• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

Yep.

Demand spiked so hard in March 2020 that they sold almost all the stock they had and put them in a difficult situation. All their production was on preparing next-gen and their inventory levels for the PS4/XB1 were inexistant.

Eh, this is where the argument becomes acedemic and theoretical. Shortages doesn’t prove demand strength. I don’t buy the argument that Microsoft and Sony could have sold millions more ps4’s and xboxone’s in 2020 had they just saturated the market with them. You can’t say that for certain.

Q4 2020 (which includes March) 1.5 million ps4’s sold. That’s almost half what Sony usually sells in q4.

Q4 2019 - 2.6 million
Q4 2018 - 2.5 million
Q4 2017 - 2.9 million
Q4 2016 - 2.3 million

Q1 2020 (April-June) 1.9 million ps4’s were sold. Again that’s almost half of the usual average.

Q1 2019 - 3.2 million
Q1 2018 - 3.2 million
Q1 2017 - 3.3 million
Q1 2016 - 3.5 million

The argument is that 2020 would have exceeded these usual sales numbers had they pumped 4 million units every quarter? Nah, I don’t believe that at all. You can’t assume that to be true.

And even IF this were actually true, it doesn’t mean the ps4/one lifespan was “lengthened” in any way. The shortages of the ps5/Series now doesn’t mean it’s going to last longer than 7 years either.

I agree, 2020 saw a huge increase in overal software sales…people were buying/playing bunches of games…but again, that doesn’t mean the lifecycle of the hardware is now lengthened. People buying a bunch of consoles March-June of 2020 doesn’t mean the Switch/ps4/one lifespan was “artificially lengthened”

the source for NSS using FSR is the game outright stating it. there's no reason to assume anything else

So I've watched a number of podcasts since the Nintendo Switch Sports play test and I was wondering were Nintendo ever this secretive in the past with these? Not wanting outlets to talk about their experiences like quoted below, I wasn't aware of this during the Splatoon, ARMS or even Mario Tennis days...

The Online Play Test software is under development and might not be reflective of the full version of Nintendo Switch Sports. You may experience unexpected behaviors or errors while playing.
By downloading and participating in the Nintendo Switch Sports Online Play Test, you agree not to publicly share any details from this online play test, including on your social media channels.
The Online Play Test may be terminated without notice. Session times may also be shortened or be extended without prior notice.

So I've watched a number of podcasts since the Nintendo Switch Sports play test and I was wondering were Nintendo ever this secretive in the past with these? Not wanting outlets to talk about their experiences like quoted below, I wasn't aware of this during the Splatoon, ARMS or even Mario Tennis days...

No they have not been this “secretive” for their previous demos. However, since this seems more like a private test then it stands to reason the rules would be different from what they did in the past. Not uncommon with private tests like this.

I don't remember any time where they asked people to restrict posting detail. but it's clear from this they didn't even seem to bother with trying to stop it. I guess they did this to keep bad videos from being seen as representative of the final product

I had thoughts while I was winding down for bed (high as fuck) about the wind down of the other eshops. I still believe that eshop for Switch will cross generations and purchases for the OG Switch will carry over to Switch 2 (the window for thinking of it as a 'pro' (which was dumb to me anyway) is over), but we've now lost Wii and DSi, and we're about to lose 3DS and Wii U. All but the Wii really want dual screens to function, and all but the DSi are probably too much for the OG Switch to emulate.

So the thought that came off of that is that when the Switch 2 comes around, it would be nice if records of the previous generation eshop purchases make it to the current eshop, and the Switch 2 includes the capability of doing Wii U like video streaming using an optional wireless receiver dock.

I still don't know what that looks like exactly, but initial thoughts are to have a USB-C port on the dock to add a wireless receiver.

Nintendo then has to go to the rights holders for any games they want to make available in emulation (or the rights holders have to approach them) and get some sign off as the original contracts probably limited the games to the eshops on their native systems.

Based on contract, purchasers of said games on earlier systems could either:

1. Just get the game on Switch 2 as emulated.
2. Pay a small fee for the upgrade.
3. Get the opportunity to buy it again (Fuck you EA and Activision and probably Nintendo)

Also, Nintendo would have to put out some soft of Wii kit to support a USB sensor bar and such, but that's a minor thing. They could probably just put it on the top bezel of the Switch 2 and assume that the sensor bar is on the bottom of the TV.

Just my 2¢. It feels like the cost of adding the capability for future expansion is pretty minor as far as things go, and the ability to sell disc-only Wii games and Cart only DS games again on the eShop is a pretty big upside.

I had thoughts while I was winding down for bed (high as fuck) about the wind down of the other eshops. I still believe that eshop for Switch will cross generations and purchases for the OG Switch will carry over to Switch 2 (the window for thinking of it as a 'pro' (which was dumb to me anyway) is over), but we've now lost Wii and DSi, and we're about to lose 3DS and Wii U. All but the Wii really want dual screens to function, and all but the DSi are probably too much for the OG Switch to emulate.

So the thought that came off of that is that when the Switch 2 comes around, it would be nice if records of the previous generation eshop purchases make it to the current eshop, and the Switch 2 includes the capability of doing Wii U like video streaming using an optional wireless receiver dock.

I still don't know what that looks like exactly, but initial thoughts are to have a USB-C port on the dock to add a wireless receiver.

Nintendo then has to go to the rights holders for any games they want to make available in emulation (or the rights holders have to approach them) and get some sign off as the original contracts probably limited the games to the eshops on their native systems.

Based on contract, purchasers of said games on earlier systems could either:

1. Just get the game on Switch 2 as emulated.
2. Pay a small fee for the upgrade.
3. Get the opportunity to buy it again (Fuck you EA and Activision and probably Nintendo)

Also, Nintendo would have to put out some soft of Wii kit to support a USB sensor bar and such, but that's a minor thing. They could probably just put it on the top bezel of the Switch 2 and assume that the sensor bar is on the bottom of the TV.

Just my 2¢. It feels like the cost of adding the capability for future expansion is pretty minor as far as things go, and the ability to sell disc-only Wii games and Cart only DS games again on the eShop is a pretty big upside.
costs wouldn't be minor, since it won't just be monetary costs, but effort costs. save for DS and 3DS games, which could be emulated, games can just be natively ported (or in the case of Wii, emulated). any need for added hardware makes this a nonstarter. the number of people making the effort to upgrade their games wouldn't make it worthwhile

I'd be amazed if Nintendo went back to dual screen games. Even for emulation of DS and 3DS it's not needed; just look at DS Virtual Console on Wii U, which offered a bunch of ways to arrange both DS screens on a single Wii U controller screen. Meanwhile, I don't see Wii U games being supported on any new Switch model, so many of them have been ported to Switch that it would basically just be a Nintendoland emulator. And as much as I love Nintendoland, I don't see that happening.

The extra cost and manufacturing complexity of two screens also don't make sense especially given the current supply issues and it doesn't fit the hybrid platform they are targeting,

A Switch with a detachable second screen for docked mode would be worth it solely for Kid Icarus Uprising.

Nothing else though.

Honestly, a dual screen switch would be even worse than a dual screen Wii U.
There is a possibility they could consider a 2nd screen on the dock but it may make more sense to have a transparent dock and use the docked Switch's screen as a complement to the TV. That said, it would be very limited , maybe something like showing the status of your Switch or have it be the home screen while you're playing the game. Given how people dock the Switch though I think Nintendo would have plenty of data telling them having a 2nd screen on the dock wouldn't work either.

Yeah, after the Wii U any ideas of a 2nd screen is DOA from Nintendo's perspective.
That said if they are still investigating low latency casting to the dock/TV perhaps that's the angle they are going for, allowing an undocked switch to cast to a dock

Fun fact, ray traced particle physics is coming to UE5. One of those things I mentioned could be ray traced for accuracy or continuity a couple times

Eh, this is where the argument becomes acedemic and theoretical. Shortages doesn’t prove demand strength. I don’t buy the argument that Microsoft and Sony could have sold millions more ps4’s and xboxone’s in 2020 had they just saturated the market with them. You can’t say that for certain.

Q4 2020 (which includes March) 1.5 million ps4’s sold. That’s almost half what Sony usually sells in q4.

Q4 2019 - 2.6 million
Q4 2018 - 2.5 million
Q4 2017 - 2.9 million
Q4 2016 - 2.3 million

Q1 2020 (April-June) 1.9 million ps4’s were sold. Again that’s almost half of the usual average.

Q1 2019 - 3.2 million
Q1 2018 - 3.2 million
Q1 2017 - 3.3 million
Q1 2016 - 3.5 million

The argument is that 2020 would have exceeded these usual sales numbers had they pumped 4 million units every quarter? Nah, I don’t believe that at all. You can’t assume that to be true.

And even IF this were actually true, it doesn’t mean the ps4/one lifespan was “lengthened” in any way. The shortages of the ps5/Series now doesn’t mean it’s going to last longer than 7 years either.

I agree, 2020 saw a huge increase in overal software sales…people were buying/playing bunches of games…but again, that doesn’t mean the lifecycle of the hardware is now lengthened. People buying a bunch of consoles March-June of 2020 doesn’t mean the Switch/ps4/one lifespan was “artificially lengthened”
I am not doing hypothetical, here are basically what the PS4/XB1 did in the US before stock dried up :

March

"Hardware spending in March 2020 grew 63% when compared to a year ago, to $461m. Nintendo Switch hardware sales more than doubled when compared to a year ago, while PlayStation 4 and Xbox One each grew by more than 25 percent."

April

"Dollar sales of PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Switch each increased by more than 160 percent when compared to April 2019."

So yeah, with sales being multiplied by more than 2,6 times YoY, they would have sold amazing if supply followed.

I think a Switch with a clam shell 2 screen setup would work wonderfully. I want 2 screen gaming to come back.
Problem with dual-screen gaming is it kinda leaves systems in the gutter after support ends.

We are barely going to get 3DS games ported over because a number depended on the dual-screens.
And same thing for the Wii U.

It's unsustainable

costs wouldn't be minor, since it won't just be monetary costs, but effort costs. save for DS and 3DS games, which could be emulated, games can just be natively ported (or in the case of Wii, emulated). any need for added hardware makes this a nonstarter. the number of people making the effort to upgrade their games wouldn't make it worthwhile
Remember, the cost of any of this initially is a USB-C port on the dock + whatever antenna/transmitter is needed to take the compressed output of a GPU and transmit it for dual screen games and/or support for Wiimotes and what that entails - depending on what possibilities they want to leave open.
I'd be amazed if Nintendo went back to dual screen games. Even for emulation of DS and 3DS it's not needed; just look at DS Virtual Console on Wii U, which offered a bunch of ways to arrange both DS screens on a single Wii U controller screen. Meanwhile, I don't see Wii U games being supported on any new Switch model, so many of them have been ported to Switch that it would basically just be a Nintendoland emulator. And as much as I love Nintendoland, I don't see that happening.
Not disagreed. Most worthwhile games from the Wii U were ported already.

I do think however that DS and 3DS games are best played with two screens. I have two spare 2DS XL units new in box just for the purpose of being able to run DS and 3DS games long into the future. I just wish that they had bigger screens, and frankly would be happy to rebuy some older titles if I could play them on my TV with the bottom screen controls on a handheld like the Switch. I feel like the only methods I have for that are with an emulator on a steam deck connected to a monitor or TV, or if Nintendo supported a mode for doing so on a future Switch system. Same goes for some of the loveliness that was on the Wii. Doubly so since what seems to be the hardest part of supporting Wii games (other than the emulation) well is the Wiimote, and Nintendo is fairly uniquely positioned to do that well.

I think a Switch with a clam shell 2 screen setup would work wonderfully. I want 2 screen gaming to come back.

Not really what I'm looking for. I agree that it's difficult to sustain unless you continue to put out systems with dual screens.

DS/3DS emulation working on the Switch should be trivial, a plastic attachment meant to hold the device sideways and attachment rails for the Joycons is all that would be required for a verticle screen and you could easily split the screen into 2 virtual screens with touch screen support and Joycons at the sides.

DS/3DS emulation working on the Switch should be trivial, a plastic attachment meant to hold the device sideways and attachment rails for the Joycons is all that would be required for a verticle screen and you could easily split the screen into 2 virtual screens with touch screen support and Joycons at the sides.
Yeah, Wii U is the more complicated one, although DS/3DS Emulation would be portable mode exclusive

Not to mention most games that rely on cameras are boned

Seeing as we have Miitopia and Rune Factory 4, 3ds games, ported, it can be done. Granted those don't rely a lot on the 3ds features.

Seeing as we have Miitopia and Rune Factory 4, 3ds games, ported, it can be done. Granted those don't rely a lot on the 3ds features.
Yeah, it's just a matter of the hassle development wise to port.

And for most cases it would require a remaster rather than a port

I don't know about XBDE.. The upgraded models are fantastic, but it's like halfway between a Wii game and a Wii u game. XB2 has much better lighting and textures. And whatever AA they put, it made me forget it was a 720p docked game. Cause it actually looked great. XBDE on the other hand was a sight for sore eyes in large field areas such as the bionis shoulder

That's literally what XbDE was, except replace Wii u with switch cause it was on switch.

Monolithsoft had to decide early which assets they were going to upgrade and which would be left as Wii assets. This includes future connected as they used the same shoulder environment found on disc but cut from game on Xenoblade wii as the basis.

Left it halfway between a remake and a remaster.

Having Dual Screen on Switch doesn't make too much sense, on other hand some kind of AR/VR integration/support IMO wouldnt be surprise.

Honestly I just want them to experiment with software. Release some generic hardware input wise, and then try all you want with software. At least when you miss fire you don't cripple 4 years of software output.
I think they'll release something really similar to the switch, with maybe a new twist like a camera for AR and New funky captors for whatever. They'll use this New feature to advertise the machine and differentiate from the switch, the talk about power won't be really important aside from the "now 4k".

They can't afford to try some funky hardware with weird controls now they just have one line of devices.

Sometimes I wonder if it was possible for OLED model to try to downshrink Switch SoC to 12nm so they can upclock GPU frequency on portable to the one on docked. Basically have a fixed GPU Flops counts instead of various modes.

In consequence, all games would look the same as with portable or docked. By running in docked settings, almost all switch games would hit 720p resolution at portable and would have look fantastic on the OLED screen

Sometimes I wonder if it was possible for OLED model to try to downshrink Switch SoC to 12nm so they can upclock GPU frequency on portable to the one on docked. Basically have a fixed GPU Flops counts instead of various modes.

In consequence, all games would look the same as with portable or docked. By running in docked settings, almost all switch games would hit 720p resolution at portable and would have look fantastic on the OLED screen
Pretty sure they could do that with every mariko switch if they wanted. Even the lites.

The Mariko Switch released in 2019 already is on 12nm.

Yeah, Wii U is the more complicated one, although DS/3DS Emulation would be portable mode exclusive

Not to mention most games that rely on cameras are boned
Not difficult as well. I believe that you can play 3/DS games on a hacked Switch in emulation. Maybe not 3DS, but the Switch 2 should have the grunt to do it. Most of the work would be on the graphics side anyway since it's not too expensive to convert AARCH32 on AARCH64.

I think Wii, DS, and 3DS are probably the best places to put any investment. My thinking is that they should put in the seeds so that things like dual screen gaming work, and that Wiimote support are easily doable.

Not difficult as well. I believe that you can play 3/DS games on a hacked Switch in emulation. Maybe not 3DS, but the Switch 2 should have the grunt to do it. Most of the work would be on the graphics side anyway since it's not too expensive to convert AARCH32 on AARCH64.

I think Wii, DS, and 3DS are probably the best places to put any investment. My thinking is that they should put in the seeds so that things like dual screen gaming work, and that Wiimote support are easily doable.
Problem is all the core titles on the Wii, DS, and 3DS outside of Wii Sports didn't depend on the dual screen-motion technology.

They all were loved DESPITE the gimicks.

So yeah...

Problem is all the core titles on the Wii, DS, and 3DS outside of Wii Sports didn't depend on the dual screen-motion technology.

They all were loved DESPITE the gimicks.

So yeah...
do you mean core as in demographic? because there weren't too many of those on the Wii and DS. what was there is easily translatable to sticks/buttons. everything else was built around the gimmicks, but they're also more easily replicable on the Switch. you're probably better off just making new versions of those games too

I'm surprised there's no new Carnival Games

I believe it’s already on 12nm.
That's not true. NIS works as a HLSL/SPIR-V shader just like FSR.
I could have sworn it was only available to NV hardware.
Well this entire thread is predicated on the reporting that Nintendo is making a diss console, so I don’t know if that argument holds water.
This entire thread is focused on future Nintendo hardware, that includes any potential fallout and their available options. While the focus on the moment is about the DLSS model, we cannot simply look at it in a vacuum and expect them to always be tied to NVidia, it makes less sense to be like that and Nintendo is very careful with this.

I could have sworn it was only available to NV hardware.
NIS is open source, it even has a SDK for Implimentaion (Which Lossless Scaling already implimented)

What you're thinking of is the driver-level implimentaion of NIS which is NV Hardware exclusive because it's part of the NVIDIA drivers now

So it working on any game in full screen mode is a NVIDIA Exclusive thing, like how RSR is a AMD Exclusive Driver-Level FSR

NIS is open source, it even has a SDK for Implimentaion (Which Lossless Scaling already implimented)

What you're thinking of is the driver-level implimentaion of NIS which is NV Hardware exclusive because it's part of the NVIDIA drivers now

So it working on any game in full screen mode is a NVIDIA Exclusive thing, like how RSR is a AMD Exclusive Driver-Level FSR
So what's the main difference/advantage of using FSR over NIS?
NIS claims to have better upscale image quality, but I'm guessing FSR has been out in the market for far longer?

Last edited:
As far as popularity goes, here are some relevant links:

I see many games in the top 100 of each that would be great candidates for emulation.

Even Super Paper Mario. It was a really fun game, even though it wasn't what fans of the series wanted.

L

So what's the main difference/advantage of using FSR over NIS?
NIS claims to have better upscale image quality, but I'm guessing FSR has been out in the market for far longer?
Well, it's more like NIS has better upscaling from a lower base resolution.
When breaking past the 1080p however the differences between NIS and FSR start to get smaller.

Not to mention some games would take more kindly to NIS versus FSR

Quoted by: SiG
Well, it's more like NIS has better upscaling from a lower base resolution.
When breaking past the 1080p however the differences between NIS and FSR start to get smaller.

Not to mention some games would take more kindly to NIS versus FSR
So FSR has no main advantage of NIS? This boggles me even more as to why they settled for it over NIS for their open source solution.

To keep Nvidia at arms length, as they say?

So FSR has no main advantage of NIS? This boggles me even more as to why they settled for it over NIS for their open source solution.

To keep Nvidia at arms length, as they say?
FSR came out first and also does seem to play even better than NIS at "Ultra Quality" upscales near 4K iirc.

Also NIS's sharpening filter may be a bit more aggressive

Also the time between NIS's release and now likely is still too small to see more games come out with NIS over FSR as the games that have FSR likely have chosen FSR already or have DLSS which they likely are choosing FSR to make it "Fair" for AMD users?

Wish Nintendo could implement NIS/FSR at a OS level like Valve is doing with Steam OS for Steam Deck. Just to toggle it on or off at settings so that games can look a tad sharper

Wish Nintendo could implement NIS/FSR at a OS level like Valve is doing with Steam OS for Steam Deck. Just to toggle it on or off at settings so that games can look a tad sharper
Is FSR at an OS level on Steam OS though? From what I understand, Steam OS is a Linux distro.

Also FSR as a global implementation would mean UI elements will be affected, and oftentimes you don't want that and want the UI to be displayed at native resolution.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom