 times the random read performance of the fastest eMMC.

eUFS seems like the choice for more performant internal storage, the only thing that remains is what external storage will be. As we discussed prior, Nintendo could leverage its position to push for UFS card production.

As for game cards, we know so little about the game card and its reader’s theoretical upper limits, or if there are any other viable ROM-based options Nintendo could opt for other than Macronix‘s SIMD XtraROM solution.

Internal storage is all sewn up, as far as I’m concerned, it will be some version of eUFS. How Nintendo resolves the rest, if they choose to resolve it at all, is the only question that remains.

I would really expect Nintendo to release a 8 nm version of TX1 with no cooling and a smaller battery in a smaller lite model for less than $100. Maybe in 2023 or later.
the cost to reengineer the TX1 for 8nm would guarantee this costs $200+

Both the PS4 Pro and XBOX ONE SERIES X still had to have AMD Jaguar CPU's to keep compatibility
and yet the successors have Ryzen 3000 style cpus and still have compatibility

They used Amd Jaguar cpu and a frankenstein GPU because it gave them easy compatibility
Correct. Easy compatibility while meeting their requirements.

That's different than saying that a Pro would require it. Moving to a new architecture will cost them a lot more to achieve BC, but is doable.

They used Amd Jaguar cpu and a frankenstein GPU because it gave them easy compatibility
the difference is that they had room to scale up. scaling is the path of least resistance. the CPU and GPU were already on the same nodes as the One and PS4, they just added GPU cores to them. Nintendo can't do that as they are space limited and the CPU and GPU were not made for such high clock speeds. moving them to 8nm would cost as much as R&D'ing Dane. maybe more as the costs aren't amortized like Dane is with Orin.

That would require Nintendo and Nvidia to redesign the Tegra X1 with Samsung's IP in mind since the Tegra X1 was designed with TSMC's IPs from the beginning. And that alone would be one of the reasons for a console that costs more than $100 as ILikeFeet said.

But in the scenario that Nintendo and Nvidia are designing a 8 nm** variant of the Tegra X1, I hope Nintendo and Nvidia decide to at least use a noticeably better CPU (e.g. Cortex-A72).

Both the PS4 Pro and XBOX ONE SERIES X still had to have AMD Jaguar CPU's to keep compatibility
Backwards compatibility shouldn't be a concern when the CPU is concerned, considering that the Armv8.2 architecture (assuming the DLSS model* uses the Cortex-A78C for the CPU, which runs on the Armv8.2 architecture) is backwards compatible with the Armv8.0 architecture (which the Cortex-A57, the CPU on the Tegra X1, runs on).

The problem when backwards compatibility is concerned is with the GPU.

~

Anyway, Qualcomm announced the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 today. And Qualcomm only mentioned Samsung's 4 nm** process node was used. Qualcomm made no mention which variant of Samsung's 4 nm** process node being used to fabricate the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1. (There's a rumour from FrontTron about the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 being fabricated using Samsung's 4LPX process node, which is basically Samsung's 5LPP process node.)

Speaking of PS4 Pro/Xbox One X sticking with Jaguar, the only realistic alternative in that time period would've been Puma, right?
Checking with wiki, I get the impression that Puma's improvements over Jaguar were suited for mobile, but not as meaningful for the Pro/X.

I hope they aren't still considering a57s for the new device
Just to be clear, my comment was about using the A57 as the little cores or OS cores. They offer a similar level of perf to the A510 at the same clock (theoretically).

They didn’t need the Jaguar CPUs to have compatibility.

and I’m not sure what console you are referring to in the bolded
Its a solvable problem for a Switch 2 but probably not worth the hassle for a Switch PRO

It was going to be a hassle regardless if it was the pro or the 2.

and I’m not sure what console you are referring to in the bolded
Probably only the Xbox One X since davec00ke mentioned a Jaguar CPU. (Microsoft isn't exactly doing any favours by using 'X' for two different consoles, with the only difference, name wise, being 'One' vs 'Series'. The same could be said about Microsoft using 'S' for two different consoles.)

Probably only the Xbox One X since davec00ke mentioned a Jaguar CPU. (Microsoft isn't exactly doing any favours by using 'X' for two different consoles, with the only difference, name wise, being 'One' vs 'Series'. The same could be said about Microsoft using 'S' for two different consoles.)
Sorry I mean Xbox One X

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom