• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

tomorrow as in Wenesday?
It's only posted by Nintendo more than 24 hours after the earnings release (and then translated a day or two after that), but the call/meeting it's actually part of happens before that. If there's anything notable from that, then it will be reported on soon. But we'll have to wait for the transcript to see the questions for ourselves.

Last edited:
Me thinks they were getting too comfortable just because it didn’t totally flatline after 5 years like the Wii did

Last edited:

Switch focus "going into 2024", plans for next FY shared next time - as close to a confirmation of the successor in 2024 as possible without spelling it out.

Switch 2 is still this year. The fact most new releases are remakes or remaster makes this incredibly obvious......they are saying things like that to keep people wanting to purchase this Switch for the time being. They don't want the harsh fall off some of us surely expected now.

Switch focus "going into 2024", plans for next FY shared next time - as close to a confirmation of the successor in 2024 as possible without spelling it out.
And he said the line: "Nintendo remained tight-lipped about any Switch successor plan, with Furukawa declining to comment beyond saying that the company is always researching new hardware and software." Everybody clap!

I hope no one is surprised that this earnings and Q&A will be a carbon copy of the last seven.

And he said the line: "Nintendo remained tight-lipped about any Switch successor plan, with Furukawa declining to comment beyond saying that the company is always researching new hardware and software." Everybody clap!

I hope no one is surprised that this earnings and Q&A will be a carbon copy of the last seven.
B.jpg

I don't personally think they're gonna tell their investors no new hardware is coming and then a month later announce new hardware. I think if we get anything in March it'll be fairly small, and won't be the full reveal.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...usiness-entering-2024-as-console-clears-139m/

It can be read a lot of ways, but I don't expect a full reveal in March.

You said Nintendo said no new hardware was coming when they didn't say that, though.

What a dissappointing way to start a day. I can't believe the absolute mad man has said the forbidden words.

Phil Spencer saying "We're listening and we hear you" and Furukawa saying "We're always researching new hardware"

Just two things that you can always expect from Nintendo and MS lol.

Furukawa solely focusing on the Switch for 2024, not a big surprise. I'm honestly more interested in when we start getting leaks for the actual design of the device, since it feels like the Switch successor is more likely to be talked about at the meeting in May.

You said Nintendo said no new hardware was coming when they didn't say that, though.

Phil Spencer saying "We're listening and we hear you" and Furukawa saying "We're always researching new hardware"

Just two things that you can always expect from Nintendo and MS lol.
he says he's listening as he lays off more empployees

I genuinely fail to see the difference. I just don't see them declining to comment here and then having a huge blowout in March. I could see a formal announcement, or even an announcement of an announcement, but I don't see a huge January 2017 like event happening a month from now.

Furukawa solely focusing on the Switch for 2024, not a big surprise.
"The exec instead insisted that the current Nintendo Switch iteration would be Nintendo’s “main business” heading into 2024."

That's not "solely focusing on the Switch for 2024," it's focusing on Switch heading into 2024, so the beginning of 2024, which.. of course they are, as there's no other system yet.

Remember the one investor meeting where some guys asked about the development of some games? I think Takahashi answered that one of the named ones is in development.

Me checking the thread: „So many new pages. I‘m sure Switch 2 got revealed“
Me 15 minutes later:
„Team 2025 has won.“
/s

C'mon I'm the first person dissappointed, but that Furukawa statement is a nothing burger. It means absolutely nothing regarding the announcement of new hardware in the near future.

Nintendo has stated Nintendo Switch will be it main focus in 2024.

Yeah, the Switch will be the main focus of 2024 even if the Switch 2 does come out. The Switch has several games coming out, and the Switch 2 won't be out until the last 3-4 months of the year. For the majority of the year, Nintendo will be selling Switch 1's and games for it. Plus, you can name dozens of times when Nintendo fibbed about console launches and revisions. This statement means nothing.

I genuinely fail to see the difference. I just don't see them declining to comment here and then having a huge blowout in March. I could see a formal announcement, or even an announcement of an announcement, but I don't see a huge January 2017 like event happening a month from now.
Nintendo has kinda a history with „breaking“ such statements.

Nintendo has stated Nintendo Switch will be it main focus in 2024.

"Nintendo Switch will be their main business entering in 2024,

But they never declined hardware; they declined to talk about new hardware.

That's the main difference; if they said, "No new hardware for this year," like they have done in the past then I'd agree with you, but all they said was ", We're declining to talk about a successor right at this moment"

Considering the Gamescom chatter about something happening in March, I wouldn't even consider dooming until April 1st.

Or maybe April 2nd, because you'd at least wanna enjoy the holiday.

That's the main difference; if they said, "No new hardware for this year," like they have done in the past then I'd agree with you, but all they said was ", We're declining to talk about a successor right at this moment"
Typically Nintendo.

Wording is so important with Nintendo. They avoid definitive answers like the plague. "Entering" just makes this read like a non-statement, trying to keep things underwraps while deterring a large population of people scrambling for news of a Switch 2.

Some of y'all are being played like a fiddle right now.

For reference I'm not saying it's 2025, I'm just saying I don't expect a huge blowout right after this statement. A major event would need like at least 1-2 weeks to be announced ahead of time, maybe even a months worth of time, I don't see such a event being announced like a week or three from now right after they said "we're not gonna talk about it right now." Whatever happens in March I expect it be fairly small scale.

I don't know if anyone really expected the Switch 2 to be mentionned at this point, I mean...

They are currently mostly selling Switch as replacement /complement units, we see the base model diving while the Oled still stand pretty well and... the lite actually raising its sales.

The second they announce something else, no one will be wanting to get "another switch" but rather wait for the Switch 2, so ... Unless he wants to score historical low Q4, they have absolutely no incent to reveal the Switch 2.

For reference I'm not saying it's 2025, I'm just saying I don't expect a huge blowout right after this statement. A major event would need like at least 1-2 weeks to be announced ahead of time, maybe even a months worth of time, I don't see such a event being announced like a week or three from now right after they said "we're not gonna talk about it right now." Whatever happens in March I expect it be fairly small scale.

Nobody is saying a Switch 2 presentation ala Switch 2017 presentation next month. We're saying Switch 2 October 2016 announcement.

Timeline (not confirmed)

March Switch 2 Announcement with Trailer = Switch 1 October 2016 trailer
May/June Switch 2 presentation = Switch 1 January 2017 presentation
September/October 2024 release = Switch 1 March 2017 release

switch focus for the rest of 2024 FISCAL year, next meeting they will talk the plans for NEXT FISCAL year. Is comming and soon.
Yeah, it was a bit vaguely phrased in the Bloomberg report but I interpreted the message being that Switch is the focus on the rest of the 2024 (which is the current) fiscal year and then for the coming fiscal year (which starts in April) they will announce their plans later.

Nobody is saying a Switch 2 presentation ala Switch 2017 presentation next month. We're saying Switch 2 October 2016 announcement.

Timeline (not confirmed)

I could see that, but I don't believe the switch 2 will be announced with a trailer personally, but who knows. We'll see in March I guess.

I could see that, but I don't believe the switch 2 will be announced with a trailer personally, but who knows. We'll see in March I guess.
How else would they do it? Both Sony and Microsoft do trailers for upcoming consoles. Seems like the thing to do.

Timeline (not confirmed)

I hope it's all faster than that, because otherwise it's going to be a very sad 9 first months of the year with no Nintendo heavy hitters. And by heavy hitters Im talking new blockbuster releases.

Considering last year the earnings release was may 10th, I expect the big presentation to be held late April. Then they can discuss it better with investors. And then release the console during the summer. The Switch released at an atypical date and it worked just fine, so why not do it again?

Last edited:
I think the announcement window is becoming clearer. Let's consider the following:
  • A Nintendo Direct is expected focusing on software releasing in the first half of the calendar year.
  • Nintendo stating that Switch will be the focus of this fiscal year.
The fiscal year ends on March 31st. At this stage, it can be inferred that Nintendo will not reveal the console before March 31.

We know that Nintendo provides will provide an earnings release of the preceding financial year within the first two weeks of May.

This effectively leaves us with an approximately 5 week window in April and early May in which Nintendo can announce its next-gen console. After its announcement, Nintendo can then provide shareholders information about how the new console ties into their corporate strategy and projected finances.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom