• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Previews Final Fantasy XVI Preview Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This looks so damn good! I'm so excited because I love Yoshida and the music is going to bang too.
BUT for me, I hope there is a difficulty setting because I historically play single player turn based RPG's and am not good at action RPGs.

This looks so damn good! I'm so excited because I love Yoshida and the music is going to bang too.
BUT for me, I hope there is a difficulty setting because I historically play single player turn based RPG's and am not good at action RPGs.
from the Gematsu article I linked in the OP

Finally, the last clip showcases the game’s “Timely” support accessories, which make certain aspect of the games easier for players who are not good at action games. These are completely optional, and can be equipped or removed at any time. While the video only showcases the “Ring of Timely Focus” and “Ring of Timely Strikes” accessories, the full list is as follows:

• Ring of Timely Focus – Temporarily slows time before an incoming attack, allowing you more time to react.
  • Ring of Timely Assistance – Removes the need for you give Torgal battle commands manually.
  • Ring of Timely Strikes – Execute deadly combos by only pressing Square.
  • Ring of Timely Evasion – Automatically dodge most incoming attacks.
  • Ring of Timely Healing – Automatically use potions when HP drops below a certain threshold.

I didn’t like what I’ve seen in IGN.

This is a gaiden game. Not a FF game… if they really wanted to go bayonetta style, why not make a proper final fantasy stranger in paradise in-house?

Having some minutes to kill, i skipped though the Easy Allies video. Disclaimer: I had absolutely zero interest in getting this game so far.

And ... all i see is DMC with some adaptions in FF paint.

Guess i can ignore FF in the future, XV already felt like the last straw for me, such a shit game. But this looks like they're not even trying anymore to make a compelling JRPG FF.

Thank god that Team Asano exists.

I have some reservations about the UI which seems to be taken from a PS3 game, but damn, these previews are hyping me more than any trailer released so far. This is gonna be so good.

I am for sure very interested in this game, but I'm honestly a bit worried about the focus on massive spectacle. Huge set pieces don't hit hard if it's constantly one after the other. RPG's are all about the quiet moments for me. Here's hoping the game is well-paced with a lot of downtime and breathing room between the big battles.

Gameplay looking good, but I can see framerate issues in the EZA footage there with some of the alpha effects.

not gonna lie, it feels like a watered down DMC. like there's no weight to anything. not sure what to think.

It feels so jarring to me. FF is in my top 3 favourite game series of all time, but this leaves me stone cold. I’m just happy Rebirth’s coming soon after..
aye, off of FF7, this is just missing the oomph

Looks amazing. The sooner every game becomes Devil May Cry the better.

There's a gif from Team America that perfectly describes my reaction to every game becoming like DMC.

I don't post it because some might find it too disgusting.

You know which one i mean.

It's so so weird I love SE mid budget games.. best in business.
But I'm just not getting their AAA games. They feel like Michael Bay movies to me :p

There's a gif from Team America that perfectly describes my reaction to every game becoming like DMC.

I don't post it because some might find it too disgusting.

You know which one i mean.

Yeah, it should be like 33% Devil May Cry, 33% Dark Souls, and 33% boomer shooter.

Hmm. Was itching to see the combat. It looks fine enough, but lacks a bit of weight. Hoping it's something they tweak for the final game. Still a jump over FFXV, so I'll take it.

Combat aside, I really hope they nail the story this go around. The trailers have looked promising, and I have faith given FFXIV's story. The big moments look to have the spectacle befitting of a Final Fantasy game, but I hope they have lots of quieter moments. That was something I loved about XV.

this will likely only be me but this looks like a complete mess.
It feels so jarring to me. FF is in my top 3 favourite game series of all time, but this leaves me stone cold. I’m just happy Rebirth’s coming soon after..
yeah i'm with you; what's funny is i'm sure the two games won't be that different after all.

God what is it with all those excessive particle effects and swirly wirly whooshes being plastered on top of the screen for every single little animation, it looks horrible

It looks cool but I feel they're showing the most boring part of the game, like long dark corridor where you fight monsters and that's it, I really want to see how the world and exploration actually works since that's usually the best part of any good rpg.

yes, as an EGS esclusive /s

ricky-bobby.gif

I think this looks excellent - very excited for it. There's a lot of interesting titbits floating around online about the development of the game, why certain decisions were taken and so on.

I understand why some won't be keen, but this looks like a massive win to me. If they can nail the story and characters, it could be something special.

Looks so good, can't wait.
This + Resident Evil 4 and Street Fighter 6 this year, my PS5 will finally be used for something other than watching DVD and streaming services.

Last edited:
Visually speaking the combat looks extremely busy and barely readable but the dark environments don’t really help here. I need to see more or preferably play it myself but I do hope there’s an option to dial down the effects.

Above is probably the best video I've see on the combat, makes it all pretty clear and it sounds super fun to play.

Agreed on the particle effects in some cases. There's a gif of an Eikon battle and the amount of on screen effects are ridiculous lol.

Last edited:
As a big fan of DMC, I don't understand the point of shitting on that game in relation to FFXVI. Yes, the game is inspired by DMC, to the point of even having the combat designer. But the problems this game looks to have - the incredibly edgy presentation with no degree of subtlety or humor, the protagonist looking like Geralt without any of the charm or wit, etc - aren't problems DMC has at all. And the attempts to not incorporate more traditionally Final Fantasy elements, like party members or ATB, I mean ... the series was obviously heading this direction the moment you got something as mindless as FFXV's combat system, so ...

I'm sure I'll like this game as someone who likes action games more than traditional RPGs, some parts of the combat system look great, but as someone who loves action games this game still hasn't impressed me much so far. The way Square Enix is marketing this game just looks incredibly dry and without substance, combat system aside.

Not feeling it. I want anime bullshit Final Fantasy, not this dark mature stuff. Correct me if I'm wrong but this is the first time in an FF game someone has actually said fuck right? Just doesn't seem right to me.

Clive seems boring, the combat looks okay but not what I want in an FF game, and just the general style on tone of the game isn't for me from the looks of it. Disappointing because I like FF a lot in general and 7 remake is one of my favourite games ever but this just seems to be missing the mark.

I'm interested in this game in a "I like games like DMC, Bayonetta, etc. so I'll probably like this" kind of way. I'm waiting for the PC version though, which could be up to a year away.

The Final Fantasy I knew and loved died back in the 90s. I've already made peace with this fact and moved on.

RPGFan posted a developer interview, and there was one question that seems very relevant to all the talk about how FF is no longer FF, basically.

Den of Geek: You mentioned different eras of Final Fantasy. Is it your hope that Final Fantasy XVI is a new path forward for the franchise? Do you hope that every Final Fantasy game can always be different and always try new things?

Yoshida: Moving forward, we don't want to push the Final Fantasy series in one direction. One thing I remember when I first joined Final Fantasy XIV and took over, the director Kitase-san told me "Final Fantasy is what the creators at that time think Final Fantasy should be, and that is what you should do when creating this game." I really took that to heart, and so I want that to be the same thing creators moving forward can do. What they think is the best thing is what they should make. Because that is what we are doing, creating the best Final Fantasy that we can create. One thing that I noticed working on the series for so long and speaking to fans all around the world is that Final Fantasy gets locked into a certain types. That it has become a niche series in the sense that it's only about JRPGs, or anime characters, or teens saving the world, and that's what all the games are going to be like going forward. Fans were getting locked into the image of what they thought Final Fantasy was. As for me, someone that is going to be 50 years old this year, I know the world isn't all bright rainbows. I know that it can be tough sometimes. So I wanted to create something that felt real not just for my generation, but for the younger generation as well, and show the potential of the series. As to why we went dark fantasy? That's because we all just love dark fantasy! Now I said the fans get locked into certain ideas for Final Fantasy, but this is also true on the development side as well. People in development at Square Enix say "Oh we're making Final Fantasy, we have to make it this way because this is what they did in the past" and so we wanted to show the next generation of developers that you can do anything you want with the Final Fantasy series.

(emphasis by Satsunis over at Era, who i basically stole this post from)

The combat sounds really fun but boy every other part of this game looks unappealing AF (granted, I'm not really an FF fan)

I'm still vaguely interested since the idea of a JRPG with this combat does sound fairly fun by itself, but man this game is doing nothing for me outside that concept

Yeah, I've got mixed feelings. On the one hand, that interview makes a good point that Final Fantasy is malleable enough to be just about anything, and FFXVI doesn't necessarily portend that FF in general is going to go down the route of becoming a series of edgy, violent action games. Looking back, you could also point to FFVII as having a lot more violent and "adult" content than previous games, and potentially representing a new "edgy" direction for the series, but the games that succeeded it like VIII and IX made it clear that they were going to do something different with each entry and not allow themselves to be beholden to any particular tone or style. So maybe FFXVII will be something very different from this.

On the other hand, in the days of FFVII we were getting a new FF every year or two, whereas nowadays it could easily be six or seven years before we see another mainline Final Fantasy. So it's a lot harder now to be invested in the potential of whatever the next one might be. And considering the last mainline FF that I really enjoyed without reservations was 17 years ago, I should probably just stop expecting anything in particular from the new ones, other than the flashy graphics which are always guaranteed.

Visually speaking the combat looks extremely busy and barely readable but the dark environments don’t really help here. I need to see more or preferably play it myself but I do hope there’s an option to dial down the effects.
yeahhhh what a weird first environment to show off for previews.

RPGFan posted a developer interview, and there was one question that seems very relevant to all the talk about how FF is no longer FF, basically.

Den of Geek: You mentioned different eras of Final Fantasy. Is it your hope that Final Fantasy XVI is a new path forward for the franchise? Do you hope that every Final Fantasy game can always be different and always try new things?

Yoshida: Moving forward, we don't want to push the Final Fantasy series in one direction. One thing I remember when I first joined Final Fantasy XIV and took over, the director Kitase-san told me "Final Fantasy is what the creators at that time think Final Fantasy should be, and that is what you should do when creating this game." I really took that to heart, and so I want that to be the same thing creators moving forward can do. What they think is the best thing is what they should make. Because that is what we are doing, creating the best Final Fantasy that we can create. One thing that I noticed working on the series for so long and speaking to fans all around the world is that Final Fantasy gets locked into a certain types. That it has become a niche series in the sense that it's only about JRPGs, or anime characters, or teens saving the world, and that's what all the games are going to be like going forward. Fans were getting locked into the image of what they thought Final Fantasy was. As for me, someone that is going to be 50 years old this year, I know the world isn't all bright rainbows. I know that it can be tough sometimes. So I wanted to create something that felt real not just for my generation, but for the younger generation as well, and show the potential of the series. As to why we went dark fantasy? That's because we all just love dark fantasy! Now I said the fans get locked into certain ideas for Final Fantasy, but this is also true on the development side as well. People in development at Square Enix say "Oh we're making Final Fantasy, we have to make it this way because this is what they did in the past" and so we wanted to show the next generation of developers that you can do anything you want with the Final Fantasy series.

(emphasis by Satsunis over at Era, who i basically stole this post from)
I like the whole "Final Fantasy is what the creators at that time think Final Fantasy should be" just Yoshida's vision of what Final Fantasy does not match mine at all haha.

I don’t think a final fantasy title has ever looked more boring to me . It looks even less interesting than ff15 which is impressive.

Also for the love of god can they make the protagonists look interesting again? Making the protagonist look like a grittier version of the one before him has to be the most boring thing.

This looks so freaking good and fun! As a huge Final Fantasy XV-fan, which is one of the best Final Fantasy in the series, this really makes me want a PS5! I really hope a redesign will show op soon since I refuse to but this 90's router thing Sony's got going on right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom