• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

To be clear, I could see Nintendo telling their investors that they’ll release the Switch’s successor in the upcoming fiscal year this November. But the actual reveal of the Switch 2 (I.E. similar to the Switch 1 reveal video we got in October 2016) likely won’t be until March 2024. As such, the Switch 2 mention to investors in this scenario wouldn’t be substantial enough to upend Switch 1 holiday sales.
I feel like you're really downplaying the significance of Nintendo mentioning Switch's successor. That would set the entire gaming community into motion. YT content will change, our discussions here would shift, etc.

To be clear, I could see Nintendo telling their investors that they’ll release the Switch’s successor in the upcoming fiscal year this November. But the actual reveal of the Switch 2 (I.E. similar to the Switch 1 reveal video we got in October 2016) likely won’t be until March 2024. As such, the Switch 2 mention to investors in this scenario wouldn’t be substantial enough to upend Switch 1 holiday sales.
Wouldn't that count as insider trading if it's not public? Nintendo would be giving their investors advanced knowledge that would likely influence further investment into the company.

Wouldn't that count as insider trading if it's not public? Nintendo would be giving their investors advanced knowledge that would likely influence further investment into the company.
also would leak very fast

If we have learned one thing about the Saudis, it's that they aren't very good at cover ups

It won't be THAT significant. Everybody knows a successor is coming.
It's a milestone we've been waiting for. Official acknowledgement from Nintendo. Maybe you would think it's insignificant, I think it's significant.

Yes, the average discussion would change when that happens.

It's a milestone we've been waiting for. Official acknowledgement from Nintendo. Maybe you would think it's insignificant, I think it's significant.

Yes, the average discussion would change when that happens.
Would it? If Nintendo says "we are working on a NG switch", we would still be speculating the same stuff as we have been doing for ages.

It won't be until the actual unveiling of the system until discussion would change.

It's probably asked many times here, but which launch titles would like to have on the new system?

I would love to see and begin with a whole new Mario Kart, MK8D is a 2017 port from a 2014 game. Sure, it got de BCP with returning tracks and characters, but I really want something fresh to begin with on the new system and series. I hope Ninty sees the series as a potential launch title, due to the sales of MK8D.

A 2nd game I'd love to see is Red Dead Redemption II, with RDR1 being on Switch, a port of the second game as a Launch title that is also a great open world game, would be very nice. Although I have played it on PC, I would buy it again, just to play as Arthur Morgan on the go. I really can imagine a vacation trip to the rocky's while playing this around a campfire.

When I think of Launch games, I think of Wii Sports and 1-2-Switch, to show the gimmicks, and that's great and all, but I barely see the gimmicks in the future being a thing. That's why I would love to have a Mario Party as a Launch title, instead of Wii Sports or 1-2-Switch. Mario Party is mostly enjoyed in a group, as is Wii Sports, but having the Mario brand in there would attract more people I assume. A title you can enjoi with others, while you can play Mario Kart in your alone time. (or even with a group aswell)

I really think it's time to bring a modern Street Fighter onto Nintendo platforms, and I would like to see Street Fighter 6 being on there. The game is already out on other consoles, in which I think porting it over to the NG would cause no problems. I don't like to see Street Fighter II again, tho.

As my last pick, I would like to see Phasmophobia being a launch title. It made me very curious why it was skipped in the consoles trailer, and wondered if it would be better to go on the NG instead. Phasmo is the only horror game I really like, and having it on the go would be very cool. Another title I would be playing with on vacation in a hotel or so.
A nice meaty JRPG. Yakuza 8, Persona 3 Reload or 5 Royal, FF7 Remake, something like that.

I personally wouldn't be expecting much from TGS leaks. Don't think there would be too many new details compared to what we got from Gamescom, what with it being so soon after and all.

Would it? If Nintendo says "we are working on a NG switch", we would still be speculating the same stuff as we have been doing for ages.

It won't be until the actual unveiling of the system until discussion would change.
The discussion would probably shift to timing of the reveal and launch when that happens.

It's information we don't have right now (yet). The announcement could very well not happen in November.

If we get announcement in November, even if they don't announce when reveal and/or launch would be, we at least can narrow down things a bit.

"Nothing special here" really isn't the flex some people think it is.

I assume he meant telling them during the investors meeting, with that information being available to the public (well, weirdos like us who enjoy going through that sort of stuff) like it always is on their IR website.

Just remembered that Fire Emblem Warriors back in 2017 had Performance and Quality modes. Would be nice to see these options come back for Switch 2 games

It's probably asked many times here, but which launch titles would like to have on the new system?
Only retail $60 titles:

• new 3D Mario
  • Wave Race
  • COD
  • FIFA/NFL
  • NBA 2k
  • Ridge Racer 8
  • Various Ubisoft high budget titles (Assasins Creed, Avatar. The Crew)
  • Street Fighter VI
  • FFVII Remake Part 1
  • Wu Long

Is that not what we've already been doing?
Yes, without context such as Nintendo's announcement or mention to investors. I'm not sure why that is even a question.

If (and that's a big if) Nintendo announces or mentions the successor in November, that makes H1 suddenly much more likely. That shifts the discussion quite a bit.

You understood just fine. 😚

Imagine if they do the announcement like they did (I think it was for the 3DS) on a totally bland white paper "Nintendo will be revealing their next console thing next year or whatever. Uh... be excited, I guess ?"

Just remembered that Fire Emblem Warriors back in 2017 had Performance and Quality modes. Would be nice to see these options come back for Switch 2 games

If i remember correctly Ryza 3 on Switch has a performance and quality mode too, i suppose it depend on the type of game and the developers :unsure:

Imagine if they do the announcement like they did (I think it was for the 3DS) on a totally bland white paper "Nintendo will be revealing their next console thing next year or whatever. Uh... be excited, I guess ?"
That's the thing. It's actually Switch 2 we're waiting for. ❤️

Yes, without context such as Nintendo's announcement or mention to investors. I'm not sure why that is even a question.

If (and that's a big if) Nintendo announces or mentions the successor in November, that makes H1 suddenly much more likely. That shifts the discussion quite a bit.
Most people in this thread believe in a H1 release, anyway. So discussion would mainly remain the same. Nintendo has given us so much time to speculate we've speculated the H1 scenario to death.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be exciting, but just "NG switch" is coming won't give us much to chew on.
You understood just fine. 😚
Be civil! I'm just saying what I think in this situation 🙂

Yes, I’ve started my speculation a few pages back. I believe the camera is for mixed reality similar to what Quest 3 and Apple Vision Pro are doing. Allowing the Switch to have another way to Switch. Handheld, TV and Mixed Reality when you still want that big screen but either don’t have the space for it (like in Japan) or someone is using the big screen. The controllers are already built for this function and all developer games can support it without having to do anything special software wise.
Yeah I think you are on to something, going from two "switches" to three makes sense. Nintendo has been into the AR stuff so I could see some games having social functions with the camera too?? Tomodachi or Street Pass return?

It would be very significant imo. I think devs would start blabbing about specs immediately which would blow the thread up even more, we'd get so many more leaks, publishers might soft announce games etc. The amount of times we've gone up 10 pages in a day after someone reiterated information we already knew is comical. Scale that to the wider gaming sphere and the gaming community would explode.

Most people in this thread believe in a H1 release, anyway. So discussion would mainly remain the same. Nintendo has given us so much time to speculate we've speculated the H1 scenario to death.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be exciting, but just "NG switch" is coming won't give us much to chew on.
Well, I think it gives us more to chew on. It's not like we have much else to talk about here, lol.

For me, it narrows down the potential reveal/launch window some. I don't think they'd make the announcement a full year away from a full blowout presentation and launch (those two events are bound to be fairly close to each other, like a few months apart).

I think @darthdiablo is correct here. We might not change what we speculate on, but this is literally a community of people whose only purpose is to speculate on the next hardware. We're hardly representative.

This video from Arlo is him saying, "you know what, I think Switch 2 discourse is okay now, we're not going to get burned." Here is the first twitter reply

Yeah, after 3 years of this crap in general, not buying it until Nintendo steps out and makes an unambiguous announcement.
The vast majority of the replies are variations of "lol, no." Plus there is a huge fraction of gamers who simply aren't engaging at this level at all. It's like saying "We all know a new Samsung Galaxy is coming out." Sure, its true, and it won't change anything about gadget nerds speculating about it when it gets announced, but there is a difference for when it shows up in every major publication that someone consumes, that every mom walking into a Best Buy is going to get told "you know the next one is coming out soon, right?"

Even a tiny announcement of a launch window, even if its "in the next 12 months" will be blood in the water in terms of public attention. It might not change the nature of the speculation, but it will change the number of speculators, by multiple orders of magnitude.

And as we've seen from when membership in the thread spikes right after news drops, it will probably change speculation too, as the number of people joining the discussion quickly outpaces the existing communities ability to educate them on 18 months of technical data.

Sony talked about PS5 a year before release despite PS4 still selling very well. Same with Xbox. Switch is in it's 7th year, acknowledging next gen isn't going to cause a healthy, declining platform to drop like a rock. There's no strong evidence to suggest this.
investor/shaholder of Nintendo: Nintendo Switch is quickly aproaching it seveth year in the market, i want to know if theres any plans for a successor and when we gonna see it?
Furukawa: we are currently focusing in how to maximinise software/hardware sales for the holiday season, we intent to share plans about the future of Nintendo Switch in a apropriate time, that conversation is how i imagine how Nintendo will tacke Switch sucessor to it investors

Would they? Devs still would not be allowed to talk about it. If anything we might get rumblings about what studios have gotten dev kits.
Just like how devs/publishers weren't allowed to talk about the botw 4k60fps demo, the load times, the matrix ue5 demo etc. When information is out there people with sources go poking around and devs will start yappin because there's so much chaos that it doesn't even matter where the source is from. If nintendo mention new hardware then that means floodgates are open. I don't think it's an unpopular belief.

I think @darthdiablo is correct here. We might not change what we speculate on, but this is literally a community of people whose only purpose is to speculate on the next hardware. We're hardly representative.

This video from Arlo is him saying, "you know what, I think Switch 2 discourse is okay now, we're not going to get burned." Here is the first twitter reply

The vast majority of the replies are variations of "lol, no." Plus there is a huge fraction of gamers who simply aren't engaging at this level at all. It's like saying "We all know a new Samsung Galaxy is coming out." Sure, its true, and it won't change anything about gadget nerds speculating about it when it gets announced, but there is a difference for when it shows up in every major publication that someone consumes, that every mom walking into a Best Buy is going to get told "you know the next one is coming out soon, right?"

Even a tiny announcement of a launch window, even if its "in the next 12 months" will be blood in the water in terms of public attention. It might not change the nature of the speculation, but it will change the number of speculators, by multiple orders of magnitude.

And as we've seen from when membership in the thread spikes right after news drops, it will probably change speculation too, as the number of people joining the discussion quickly outpaces the existing communities ability to educate them on 18 months of technical data.
Yeah that's true, you make fair points. News outlets would of course report on it, but in terms of giving us new information to speculate on, it wouldn't be much. Like it wouldn't tell us anything about launch titles, specs, etc. We'd be going round in circles again.
Just like how devs/publishers weren't allowed to talk about the botw 4k60fps demo, the load times, the matrix ue5 demo etc. When information is out there people with sources go poking around and devs will start yappin because there's so much chaos that it doesn't even matter where the source is from.
Well yes, because that was a different scenario. That was dev chatter because they just first heard the news. I don't think a confirmation of future hardware existing would give them reason to start leaking stuff

Yeah that's true, you make fair points. News outlets would of course report on it, but in terms of giving us new information to speculate on, it wouldn't be much. Like it wouldn't tell us anything about launch titles, specs, etc. We'd be going round in circles again.
A decent portion of the discussion in this thread has been about the timing of announcement/reveal/blowout/launch (or announcement/blowout/launch, depending on how Nintendo wants to handle the rollout).

It is information. A tangible, cold, hard fact. Yes, we will still be going into circles, but smaller circles at that.

Well yes, because that was a different scenario. That was dev chatter because they just first heard the news. I don't think a confirmation of future hardware existing would give them reason to start leaking stuff
You do realise every gaming news site with developer contacts will be crawling through their studio windows trying to get info on whether or not they are developing games for it, whether their friends in the industry are developing games for it, deep info on the system etc etc. Things will be said, things will be reported on. That's just how it will be. I mean we knew about the Switch's clockspeeds before the 2016 was done lol.

I refuse to believe people who primarily use discord as means of contact will respect NDAs (I'm roasting myself too so it isn't mean)

Last edited:
It doesn’t though. You decided it did before even seeing proper gameplay and refused to change your stance when it became clear you were wrong. It’s a massive improvement over what Switch had before.

Only 2 mins in and I shut the video. This looks horrible. They somehow managed to make FC play worse than FIFA did. Nothing beats PES/WE. The PES/WE of old obviously.

Quoted by: SiG
The date is the 30th December 2023, and within the thread, there is high levels of optimism that the Switch 2 will be announced before the end of the year. Several users claim an announcement is more likely in 2023 than 2024…

Still, the date of the Switch 2 reveal draws nearer.

Last edited:
willing to bet my house the next 3D Mario will be $70
Vouchers are where it's at.*

I got my TOTK for the price of $45 (got $100 worth of eShop credit for $90 at Costco). I'd probably get 3D Mario the same way.

* - worth it only if you're okay with digital purchases rather than physical, and you have NSO subscription already.

Last edited:
I don't see how this scenario is supposed to lessen any potential impact of the announcement. It's not like these investor briefings are secret.
France so desperate for Switch 2 leaks
That probably has more to do with CUDA being the de facto standard for several types of non-gaming GPU workloads. I doubt gaming is even a factor.

Vouchers is where it's at.*

I got my TOTK for the price of $45 (got $100 worth of eShop credit for $90 at Costco). I'd probably get 3D Mario the same way.

* - worth it only if you're okay with digital purchases rather than physical, and you have NSO subscription already.
Vouchers are great value but I'm a physical idiot so I can never take advantage of them

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom