• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Previews Final Fantasy XVI Preview Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am seriously considering picking up a PS5, this game is going to be one of the greats for sure!

Every time I see more, it just keeps looking better and better.

I might not get it at launch but I really wanna play it.

Some footage that shows more of the world/areas from PAX.

Oh my god

It looks amazing. Jaw-dropping.

Yeah, this has a good shot at being GOTY
I called this a long time ago! Final Fantasy XVI is gonna be GOTY 2023. Maybe it won’t win at TGA, but really, what’s gonna be the competition? TotK, Starfield, Spider-Man 2? The only one that has a shot out of those three at beating XVI at TGA, in my opinion, is Starfield.

And anyway who cares about TGA, XVI is GOTY in my heart.

Oh my god

It looks amazing. Jaw-dropping.

I called this a long time ago! Final Fantasy XVI is gonna be GOTY 2023. Maybe it won’t win at TGA, but really, what’s gonna be the competition? TotK, Starfield, Spider-Man 2? The only one that has a shot out of those three at beating XVI at TGA, in my opinion, is Starfield.

And anyway who cares about TGA, XVI is GOTY in my heart.
Wait, what? You don't think Tears of the Kingdom has a good shot at FFXVI?

Wait, what? You don't think Tears of the Kingdom has a good shot at FFXVI?

Starfield, Tears, and Spider-Man 2 all have an equal shot at this stage. Probably a surprise game we haven’t played as well. I’m personally more excited to dig into Starfield at this point than any of the others. If Tears were on better hardware there’d be no contest for me tho - I want a little more visual spectacle in my next open-air title.

I’m assuming Red is just all in on this games flavor of world and fantasy, and not actually saying the other titles aren’t potential contenders.

Edit: perhaps not?

I think TotK will be seen as too much of a retread to win GOTY. Same with Spider-Man 2.

I think it’s far too early to make that call. If anything I’m starting to think TotK will feel nothing like BotW.

Last edited:
That exploration trailer is exactly what I wanted to see. It's the first time I felt hyped for the game.

I think TotK will be seen as too much of a retread to win GOTY. Same with Spider-Man 2.

Some might say Final Fantasy hasn’t had a top tier game since the PS2 and that the series peaked on PS1. It’ll have its work cut out to be better than a sequel to arguably the greatest game of all time :) .

Just feels like it has been a long time since Final Fantasy was a big deal now. Maybe it’s time for the series to get back into that elite group again.

That's completely fine. I was just curious. Love seeing diverse opinions, especially on a Nintendo forum.

Personally as much as people hate to hear it, I think Zelda bias is very real and would make it hard for TOTK to not win GOTY, or at least be a contender.

I’m assuming Red is just all in on this games flavor of world and fantasy, and not actually saying the other titles aren’t potential contenders.
Yeah I mean really it’s just this.

My hype for XVI is through the roof, and maybe I’m being a little hyperbolic. I’m just some guy who doesn’t know anything, and also none of these games are out yet! Of course TotK, Starfield, and Spider-Man 2 all have a legitimate shot at GOTY at TGA. In fact, they all might have a better shot than XVI, because I donno, it seems weird to think that they would give that award to a Final Fantasy game, doesn’t it?

Edit: perhaps not?

I think it’s far too early to make that call. If anything I’m starting to think TotK will feel nothing like BotW.

This is a separate topic, but just to touch on this: of course you’re right that it’s too early to say whether TotK will be seen as a BotW retread. That’s just my prediction I guess, at this point in time based on what we’ve seen so far.

That's completely fine. I was just curious. Love seeing diverse opinions, especially on a Nintendo forum.

Personally as much as people hate to hear it, I think Zelda bias is very real and would make it hard for TOTK to not win GOTY, or at least be a contender.

Stop. Your preferred game not winning does not mean people are all unfairly biased.

At best I’ll concede that GotY is a bit of a popularity contest, with a preference for AAA presentation, but all of the games stated above are on pretty equal footing in that regard. If anything Zelda is the underdog, now looking like a title developed on 15 year old hardware. If it wins, it’s probably because they’ll have created a fantastic and innovative experience (again).
_________

Edit: Let’s get back on track …

The game looks fantastic. I’m so close to buying a PS5 just for this.

Last edited:
Final Fantasy XVI is one of my most anticipated games in a long time and of course I got it preordered. These new videos from today just look absolutely shockingly good in my opinion. As far as Tears of the Kingdom, my hype isn't really there as of yet but I fully believe that when we are allowed to see that game that it could really surprise us in a big way. So I remain hopeful for Zelda as well.

It seems like we’re gonna keep getting more new info as we get closer to release. We can expect “information on in-game RPG elements in April”.

My God... I don't even know what to say anymore.

Guess I'll just make (clearly) hyperbolic comments from now on!

65MJodn.png

FPbCMzo.png

I think this is pretty accurate - I don't think direct sequels win GOTY nearly as often as the original game does, unless it's doing something very new and original, or is especially mind-blowing. And while TOTK certainly could be both of those (we have no idea yet), it's entirely possible that it'll be seen as "really good, but still too similar to BOTW" to get the award. Same thing with Spider-Man 2, agreed. Whereas Starfield and FF16 both have the advantage of being entirely new and different experiences.

Of course, all this is completely dependent on the games being great - Starfield might end up being good but 'just' "Skyrim in space" and buggy, FF16 has its fair share of doubters already, etc.

So it is pretty pointless to even think about right now, even if it is fun!

The new trailer is tremendous. Extremely hyped for this game. May - July are absolutely bonkers this year.

The new trailer is tremendous. Extremely hyped for this game. May - July are absolutely bonkers this year.
They really are, and this is coming off of one of the best February-Marches in years for me personally. Even if post-July is “lighter” it’s looking like a contender for the best year since 2017 (for me personally, across all platforms).

They really are, and this is coming off of one of the best February-Marches in years for me personally. Even if post-July is “lighter” it’s looking like a contender for the best year since 2017 (for me personally, across all platforms).
There’s a good handful of undated scheduled for 2023 games like Spider Man 2 (seemingly certain given the celebrity voice actor slip) and Alan Wake 2 that if they make it could make this a legendary year. Wild to think Metroid Prime 4 has its first decent chance of release too…

June is going to be amazing. FF16 PS5. SF6 Steam Deck. Etrian Odyssey Steam Deck. Loop8 Xbox. Katamari Switch. Sonic Origins Plus PS5. Ghost Trick Switch. Story of Seasons Steam Deck. Rain Code Switch.

June is going to be amazing. FF16 PS5. SF6 Steam Deck. Etrian Odyssey Steam Deck. Loop8 Xbox. Katamari Switch. Sonic Origins Plus PS5. Ghost Trick Switch. Story of Seasons Steam Deck. Rain Code Switch.
I forgot that June is both Ghost Trick AND RAINCODE. Dang. I have a lot of visual novel-y games that are piling up, I still want to get to Space for the Unbound and Paranormasight sometime, too.

I forgot that June is both Ghost Trick AND RAINCODE. Dang. I have a lot of visual novel-y games that are piling up, I still want to get to Space for the Unbound and Paranormasight sometime, too.
Both of those rule. Space for the Unbound has a Japanese physical if you care as well.

The new footage is mind-blowing. Final Fantasy is what got me into video games (along with Kingdom Hearts) and it's so nice to see some confidence again after FFXV and the FFXIII trilogy being so wonky.

I'm so glad I put in for five days off from work to play this.

We have a dedicated thread deserving of this much SHADE. (I'm joking around @Scrawnton please don't kill me ;P)

This new trailer seals the deal for me: (I must have said it already but) I absolutely love the art direction of the game. Just so, so, so elegant.
Part of me hopes someone at Square Enix saw my thread.

watched max's video. this is pretty funny in hindsight
My thoughts exactly! It sounds more like an action game with some tacked on stat points that don't really affect anything (maybe they change some damage multipliers or something, but it really doesn't seem in depth at all).

Admittedly I only saw Max's video and parts of Easy Allies' video, so maybe they just didn't focus much on those aspects, plus they believe all that what they played is from early in the game so maybe it gets deeper...

I might play this if the rumoured gay party member turns out to be well executed. Otherwise, I really have no interest in the game.

i don’t have the context for this cause i just found out about the new previews. tldr for max’s video?
it's looking to be a great action game. the rpg-ness remains to be seen, but so far it's pretty light. the early quests are whatever fetch quests/kill some enemies for some minor dialogue. though Max enjoyed running around teh more open area the most

Honestly I'm just excited for this game since it looks like it's the first Final Fantasy since 12 to not have development issues. I think it shows, too. There's a cohesive vision to the aesthetic, design, and story that's been in all of the trailers that I feel Final Fantasy has lacked.

I hope this game is as good as it seems to be, and puts Final Fantasy back on top.

Honestly I'm just excited for this game since it looks like it's the first Final Fantasy since 12 to not have development issues. I think it shows, too. There's a cohesive vision to the aesthetic, design, and story that's been in all of the trailers that I feel Final Fantasy has lacked.

I hope this game is as good as it seems to be, and puts Final Fantasy back on top.
This is a really good point, considering how many problems every game since... X? Has had. FF12 definitely did too with the whole Matsuno situation.

It's not looking like what I was really hoping it would be way back before reveal, but at the same time it's looking like it might be a good game regardless, so I'm still pretty pumped! And with that lack of dev issues and being polished right out of the gate, I'm optimistic.

This is a really good point, considering how many problems every game since... X? Has had. FF12 definitely did too with the whole Matsuno situation.

It's not looking like what I was really hoping it would be way back before reveal, but at the same time it's looking like it might be a good game regardless, so I'm still pretty pumped! And with that lack of dev issues and being polished right out of the gate, I'm optimistic.
Yeah it's kinda crazy to think about. 12-15 have all had major development issues, all of it coming to a head with 15. There are people who have never been around for when Final Fantasy was putting out consistently great games.

I actually quite like 15 (I always say it's the greatest 6/10 game I've ever played LOL) but I'd be lying if I said that the game - and the ones before it - didn't have major issues.

Just spent maybe 20 minutes looking at people’s clips and previews and dang. This looks so good. It will also be the first Final Fantasy I won’t play when it comes out since I discovered the series 23 years ago! Starting to kill me a little bit lol

"Stages" and "Arcade mode" in a mainline Final Fantasy is wild to me. Sounds pretty good though.
they were already going this way with FF7R, which also had NG+ as well as essentially stage select with the chapter select feature

"Stages" and "Arcade mode" in a mainline Final Fantasy is wild to me. Sounds pretty good though.
Yeah that’s… just weird to think about. I’m fine with not having a world map and being more linear, I mean I love FFX and FF13. But somehow just calling them “stages” makes something in my brain recoil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom