• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

I remember similar sways in opinion in the leadup to the Wii U reveal and the Switch reveal.

I mean sure, that's the nature of such threads.

But the curious thing is, for the sake of the discussion let's just assume everything from last week and the weekend is true, this would mean:

• Reveal soon
  • 16 GB RAM, futureproof
  • BC, both digital and physical
  • Optional enhanced BC
  • Games being shown soon
  • Preorders opening soon

Dunno about you, but for me, again assuming everything is true (which we don't know yet!), there's nothing but positive stuff there.
So it is a bit curious why mood is so down right now. ^^

I find kind of funny that in the same pages in which some users are talking about the challenges of Switch 2 BC because of the massive architectural differences and stuff, another one is just going his way with the "Switch Pro" theory.
Well the thread has to talk about hardware but that doesn't mean you have to be consistent.

But the curious thing is, for the sake of the discussion let's just assume everything from last week and the weekend is true, this would mean:

• Reveal soon
  • 16 GB RAM, futureproof
  • Optional enhanced BC
  • Games being shown soon
  • Preorders opening soon

Dunno about you, but for me, again assuming everything is true (which we don't know yet!), there's nothing but positive stuff there.

I have been wondering this ever since the year started.

The floodgates were always going to open and there is plenty of good news out there whether people choose to want to have faith in the info or not.

But Switch 2 is going to deliver and is going to be good. Be patient and the reveal will come, it is destined and pre-determined. Count down the days because it will all be happening in the coming months regardless.

Don't stress, this is the funnest time for this thread. The Golden Age if you will.

What exactly.did you.find out?

as I said in my other post, I need to scrutinize what Iโ€™ve been told before going around being like โ€œyo check this outโ€. I will say it has nothing to do with what the switch 2 is but rather the marketing/release timing. Thats what us investors look at first and foremost.

He fโ€™ed around

And I will find out. Sleuthing and research is fair in the stock game.

Gone for now. Lots of calls to make.

Theoretical question, assuming we're just ~3-4 weeks away from a reveal, and reveal here means show the console, games, basically do a Jan 2017-like event ... then how fast could Digital Foundry get their hands on a devkit to tear it down?

I doubt Nintendo will provide them with an early "review" unit.

I forgot their name, but you reminded me of that sniffing reporter from Apollo Justice xD
Iโ€™m almost upset that I know Spark Brushel by name when heโ€™s mentioned.
ezgif-4-e3b28ece77.gif

edit: damn, temporary link on my slapdash webp conversion died. Man, I hate webp. now youโ€™re all spared Spark Brushel.

Last edited:
Consider using the ignore button. It's served me well for the last year of rumors.
ignore... thread?

and before you say what I think you'll say no I don't get scared by tulpa's switch pro thing anymore, at this point if hell freezes over and it actually happens I'll be relieved that I don't have to buy the giant turd

I've became so numb to these tech discussions (or at least the dooming and glooming part) Every cycle it's the same worries but every generation Nintendo games will just be as enjoyable as always.

I love the rumors don't get me wrong but sheesh, could the drama be dialed back a bit?

It's interesting because I keep coming back to Gamecube and N64 games and I can still enjoy the way these games run and according to my calculations the specs of those machines are ancient now.

Or are they? How many Gamecubes fit in a Switch 2 according to the specs exactly?

ignore... thread?

and before you say what I think you'll say no I don't get scared by tulpa's switch pro thing anymore, at this point if hell freezes over and it actually happens I'll be relieved that I don't have to buy the giant turd
Let the thread go and accept the fear of uncertainty. The ignore thread button is top.

Theoretical question, assuming we're just ~3-4 weeks away from a reveal, and reveal here means show the console, games, basically do a Jan 2017-like event ... then how fast could Digital Foundry get their hands on a devkit to tear it down?

I doubt Nintendo will provide them with an early "review" unit.
a dev kit or a retail unit? because if they got a dev kit, Nintendo would gun them down in broad daylight.

DF doesn't really do teardowns anyway. other outlets do that

ignore... thread?

One more Switch 2 unit for the rest of us!

a dev kit or a retail unit? because if they got a dev kit, Nintendo would gun them down in broad daylight.

DF doesn't really do teardowns anyway. other outlets do that

Which outlets other than DF are quality? Wondering which ones I should watch for that are most likely to do a Switch 2 teardown, if DF is no longer doing those

Speaking of fools, I mightโ€™ve been handed a rope in which to hang myself. Finally got some answers, at least as it pertains to my thesis on Wall Street chatter/stock movements and how it can be used reasonably to predict things. Iโ€™ve never had to network this hard before but Iโ€™ll mention it once I feel comfortable that it passes my own sniff test.
Is this potentially good or bad news. I can't tell, lol.

as I said in my other post, I need to scrutinize what Iโ€™ve been told before going around being like โ€œyo check this outโ€. I will say it has nothing to do with what the switch 2 is but rather the marketing/release timing. Thats what us investors look at first and foremost.

And I will find out. Sleuthing and research is fair in the stock game.

Gone for now. Lots of calls to make.

If you can get that accurately it would greatly assist clearing up just that final piece of information regarding the release timing (my bet has been on November 2024 but others are more optimistic it's far earlier than that. Which it might well be at this point.)

How likely is that Nintendo provided limited dev kits to some 3rd parties, and then will hand them the full ones so they can finish development for those upcoming games?
Isn't that the nature of dev kits in general? The earlier you're working on things before release, the more you're going to be stuck with an early version less indicative of the final product.
DS games on 3DS look awful.
Better situation this time in two ways, even if undocked old games are stuck at 720p.
1) DS->3DS scaling was 125, so a 4x4 block of pixels becomes 5x5. In this scenario, only 16% of result pixels can be counted on to be one of the original colors versus an in-between blend. In an example like I've made here it's a little higher since I'm using so few colors overall. 720->1080 is 150%, so a 2x2 block of pixels becomes 3x3. In this scenario, 44% of result pixels can be counted on to be one of the original colors versus an in-between blend.
YZF5BP3.png

2) Each S2 pixel should be less than half the length/width of each 3DS pixel. The smaller the pixels are, the harder it is to tell even if the scaling ratio is crap.

Is this potentially good or bad news. I can't tell, lol.

If Shareholder Chad is going to be financially irresponsible that sounds to me like it might be good news and heโ€™s going to lump some money.

Thatโ€™s just how I read his posts though. Hopefully he is able to come back with something concrete!

Why am I seeing, on February 12nd 2024, some gaming press reporting that Switch 2 will have a custom Nvidia chip as a new rumour?Lmao.
Wonder what finally convinced them after all this time, if the nvidia leaks, customs data, etc wasn't going to do it. SMH

Why am I seeing, on February 12nd 2024, some gaming press reporting that Switch 2 will have a custom Nvidia chip as a new rumour?Lmao.
Reuters reported as a footnote that Nvidia is supplying a custom chip to Nintendo's upcoming system. Gaming outlets who didn't know reported on it as it was a "big revelation" when we've known for around 15 months.

It's seriously nothing special, but at least people are more aware now.

I find kind of funny that in the same pages in which some users are talking about the challenges of Switch 2 BC because of the massive architectural differences and stuff, another one is just going his way with the "Switch Pro" theory.
I've read an equivalent or even worse idea than the Switch Pro one today, that Nintendo will deliberately cut off BC to sell Switch 1 games on a subscription service.

cat-facepalm

Honestly, I'm patient for the console release itself, I just want it to be revealed to put an end to all these absolute galaxy brain takes.

What are the solutions to reduce energy consumption while increasing performance that do not necessarily involve modernizing engraving processes?

I ask this because the margin of progress in this field does not seem infinite in the medium term.

What are the solutions to reduce energy consumption while increasing performance that do not necessarily involve modernizing engraving processes?

I ask this because the margin of progress in this field does not seem infinite in the medium term.
Better AI scaling techniques probably

I sure as hell wonder how the PS5 Pro will look AND its dev kit
I think the OG PS5 design actually looks totally fine. In promo material it looks weird, but in person itโ€™s quite pleasant. The revision, though, is completely ugly due to the detachable disc drive, clashing glossy vs. matte finish, both sharp and rounded corners instead of the all rounded OG, and the ugly โ€œracing stripeโ€. Iโ€™m guessing the Pro will look similar to that to use the same disc drive which is a shame.

• Reveal soon
  • 16 GB RAM, futureproof
  • Optional enhanced BC
  • Games being shown soon
  • Preorders opening soon

Threads moving far too fast for me to know how that ended up happening. But that's the nature of things the mood will ebb and flow.

I personally think it's good to try to take a balanced view of all this. Maybe they trying to hope for the best but expect the worst

If Shareholder Chad is going to be financially irresponsible that sounds to me like it might be good news and heโ€™s going to lump some money.

Thatโ€™s just how I read his posts though. Hopefully he is able to come back with something concrete!
Thatโ€™s the way I see it as well, lots of money being dumped into shares if he thinks something imminent is happening.

Reuters reported as a footnote that Nvidia is supplying a custom chip to Nintendo's upcoming system. Gaming outlets who didn't know reported on it as it was a "big revelation" when we've known for around 15 months.
I wouldn't even say most of them didn't already know, but a third party making the claim is slightly different, and they'll run with any crumb.

...I mean that's how it's always been. Wii Games looked very slightly worse on Wii U

I want to say though it's not the difference between something that was tack sharp vs. smearing vaseline. It's more like GCN games on Wii looking ever so slightly blurrier, correct?

And even then, I would argue it would provide an overall better experience because through homebrew, I believe it's possible to run the Wii Mode at Wii U CPU clockspeeds like was possible for GCN games on Wii at Wii clockspeeds via the Nintendont homebrew app.

Did N4/4N already have 22% improved power efficiency over N5?
I think that's possible since TSMC mentioned that TSMC's N4 process node can achieve a 6% die shrink through optical shrinks, "standard (std) cell innovations", and design rule changes. And I assume that's what Nvidia's done with TSMC's 4N process node.

Nintendo Switch has always supported USB 3.0
, and the original dock had a USB 3.0 USB A port on the rear they had planned to use.
That's not true. Nintendo told Polygon there were plans to support USB 3.0 for the rear USB-A port on the dock in future updates. But the rear USB-A port on the dock is still running at USB 2.0 speeds.

This is an old paper that outlines mitigation efforts that have since, broadly speaking, occured, and I certainly don't think a single report from 12 years ago can classify as "infamy".
I found a post from 6 October 2020 from a hardware hacker talking about how radio frequency interference is still a problem with USB 3.0. And although there's a way to reduce radio frequency interference, that issue can't be fully eliminated. The USB 3.0 toolings are not only very expensive, but are also rifled with issues. And there's not much documentation for USB 3.0, and the existing documentation for USB 3.0 hasn't been used enough to identify all of USB 3.0's problems.

And commentors on Hacker News replied to that post, talking about how USB 3.0 still has radio frequency interference issues.

So although the paper from Intel is from 2012, as far as I know, USB 3.0 still has radio frequency interference issues.

That's not true.
The USB C port of Nintendo Switch is USB 3.0, and Nintendo Switch has always had he circuitry to support USB 3.0. USB 3.0 doesn't just mean A, and I clarified that the A port was planned to be used but wasn't. Regardless, the USB 3.0 A port has always been there and is simply limited by firmware.

I found a post from 6 October 2020 from a hardware hacker talking about how radio frequency interference is still a problem with USB 3.0. And although there's a way to reduce radio frequency interference, that issue can't be fully eliminated. The USB 3.0 toolings are not only very expensive, but are also rifled with issues. And there's not much documentation for USB 3.0, and the existing documentation for USB 3.0 hasn't been used enough to identify all of USB 3.0's problems.

And commentors on Hacker News replied to that post, talking about how USB 3.0 still has radio frequency interference issues.

So although the paper from Intel is from 2012, as far as I know, USB 3.0 still has radio frequency interference issues.
I appreciate the added context but it remains that this is neither infamy, nor did it stop Nintendo's various USB 3.0 integrations for Nintendo Switch, nor any existing device or dock with a combination of HDMI and USB 3.0

While I don't expect USB 3.0 ports of any kind of the dock itself, I think the interference problem is irrelevant; it didn't stop Nintendo and it hasn't stopped anyone else as of late.

• Reveal soon
  • 16 GB RAM, futureproof
  • Optional enhanced BC
  • Games being shown soon
  • Preorders opening soon

Did Nate double down on this? I missed it.

Nintendo still left that port at USB 2.0 speeds. Why they did that I don't know the full details to, but they swapped the port out for an Ethernet jack for the OLED model.
There's a very valid technical reason for it being 2.0 speeds.

A USB-C port carries a USB 2 and a USB 3 over 2 sets of wires. In this case, Nintendo never used USB 3, but used those wires for video out as an almost standard version of USB-C DisplayPort Alt Mode. They couldn't have video out and USB 3 at the same time.

They would have needed a second USB-C port for the USB 3 to work with video out at the same time.

maybe Gamers Nexus. if they bother to care about a nintendo system as they're a PC outlet.

IFixIt will most likely do a teardown as well
Gamer Nexus is a hardware outlet and Nintendo and consoles don't fit well with their content mill which relies on testing scores of graphics cards every month

That said iirc they did do a teardown and was one of the earliest outlets to a Switch teardown (on launchday) and Confirm the X1 SoC back in 2017.

I suspect they will do the same with a teardown of Switch 2

Wii vs virtual Wii on Wii U is difficult to say with certainty, in practice, which image is unequivocally better than the other because we're dealing with a 480p output vs a 480p soft upscaled to 1080p, where the 1080p output may be better processed by a television. A raw sharp 480p image may look better but many folks never saw it, they most likely plugged their composite / component cables into their HDTV to play their new copy of Wii Sports and that 480i/p signal was in the hands of their set, and since television scaling is focused on video content it definitely interpolated those pixels to hell and back.

And whether or not 480p should be soft or sharp upscaled is subjective in the first place, since the low resolution makes pixelation and aliasing more apparent which may be unpleasant for some. Personally I prefer the sharp upscale, but some can't stand the look of a line-doubled/tripled/quadrupled 480p and would prefer to apply post-process AA or blur like the mClassic.

From what I recall there were some differences in chroma shift or inaccuracies in color gamut but again, for the everyday consumer, their TV may also improperly process the original Wii's color signals. If you set the Wii U to 480p I wouldn't be surprised if ended up looking very similar sharpness wise to the Wii's 480p output.

And with all that in mind - the Wii also deploys a deflicker filter for all its games which blurs the image and there is a 480p bug in the Revolution SDK that generates a low-pass filter and neither of these can be removed without homebrew, even on the Wii U. So the Wii never gave a very good looking picture in the first place unless you were playing on a CRT.

For Switch to Switch 2, unpatched games will look 'worse' in handheld if you consider any form of pixel interpolation to be worse. Some might accept the slight loss in sharpness for a larger screen. And we also don't know what scaling method they would use in docked mode, 1080p to 2160p provides a neat 4X integer scale option. From my understanding the PS5 and XSX don't do this for BC, since integer scaling can make pixelation more visible. I don't anticipate anything like a global FSR1 since that also affects 2D and text elements and can disrupt the overall look even if it can clean up 3D graphics. We'll have to see.

Gamer Nexus is a hardware outlet and Nintendo and consoles don't fit well with their content mill which relies on testing scores of graphics cards every month

That said iirc they did do a teardown and was one of the earliest outlets to a Switch teardown (on launchday) and Confirm the X1 SoC back in 2017.

I suspect they will do the same with a teardown of Switch 2

Tech insight has also always done analysis on Nintendo stuff, ever since we crowdsourced a Wii U die shot back in the day (lol). They didn't want our money, but did the die shot anyway.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom