• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

As someone who reads and engages in this thread daily I can tell you confidently that there is barely anyone here who expects this to happen. Possibly no one.

But I'll leave it at that.
Funny how we went from "there's no one, you're inventing" to "well... barely anyone".

But sure, none of the previous posts wishfully thinking "<switch title> in 4k" or "<switch title> 60fps" on new hardware don't count, I get it.

Funny how we went from "there's no one, you're inventing" to "well... barely anyone".

But sure, none of the previous posts wishfully thinking "<switch title> in 4k" or "<switch title> 60fps" on new hardware don't count, I get it.
Just to clarify, I'm specifically talking about existing Switch games being in 4k WITHOUT being patched, as that is what you said. Plenty of people are expecting patches for games at which point 4k/60fps is of course on the table.

And my original response to you said almost nobody, not "there's no one".

Whats your point with your last messages? It seems you are only trying to bother people by mixing things up starting with the nosense RAM talk

To be quite honest here, if nintendo actually cared about improving the switch's operating system, a new model switch could easily be delayed further into ~2024 and here's why:
Except I never said that though? my implication was that they could get away with it, not that they would need to do it in order to have enough time to ship the new hardware.
I think that is a very strange reading of your above sentence, and if that is what you meant, hopefully you understand why that isn't what people heard.

I'm not going to waste my time screencapping every post itt where someone thinks and/or wishes that unpatched games ran at a higher resolution on the upcoming hardware.
But surely, it was more than once, and coming from different users.
In general, if you're trying to say something to a specific user, you could reply to them, so they see your comment, and it's clear what you are referring to.

This thread has a robust, existing community of technically minded folk, and also a lot of drive by posters who ask the same things over and over again. Said drive-by posters are not going to see your lengthy message that leads with talk of a delay into 2024. If you want to contribute in that way, consider replying to users you think need this "check". When you post without context, it sounds like you're talking to the community here in general, not to the various posters who come for one question and leave.

If ninty wanted, they could easily hire someone to work on a Switch system update to do the same. I really fail to see why wouldn't that work, really.
Unless... the FSR shader is too intensive on the current switch iGPU.
It would work. It is debatable how desirable it might be.

FSR 1.0 requires the underlying image be anti-aliased, for example, the vast majority of Switch games don't use anti-aliasing. This isn't a problem on SteamDeck, both because it's not a console, it's a mini PC, and PC gamers expect to be tweaking settings up to and including driver settings, and because most PC games of the modern era are anti-aliased.

FSR would need to be used only on games that we're deploying a spatial or temporal upscaler already to prevent extremely muddy images

But hey, this but a post to keep yall in check: newer titles on the switch "pro" will have more stable framerate and some third parties that use dynamic resolution scale might even keep pushing the resolution to the upper limit that was available on the old model but that's about it.
if you had read this thread's extensive discussion of the BC issue, you'd know community members have stated this many many times. You might also know that the Switch uses explicit performance profiles where games request exact clock speeds and that some games need patches to run at faster clocks stably. In which case, older games may (I repeat may) require patches to even acheive more stable framerates.

We've discussed Nintendos options here in great depth

Unless a patch comes up or you mod the game, lighting won't change, the max. dynamic resolution target won't change, nor texture quality, etc...
This thread consists of game developers, silicon designers, and software engineers - I assume you are similar. We know. If you think someone needs correcting, reply to them directly, preferably without antagonizing them

Sense we're talking about FSR, can I just say how impressive Monolith's upscaler for Xenoblade 3 looks? Way better than whatever they were doing in 2.

Yes, while the artifacting is noticeable, I think the solution is very good. Makes a night and day difference on my 4K set and the tablet display compared to Xenoblade DE.

Ultimately I don't think all of these upscaling and resolution techniques that Nintendo uses - including as far back as Mario Odyssey which was straight up interlaced in handheld mode - tells us anything about their intentions for Drake. It just means they're leveraging as much as they can out of the current hardware, which most folks here think will continue to be supported 2024+ even when Switch Ultra is out and about. After all, they still have a huge userbase to cater to and they shouldn't abandon optimization because their hot new DLSS hardware is out.

Maybe someone just said something like "I can't wait for Drake to play Botw in 4K60fps" and this person assumes the person who said something like that thinks you will just plug a Switch game in the next Switch and boom your Switch game is in 4K60fps.

I think the far majority of this thread has some basic gaming tech knowledge and in a situation someone writes something akin to the above, it would be generally assumed and understood to be after patches (like obviously). Apart if you read sentences as is without context and thinking you know better than everyone else...

Whats your point with your last messages? It seems you are only trying to bother people by mixing things up starting with the nosense RAM talk
Nonsense? so 12GB instead of 8 makes more sense for a company that has a track record of shipping lower end hardware for years now (specially on their handhelds) and has been living just fine with a sub 4GB system? (consider OS usage and the iGPU shared memory).

Next thing you know, you're gonna rationalize how it makes "sense" to use some random ass source's leak on a web forum.

Maybe someone just said something like "I can't wait for Drake to play Botw in 4K60fps" and this person assumes the person who said something like that thinks you will just plug a Switch game in the next Switch and boom your Switch game is in 4K60fps.

I think the far majority of this thread has some basic gaming tech knowledge and in a situation someone writes something akin to the above, it would be generally assumed and understood to be after patches (like obviously). Apart if you read sentences as is without context and thinking you know better than everyone else...
Not what I meant but ok. There are some posts here that go beyond wishful thinking and show that the user is unsure whether the feat is actually possible (without patching).

My mistake was thinking that those users were as active as the ones who are indeed aware that it's not possible.

Nonsense? so 12GB instead of 8 makes more sense for a company that has a track record of shipping lower end hardware for years now (specially on their handhelds) and has been living just fine with a sub 4GB system? (consider OS usage and the iGPU shared memory).

Next thing you know, you're gonna rationalize how it makes "sense" to use some random ass source's leak on a web forum.

This tone feels unnecessarily harsh, there's plenty of reasons why 12GB would make sense that have been explained several times.

4 gb wasn't bad for mobile tech in 2017.

Did you bet with someone that this thing is going to have 8GB of RAM? Because honestly who cares, it's not like you have any inside knowledge anyway.

4 gb wasn't bad for mobile tech in 2017.

Yeah, the note 7, Samsung’s balls to the wall flagship, had 4gb of ram and came out 7 months before the switch. The rough equivalent, the S22 ultra, has up to 12gb of ram and would likely have been out for more than a year when drake releases.

The Switch could have been a bit more powerful when it launched, but it wasn’t as underpowered as people seem to think.

Last edited:
Is FSR even used in games? It's there in the graphical API but so far no technical analysis has proven the use of FSR in first party games.

So theories around FSR are really boring.
so far, not as we can tell. Nintendo might have incorporated FSR into their tools, but just haven't used them

Except I never said that though? my implication was that they could get away with it, not that they would need to do it in order to have enough time to ship the new hardware.
I mean, the opening to your post posits that Nintendo could delay Drake to 2024 to add FSR. adding that to the OS doesn't require delaying the system.

To be quite honest here, if nintendo actually cared about improving the switch's operating system, a new model switch could easily be delayed further into ~2024 and here's why:

it's not like you have any inside knowledge anyway.
Brb, gonna make an alt on this forum and "leak" the new colours and naming scheme for the upcoming hardware.
Did you bet with someone that this thing is going to have 8GB of RAM?
What difference would that make if it were the case? would my opinion that 8GB makes more sense and wishful thinking to win a bet materialize an 8GB switch pro into being?

Your tone in this thread is needlessly condescending and antagonistic. Please dial it back a bit. -Aurc, hologram, paranoodle
I mean, the opening to your post posits that Nintendo could delay Drake to 2024 to add FSR. adding that to the OS doesn't require delaying the system.
That's on you guys for correlating the first half of the sentence with the second half as a straight IF-THEN logic (which was never explicitly stated).

Last edited:

Nintendo doesn't skimp on RAM. The last machine they released that was intended to compete on perf was the GameCube. Every system since has matched their competitors previous generation specs - except in RAM where they have gone above and beyond, often in the 1.5x range. 12 GB exactly matches that trend.

If Drake uses a JIT solution to help achieve backwards compat on Ampere, then even existing Switch games will need 1.5-2x RAM of the original Switch simple to run. 8GB is certainly the minimum in that case.

Nintendo shipped a 4GB mobile system in 2017 at the same time that Apple launched a 2GB mobile device. Apple has a 6 GB device out from last year. Nintendo has designed the Switch to take advantage of the massive mobile ecosystem driving down costs and making off the shell components available, and 6GB LPDDR5 modules are certainly readily available.

12GB doesn't "makes more sense" than 8GB at all, but being dismissive of 12GB because of Nintendo's "track record" is factually inaccurate.

That's on you guys for correlating the first half of the sentence with the second half as a straight IF-THEN logic (which was never explicitly implied).
That's on you for using phrases like "explicitly implied" which make zero sense in the english language.

You're being a dick, and you're not contributing to the conversation. Stop, please.

That's on you for using phrases like "explicitly implied" which make zero sense in the english language.
Changed the last word around to reflect what I actually meant since you care so much.
Nintendo doesn't skimp on RAM. The last machine they released that was intended to compete on perf was the GameCube. Every system since has matched their competitors previous generation specs - except in RAM where they have gone above and beyond, often in the 1.5x range. 12 GB exactly matches that trend.

If Drake uses a JIT solution to help achieve backwards compat on Ampere, then even existing Switch games will need 1.5-2x RAM of the original Switch simple to run. 8GB is certainly the minimum in that case.

Nintendo shipped a 4GB mobile system in 2017 at the same time that Apple launched a 2GB mobile device. Apple has a 6 GB device out from last year. Nintendo has designed the Switch to take advantage of the massive mobile ecosystem driving down costs and making off the shell components available, and 6GB LPDDR5 modules are certainly readily available.

12GB doesn't "makes more sense" than 8GB at all, but being dismissive of 12GB because of Nintendo's "track record" is factually inaccurate.
First off, past is not always a direct indicative of future hardware releases. Also, you (as well as other poster here who said 4GB for the time was good) completely ignore how in 2017, over 100 phones matched the switch in terms of RAM alone and a good 40 were already hitting above.

And before you move the goalpost saying "but the iGPU in those phones was not really comparable to the switch's" or "those phones were way more expensive", look up how top spec phones of that era with snapdragon SoCs perform even today in intensive mobile titles like genshin impact, and how prices have dropped for google and samsung phones not too late after release (yes, even the top spec ones).
For reference, an SoC featured in a phone released in 2017 (the pixel 2):

Changed the last word around to reflect what I actually meant since you care so much.

First off, past is not always a direct indicative of future hardware releases. Also, you (as well as other poster here who said 4GB for the time was good) completely ignore how in 2017, over 100 phones matched the switch in terms of RAM alone and a good 40 were already hitting above.

And before you move the goalpost saying "but the iGPU in those phones was not really comparable to the switch's" or "those phones were way more expensive", look up how top spec phones of that era with snapdragon SoCs perform even today in intensive mobile titles like genshin impact, and how prices have dropped for google and samsung phones not too late after release (yes, even the top spec ones).
For reference, an SoC featured in a phone released in 2017 (the pixel 2):

You’re comparing products that came out at the same time to 7 months after the Switch to make a point about products that are currently out a year+ before drake.

Upon moderator evaluation of recent posts, relevant feedback has been applied. Let's please aim to avoid escalating matters further, everyone.

past is not always a direct indicative of future hardware releases
You answered your own question. You can‘t necessarily predict ram from past hardware. There isn’t an ideology stopping Nintendo from putting 12GB ram in a handheld. Real reason for past consoles being 'weak' would be price over efficiency and reiterating the same architecture. The current Switch dosen‘t really fit in the 'Nintendo makes weak/outdated hardware' with its modern chip architecture and its power compared to other mobile devices at the time (Especially when you consider the price range).

You’re comparing products that came out at the same time to 7 months after the Switch
Yes. Products that mind you, if you looked well enough, you'd find well spec'd ones that matched or were above (display, memory and storage-wise) the switch for nearly the same price or at worst, ~50-100 Euros more expensive.
The only caveat being that the ones with decently spec'd iGPUs were flagship models (that got major price cuts nearing switch price territory not much later anyways).
To make a point about products that are currently out a year+ before drake.
Wrong. I was adressing the whole "switch was impressive hardware-wise for it's time" argument.

Possibly, the only thing this has to do with our focus of discussion is how it somewhat proves nintendo isn't really likely to drop the ball with hardware in 2023 because well, they haven't done that in decades.

Yes. Products that mind you, if you looked well enough, you'd find well spec'd ones that matched or were above (display, memory and storage-wise) the switch for nearly the same price or at worst, ~50-100 Euros more expensive.
The only caveat being that the ones with decently spec'd iGPUs were flagship models (that got major price cuts nearing switch price territory not much later anyways).

Wrong. I was adressing the whole "switch was impressive hardware-wise for it's time" argument.

Possibly, the only thing this has to do with our focus of discussion is how it somewhat proves nintendo isn't really likely to drop the ball with hardware in 2023 because well, they haven't done that in decades.
I pretty clearly remember a lot of chatter from industry folks after the announcement wondering how Nintendo had managed to include all the hardware in the Switch at that price point without losing money.

Either way, a bit silly to compare the Switch to cell phones that didn't include, you know, controllers. Much less two of them, and all the extra components that entails. Or the Dock. Or the cables. And the impact that makes on packaging. And shipping.

Considering you've ignored recent feedback asking you to dial back this condescending rhetoric, you are being issued a one week thread ban, to cool off. - Aurc, hologram, Donnie
You answered your own question. You can‘t necessarily predict ram from past hardware. There isn’t an ideology stopping Nintendo from putting 12GB ram in a handheld. Real reason for past consoles being 'weak' would be price over efficiency and reiterating the same architecture. The current Switch dosen‘t really fit in the 'Nintendo makes weak/outdated hardware' with its modern chip architecture and its power compared to other mobile devices at the time (Especially when you consider the price range).
You fail to understand how I'm guessing down, not up. And keeping expectations low when it comes to nintendo hardware has been a consistently accurate strategy since the wii u era.
Or what? you're gonna tell me that the reasonable people back in 2015-2016 expected the "Nintendo NX" to ship with 8GB of RAM?

Either way, a bit silly to compare the Switch to cell phones that didn't include, you know, controllers. Much less two of them, and all the extra components that entails. Or the Dock. Or the cables. And the impact that makes on packaging. And shipping.
Controllers are dirt cheap, so is packaging.
Same thing for the dock.
I could be impressed the same way about how nowadays you can get a snapdragon 888 smartphone for 350$ and still get a charger and packaging instead of getting it sent to you with a single layer of plastic wrap. But I'm not.

Your point is about 12gb not being likely due to history, you refuted 12gb by saying the best phones in 2017 had 6 gb of ram, making the switch less impressive compared to competitors, but we aren’t in 2023, when the drake is assumed to come out, and the best phones now have 12gb of ram, just like the best phones in 2016 had 4gb of ram.

I think when people say that the Switch was impressive at the time, they mean it used the Tegra X1, which was nearly the best chip Nintendo could have gotten from Nvidia given their launch time table. They might have been able to get the tegra X2 if they waited a bit longer or paid more, or whatever, but that is another huge conversation that could be had.

Last edited:
Controllers are dirt cheap, so is packaging.
Same thing for the dock.
I could be impressed the same way about how nowadays you can get a snapdragon 888 smartphone for 350$ and still get a charger and packaging instead of getting it sent to you with a single layer of plastic wrap. But I'm not.

Estimated cost of manufacturing for the console, controllers and dock was $257 at launch, of which $90 was the BOM and manufacture for the two JoyCon.

But please, go on.

As someone who reads and engages in this thread daily I can tell you confidently that there is barely anyone here who expects this to happen. Possibly no one.

But I'll leave it at that.
Even if there was, it's because it's a speculation thread after all.

Wishful thinking comes with the territory.

in this economy I intend to wait for it to be in my hands

raccoon-food.gif

I think he meant in real world videogame performance.
Well sure, but even then Steam Deck is hardware meant to play PC games running as best it can whereas Switch or Drake plays games built for its hardware. Even just going on the idea that Drake is a bog-standard A78 based system with faster memory bandwidth, I'd like to think it'd have an easier time running games just on that alone but don't really expect titles it has in common with PC to have adjustable settings and whatnot, so comparing the two is best left for those videos that evaluate framecount and picture quality.

Plus really no metric for comparing Nintendo exclusives to the PC -- within the confines of the law ;)

And keeping expectations low when it comes to nintendo hardware has been a consistently accurate strategy since the wii u era.
"Since the Wii U era"? That's not a particularly large time period to guess from. The only new Nintendo console that released since then was the Switch, more powerful than both the Wii U and 3DS.

I don't remember much about 2017-era tech but when I bought the Switch on launch day, it felt like a pretty modern piece of tech. A $300 gaming tablet running Zelda and Skyrim that came with a TV out was pretty nifty. This is coming from someone who abhorred the clunky Wii U and the Wii's dismal 480p output.

(Honestly I was surprised to learn recently that my 2020 $350 Pixel 4A had only 6 GB of RAM lol)

Anyways I don't see a particularly good reason to really lowball Switch Ultra / II specs, considering the Switch's success. There's still speculation around process node, clocks, CPU but my expectations have always been a machine that can comfortably receive PS4/XBO ports and run them with better IQ, just like how the Switch gets PS3/360 ports at higher resolutions.
So, do you guys think the next Switch will be able to tango with the Steam Deck?
The short answer is yes.

Long answer: You can always crank up the settings on a Steam Deck at the cost of battery life and a warmer console. Switch Ultra / II will have native ports of games running with specific battery life and performance targets. Without FSR Elden Ring apparently runs for 93 minutes on Steam Deck, that number might be better now though. Honestly it's unfair for the Deck because it has to run Windows versions of games through the Proton compatibility layer with an Arch Linux OS as an overhead on an x86 processor. It's not really designed to be a hybrid. On average I think Switch Ultra will perform better.

FSR 1.0 requires the underlying image be anti-aliased, for example, the vast majority of Switch games don't use anti-aliasing.
I don't think that's so cut-and-dry. I recently learned about there being a commandline tool to FSR process images, so I was just throwing a few at hand to see what would happen. NSMB DS Mario's very aliased edges turned out pretty well.

So is the current plan ,to wait and see if the PS5 slim is real to validate one of our funcles correct?
Already is. While not a die shrink, a new SKU of PS5(and DE) that's 300g lighter is coming (or has already come) this year.

I wouldn't expect a proper die shrink, smaller case PS5 for another couple years, per Microsoft's comments about Slim models at the start of the generation and how it wouldn't help lower costs as unlike before, lower nodes' complexity cost is outpacing the savings of less silicon. We're sort of in a silicon plateau for now, too, and there are diminishing returns for producing less heat as your die size shrinks, because your ability to dissipate that heat, something PS5 already struggles with, gets worse with lower surface area.

I don't think that's so cut-and-dry. I recently learned about there being a commandline tool to FSR process images, so I was just throwing a few at hand to see what would happen. NSMB DS Mario's very aliased edges turned out pretty well.
fair enough, but FSR 1.0 is explicitly design around anti-aliases inputs. It detects the aliasing artifacts as detail to sharpen - you can see it especially onto text and clock on the upper right hand corner.

I have a mac and building my own test fsr app is probably beyond me for a hung over holiday Monday - but if someone wanted to load some uncompressed odyssey footage into mpv with the fsr upscaler pushing each frame to 1080p and then take a look at the result, that would be the real test.

We're sort of in a silicon plateau for now, too, and there are diminishing returns for producing less heat as your die size shrinks, because your ability to dissipate that heat, something PS5 already struggles with, gets worse with lower surface area.
Yeah, going from the Nintendo Switch to Nintendo's new hardware equipped with Drake is going to be at least one of the biggest performance improvements seen from Nintendo.

I only expect marginal performance improvements after Nintendo releases new hardware equipped with Drake, especially if Arm's performance roadmap from 2021 is any indication.

Peter_4.png

since FSR is already used on actual commercial software on the device without issues
A couple recent games have included FSR code, suggesting it's supported in an internal EPD library, but whether or not it's in use is a somewhat different question. With no one yet being able to positively identify FSR artifacts in either title, I'm leaning towards it not being used, because it should be fairly obvious if it was.

I don't remember much about 2017-era tech but when I bought the Switch on launch day, it felt like a pretty modern piece of tech. A $300 gaming tablet running Zelda and Skyrim that came with a TV out was pretty nifty. This is coming from someone who abhorred the clunky Wii U and the Wii's dismal 480p output.
(Honestly I was surprised to learn recently that my 2020 $350 Pixel 4A had only 6 GB of RAM lol)

Anyways I don't see a particularly good reason to really lowball Switch Ultra / II specs, considering the Switch's success. There's still speculation around process node, clocks, CPU but my expectations have always been a machine that can comfortably receive PS4/XBO ports and run them with better IQ, just like how the Switch gets PS3/360 ports at higher resolutions.

I think you're bang on there! As explored somewhat elsewhere in the thread, the Nintendo Switch at launch really WASN'T underpowered or behind the curve, technology wise. USB C was so new that myself, someone who likes tech so much I went to college to study it, didn't have any USB C device other than my Nintendo Switch for months. The processor was, and continues to be, Nvidia's latest mobile gaming Tegra chip, the same one Nvidia used, and continues to use, in their own line of high end set too boxes. 4GB of RAM was, as others have said "balls to the walls" for mobile technology at the time. The Tegra X1 is also capable of very modern rendering techniques, slightly more than Xbox One and PS4, that while it's much less capable at crunching numbers, it's still an impressive piece of kit that can, objectively speaking, run PS4 level games portably. Imagine if a handheld came out in 1999 with the capabilities of an N64, just with a lower resolution output. People would have lost their minds.

That's basically what we got in 2017. As you said, BOTW and Skyrim on a handheld, people lost their minds, and rightfully so.

Edit: just want to make an addendum here to clarify, this is one of the reasons (other than the leaks) that I expect the Drake to well and truly kick some ass from a technical perspective. A 1-3TF system with DLSS? That's a handheld? Absolutely crazy stuff, but from the leaks we know it to be true.

The main advantage the Switch 2 will have over the SD is: Lower level access to the resources and tailor-made code. Normally, the first one is overrated in discussions but the Steam Deck is using a translation layers for an API, which has an impact on performance, and relative heavy general purpose OS. The impact is not huge but it is there.

As for the second, this is often misunderstood as punching above its weight, but those kind of code optimizations are rare these days. Games are too complex and engines are very optimized already. However, optimizations like the one present in Ori (reducing the number of layers or replacing 3d objects with sprites) were commonly made on Switch "miracles" ports while SD will be stuck with the PC version.
Switch's successor has a host of advantages over the Steam Deck, although I still find the comparisons inappropriate.

The leaked GPU means that it could eclipse it at 550MHz in portable mode alone - That's a very real possibility on a much better lithography process.
It has a docked mode, meaning that it will be capable of even more.
It has DLSS, which can take strains off the GPU and leave more room for manoeuvre.
It has development tools specific to it, meaning better optimisation
It will be easier on the hands, so, the portability element will be more appealing.
It will have better battery life.
It will play physical retail games as well as digital copies - That matters.

I feel like pushing to 2024 would require holding back Zelda even further. putting it out on a dying system would be a bad idea
I don't believe that LOZ: Breath Of The Wild's sequel is tied to a new platform launch.

So, do you guys think the next Switch will be able to tango with the Steam Deck?

Please read the OP and also get familiar with the leaks. You clearly haven't done that with the "Because Nintendo" post earlier in this thread, and the leaks show that we're talking about something much more powerful than the Steam Deck. Truthfully, we should've moved on from the Steam Deck, but your comment on downclocking the hell out of the successor is the only way it will be worse, and that isn't going to happen. One doesn't need a rumour mill to know that.

@niconiconick64
I posit that for 8 GB of 128-bit LPDDR5 to be an option on the table for Drake, the modules necessary for that result must be in mass production (either 4 GB 64-bit or 2GB 32-bit). I request proof of such.

As far as I'm aware, for Micron at least, 6 GB 64-bit modules are in production, but 4 GB 64-bit are still in sampling. Intel does have validation results for 4 GB 64-bit, but that doesn't necessarily prove mass production. Any particular phone with 4 GB of 64-bit LPDDR5 (not LPDDR4X) ram would suffice as an example.
(an example of 6 GB 64-bit LPDDR5 in the wild would be the Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G)

---

Already is. While not a die shrink, a new SKU of PS5(and DE) that's 300g lighter is coming (or has already come) this year.

I wouldn't expect a proper die shrink, smaller case PS5 for another couple years, per Microsoft's comments about Slim models at the start of the generation and how it wouldn't help lower costs as unlike before, lower nodes' complexity cost is outpacing the savings of less silicon. We're sort of in a silicon plateau for now, too, and there are diminishing returns for producing less heat as your die size shrinks, because your ability to dissipate that heat, something PS5 already struggles with, gets worse with lower surface area.
Also, the recent news of TSMC's N3 being a failure more or less tacks on another year of the N5 family being the best, so that pushes back cost depreciation, I guess?

Yeah, going from the Nintendo Switch to Nintendo's new hardware equipped with Drake is going to be at least one of the biggest performance improvements seen from Nintendo.

I only expect marginal performance improvements after Nintendo releases new hardware equipped with Drake, especially if Arm's performance roadmap from 2021 is any indication.

Peter_4.png
The roadmap ended up overestimating things!
The A710 (Matterhorn/2021) ended up at +10% IPC (including an increase in the base amount of L3 cache), then the A715 (Makalu/2022) ended up at +5% IPC over the A710. So about +15.5% IPC or so over the A78.

So yea, the next major leap in raw grunt after Drake will take quite a while. We're gonna need Gate-All-Around/RibbonFET transistors to succeed, at least (TSMC's N3 issues are probably reflecting pushing past the limits of FinFET).

Last edited:
A couple recent games have included FSR code, suggesting it's supported in an internal EPD library, but whether or not it's in use is a somewhat different question. With no one yet being able to positively identify FSR artifacts in either title, I'm leaning towards it not being used, because it should be fairly obvious if it was.
First party, yes. I believe Raji: An Ancient Epic uses it after the last big update?

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom