• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

MP4 can be a switch 1 game, just like BotW

That's what I'm saying.

MP4 in my view is most likely a cross-generation game (like BOTW). There is going to be both Switch 1 and Switch 2 versions.

What I'm saying (that I think you're missing) - I don't see Nintendo announcing MP4 as a Switch 1 game (with no hint/mention of Switch 2) during a January or February Direct.

Then Nintendo later announces Switch 2 and says "oh btw Switch 2 will have MP4 too, enhanced Switch 2 version". The Switch 1 MP4 preorders aren't going to be happy.

I see it more likely MP4 release date is going to be announced at same time (or after) Switch 2 is announced.

I at this point, I am entrenched in the following timeline:

Reveal January-March (Just a quick "Hey this is coming soon"
Blowout in June
Release September-October
I honestly think we won't hear about the next console until 2nd half of next year. Maybe at the Nintendo investor meeting, they reveal they are working or planning to release a new system in 2024 by April.

My speculation of time frame:

Console Reveal - 2nd Half June/July
Presentation + Hands On - Late August/Early Sep
Release - November

Why wouldn't they be? I see no reason why cross gen games shouldn't be single-SKU, Xbox style.
Yeah, if they're doing single SKU.

I'm not entirely sure they'll advertise MP4 for Switch 2 (a perfect game to showcase Switch 2 graphical capabilities) but not have a separate Switch 2 SKU for that. Advertising the heck out of MP4 graphics on Switch 2, but using Switch 1 SKU and have everybody download a big patch on day 1?

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
theresachange-dumband-dumber.gif

Another Code: Recollection just got an overview trailer. Feels a bit early for it unless they're clearing the Januay schedule for something.
I mean, company will be off starting next week until something nearing Jan. 8 week... game will be available just one week after with reviews and launch trailer - makes sense to have both demo and overview by now

That's what I'm saying.

MP4 in my view is most likely a cross-generation game (like BOTW). There is going to be both Switch 1 and Switch 2 versions.

What I'm saying (that I think you're missing) - I don't see Nintendo announcing MP4 as a Switch 1 game (with no hint/mention of Switch 2) during a January or February Direct.

Then Nintendo later announces Switch 2 and says "oh btw Switch 2 will have MP4 too, enhanced Switch 2 version". The Switch 1 MP4 preorders aren't going to be happy.

I see it more likely MP4 release date is going to be announced at same time (or after) Switch 2 is announced.
They wouldn't really need it to be "cross gen" in the traditional sense. They could just have it be a Switch 1 cart that has Switch 2-specific enhancements via a firmware update.

They wouldn't really need it to be "cross gen" in the traditional sense. They could just have it be a Switch 1 cart that has Switch 2-specific enhancements via a firmware update.
Yeah. Concernt alluded to that too.

IDK. I feel like Nintendo would want to do a separate Switch 2 SKU for MP4, one that doesn't require day 1 update/patch. I guess I could be wrong.

Yeah, if they're doing single SKU.

I'm not entirely sure they'll advertise MP4 for Switch 2 (a perfect game to showcase Switch 2 graphical capabilities) but not have a separate Switch 2 SKU for that. Advertising the heck out of MP4 graphics on Switch 2, but using Switch 1 SKU and have everybody download a big patch on day 1?
That isn't how Xbox did it, not sure why we'd expect Nintendo to do it like that. Temporary box art can use the Switch boxart template, then be updated to include the cross-gen design when it's revealed.

As for patches? My opinion is get used to it lol. NG Switch is hoing to have SO MANY patches, optimisation or otherwise, but they coild put both versions on the one Game Card... Like Xbox does, when both versions fit!

While having seperate SKUs on the eShop is entirely meaningless.

Yeah. Concernt alluded to that too.

IDK. I feel like Nintendo would want to do a separate Switch 2 SKU for MP4, one that doesn't require day 1 update/patch. I guess I could be wrong.
That is not what I was alluding to, and seperate SKUs are not advantageous in marketing.

Why wouldn't they use it to flagship their cross gen efforts, "buy just one copy and you'll get the best experience whether you play on Switch 1 or Switch 2". The console strategy is frankly far more important for cross gen games than the marketing for a single game- but when moreso when single SKU cross gen is actually good for marketing.

I mean, company will be off starting next week until something nearing Jan. 8 week... game will be available just one week after with reviews and launch trailer - makes sense to have both demo and overview by now
I believe review code has been or will soon be distributed, too. These trailer drops typically align with code delivery.

It is supported by the API.

Not a guarantee of anything - the API can support features the hardware doesn't enable.

But I have a really hard time imagining them not enabling it.
Not just posting for keeping up with the gatekeepers, but I can TOTALLY see Nintendo skipping out on HDR. Nintendo ALWAYS leaves something (relatively good) on the table... and HDR seems prime for the leaving. Nintendo will never have a full-featured release. <SMH>

I will fistfight miyamoto if there's no Atmos support
Ok Batman, we see you
It has nothing to do with the gpu even.

The Switch oled is fully capable of HDR in portable and docked (in theory). So is the Nvidia shield powered by the same chipset.

edit: "It made sense for Nintendo to not enable HDR in the original Switch in 2017 despite the chipset supporting it. But in 2024 and beyond, doesn't seem like the right move."

The V1/2 dock doesn't support HDR or 4k output. The oled dock supports both.
The Tegra X1 featured in the Switch and the Shield can do HDR for things like video, but they come at a performance penalty for games. Nvidia added HDR capabilities without a perf penalty from Pascal or Turing onward, but the switch would only really make good use of it from videos on YouTube or Hulu or Crunchyroll (if that supports it).

A 100$ difference is pretty wild for just a oled screen. Even 50$ is a bit too much if they don‘t add other things (more storage, higher capacity battary).
….its an OLED screen though, why would it be close in price to that of an LCD?

I'm not sure how much more power efficient 6nm is vs 7nm TSMC (maybe it's the same as 3nm vs 4nm), but having an OLED Screen, a bigger battery, and few other things to lower the power draw could make it substantial enough boost to battery life.
There's no power efficiency improvements with TSMC's N6 process node. The only improvement TSMC's N6 process node has over TSMC's N7 process node is 18% higher logic density.
Any efficiency gains will come from more efficient memory, storage, DDIC, screen, components, etc.
I don't know if there are more efficient RAM modules Nintendo can use until the formal introduction of LPDDR6 at 2026 at the earliest since LPDDR5X has no power efficiency benefit over LPDDR5 outside of using RAM modules fabricated using newer process nodes ([here and here] and here).

Because there are more hit songs about September than any other month.
September….
School opened again, it’s time…
Set the alarms and wake early, don’t cry…
I’m walking to work, the sky is gray…
The clouds are pouring on my face…

AND MY F-BEEEEEEEEEP-UCKING UMBRELLA BROKE AGAIN !

I believe review code has been or will soon be distributed, too. These trailer drops typically align with code delivery.
If I am remembering right, FE Engage codes were sent out early to mid December last year as well. I dont recall if they did an overview trailer that early.

Another Code: Recollection just got an overview trailer. Feels a bit early for it unless they're clearing the Januay schedule for something.
The game comes out in mid January & the next Direct likely won’t be until February, they had to do it now.

It already happened with the switch
The Switch 1 was initially announced in October, which gave people time to get excited. The situations aren’t the same.

The Switch 1 was initially announced in October, which gave people time to get excited. The situations aren’t the same.
There was no active marketing going on between October 2016 to January 2017.

That really hurted Switch sales

Switch went on to be one of all-time best selling console ever.

The game comes out in mid January & the next Direct likely won’t be until February, they had to do it now.

bffr, that didn’t start to have marketing until January.

There was no active marketing going on between October 2016 to January 2017.

That really hurted Switch sales

Switch went on to be one of all-time best selling console ever.
bffr, that didn’t start to have marketing until January.
Maybe not heavy marketing, but to say there was none whatsoever is a lie when we had stuff like the Jimmy Fallon Switch demonstration. With all due respect, it just comes off as hoping that the Switch 2 comes out as soon as possible. And while I understand that, we need to be realistic.

Even the Switch 1’s marketing schedule was a bit on the fast side with 4.5-5 months, though that was mainly because of Nintendo needing to replace the Wii U ASAP. That isn’t an issue anymore, so Nintendo has less of a reason to rush the Switch 2 out than before. But don’t worry, the time will fly by quickly going by how fast 2023 went.

I mean, Nintendo hasn't typically released their consoles in November, although it makes sense to do so.
Maybe recently, ie the switch and the 3DS, but the Wii U, Wii, DS were all November. It was also when they were directly competing. And every other time they’ve aimed to release new models around the H2 period, close to November.

Maybe not heavy marketing, but to say there was none whatsoever is a lie when we had stuff like the Jimmy Fallon Switch demonstration. With all due respect, it just comes off as hoping that the Switch 2 comes out as soon as possible. And while I understand that, we need to be realistic.

Even the Switch 1’s marketing schedule was a bit on the fast side with 4.5-5 months, though that was mainly because of Nintendo needing to replace the Wii U ASAP. That isn’t an issue anymore, so Nintendo has less of a reason to rush the Switch 2 out than before.
If we are going to be like that then the marketing starts March 2015 when Nintendo announced Nx.

IMO a window between Sep ~ Oct 2024 would fit well for the new hardware
I can't see they releasing in November for some reasons

One important consideration regarding the Switch 2 launch date that I haven't seen mentioned by anyone is that Nintendo will have to subsist on their current revenue streams until that date. Their primary revenue stream is still the original Nintendo Switch ecosystem which is currently in decline YoY, and this decline will be readily apparent in the coming year since there is no realistic possibility that the 2024 release schedule to match this year's revenue potential. Any title in Nintendo's portfolio that could plausibly match Zelda or Mario (during the same year as the movie no less) would be expected to target the Switch 2 specifically (i.e.: the next Smash/AC/MK is not coming out for Switch), and the remaining Switch titles that are either known or rumored about (e.g.: MP4/FE) would be targetting an existing audience that already has a Switch rather than driving new Switch sales. There are no major multimedia initiatives (non-video game stuff) planned for next year, and I doubt Nintendo would be hiding such initiatives this close to 2024 when they've just announced the Zelda movie further down the road.

In other words, Nintendo is expected to make less money in 2024 than in 2023 before the Switch 2 launches. I highly doubt that Nintendo would be caught blindsided by this forecast - it's a pretty obvious conclusion when considering what came out in 2023. However, it's still worth mentioning since most of the predictions being made in this thread doesn't seem to take this into consideration. Obviously, there's other considerations to consider like production schedules, but I believe Nintendo would want to launch the Switch 2 sooner rather than later. I personally don't see the Switch 2 launching any later than August - 2/3 of the year is a really long time to go for a dry spell.

One important consideration regarding the Switch 2 launch date that I haven't seen mentioned by anyone is that Nintendo will have to subsist on their current revenue streams until that date. Their primary revenue stream is still the original Nintendo Switch ecosystem which is currently in decline YoY, and this decline will be readily apparent in the coming year since there is no realistic possibility that the 2024 release schedule to match this year's revenue potential. Any title in Nintendo's portfolio that could plausibly match Zelda or Mario (during the same year as the movie no less) would be expected to target the Switch 2 specifically (i.e.: the next Smash/AC/MK is not coming out for Switch), and the remaining Switch titles that are either known or rumored about (e.g.: MP4/FE) would be targetting an existing audience that already has a Switch rather than driving new Switch sales. There are no major multimedia initiatives (non-video game stuff) planned for next year, and I doubt Nintendo would be hiding such initiatives this close to 2024 when they've just announced the Zelda movie further down the road.

In other words, Nintendo is expected to make less money in 2024 than in 2023 before the Switch 2 launches. I highly doubt that Nintendo would be caught blindsided by this forecast - it's a pretty obvious conclusion when considering what came out in 2023. However, it's still worth mentioning since most of the predictions being made in this thread doesn't seem to take this into consideration. Obviously, there's other considerations to consider like production schedules, but I believe Nintendo would want to launch the Switch 2 sooner rather than later. I personally don't see the Switch 2 launching any later than August - 2/3 of the year is a really long time to go for a dry spell.
Man try going 2 full years on a dry spell. FeelsBadMan

I think it is considered but I don’t really think it that important. Their current revenue streams should be able to hold them for FY25 Q1/2 to which then will be made up for in FY25 Q3/4. The key point here is those two quarters not be overly draining, if they even are, & even then I don’t think it really matters once the Switch 2 ball starts rolling.

If we are going to be like that then the marketing starts March 2015 when Nintendo announced Nx.

It's not marketing to announce you are working on a project. Literally showing that product with a full blown reveal of the concept and form factor is marketing. It's unreal to suggest Switch marketing didn't start in Oct 2016. They literally revealed the whole console then.

The Wii was an overclocked GameCube, no way it could do a reasonable 720p/1080p in games, so an HDMI port would have only given a 480p signal or a (poor) upscale.
Worse, The Wii couldn't even do true 480p 16:9 widescreen. Just 4:3 480p with an option for "widescreen" mode where you would have the TV stretch out a 4:3 480p image to 16:9.

If this system is to release in Sept - Nov 2024, then man i still really hope we get a Q1 reveal/teaser, i just need for Nintendo to acknowledge this thing is real because waiting until like May is going to be pure torture

The Tegra X1 featured in the Switch and the Shield can do HDR for things like video, but they come at a performance penalty for games. Nvidia added HDR capabilities without a perf penalty from Pascal or Turing onward, but the switch would only really make good use of it from videos on YouTube or Hulu or Crunchyroll (if that supports it).
But it could have just had a slight upclock to compensate no?

Media are getting review (Another) codes really soon. It usually aligns

If this thread doesn't want YouTubers to use this hidden information, it can simply not post it at this point.
Don‘t bite the hand that feeds you.

It is one thing talking in a Rumor video or in a Podcast that on places like Famiboards XY was rumored. And I don’t think that it should be an issue to paraphrase green box stuff that is shared here. But taking small bits of info (as your own) and making huge Clickbait Videos out of it is not very nice. It only serves the YouTuber themself and adds nothing to the discourse.

I get that people here then don‘t want to share anything anymore when everything what they say gets blown up this much when it actually was intended for not concrete speculation. The conclusion shouldn‘t be blaming this thread but that people aren‘t being able to take rumors as what are. Which is just sad because it gives something that is supposed to be fun (at least IMO) a more toxic angle.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom