• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

I don't know if BotW does this or not, but there's definitely precedent. A bunch of later 3DS titles actually run in a special mode that changes the memory layout to allocate a bit more RAM to the game when run on Old 3DS. Some of the heavier applets are locked out in this mode.
And the recently released updated for series S as well. But dropping the entire OS and gaining the entire gig back seems impossible

Can't find it now, but pretty sure BOTW Wii U used more than 1GB of RAM and the usual Wii U homescreen was disabled if you boot into the game.

And the recently released updated for series S as well. But dropping the entire OS and gaining the entire gig back seems impossible
It's definitely not everything, but I just went to test with my Wii U copy (still not sure why I bought that) and there's definitely some funkyness going on with suspending that game that's suggestive of RAM shenanigans. It takes forever to resume, with the disk access light on my SATA enclosure going for much of that time. There's also some minor disk access on the suspend side, but not enough to make me think it's using a swapfile.

Purely guessing based on how the game is behaving (could definitely be somewhat off-base), I think it might have an extra RAM allocation (most likely only used for stuff it can read from the ROM so it can be rebuilt non-destructively) that eats into the normal system/applet reservation. This RAM allocation appears to get released back to the OS when the game is suspended, allowing full multitasking capabilities at the cost of a lengthy loading pause when the game starts back up again as it refills the memory with all the stuff that was there before.

I'm hesitant to ask here but I imagine given all the focus on tech, I hope someone might offer some insight.

The OLED dock's ethernet port, what's the highest rated ethernet cable it can handle before it's just overkill? I'm assuming it wouldn't get all the benefit of a cat8 cable, but if I were to get a cat7 would it still reap the benefits of higher speed connected to my router, or should I stick with something lower end like a cat6 or cat5e?

I ask because my beloved and very adorable rabbit has somehow evaded most of my cable protections and chewed through the ethernet cable I had connected to my PS4. Somehow despite my launch Switch right next to my PS4 can get 34MB/s down and 17MB/s up, my PS4 on WiFi gets 2.3MB/s down and 64 KB/s up which is utterly atrocious for Netflix. I figure if I have to replace the cable, maybe I should go for some future proofing when I do get the Drake as I assume that if it's packaged with a dock, it likely will be the same as the one currently paired with the Switch OLED.

I'm hesitant to ask here but I imagine given all the focus on tech, I hope someone might offer some insight.

The OLED dock's ethernet port, what's the highest rated ethernet cable it can handle before it's just overkill? I'm assuming it wouldn't get all the benefit of a cat8 cable, but if I were to get a cat7 would it still reap the benefits of higher speed connected to my router, or should I stick with something lower end like a cat6 or cat5e?

I ask because my beloved and very adorable rabbit has somehow evaded most of my cable protections and chewed through the ethernet cable I had connected to my PS4. Somehow despite my launch Switch right next to my PS4 can get 34MB/s down and 17MB/s up, my PS4 on WiFi gets 2.3MB/s down and 64 KB/s up which is utterly atrocious for Netflix. I figure if I have to replace the cable, maybe I should go for some future proofing when I do get the Drake as I assume that if it's packaged with a dock, it likely will be the same as the one currently paired with the Switch OLED.
I don't recall what chip it's using off the top of my head, but Cat 5e will definitely be good enough for anything that you can use with the current Switch.

I think Drake will probably get its own dock, but chances of that exceeding gigabit are slim to none (for context, even Xbox Series X and PS5 are still only gigabit), so you'll probably be fine with Cat 5e regardless.

It’s a USB 2.0 port so the max speed is at most 480mbps, which cat5e exceeds at 1000Mbps. You will likely be fine even with a Cat5 cable which top out at 100mbps.

Oh yea, Cat5e will be plenty. I'm also assuming that your router's ports don't go beyond 1 gigabit in the first place, unless you've spent multiple hundreds of USD on that?

Edit: For that matter, just generally speaking, Cat5e and 6 are both plenty for consumer usage. And the sentiment I see about Cat7 tends to be that it's not for residential usage.

Last edited:

I recently bought a new a new dock that includes a gigabit Ethernet port and it has increased my downloads by 2x. I feel like the port is just as important as the cable that's connected. (Also anything over Cat6 is pretty much overkill)

September gonna be a good month for us Drake folks. I feel it in my bones. I am manifesting it.
tenor.gif

Since im in the market for a new Phone (coming in at 5 years, weak battery, broken screen, etc...definitely abused it more then the switch) i was looking at it... and im kinda confused. i think 2 years ago i was looking at it comparing whats possible for a switch, and the market looks a) more expensive, and b) as if it has less "bang for the buck" options. Or maybe im misremembering.

Yet still, for sub 400€ 128 6-8gb AMOLED 90-120Hz seems to become normal.
With what is to be expected SoC wise... i would say 8GB ram should be expected, and i honestly was thinking if there would be 2 SKUs, one with 128 and one with 256 gb... but i dont think so.
I expect 128GB 2.1 UFS and 8GB ram, 720p amoled (maybe 90 Hz...depending on if they want the developers to be able to push 90 fps). No cameras or fancy new sensors.
Micro SD Card. So... i see this as an almost pure pereformance upgrade as it stands, if we keep the price at 400€. Maybe 450€.

oh, and nintendo...please, please, hdmi 2.1
i dont expect it, i think it will be 2.0 and if you want 120 with nintendo consoles you will have to wait for another 5 years... Lets hope they at least aknowledge HDR...

Drawing my line in the sand: if we do not hear about the Switch 4k by the end of the rumored Direct, it is not happening this year. I already think it's reasonably locked out from a 2022 release given that Nintendo would end up releasing it with a shorter lead-up than less significant revisions if it's targeting November, but there is historical precedent with the New 3DS.

Yeah I don't see an announcement happening in September regardless of what year it launches. It had to be this or last week if it was coming this year and it's not either of those.

Not that it's anywhere near soon enough to be implemented in a Switch 3, let alone Switch 2, but could USB 4.0 possibly have shielding that would reduce that radio interference, or does the tech not work that way?
Theoretically, yes. But whether or not Nintendo's willing to pay extra for EMI/RFI shielding is unknown.

I suspect that surprise September announcement of a new device that looks the same that was spoken about is actually the thing that was announced this month instead 🤔

I think Thugstas is saying we’re gonna hear manufacturing rumours in September, not an announcement. Factory leaks, that sort of thing.

Yeah I don't see an announcement happening in September regardless of what year it launches. It had to be this or last week if it was coming this year and it's not either of those.
There is quite literally precedent (and relatively recent, at that) for Nintendo announcing hardware in September and October. It's not exactly unreasonable to think that could happen again.

There is quite literally precedent (and relatively recent, at that) for Nintendo announcing hardware in September and October. It's not exactly unreasonable to think that could happen again.
Hmm I must be blanking, which one was that? New 3DS was announced in August I thought, but maybe I'm a month off. What was in October?

Hmm I must be blanking, which one was that? New 3DS was announced in August I thought, but maybe I'm a month off. What was in October?
Ah, I remembered New 3DS as September, but it was actually the last few days of August.

October was the Switch itself.

Ah, I remembered New 3DS as September, but it was actually the last few days of August.

October was the Switch itself.
Ah well for the reasons that have been said many times in this thread I don't expect them to announce it this year if it's not releasing this year. Wii U was already dead, Switch is kinda the opposite of dead.

Ah well for the reasons that have been said many times in this thread I don't expect them to announce it this year if it's not releasing this year. Wii U was already dead, Switch is kinda the opposite of dead.
Wii U wasn't the only system Switch was replacing.

Not that it's anywhere near soon enough to be implemented in a Switch 3, let alone Switch 2, but could USB 4.0 possibly have shielding that would reduce that radio interference, or does the tech not work that way?
Dont we already have usb 4 hardware since 2021?
So technically, why would it be to far off for switch 2, not even speaking of switch 3?
Or am i mixing something up? (and also, it being based don thunderbolt 3 should kindad make the move to 4 less of an reinvention and more of an adaptation od prior designes?)

A January reveal for March/April release seems kinda shitty, right after millions bought the old model. I wonder if that's something they give any consideration to.

A January reveal for March/April release seems kinda shitty, right after millions bought the old model. I wonder if that's something they give any consideration to.
Thats kinda the downside to the old model, where it was known for a year that there will be a new one. Even MS/Sony have shown theyr cards earlier. If nintendo wants to anounce and release it in a 6 months timeframe, its either lose out on sales (and with how its going, the sales are not only in the holiday season high).... or piss of new customers after christmas.
essentially the only "okay" timeframe would be spring (april-june) für the holiday season 2023...
i dont belive in that.

Oh, and if its really the holiday season 2023 or later...then i really hope we dont have a price of 450+ for 128gb storage and stuff. I know, chip shortage and slowed down price reduction for specs because of that... but still...

Feels like they would be putting themselves in a position of having to deal with a bunch of returns, which would then aggravate retail partners. Particularly when return windows are typically extended with holiday purchases.

I'm more inclined to believe that if it's not being announced/mentioned until January then it's probably further out.

March reveal/May release for hardware is my guess, especially if it wants to launch as close as possible to if not the same day as BotW2

I'd say January reveal, March launch, mirroring original Switch launch. I think there will be a special edition Pokémon one, since they haven't announce one for SV already.

Dont we already have usb 4 hardware since 2021?
So technically, why would it be to far off for switch 2, not even speaking of switch 3?
Or am i mixing something up? (and also, it being based don thunderbolt 3 should kindad make the move to 4 less of an reinvention and more of an adaptation od prior designes?)
No. The OLED model uses the same PI3USB30532 chip as the Nintendo Switch, which is a USB 3.2 Gen 1*/DisplayPort 1.2 crossbar switch chip. So Nintendo has been using USB 3.2 Gen 1* since 3 March 2017.

Outside of Apple's computers running on the Apple M1 SoC, USB4 has only recently started to become adopted with the Ryzen 6000 laptop CPUs.

My guess is the confusion comes from the fact that USB 3.2 Gen 1* can use a USB Type-C connector like USB4. But where USB4 can only use a USB Type-C connector, USB 3.2 Gen 1* can also use a USB Type-A connector.

* or USB 3.1 Gen 1 or USB 3.0

At first it kinda was, both in terms of marketing and games. And also audience, kinda.

But 3DS wasn't exactly lighting the charts on fire in late 2016 either.
Drake isn't exactly going to be fully replacing the Switch day one, either, and the audience buying a console in year 6 is probably only going to have a minor overlap with the early adopter audience.

I think November and December are off limits, because they're not really great months for announcements, but anything else seems like fair game.

No. The OLED model uses the same PI3USB30532 chip as the Nintendo Switch, which is a USB 3.2 Gen 1*/DisplayPort 1.2 crossbar switch chip. So Nintendo has been using USB 3.2 Gen 1* since 3 March 2017.

Outside of Apple's computers running on the Apple M1 SoC, USB4 has only recently started to become adopted with the Ryzen 6000 laptop CPUs.

My guess is the confusion comes from the fact that USB 3.2 Gen 1* can use a USB Type-C connector like USB4. But where USB4 can only use a USB Type-C connector, USB 3.2 Gen 1* can also use a USB Type-A connector.

* or USB 3.1 Gen 1 or USB 3.0
Oh i know that, but i dont see where that would prevent nintendo from using it in Switch 3 (if there is one) especially, but also why it would not be possible in Drake.
(Asuming that the dock is a different one then the one thats sold with the OLED)

Heck, as far as im aware the OLEd dock has HDMI 2.0, i kinda hope for 2.1 witch Drake... im aware that there is a chance that it will just reuse the OLED dock.

Im not shure why you mention the stuff with the connector. any new hardware should base itself on usb-c as a connector, irrelevant if its usb 4 or 3, because honestly, usb A and micro usb is obsolete. Its only still around for backwards compatibility, but most modern pcs/laptops have usb c.

There could be the problem that Drake has no native usb4 support (dont know it if has or not), and that we would need an additional controller chip on the motherboard. But i dont see it as an imposibility, or are there no standalone usb4 controllers on the market currently? (which is a posibility, did not look it up)

I'll only give up hope for a 2022 release after 29th August. After that, I doubt there'll be anything official apart from possible rumours or an announcement,

I've often waved the "2022 is possible" banner, mostly because I thought the late 2023+ crowd were baseless.

But I think it would be a very strange marketing plan for Nintendo at this point, and while I won't hold it against anyone for holding out the possibility, I think it's miniscule.

Oh i know that, but i dont see where that would prevent nintendo from using it in Switch 3 (if there is one) especially, but also why it would not be possible in Drake.
(Asuming that the dock is a different one then the one thats sold with the OLED)
There could be the problem that Drake has no native usb4 support (dont know it if has or not), and that we would need an additional controller chip on the motherboard. But i dont see it as an imposibility, or are there no standalone usb4 controllers on the market currently? (which is a posibility, did not look it up)
Orin supports up to USB 3.2 Gen 2. And going by how Apple and AMD seem to have implemented USB4 support, USB4 support seemingly needs to be implemented on a chip level. And considering that I don't expect Drake to deviate significantly from Orin, USB4 support for Drake seems very unlikely.

So the following information is from the slides uploaded by ServeTheHome.
  • Orin's fabricated using Samsung's 8 nm** process node
  • Orin's Ampere based GPU supports 5.3 FP32 CUDA TFLOPs or 10.6 FP16 CUDA TFLOPs
  • Orin supports up to 275 INT8 DL TOPs (170 TOPs for the GPU and 105 TOPs for the DLAs) or 85 FP16 DL TOPs (for the GPU)
  • Nvidia shared SPEC CPU2006 score estimates for Orin's 12 Cortex-A78AE CPU cores
    • Speed integer single core score of 31.8
    • Rate integer multi core score of 269.5
    • Speed floating-point single core score of 41.6
    • Rate floating-point multi core score of 332.0
  • Nvidia shared SPEC CPU2017 score estimates for Orin's 12 Cortex-A78AE CPU cores
    • Rate integer single core score of 4.04
    • Rate integer multi core score of 39.36
  • Nvidia shared Geekbench 5 scores for Orin's 12 Cortex-A78AE CPU cores
    • Single core score of 754
    • Multi core score of 7773
  • (Note: The Cortex-A78AE cores are running at a frequency of 2.2 GHz and the LPDDR5 modules are running at a frequency of 3200 MHz for all tests.)
  • Nvidia mentions Orin's Ampere based GPU having enhanced Tensor cores
  • Orin's Ampere based GPU supports multi-instance GPU (MIG) and sparsity
    • Multi-instance GPU (MIG): the GPU can be split into two separate GPUs for compute
    • Sparsity: fine grained structured sparsity doubles throughput and reduces memory usage
  • Orin supports PCIe Gen 4 x4 for up to 4x Orin SoCs
  • Jetson Orin supports up to 275 INT8 TOPs (from the Ampere based GPU and DLAs)
  • Jetson Orin has a TDP range of 10 - 60 W
  • Drive Orin supports up to 254 INT8 TOPs (from the Ampere based GPU and DLAs)
  • Drive Orin has a TDP range of 50-60 W when air cooled, and a TDP of 100 W when liquid cooled
** → a marketing nomenclature used by all foundry companies, including Samsung

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom