• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

That's what I'm saying.

MP4 in my view is most likely a cross-generation game (like BOTW). There is going to be both Switch 1 and Switch 2 versions.

What I'm saying (that I think you're missing) - I don't see Nintendo announcing MP4 as a Switch 1 game (with no hint/mention of Switch 2) during a January or February Direct.

Then Nintendo later announces Switch 2 and says "oh btw Switch 2 will have MP4 too, enhanced Switch 2 version". The Switch 1 MP4 preorders aren't going to be happy.

I see it more likely MP4 release date is going to be announced at same time (or after) Switch 2 is announced.
I agree with you. I 100% expect a cross-gen game with parallel release. Difference being MP4 on Switch 2 will look a lot better than on OG Switch (unlike BOTW WiiU>Switch), so it absolutely makes sense to wait for the reveal to show off the S2 version a blow everyone away with that one. Other than higher res (I guess S1 version will stay at MP remastered's resolution) I expect some kind of RT in the S2 version to really outshine the other version.

It's not marketing to announce you are working on a project. Literally showing that product with a full blown reveal of the concept and form factor is marketing. It's unreal to suggest Switch marketing didn't start in Oct 2016. They literally revealed the whole console then.
I see what you’re saying but disagree. When a company communicates publicly about almost anything, it’s marketing. When it’s about an anticipated new product, it’s definitely marketing. Marketing is not just the stuff the marketing dept produces. Nintendo definitely understands this.

The Wii was a truly innovative controller, but the hardware is the GameCube Pro.
in fact the GameCube hardware itself was pretty innovative for the time, specifically the ATI-designed Flipper GPU, which implemented hardware transform and lighting all by itself, without the use of a secondary processor or a co-processor, something that even the PlayStation 2 and its Graphics Synthesizer hardware didn’t do, although of course the original Xbox had graphics hardware that could take advantage of programmable shaders and the DX8 feature set instead of just DX7.

3D graphics were moving at breakneck speeds in the early 2000s. The Xbox 360 which had groundbreaking graphics hardware that introduced unified shader architecture to consoles and PCs alike, was released just four years after the Xbox and GameCube. It’s actually the decade or so since that we witnessed the stagnation of actual features and the move towards power efficiency and scalability in gaming graphics. That is until real-time ray tracing became viable. I wonder what the new Switch hardware will prioritize more and I hope it can achieve some sort of balance as a portable enough device that has some ray-tracing grunt that doesn’t lose out too much in the battery life department because of it.

Not to drag the thread back off-topic but I just caught up and feel responsible to comment on the gatekeeping (since I kinda started it).

Just wanted all the newer users and longtime lurkers to know it's not my intention or suggestion that this thread begin locking itself down or become nearly unreadable, I just wanted people to see it was possible to further restrict their posts if they feel the need to. This is not the first time things in Hide tags have been skimmed off this thread by bad actors, and it's sometimes pretty uncomfortable when it happens (though @Meelow's taking this one in stride 👍) so I was just floating possibilities. I understand the intimidation in coming in and commenting in this thread because that used to be me, and even now there are still times where I'm nervous to ask or say something here so I get it, and I do not want this place to feel less welcoming.

And the stuff yall're missing in all those restricted posts for the past 12 hours or so is honestly just shitposting and practicing the BBcode, so nothing to worry about. 😅

Personally, I understood your intention and think that makes sense. You don't need to feel responsible for proposing ideas to allow the users posts whatever they want with more safety, this is really important because lurkers as us don't risk anything entering the thread but it's not the same for other users or their connections. There are many users here with connections and, on the end of the connection, there is a person with its life, work and problems. If someone has any idea to allow the users of Famiboards to post safety whatever they can without risking other people work, it should be shared. Mods and admins can then check it and review if it could be viable.

If they reveal (reveal here stands for an event like the Switch Jan 2017 one) it in March, there's little argument that it would launch in H2.
Especially if they're going to open preorders after such an event again, like they did with Switch.

And such an event would also make sense to have devs/pubs informed about, especially those who're going to show off and/or announce games there.
They wouldn't have to be specifically briefed for a PR or video announcement. The former doesn't need anything ready for that, and the latter just needs some video material.
And if thirds would want to announce their games for ReDraketed right around it's own announcement, it should be enough to give them a heads-up 1 or 2 weeks prior to that, it's not the most difficult work to write a PR statement or prepare social meda posts for it. Definitely not something you would need to inform them about for some good ~ 8-9 months in advance.

I'm staying Team May/June release until March 24 happens without a reveal event.

IMO a window between Sep ~ Oct 2024 would fit well for the new hardware
I can't see they releasing in November for some reasons

Reasons? So the PS5 Pro comes in multiple SKUs, too? ^^

------

E:

Oh, it seems Jeff Grubb backs the PS5 Pro info from last week, and apparently a September 2024 target for launch? Or announcement?

Last edited:
If they reveal (reveal here stands for an event like the Switch Jan 2017 one) it in March, there's little argument that it would launch in H2.
Especially if they're going to open preorders after such an event again, like they did with Switch.

And such an event would also make sense to have devs/pubs informed about, especially those who're going to show off and/or announce games there.
They wouldn't have to be specifically briefed for a PR or video announcement. The former doesn't need anything ready for that, and the latter just needs some video material.
And if thirds would want to announce their games for ReDraketed right around it's own announcement, it should be enough to give them a heads-up 1 or 2 weeks prior to that, it's not the most difficult work to write a PR statement or prepare social meda posts for it. Definitely not something you would need to inform them about for some good ~ 8-9 months in advance.

I'm staying Team May/June release until March 24 happens without a reveal event.

Reasons? So the PS5 Pro comes in multiple SKUs, too? ^^

------

E:

Oh, it seems Jeff Grubb backs the PS5 Pro info from last week, and apparently a September 2024 target for launch? Or announcement?
Literally every single PlayStation has released in either November or December.

I personally think the reveal will be in late February or early March. I don’t think they’ll do it before mass production begins, and some posters said that likely it won’t start before lunar New Year. I also believe they’ll want to have a fast launch instead of waiting for months, so I think September will be the latest, more likely between late april-early june. If they launch early they’ll have a better time preparing for the first Holidays, as Kit and Krysta have said in their podcast. I’m 100% sure they’ll have more stock this time, but the demand is also going to be much higher, so it will be as difficult to have an early Switch 2 as it was with the original one in 2017.

what are you all doing for when Switch 2 preorders go live?

preorder online and wait for delivery post-launch or do an in-store order so it's in your hands day one?
Im rushing to my local store in Paris and try to preorder directly to them. If it doesn’t work I’ll have to install add ons to my browser so I’m notified as soon as there’s stock online. That’s how I got the Switch summer 2017.

Last edited:
If we start expecting September 2024 as the new default guess you know that there will be a push very soon to make 2025 the new default expectation. It’s like clockwork.

H1 2024 until it’s no longer realistic!

If we start expecting September 2024 as the new default guess you know that there will be a push very soon to make 2025 the new default expectation. It’s like clockwork.

H2 2024 has been the most likely release window ever since we knew there was no Switch Pro.

It's those saying H1 2023 then H2 2023 then H1 2024 who keep making the push to change their default expectation...like clockwork you could say.

Based on the release schedule, top tier sources and the timing of events like the Gamescom briefings, I'm 90% certain H2 2024 is when the new console will arrive.

terminator2-trust-me.gif

Staff Communication
Hey everyone, we have heard Nintendo Prime has been snatching content in hidden Famiboards posts for his videos again. We checked on our end and we could not find a definitive alt account to kick out.

We’ll continue to be on the lookout for Nintendo Prime, but for now, if you have sensitive information that you do not want attributed to you, it would be best to either restrict information to higher reply counts you feel comfortable with and see how that goes, or not post that information altogether. Thank you.

- meatbag, xghost777, Dardan Sandiego

a switch is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to.

Thanks, now i can't get rid of the image of Switch 2 standing before Game Freak and all the other late-to-the-party japanese third parties, yelling "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" at them.

September 2024 has always been the realist default guess. March was a close second.

@Dakhil, from what I read, it uses 4 A78 cores, not A78C. Am I missing something?
The only way Qualcomm can have a CPU configuration with four big CPU cores when using Arm's IPs is with 4 Cortex-X1C cores and 4 Cortex-A78C cores (4 big CPU cores and 4 medium CPU cores). Arm usually only allows a CPU configuration of 1 big CPU core, 3 medium CPU cores, and 4 small CPU cores (e.g. 1 Cortex-X1, 3 Cortex-A78 cores, and 4 Cortex-A55 cores) when using Arm's IPs. (Of course, Arm does allow a CPU configuration of eight big CPU cores with 8 Cortex-X1C cores when using Arm's IPs.)

Last edited:
Man, it really sucks that certain YouTubers have ended up potentially ruining stuff for people like me that like to skim this thread for updates. I don't understand the majority of the technical jargon that is posted in this thread, but I always have a good time reading it even if I don't engage very often. It's awful that people who were contributing may feel like they can't do that as much/at all any more because some people had to ruin it by trying to chase some YouTube clout, but at the end of the day none of us are entitled to insider information, it has always been a treat and a luxury and I completely understand if people try to hold back from here on out to protect themselves and others. Thanks to all the people in here who have posted and explained things, it was very much appreciated.

Jeff Grubb talks about the PS5 Pro:
'He is basically backing up a supposed list of specs from last week mentioning a 60% improvement to raw performance (he doesnt commit to a specific target and says theres a range), 2X RT performance with new accelerators and a dedicated Machine Learning processor to handle high resolution upscaling like DLSS.'
Source

A dedicated Machine Learning processor is really interesting.

Last edited:
If the Switch 2 retains the same form factor as at present, which is extremely likely, do you think the rumors about a future dual-screen controller might actually be about the Nintendo DS coming into the NSO during the next hardware's lifecycle?

If the Switch 2 retains the same form factor as at present, which is extremely likely, do you think the rumors about a future dual-screen controller might actually be about the Nintendo DS coming into the NSO during the next hardware's lifecycle?
Could be that case. I’m seeing NSO getting NDS games, but 3DS they wiuld try to HD Remasterize

Today, a dual screen doesn't make sense
Yeah gimmicks like that don’t make sense in the modern day, people want “gimmicks” like Ps5 and it’s spacial audio and haptics and nvme ssd and hdr, because they enhance gameplay and make the game more fun and interesting. The ds and 3ds dual screens were mostly used for gimmicky nonsense other than Tomodachi Life (one of the best games ever made) and few others, but very few had done something truly great with it that it wouldn’t have been better to just have a single higher res screen and bigger battery and more powerful soc.

Today, a dual screen doesn't make sense
Yeah gimmicks like that don’t make sense in the modern day, people want “gimmicks” like Ps5 and it’s spacial audio and haptics and nvme ssd and hdr, because they enhance gameplay and make the game more fun and interesting. The ds and 3ds dual screens were mostly used for gimmicky nonsense other than Tomodachi Life (one of the best games ever made) and few others, but very few had done something truly great with it that it wouldn’t have been better to just have a single higher res screen and bigger battery and more powerful soc.
There's no need at all to "want gimmicks" to think that it would be difficult to integrate the Nintendo DS into NSO without adding a dedicated accessory, especially in portable mode.

There's no question of modernity when it comes to NSO.

If we’ve been getting controllers as accessories to play NES, SNES, and N64 games, plus a GameCube controller for Smash, we can get some sort of accessory to play with DS games. Like a clamshell screen with a stylus, or just a stylus.

I see what you’re saying but disagree. When a company communicates publicly about almost anything, it’s marketing. When it’s about an anticipated new product, it’s definitely marketing. Marketing is not just the stuff the marketing dept produces. Nintendo definitely understands this.

ok then Nintendo was marketing their stock at that point, not the NX.

Public Relations is not to be confused with Marketing.

Nintendo addressing the preoccupations of remaining in the console market is PR, not marketing.

The Switch did not start a marketing campaign once its codename was announced. It started the moment it was publicly unveiled via a reveal trailer.

Yup. It's popular among hardcore Shmup fans last I remember.

And it's something I've talked on this thread a couple times prior. DS games would be easily doable, plus Nintendo could launch a "DS Grip" that does exactly this. And since the button/stick layout is very similar for Switch, no real need to add additional controller options either. It's a win-win for DS/3DS fans.

Maybe a dumb question but I am not really up to date: A few weeks (or months? haha) ago, there was talk about the external storage medium. Is there a current consent which external storage seems the most plausible? Like, are the SD card read speeds good enough or has it to be another medium like UFS (which currently doesn't seem to be mainstream enough) or proprietary NVMe modules like for XBox Series? To me it seems like that SD cards are enough if we look at the Steam Deck.

Maybe a dumb question but I am not really up to date: A few weeks (or months? haha) ago, there was talk about the external storage medium. Is there a current consent which external storage seems the most plausible? Like, are the SD card read speeds good enough or has it to be another medium like UFS (which currently doesn't seem to be mainstream enough) or proprietary NVMe modules like for XBox Series? To me it seems like that SD cards are enough if we look at the Steam Deck.
there is no consensus

drake bros, we lost our edge! now no game will ever come to drake
Really seems like they're going all out with upscaling for the Pro. I find this more worrisome for the eventual PS6/Switch 3 comparison, tbh. The technical gap might end up being the largest ever of any console gen as long as Nintendo/Sony are concerned.

Really seems like they're going all out with upscaling for the Pro. I find this more worrisome for the eventual PS6/Switch 3 comparison, tbh. The technical gap might end up being the largest ever of any console gen as long as Nintendo/Sony are concerned.

You're aware that, no matter how powerful or how much DLSS-like toys the PS5 Pro has, devs will still have to target base PS5 for ... well pretty much the whole rest of the gen?

And as for the next gen after this, see it this way, the more Sony (and MS) swing to such tools like DLSS, the less need they might have to go with "super powerful" hardware. They're business after all, if they can get the performance target they want with "cheaper / weaker" components than they would've needed without those tools, they will stick to them to have more ROI per console.

Ignoring the rumours in question, DS games coming to NSO is one of the safest bets right now, and I would bet money on the fact that Nintendo is/was working on some solution to bring these games to their next hardware. Nostalgia for the DS/Wii era is huge at the moment, with people who got their DS when they formed some of their defining memories being the target audience.

Speaking of NSO, their current schedule definitely indicates that something is going to happen by March at the latest. Their last announced games, F-Zero and Golden Sun, are coming in January and February respectively. Personally, I don't see another Direct focused on their current hardware when the last one was already grasping at straws in terms of announcements.

You're aware that, no matter how powerful or how much DLSS-like toys the PS5 Pro has, devs will still have to target base PS5 for ... well pretty much the whole rest of the gen?

And as for the next gen after this, see it this way, the more Sony (and MS) swing to such tools like DLSS, the less need they might have to go with "super powerful" hardware. They're business after all, if they can get the performance target they want with "cheaper / weaker" components than they would've needed without those tools, they will stick to them to have more ROI per console.
I don't think what you first said applies for the eventual comparison being discussed, PS5 has a deadline like every other console before it. Now, for the next gen, you're also aware that AMD embracing accelerated upscaling essentially means we're going to get games that are going to be upscaled from relatively low resolutions (perhaps to run varying degrees of pathtracing), right? It significantly decreases the leeway an hypothetical Switch 3 will have to perform acceptably, and that's without any other concerns like CPU... It is absolutely an impediment for the future.

On the matter of Nintendo DS games on Nintendo Switch, we know from Wii U Virtual Console exactly how they'd deal with DS on a single screen, and from my usage... Yep, it was pretty great. Using DS games with the top screen on the TV and touch screen on the Game Pad was NOT the best way to play these games, despite what you'd think. The Nintendo Switch screen is so much larger and higher resolution that you could do all sorts! Make one virtual screen fill the screen top to bottom, have the second screen smaller beside it, and that second screen would still be larger and higher resolution than the original viewport.

I'm not worried about NSO DS as regards input methods at all- there's already an official stylus and tonnes of official headsets with mics. Maybe they might let us use our phone as a mic and touch input using the NSO app, if they're feeling up to it!

For the relevance to the next hardware, while I'd LIKE to see motion controls good enough to act as pointer controls (a sensor bar isn't needed, just better IR Motion Cameras), and a mic and a speaker, and a headphone jack... I don't expect any of that. Well- there is one exception I don't really expect, but really want.

Joy-Con Grip 2: What will it be? My baseline expectations, you get the centre part of the current Grip scaled up a bit to fit the new Joy-Con, no more "wings", the grips are built into the new Joy-Con. But what I WANT? Oh, what I WANT, is for the grip to BE a piece of technology. In the box, a charging grip, with a headphone jack, small, but comfortable wings that add onto the new grips, and the ability to transform. Press the unlock button on the back, fooooolld it out, and you can slot your Nintendo Switch 2 into it for more comfortable on the go gaming. But that's not all. Fold it out a little less, pop in the console, and now you have handheld tate mode. Pop out the controllers and it's a tate mode stand! Prop it up normally and it's a CHARGING stand! Put your console in the dock, unfold the new "Origami Powered Grip", let's call it, and slot in your phone for a trackpad, or a mic input, or menu selection, whatever you like.

Pie in the sky? Sure. Possible? Absolutely. Do I expect everything I just said? Probably not. Do I expect a BIT, just, one or two things? I sure want to...

Would t239 be capable of VR experiences like quest 3? I was thinking on buying one, but if Nintendo makes a VR headset I would have to sell it xD
Tegra T239 would absolutely be capable of VR experiences, and it's likely that like Nintendo Switch, there will be an official "VR" mode. However, like Nintendo Switch, it's a safe bet this will be minor, come later, and not be on the same level of interactivity as the quest. It would be more like an immersive stereoscopic view than a true VR experience.

If you want VR, right now, and don't mind Meta as a company, the Quest 3 is 100% the best option. It's the biggest VR player at the moment.

Last edited:
I don't think what you first said applies for the eventual comparison being discussed, PS5 has a deadline like every other console before it. Now, for the next gen, you're also aware that AMD embracing accelerated upscaling essentially means we're going to get games that are going to be upscaled from relatively low resolutions (perhaps to run varying degrees of pathtracing), right? It significantly decreases the leeway an hypothetical Switch 3 will have to perform acceptably, and that's without any other concerns like CPU... It is absolutely an impediment for the future.
I disagree, the higher the ceiling, the more room for scalability. we're already seeing fully path traced games on hardware that isn't advertised for it and be "playable"

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom