• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

I think Mario Kart 10 announcement would break the internet. They also have an MK attraction at Universal being built too?

Good lord it's gonna be insane if that launches on the Switch 239. I feel like this internal delay is gonna payoff.

Side Note: Imagine if they built a Pokemon theme park as well. I feel like it is inevitable...

Elden Ring has got to be the Skyrim of Switch 2
Yup, I am expecting a GOTY/Definitive Edition to drop on Switch 2 with the Erdtree expansion and all.

Same with BG3.

Last edited:
Feels like it’s been ten days since we’ve seen any reliable leaks.
But it's still better than the information drought we had in March,lol

I think Mario Kart 10 announcement would break the internet. They also have an MK attraction at Universal being built too?

Good lord it's gonna be insane if that launches on the Switch 239. I feel like this internal delay is gonna payoff.

Side Note: Imagine if they built a Pokemon theme park as well. I feel like it is inevitable...

Yup, I am expecting a GOTY/Definitive Edition to drop on Switch 2 with the Erdtree expansion and all.

Same with BG3.
I'm not familiar with the leaked specs. Can the Switch 2 run BG3 with them?

Yeah, the cost savings won't be as significant as in the past.

And in the past, I was talking about transitioning from TSMC's 4N process node to TSMC's N3E process node, which does require effectively a re-design since TSMC's N3E process node is not IP compatible with TSMC's 4N process node, which I imagine is a nontrivial percentage of the total costs.

Of course, that was before TSMC announced TSMC's N4C process node, which TSMC advertises up to a 8.5% die shrink, which I assume is for a chip designed with 50% logic, 30% SRAM, and 20% analog, and should be IP compatible with TSMC's 4N process node.

So although I still don't expect a significant die shrink and significant cost savings, especially if T239 is designed closer to 70% SRAM and 30% logic, and significant power efficiency improvements, at least the costs of re-designing should be eliminated with TSMC's N4C process node.

Upgrading the RAM controller requires another tape out of the SoC anyway. So considering JEDEC is touting a power efficiency mode for LPDDR6, I imagine Nintendo could have the RAM frequency be exactly the same (3750 MHz or 7500 MT/s) as Nintendo upgrades the RAM controller from a LPDDR5X controller to a LPDDR6 controller to achieve at the very least some power efficiency improvements.

About the issue of cache not shrinking with new nodes - I've heard that's part of the benefit of 3D V-Cache. The cache chips can be manufactured on older, cheaper nodes with no difference in size, which is part of why you can get 96-128MB of it - that, and that fact that they can be manufactured separately rather than trying to make a massive chip.

Probably yes, with some optimizing here and there. Particularly Act 3.
On Mac you need a minimum of 10GB of RAM to run this game on M1.

The A78C is much slower CPU than M1, maybe it can with reduced NPCs. This game is very CPU heavy. RAM is enough as Switch 2 got 12GB.
Docked mode should be much better experience

Some people are saying that the memory on the new iPad is indeed LPDDR5, not LPDDR5X.But LPDDR5 can’t reach a frequency of 7500, right?

Isn't Switch 2 lacking in the CPU area significantly??

Pulling up this old post by @Z0m3le because a lot of his predictions have aged well. The RAM and Storage have been pretty spot on. According to him, the CPU within the ballpark of the Steam Deck and much better than the last-gen CPU's (PS4/PS4 Pro).

All and all, not PS5/XBX crazy, but nothing to sneer it.

Honestly, nothing about the Switch 2 seems to be lacking significantly at all. No, the launch SKU (because I definitely think we'll see the same strategy as the Switch with a Lite model and a more premium OLED model with 512gigs of storage) doesn't have 16gigs of RAM like some people hoped for, but there's nothing that's been more-or-less confirmed that feels like Nintendo significantly cheapened out. Which incidentally is why I'm on the TSMC 4N train. The only "cheap" part is the LCD screen and not the actual guts of the console.

256gigs of storage, file decompression like a PS5 and SSD-like speeds for massively faster load times, 12gigs of ram, a CPU that's much better than the 8th gen, all of Nvidia's wizardry....Nothing is particularly bleeding edge, but nothing is dirt cheap either. It's why a souped-up PS4 Pro/Steam Deck with DLSS (in handheld mode) and Xbox Series S (in docked mode) is a solid ballpark estimate on where the performance is going to be. The Switch 2 hits a lot of "middle of the road" sweet-spots where the performance is definitely on par with other 9th gen consoles while still being affordable.

I think we're so dang used to being cheapened out in some way "Because Nintendo" that it's genuinely confusing that there's no catch. There's no wool pulled over the eyes this time around. It's why some people like the folks at DF are still on the 8nm train -- which could still happen. Nothing is confirmed until it's confirmed, but the Switch 2 is looking to be a very competent and powerful handheld console that, knock on wood, doesn't have any big glaring weaknesses and that confuses the heck out of people haha.

Last edited:
I do not believe that Hoyoverse F2P such as Genshin will be released on Switch 2.
They probably have an console exclusive deal with Sony and these games are not even released on the Xbox.
Doubt it. Nintendo announced a Switch version of Genshin around the same time as the PS4, and for a while developer discussions beat around the bush about it before going radio silent. We later found out the Switch's CPU was simply far too weak to run the game. Even the PS4 struggles to maintain a playable framerate.

About the issue of cache not shrinking with new nodes - I've heard that's part of the benefit of 3D V-Cache. The cache chips can be manufactured on older, cheaper nodes with no difference in size, which is part of why you can get 96-128MB of it - that, and that fact that they can be manufactured separately rather than trying to make a massive chip.
There are downsides to this tech. Latency is higher because unlike L0, L1 and L2 cache it is situated far away; power consumption is higher due to interconnects between the two chips. There is also a thermal limit - AMD currently imposes a 90 degree limit on their CPUs; Intel would shit their pants with that kind of limitation, for example. Not that every chip would need to run at 90 degrees, T239 for example doesn't. But it's also a very expensive process to stack dies like that at this point in time, so it isn't viable for cheaper skus.

All in all V-cache is not the solution, for now.

Isn't Switch 2 lacking in the CPU area significantly??
It'll be behind the Series S by a fair margin. But it depends more on what the clocks end up being. If it sits around 1.8-2.0 GHz then that should give about half the Series S CPU performance which should be more than adequate to get ports. If it ends up being closer to 1-1.2 GHz then it'll be better than last gen still but with a sizeable performance gap compared to Series S.

I would imagine that anything 1.5 GHz and up should be sufficient though.

Cortex-A78 Efficiency Comparison Table by Process // Samsung Foundry😭
R1280x0

R1280x0

How does it compare to PS5?

R1280x0

From the research I did, the performance oriented 4LPX node is actually a bit of a misnomer. It's the 5LPE which is a 5nm node and alot like the TSMC N4. The 5LPE would be a good node to go for if they end up working with Samsung

There are downsides to this tech. Latency is higher because unlike L0, L1 and L2 cache it is situated far away; power consumption is higher due to interconnects between the two chips. There is also a thermal limit - AMD currently imposes a 90 degree limit on their CPUs; Intel would shit their pants with that kind of limitation, for example. Not that every chip would need to run at 90 degrees, T239 for example doesn't. But it's also a very expensive process to stack dies like that at this point in time, so it isn't viable for cheaper skus.

All in all V-cache is not the solution, for now.

I don't really see how the latency matters - the benchmarks clearly show that a 3D CPU beats the non-3D version handily in games, so clearly it's worth it (I think the main thing is just that the 3D V-Cache obviously trounces the RAM). And I know the process is expensive, but we now have a 5600X3D so it's not just for the high-end anymore.

The extra power consumption is an issue, though - hopefully they can work on that.

I am back!

Need some Switch 2 news.
We‘ve got some, 100 pages ago. Storage is 256 GB UFS, RAM is 12 GB 120 GB/s LPDDR5X, if I remember correctly. And also some other interesting (smaller) finds in shipping data. Codename is either Ounce or Muji (or both).

Last edited:
Some of you folks will need people who wake them up when September starts.

Starts. Not ends. This isn't the Green Day song.

you are right, but take OldPucks scenario.

"Let's say Nintendo discovers that the bottleneck in most Switch 2 games is the CPU, and high frame rate gaming starts to become common. A slightly optimized node offers only 10% extra power efficiency, but Nintendo discovers that the big Switch 2 bottleneck is CPU, so they spend that tiny efficiency boost on CPU clocks. Nintendo adds a VRR OLED 90hz screen. They enable VRR and high frame rates for docked mode, in software"

You can literally apply this to the switch, but also include mem bandwidth. Nintendo die shrinks the chip, and give it higher performing memory. They could address both of these obvious bottleneck in one swoop, yet doesn't. So I don't think it's a realistic scenario at all.

Yeah, I'd agree with you on that one. If there is a "pro" model of any kind for Switch 2, I'd expect it to be designed around some kind of new feature, not a minor spec bump.

On Mac you need a minimum of 10GB of RAM to run this game on M1.

The A78C is much slower CPU than M1, maybe it can with reduced NPCs. This game is very CPU heavy. RAM is enough as Switch 2 got 12GB.
Docked mode should be much better experience
I’m ask again, isn’t a78 at least beetwen zen2 and zen3 in terms of ipc?

Yeah,about the next Mario Kart. I feel like I don't want to completely restart over is anyone else like this? I am not saying keep Mario Kart 8. But at least the tracks. We can have all new gameplay mechanics and of course make new track and have them be the primary listed tracks but why not keep all the old tracks?
Same thing with Animal Crossing and the Sims or any Sims that iterative (looking at you Story of Seasons. Why is there a complete reset? Can some stuff carry over? My money? House? Do everyone here realize we will start all the way over again?
At least Pokémon allowed us to carry over some Pokémon.

There will be no "Skyrim on Switch" equivalent because the Switch was the first handheld to get AAA western third-party games and Skyrim was the first of those, you cannot recreate that.

Almost everyone will expect Elden Ring on the Switch 2 eventually. Nintendo will probably show many third-party games.

As someone who was initially skeptical at the idea of BG3 coming to switch, I've become much more bullish on it happening, especially with the news of nintendo buying a studio that specialized in switch ports which signals to me that nintendo plans to much more aggressively push for Switch 2 ports of AAA games.

And if nintendo can manage to get BG3 and Elden Ring on Switch 2 the odds of Switch 2 matching Switch sales dramatically increases.

1. Not without massive optimizations to NPC behavior that may or may not be possible. The NPCs eat CPUs in the game.

2. BG3 is receiving no paid DLC so no GotY edition will be made.

Not clear how much a 2+ year late port will sell so I’m not sure how much Larian will want to revisit the code and it could be a significant rework to get NPC behavior to be less costly.

Elden Ring on Switch 2 (early on or at launch) would be the bigger news, imo. Because it would show Bamco support from day one.

BG3 is likely a case of Swen Vincke asking "Can we make it run?", followed with a "Great, let's do it!" if that's the case.

The "ideal" Skyrim-replacement for Switch 2 would be, imo again, GTA6.

But that isn't out by the time Switch 2 will likely release.

I don’t know if anyone cares about Bamco support other than From titles.

I know there are some “Bamco hates Nintendo because no Sand Land on Switch!!!” but like… Not many people care about Sand Land.

At this point my hopes are that the Switch 2 will make me buying a PS5 completely unnecessary. There's like 6 games I want to play there, not nearly enough to pay the asked price.

One of these is Spiderman 2 and that's probably never coming, but I can survive.

if Baldur gate 3 is capable of running on the Steam deck and series s, then it’s going to run fine on the Switch 2, plus we’ll have DLSS that might help ease the development.

BG3 does not actually run on the Steam Deck. It’s like 18 FPS.

BG3’s NPCs eat up tons of CPU cycles so DLSS is irrelevant here. The Series S’ CPU should be 1.5-2.5x more powerful than the Switch 2’s.

Btw. regarding BG3, i assume this thread already talked about it, but in case it slipped some minds, the game runs on an ARM powered PC, running Windows 11, at an acceptable performance.

To me, it feels like Larian has already done 50% of the work for a Switch 2 port. ;]

Btw. regarding BG3, i assume this thread already talked about it, but in case it slipped some minds, the game runs on an ARM powered PC, running Windows 11, at an acceptable performance.

To me, it feels like Larian has already done 50% of the work for a Switch 2 port. ;]
Let that bad boy have a physical release and I’ll be happy, also let Nintendo handle the distribution, since the physical copy of BG3 doesn’t ship where I live.

Wait really?

I’ve always heard people say the game functioned and ran well on the steam deck.

It runs fine until the last third of the game where the game puts a ton of NPCs on screen and then the CPU chokes.

BG3 is very non demanding in its first 2/3rds and is fairly demanding in its last third.

Larian's next game is probably a more viable candidate for Switch 2 than BG3 since they already stated it will be a smaller project. I think BG3 is viable if engine development work they do on their next title includes Switch 2 support, and thus makes it relatively feasible to do a reasonable Switch 2 port. I get the impression they'd rather prioritise their next project given the amount of years they spent on BG3 though.

I'm betting the Skyrim at launch will be Cyberpunk ray reconstructed. The "it ran poopy at launch on last gen" thing will only help make the Switch 2 look better by comparison.

Elden Ring or Red Dead 2 could also be big launches.

GTA 6 may well come. But I wouldn't bet on day and date, good ports of big games take time. But even promising a year after launch, with a trailer, would be more than enough.

And some things that should not have been forgotten were lost. History became legend. Legend became myth.

I, for one, am looking forward to the Polygon (partial-)Redemption Arc.

Wait really?

I’ve always heard people say the game functioned and ran well on the steam deck.
People saying things "run well" on the Steam Deck, especially the heavy stuff, is basically a meme at this point.

It's a recurrent topic in the steam deck subreddit and people joke about it frequently.

"it runs perfectly fine if you don't mind playing on low settings, sub 20fps, at 480p!" and such.

GTA VI will be skyrim moment for switch 2 not baldurs gate 3 lol, GTA VI will be the most alive,interactive,immersive Game And Opsn World in history of gaming

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom