• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

If i was expecting one thing, it's definitely the needless "Were expecting ..." drive-by posts.

But you know, i would like expecting not seeing them anymore, how about that?

...people were seriously expecting 2022?
I think there was still some lingering hope for an announcement this year. While it still could happen, I think it's more likely to be announced Jan/Feb of next year for a H1 release.

This announcement doesn't change much in the grand scheme of information we have for Drake.

...people were seriously expecting 2022?
The original rumor from early 2021 said the window for this device was late 22 to early 23. So yes, 2022 was never a ridiculous expectation but once summer came and went without an announcement it was clear that it wouldn't be this year

I think there was still some lingering hope for an announcement this year. While it still could happen, I think it's more likely to be announced Jan/Feb of next year for a H1 release.

This announcement doesn't change much in the grand scheme of information we have for Drake.
That sounds like what I'm expecting tbh. Mirror what they did with the original switch, minus the October teaser

I’ll try my best to answer your questions!

Do we have any idea why Nintendo opted to only use the Performance cores of the X1?

Besides being better than the little cores, the A57 and the A53s were first gen big.LITTLE, which didn’t work right. So, if you used that, you can only use one core cluster or use the other core cluster at a time. If you had 4A57 + 4A53, and you had a game loaded for example, while the game would use the perf cores imagine hitting the home menu button. This would turn the A57s off and turn the A53s on.

This wouldn’t really be good for games, for phones sure as they are lighter applications, but not really for games when trying to load back in.

Plus…. the A53s straight up didn’t work on any TX1. Faulty issue.

This was corrected with the DynamIQ introduced in the A75 and A55 that allowed all cores to be used even if not in a homogeneous cluster.

If battery life was the concern, wouldn't the OS using 1 or 2 Efficiency cores have made more sense?

It would have, yes, but as mentioned not only did they not work right, they simply weren’t right for a console like this with a suspension feature. Or performance. Nintendo (well, their partner that made the GCN) opted to keep Out of order when they could have chose to remove it just like how MS and Sony did with the 360 and PS3 to reduce cost (and heat I think), going the little route would remove the Out of Order and made them In Order. Plus their performance is terrible.

What benefit does running the OS on a single high performance CPU core have over 4 smaller cores? Especially when it could have meant 33% more CPU time available for games (not exactly, I know, I'm generalising.)

Well, using a perf core can have the benefit at being more efficient at doing it while being faster at doing the OS tasks. It can be clocked pretty low while offer battery saving perf and be more performant at doing the same job.

The perf cores are also more flexible at the job I think and better suited for a console in this case.

I think that the only downside is the bigger due space requirement. It’s still small mind you, but bigger than the little cores.

Does anyone know if these cores and their lack of SMT might seriously gimp its ability to run code made for, say, Xbox Series S' 8 core, 16 thread situation?

Nah, if anything the other consoles (PS4/XB1 gen) made developers lean more on having games be more multithreaded rather than good single threaded performance. SMT can boost performance but it completely varies per game. And not all games are actually going to see massive gains in SMT. Some games can see 5% improvement or 50%. Better to round it to about 20-35% better perf in expectation in MT applications.

The PS4 and XB1 gen making devs focus more on multithreaded application already somewhat set an expectation I think that it wouldn’t be so big with SMT. But I could be wrong on this part.

If Drake has 8 cores, devs would lean on its MT capabilities not so much it’s single threaded.

As for your addendum, they do have a core dedicated to their OS. A core that would make up two threads enabled just for OS application. That can be across two cores using one thread or a single core using two threads. I’m gonna lean on the single core using two threads though….

The reason the SD has 16GB isn’t really an applicable reason for why Drake should have 16GB. The 16GB is for longevity reasons for PC titles on top of also leveraging the layers for games to work on it, but Drake isn’t playing PC titles, it is getting custom titles for it. I don’t really think 12GB is a destined to fail scenario when 10-11GB would be just for games. The Ps5 has like 11-13GB available for games (it’s OS is pretty heavy). Series X has 13.5GB available for games.

Series S, at most, has I guess 8GB for games.

If Drake were a straight PC, 16GB would be the minimum recommended because of the Pc environment. So something like the Aya Neo or GPD win would actually be better with at least 16GB for longevity of the PC platform. They have to leverage an OS like windows after all. Drake doesn’t. 12GB would be the equivalent of a Steam Deck 16GB.

16GB is pretty expensive to have. The Steam Deck at 16GB for the 400 dollar unit is selling at a loss.

btw, GB not Gb ;). 12Gb is 1.5GB and 8 is 1GB.

I think this is where we need to remember that Drake is a console not a PC desktop/laptop running windows or a compatibility layer of sorts to emulate windows.

While yes it is a pain to work with the series S for memory, it was more to do with Ray Tracing and memory bandwidth limitations of the system. Drake will not get over the latter but can deal with the former a bit better due to being on a more RT friendly platform. It’s why you see games not use RT on the series S anymore.

not the only thing, just more to do with the bandwidth and RT.

Yes DLSS requires space of RAM for it to work right.

But to your first point, the Drake system will internally most likely function at 720-1080p range before DLSS so it doesn’t have to worry about the higher VRAM requirements from PC Cards.

And again, a console will have its own customization and optimization that isn’t available at all on PC.

I skipped it to this, but before I say anything….uh, can you add spaces and separations for your posts? They become a bit hard to read as it’s pretty long. Making spaces and paragraphs that are separate and easier to read would help a lot.

Second, to my main point, I personally don’t see the need of them going with 16GB when the consoles/platforms that will have these games based around them will have less than this available for games. The Drake console isn’t going to be the targeted platform, the targeted platforms will have 7.5-13.5GB available for games. Drake having 14-15GB while nice… is just extra memory but I’m not sure for what…?

It’s not going to push some super high end graphics, it’s gonna push lower end graphics and being designed right for that is crucial.

12GB is a sweet spot that is also long lasting. 16GB is “excessive” and 8GB is more like cutting it short.

10-12GB is really the sweet spot for a platform like the switch drake*
I don't get the claim that "it won't go for high end graphics" when the leaked GPU at its core is better than the XSS's, it will have DLSS on a neural unit to allow the GPU more room for manoeuvre. It will share many 3rdP titles with all those platforms, and when it will have the better ray tracing feature set. I suspect it WILL become the lead platform among some developers in their domestic markets, notably some of the lower-budget JRPG stables, and for many Indie developers, who have been banqueting on the Switch VS other platforms. Saying it's a portable hasn't stopped the existence of Steam Deck or Apple's M-Series SoCs, or phones adopting 16GB, or Nintendo apparently going harder than what "the consensus" told us to expect - Please, don't assume that I haven't considered a host of factors, too. If I hadn't, I wouldn't even post here.

But as I wrote, ambitions don't stand still. There is a strong case for the 16, and if it's true that 16GB is in the devkits, I struggle to understand how, in a speculation thread, we can not begin to consider this possibility, and straight-up gloss over it. I don't apologise for being on the more optimistic side of this discussion, and I hold nothing against those who disagree. There's no hostility intended on my part. Perhaps a little frustration at the reverting to type with the disbelief in light of what is known, and at some of the persistent ignorance... but I'm not saying anything over the top here, only that better is possible, and the confidence is there, as the Switch has been a clear success.

Furthermore, I don't think it's just a case of "same product, better internals" - That, too, would be complacent. PS5's OS is very different to PS4's. I'm not as well-versed on XBox's, but they have Quick Resume and playing multiple games at a time. XBox Game Pass is also available on Samsung's flagship phones. If we look at phones again, Android and iOS have new versions, with updates, as well as events to show people what they mean. Why, then, are we just assuming that the OS will be the same for Nintendo? Who's to say they won't try to reform Miiverse and bring it back, for example? Or other multimedia apps won't be possible this time? Expansion strategies exist, and I don't believe they're bound by the same conditions which existed in 2017. One recent move was Nintendo Pictures - It's possible that future Switch owners will be able to watch their output on their devices. We don't have Art Academy on Switch yet - It's possible that they could have art studio apps. There are so many reasons why more RAM might be needed, and all I've done here is present that case. That isn't the same thing as saying these things will happen, but we can, at least, consider it.

It's my view that Nintendo already produces the best graphics, anyway, but I will say that on the graphics front, the perception that they don't go high-end exists for dishonest reasons. Screenshots and stills don't tell the whole story; Sony 1stP has long notoriously sacrificed 60FPS for perceived "high-end visual spectacle" - If they prioritised 60FPS, as Nintendo had in the Wii U era, I don't think anybody could say with a straight face that their graphical output was orders of magnitude more than anything Nintendo put out in the same time, and the receipts are out there.

I will try my best to break my longer posts down into smaller paragraphs. I have a learning disability, which I have spoken more openly about in many places for almost 7 years, and understand how difficult it can be to process. This also means I can find it difficult to express my thoughts, and all the more so because I'll write on these topics in bursts, saying my bit and disappearing. It can mean that the content, although coherent, can be lengthy... But I hope I can say I bring some thoughtful and considered responses to the table.

I expect a Zelda OLED to launch with BotW2 and the "Drake" to release the end of 23 (Holiday) and MP4 being the showcase + cross gen title. It will be revealed at or 1-2 month after E3. That's where i stand. I long ditched Zelda as being the showcase title and jumped onto MP4 to be that.

there is nothing impressive in predicting a non-launch in 2022, most peoples here were talking about 2023
I’m not the only one obviously. But I predicted it when lot’s of people though it could have been even if a Splatoon version was just announced. Now with a Pokémon too.
I mean. I want a new version too but it’s impossibile for the moment. Just this.

I expect a Zelda OLED to launch with BotW2 and the "Drake" to release the end of 23 (Holiday) and MP4 being the showcase + cross gen title. It will be revealed at or 1-2 month after E3. That's where i stand. I long ditched Zelda as being the showcase title and jumped onto MP4 to be that.
Welcome to Team Holiday 2023

I’m not the only one obviously. But I predicted it when lot’s of people though it could have been even if a Splatoon version was just announced. Now with a Pokémon too.
I mean. I want a new version too but it’s impossibile for the moment. Just this.
I don't think anyone was ever firmly expecting it to release this year. Many of us believed it remained a possibility thanks to rumored release windows and the vagaries of the factory leaks we'd gotten, but things have gradually been developing toward '23.

This isn't FanDuels, we're not placing bets.

I don't get the claim that "it won't go for high end graphics" when the leaked GPU at its core is better than the XSS's, it will have DLSS on a neural unit to allow the GPU more room for manoeuvre. It will share many 3rdP titles with all those platforms, and when it will have the better ray tracing feature set. I suspect it WILL become the lead platform among some developers in their domestic markets, notably some of the lower-budget JRPG stables, and for many Indie developers, who have been banqueting on the Switch VS other platforms. Saying it's a portable hasn't stopped the existence of Steam Deck or Apple's M-Series SoCs, or phones adopting 16GB, or Nintendo apparently going harder than what "the consensus" told us to expect - Please, don't assume that I haven't considered a host of factors, too. If I hadn't, I wouldn't even post here.

But as I wrote, ambitions don't stand still. There is a strong case for the 16, and if it's true that 16GB is in the devkits, I struggle to understand how, in a speculation thread, we can not begin to consider this possibility, and straight-up gloss over it. I don't apologise for being on the more optimistic side of this discussion, and I hold nothing against those who disagree. There's no hostility intended on my part. Perhaps a little frustration at the reverting to type with the disbelief in light of what is known, and at some of the persistent ignorance... but I'm not saying anything over the top here, only that better is possible, and the confidence is there, as the Switch has been a clear success.

Furthermore, I don't think it's just a case of "same product, better internals" - That, too, would be complacent. PS5's OS is very different to PS4's. I'm not as well-versed on XBox's, but they have Quick Resume and playing multiple games at a time. XBox Game Pass is also available on Samsung's flagship phones. If we look at phones again, Android and iOS have new versions, with updates, as well as events to show people what they mean. Why, then, are we just assuming that the OS will be the same for Nintendo? Who's to say they won't try to reform Miiverse and bring it back, for example? Or other multimedia apps won't be possible this time? Expansion strategies exist, and I don't believe they're bound by the same conditions which existed in 2017. One recent move was Nintendo Pictures - It's possible that future Switch owners will be able to watch their output on their devices. We don't have Art Academy on Switch yet - It's possible that they could have art studio apps. There are so many reasons why more RAM might be needed, and all I've done here is present that case. That isn't the same thing as saying these things will happen, but we can, at least, consider it.

It's my view that Nintendo already produces the best graphics, anyway, but I will say that on the graphics front, the perception that they don't go high-end exists for dishonest reasons. Screenshots and stills don't tell the whole story; Sony 1stP has long notoriously sacrificed 60FPS for perceived "high-end visual spectacle" - If they prioritised 60FPS, as Nintendo had in the Wii U era, I don't think anybody could say with a straight face that their graphical output was orders of magnitude more than anything Nintendo put out in the same time, and the receipts are out there.

I will try my best to break my longer posts down into smaller paragraphs. I have a learning disability, which I have spoken more openly about in many places for almost 7 years, and understand how difficult it can be to process. This also means I can find it difficult to express my thoughts, and all the more so because I'll write on these topics in bursts, saying my bit and disappearing. It can mean that the content, although coherent, can be lengthy... But I hope I can say I bring some thoughtful and considered responses to the table.
I enjoy reading your posts as they are! I mean, this is the kind of thread where long posts make the most sense. Nuanced long posts are better than short/tweet-like ones.

I don't think anyone was ever firmly expecting it to release this year. Many of us believed it remained a possibility thanks to rumored release windows and the vagaries of the factory leaks we'd gotten, but things have gradually been developing toward '23.

This isn't FanDuels, we're not placing bets.

Thank God for that. Every time I peek in the Direct speculation thread, I hope and wish that no one in there ever takes up sports gambling.

The original rumor from early 2021 said the window for this device was late 22 to early 23. So yes, 2022 was never a ridiculous expectation but once summer came and went without an announcement it was clear that it wouldn't be this year
But now, release window from end 2022 - early 2023 already change to early 2023 - holiday 2023

This just gives false hope to people and yourself. The odds of 16GB of RAM are low.
It's a speculation thread. In such threads, people speculate.

I presented a case. In that case, I expressed a quiet confidence. Quiet confidence doesn't equal "presented as gospel".

I've never hidden from the fact that I'm more optimistic.

The information leaked showed that, VS "the consensus", I was correct, but I knew well before that.

We're all adults here. The onus is on the individual to get a grip of one's own emotions, not tell others to keep their expectations in check.

Because we're all adults, it's alright to dare to expect again in the event of disappointment. If you've ever followed a sports team, you always hope for the best outcome. Even when they're in a bad run of form, you still hope that they'll turn it around. The way some are in this discourse, I can imagine your team talk playing out like this: "I know the visitors are gonna whoop you today. Don't you think about taking a shot on goal unless the ball on their goal line. You better woo-hah and keep your expectations in check!!"

Because we're all adults here, we also have a thing called "agency" - If my optimism is an affront, guess what? You don't have to read my post, or even respond to it. The Ignore Button is right there. By all means, disagree, but don't ever tell me I'm giving false hope, or that I should prepare to be disappointed. That makes zero sense in a speculation thread where people speculate.

When I entertained the 16GB, I did so for multiple valid reasons, and I did so from a clearly defined premise. I never asked anybody to agree with said premise, but it certainly isn't "false hope" if the possibilities exist, and accusing me of that in a speculation thread is wild as hell. When another user mentioned it was that much in the devkits, that's not "false hope" when the 2017 Switch had 4GB devkits and launched with 4GB. When I expressed that developers pushed for more across all platforms over the generations, AND that doing it played out well for those platforms, that's a reality of product development, not "false hope".

Last edited:

High volume manufacturing (HVM) of Samsung's 3GAP process node being delayed from End of Year (EoY) 2023 to EoY 2024 is definitely not confidence inducing.

Samsung has confirmed once again that high volume manufacturing (HVM) of Samsung's 3GAP process node is starting in 2024, presumably EoY (End-of-Year) 2024, not EoY 2023 as originally said.
Samsung will work on improving the performance and lowering the cost of the chips, as it aims to create its next-generation 3 nm chips in 2024, Kyung said.

It's a very, very different situation now. They're going heavy on the holiday season marketing for a number of very big games including a new Pokemon gen. To suck away all of that hype by saying "hey, an even better model will be coming in the Spring! Save your money!!" is the absolute antithesis of how Nintendo operates.

I'm extremely confident that we're not getting an announcement in 2022.

Not sure why that's doom and gloom exactly, I still think H1 2023 for launch is likely.
With respect, while the Osbourne Effect is a consideration, it shouldn't be considered written in stone.

For example, Nintendo has released Pokemon games on previous gen machines after the release of new hardware many times before GB, GBA, DS, and 3DS. A Drake Switch announcement in no way harms Pokemon Scarlet/Violet.

Rationale to announce later this year for a potential March/April/May release could/would be that manufacturing ramp up/software being targeted exclusively for Drake may eventually leak in greater detail prior to Thanksgiving or Christmas. As such Nintendo would likely want control messaging rather than deny over and over the existence of new hardware.

I dont think Nintendo has any issue moving Switch units this holiday even with a Drake announcement, perhaps sales encouraged by packing in MK8.

Last edited:
Nintendo increased the price of the OLED model from $349.99 to $359.99 with the OLED model: Pokémon Scarlet & Violet Edition.
The Nintendo Switch – OLED Model: Pokémon Scarlet & Violet Edition system will be available in stores and in the My Nintendo Store at a suggested retail price of $359.99.
Edit: Nintendo also did the same for the OLED model: Splatoon 3 Special Edition. Never mind then.

It's a very, very different situation now. They're going heavy on the holiday season marketing for a number of very big games including a new Pokemon gen. To suck away all of that hype by saying "hey, an even better model will be coming in the Spring! Save your money!!" is the absolute antithesis of how Nintendo operates.

I'm extremely confident that we're not getting an announcement in 2022.

Not sure why that's doom and gloom exactly, I still think H1 2023 for launch is likely.
They went heavy on the holiday season 2010 with Pokémon Black and White, despite the 3DS being announced. Having "big games" coming out just doesn't mean anything. Especially when this new device will also work with those games, so if anything there's more reasons to do it now than before.

Nintendo has been doing "hey, an even better model will be coming in the Spring! Save your money!!" for decades. It's part of their business model. Would they rather have 350 dollars now, or 450-500 later?

It's a speculation thread. In such threads, people speculate.

I presented a case. In that case, I expressed a quiet confidence. Quiet confidence doesn't equal "presented as gospel".

I've never hidden from the fact that I'm more optimistic.

The information leaked showed that, VS "the consensus", I was correct, but I knew well before that.

We're all adults here. The onus is on the individual to get a grip of one's own emotions, not tell others to keep their expectations in check.

Some of us view it as a responsibility to help the less technically minded from getting out of whack with their expectations. Lots of folks who don't understand the tech pop in here, and get the wrong impression and then get very upset - or, worse, make purchasing decisions based on those expectations.

But yes, be as optimistic as you want!

However, when you say things like "destined to fail" it doesn't sound like you're being optimistic about the device. It sounds like you're being pessimistic on the devices chances unless it has a certain configuration. Part of what will happen here is someone continues that conversation - it is not an attack on your optimism, it is a question of whether or analysis (which is clearly driven and considered) is correct.

Because we're all adults, it's alright to dare to expect again in the event of disappointment. If you've ever followed a sports team, you always hope for the best outcome. Even when they're in a bad run of form, you still hope that they'll turn it around. The way some are in this discourse, I can imagine your team talk playing out like this: "I know the visitors are gonna whoop you today. Don't you think about taking a shot on goal unless the ball on their goal line. You better woo-hah and keep your expectations in check!!"
We are Nintendo fans, obviously. But many of us don't think of Nintendo as our "team" and we're not cheering for them the same way you are. We're playing a different game, where we use our knowledge of technology to try and figure out what Nintendo is going to release, and what sorts of games that tech might make possible.

But if you're here to cheer for Nintendo - well, that's great! But I don't think you need to believe they will release the Best Hardware Ever to "win" - Nintendo has made a lot of money by figuring out how to use more limited hardware cleverly to create new experiences, and to make great games for that hardware no one else has.

Because we're all adults here, we also have a thing called "agency" - If my optimism is an affront, guess what? You don't have to read my post, or even respond to it. The Ignore Button is right there. By all means, disagree, but don't ever tell me I'm giving false hope, or that I should prepare to be disappointed. That makes zero sense in a speculation thread where people speculate.
"Speculation" is different from "imagining" ;) We want to keep our speculations based on reality, but some people do get aggressive about defending their version of what is realistic. We should be open to different perspectives, and avoid groupthink.

My own expectations have been consistently set higher over the course of this thread, not because of "optimism" or "pessimism" but because people have changed my mind by how they talk about things.

When I entertained the 16GB, I did so for multiple valid reasons, and I did so from a clearly defined premise.
It's clear reading your posts all at once what your premise is, but you don't always spell it out in the individual posts, and that means that it is easy to miss what your argument is - especially when you're not in the thread all the time posting. If you want people to understand your premise - especially if it's different from everyone else's notions - it would be helpful to spell it out at the beginning of your post, not in reference to a post that may be lost in the thread before.

I never asked anybody to agree with said premise, but it certainly isn't "false hope" if the possibilities exist, and accusing me of that in a speculation thread is wild as hell. When another user mentioned it was that much in the devkits, that's not "false hope" when the 2017 Switch had 4GB devkits and launched with 4GB. When I expressed that developers pushed for more across all platforms over the generations, AND that doing it played out well for those platforms, that's a reality of product development, not "false hope".
I agree, 16GB is not absolutely insane, but I do think it is unlikely. You are correct that the push for more RAM is real, and that it is often valuable, but so are clock speeds, or additional cores. There is a limit to what is possible, and a limit to what is profitable, and a limit to where it is worth more than it costs - in terms of money, in terms of difficulties acquiring parts, in terms of heat and power draw - and I think personally that if you look at the rest of the market 12GB is the sweet spot.

"False hope" isn't about whether or not the hope is real, but whether or not your enthusiasm for something will translate to despair if it doesn't come. Saying a device is "destined to fail" if it has 12GB of RAM is telling lurkers in this thread (of which there are more than there are posters, I expect) that if the New Switch has 12GB of memory it will be a failure which is, I think, extreme.

16GB is wonderful and technically possible but not easy - the modules exist, but there are some challenges with size, cost, and power draw.
12GB is excellent and technically easy - the modules exist, and are likely cost effecient
8GB is fine but technically hard because of what is on the market
6GB is not good but technically easy
4GB is real disaster with the RAM so far behind what the more advanced GPU needs that games wouldn't be severely hindered and the GPU would go unused, but hey it technically what's already there.

Well, “early 2023” and “H1 2023” has been used interchangeably. I would say they have different implications.
That's down to interpretation of course, yeah. I don't really think early and H1 are really contradictory in any way.

The fact we have two special edition switch OLED systems launching so close together and towards the end of this year reaffirms H1 2023 for me. Nintendo has a history of churning out special editions before launching new hardware.

It’s going to be 8GB.

The new iPhones coming out tomorrow have 6GB. 8GB is fine. Nintendo’s never going to chase specs in the same way other companies do, and that’s fine.
This made me curious how 2016 iPhones compared to Switch. Looks like in late 2016 it was iPhone 7 with 2GB or iPhone 7 Plus with 3 GB, so Switch was +100% from the lower model or +33% from the higher model. This time around it looks like the rumored specs for iPhone 14 are 6GB for all models, so a new Switch at either 8 or 12GB could match history.

It's not like you can have half a frame buffer.

I don't want to push the idea of it being 64bit, but if people want to use phones as a comparison, rather than say, Steam Deck, they should realise phones are still on 64 bit bus like they were when Switch came out. I think as a hybrid system 128bit makes sense, it could probably get by at 50% speed in portable mode if they needed it to.

Of course me saying this on the eve of an Apple announcement is probably going to be a bad idea.
Steam Deck is a very interesting comparison as that device actually uses 4, 32-bit, 4 GB modules to come to the 128-bit, 88GB/s, 16GB of system ram configuration.

Steam Deck is a very interesting comparison as that device actually uses 4, 32-bit, 4 GB modules to come to the 128-bit, 88GB/s, 16GB of system ram configuration.
Was that a decision driven by what was available at the time of design, cost, power? I would assume two 8GB modules would have been better from a cost and power standpoint, but thats an assumption.

If the new Switch is not released by 11:59:59PM Eastern Standard Time on Friday, June 30th in the year of our Lord two thousand and twenty three, I will presume it never has existed and we've all been duped by an elaborate ruse.

But for realsies I just want the announcement before the end of the current fiscal year; I can wait whatever for the actual release.

Was that a decision driven by what was available at the time of design, cost, power? I would assume two 8GB modules would have been better from a cost and power standpoint, but thats an assumption.
probably some combination of everything. being space limited, you'd want fewer chips, but the SD had space for 4 chips. more chips also run at lower power and are probably cheaper than fewer higher density chips.

Nintendo is more space limited, however, since they want a smaller package. cost isn't something nintendo would think is a problem as they used more expensive ram before in the past. as for power, these probably won't be running at full speed

This thread's ability to bog itself down in absurd, tedious little arguments is absolutely incredible.

Debates over 8-12-16 GB of RAM is one thing, but imagine if people were arguing over the RAM using only vague terms like "a lot", "a little", "enough", "not enough". Wouldn't that be a fun and useful thing.

Isn’t usually Jan-March for Early 2023 and Jan-June for H1 2023?
Yes. H1 is the first half of the year and H2 is the second half.

I’ll just say if we don’t hear anything(including just stuff from insiders in general) before the end of the year you can cross off the early 2023 dream.

Last edited:
Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom