• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

PlayStation Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (remake Part 2) launching Febuary 29th 2024, is the first PS5 game to use 2 disks.

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH is the second game in the FINAL FANTASY VII remake project.

It’s a completely standalone game that takes Cloud, Tifa, Barret and Aerith out of Midgar and into the wider world. The team embarks on a globe-spanning adventure in pursuit of Sephiroth - a vengeful swordsman long thought to be dead.

You’ll also unravel a gripping story that’s rich with mysteries to uncover, and explore the personal journeys of many party members to discover more about their backgrounds and the events that forged them into the people they are today.

yes, really.

for reference. two PS5 disks is the equivalent to about 200 gigabytes worth of data. while two PS4 disks would have been 100 gigabytes.
i can't imagine they're going to be using all of that space. so it's presumably just to avoid a Jedi Survivor situation where a portion of the data would need to be downloaded off the internet.

it also shows how shockingly fast filesizes have ballooned over the past few years, considering the PS5 was previously able to fit a few games onto a single disk that required multiple on PS4. (Gran Turismo 7, Cyberpunk, and Mortal Kombat 11 were some notable examples of this.)

Early 2024 makes me think Kingdom Hearts 4 in Late 2024/Early 2025 has a quite high chance

😬

Still waiting until the entire FFVII Remake is complete before jumping in. On the PlayStation side, I’ve already gone full digital. I want fewer things unless it’s homebrew or Limited Run Game Boy cartridges then I’m all, “Put that right into my house right now.”

FF7R is absolutely brilliant. No doubt Rebirth is gonna be amazing. Early contender for my 2024 GOTY.

Final Fantasy fans are spoiled and I am here for it.

This definitely got me more hyped than I expected, considering how incredibly medium I found FF7R, but I guess that's not too surprising considering this is the part of FF7 I really like (once you're out of Midgar). It looks gorgeous, and I'm at least partially recovered enough from the brain-fuckery of FF7R's ending that I can (begrudgingly) be onboard with the story being weird now.

That said, my PS5 hard drive is crying at how much space this is probably going to take up

Final Fantasy games shipping on multiple discs?

vC0KnhN.jpg

I couldn’t help but notice a distinct lack of Zach in the trailer. 0/10
Other than the intro news broadcast and that quick ending tease, it seemed pretty focused on being mostly OG-FF7 stuff. Which all looked great! But yeah, I'm assuming Zack will be around somewhere... I need to play Crisis Core before this game, don't I?

Wait, I've got it... original Tifa was killed by Sephiroth and somehow new-Tifa IS Zack! It all makes sense now!

"on 2 discs" has strong "featuring Dante from the DMC series" meme potential, i hope it picks momentum.

Final Fantasy fans are spoiled and I am here for it.

For real .

XVI, VII Rebirth, XIV and other live games still going strongly, Tactics Remaster and IX remake on the horizon...but a large portion of the fanbase is still more concerned with shitting on each other, as usual. Very sad.

For real .

XVI, VII Rebirth, XIV and other live games still going strongly, Tactics Remaster and IX remake on the horizon...but a large portion of the fanbase is still more concerned with shitting on each other, as usual. Very sad.
Final Fantasy XIV new expansion should release early 2024 too ! This is crazy !

Honestly, in 2023 I see a game releasing on 2 disks as a failure in terms of optimization instead of a success in terms of size of game content.
But hey, if it was more cost effective to ship 2 disks over optimizing the game, more power to them. I just wouldn't get this game digital tho lol.

Honestly, in 2023 I see a game releasing on 2 disks as a failure in terms of optimization instead of a success in terms of size of game content.
But hey, if it was more cost effective to ship 2 disks over optimizing the game, more power to them. I just wouldn't get this game digital tho lol.
I have to assume part of the reason the game will be big (GB wise) is probably because the pre-rendered CG cutscenes they'll use here and there during the story will be in full 4K and probably non compressed if they want them to look good.

And this is alongside the high quality assets and textures that will also play a massive role in the increase of the size so at some point there is no amount of optimization that will avoid those huge install sizes.

I have to assume part of the reason the game will be big (GB wise) is probably because the pre-rendered CG cutscenes they'll use here and there during the story will be in full 4K and probably non compressed if they want them to look good.

And this is alongside the high quality assets and textures that will also play a massive role in the increase of the size so at some point there is no amount of optimization that will avoid those huge install sizes.
In the age of AI super resolution, complex shaders and powerful CPUs\GPUs this is simply not true.

Oh definitely. Thing is though, FFVII releasing on 3 disks at the time was sold as an achievement. "The game was so big that it needed 3 disks?!".
This time around, it still feels like they were going for something like that marketing-wise... but I'm not sure it hits the same way.
I can definitely see the game being as big as FFVII remake in terms of content and game time, but the file size just being blown up by uncompressed assets and cutscenes.

(To clarify, this is not a jab at "lazy developers" in any way shape or form. It's most likely a conscious decision, which is legitimate and probably endorsed by marketing... I just don't feel like it has, or should have, the same impact as it did at the time)

that doesnt change the fact that 4k textures and high quality CGI pre rendered cutscenes can still be massive, ai has nothing to do with that.
Of course it does. Assets, including video, can be greatly compressed, with little or no decrease in quality, and decompressed at runtime. Shader algorithms can be used to generate complex patterns from smaller textures instead of storing large 4K textures. AI has been shown to facilitate these even further. It's a matter of priorities when developing the game.

Guys, are you forgetting that FF7Remake was already released on two discs back in the day?
That were PS4 discs, which hold a maximum of 50GB, in contrast to PS5 discs which hold 100GB each.
Also, the physical PS5 version of FF7 Remake was on one disc.

I am just, so happy right now. FFVII is my favorite game of the 90s and FFVIIR is my favorite game of the 20‘s. Y’all don‘t even know what this means to me, and it is EXACTLY what I was hoping for. Thank you, Geoff and Nomura, for making my week.

FF7R was ca. 95 GB on Steam already with all the language packs and 4K textures included and such. If the worldmap/outside-of-Midgar section is supposed to be much bigger/more expansive, I can totally see Rebirth being around 150 GB in terms of size easily. Not that that's necessarily a good thing/practice, but I can see why it'd make two PS5 discs necessary.

Depending on how much of the original FFVII they cover in this, there will be an absolute fuckton of unique art assets. So I can definitely see it taking two discs.

We’ve known for a while they view this as a massive undertaking and don’t want to skimp on anything. FFVII was a massive game.

I guess the real question is, where do they end Rebirth at? We already know that it is a trilogy. Remake only took place in Shrina, which IIRC was a little over half of disc 1. I have to imagine that we get a decent way into disc 2.

I really need to replay the OG game lol.

I guess the real question is, where do they end Rebirth at? We already know that it is a trilogy. Remake only took place in Shrina, which IIRC was a little over half of disc 1. I have to imagine that we get a decent way into disc 2.

I have a feeling this will be impossible to predict until we know the order of some stuff. They said they’re gonna get everything in there, but that the order may be switch around.

Iirc, the end of disc 2 of the original was already almost the very end of the game’s story. Disc 3 just had the fully explorable world with the highwind and the final dungeon/boss/ending. Disc 1 & 2 are the vast majority of the actual story content

Trailer had bits that were obviously North Crater/Cave. I expect it goes up to that point and the 3rd game picks up from there for the rest of the original plot and then veers off into unknown bonkers Nojima/Kitase/Nomura writing territory. Buckle up.

EDIT: To clarify, I mean the first descent into the crater where you turn over the Black Materia, have a Jenova fight, and then Cloud gets pulled into the Lifestream. That's a pretty fitting place to drop the mic.

Last edited:
Trailer had bits that were obviously North Crater/Cave. I expect it goes up to that point and the 3rd game picks up from there for the rest of the original plot and then veers off into unknown bonkers Nojima/Kitase/Nomura writing territory. Buckle up.

EDIT: To clarify, I mean the first descent into the crater where you turn over the Black Materia, have a Jenova fight, and then Cloud gets pulled into the Lifestream. That's a pretty fitting place to drop the mic.

Oh, I'm expecting the final act to be a lot more detailed and drawn out than what we got in the original game. I fully expect to be taken places.

Do we know how long the exclusivity period is for Rebirth? In other words: PC version when? 6 months was the original window for Remake, right?

Oh, I'm expecting the final act to be a lot more detailed and drawn out than what we got in the original game. I fully expect to be taken places.
Imagine if the final entry is like the final disc on PS1 but instead a 30 hour long boss fight over 2 discs on PS6.

Do we know how long the exclusivity period is for Rebirth? In other words: PC version when? 6 months was the original window for Remake, right?
Took them 6 months to release it on Epic Game Store and then another 6 for a Steam release, I'd expect the timeline to roughly be the same here.

I made a summary of all combat changes I noticed if that's interesting to anyone:

- Everyone's talked about this: there are Chrono Trigger-esque dual techs

- There are five blue notches below your ATB gauge. Either you can stock ATB charges or this is the meter for dual techs. We don't see the notches fill up or decrease in any shot so it's unclear how they're generated.

- There is a notch to the right of your Limit Break meter. This notch fills and turns yellow for Tifa and Aerith after they use a dual tech. Possibly you can stock Limit Break charges. Yuffie x Red and Cloud x Barret already have this notch filled in when they're shown using dual techs, though they also don't gain any regular Limit Break meter for using them.

- Red XIII's triangle button skill is called Vengeance Mode.

- Aerith's triangle button skill Tempest is seemingly replaced with a new one called Ward Shift.

- Enemy UI is never visible so we can't see the pressure gauge. Possibly just removed to make the trailer cleaner.

- A red materia now appears on the command menu. This might be a new way of letting the player know a summon is ready instead of the big purple UI block.

- While Cloud, Red XIII, and Barret are the active party fighting outside of Junon, Tifa and Aerith are still seen in the background. Possibly all six characters appear on the field or at least do during battle even if only three are considered active. This could imply we can seamlessly switch characters from the vanguard to the rearguard mid-combat.

EDIT: Thinking about Aerith's new triangle skill. In the first part, wards were field effect rings Aerith could place on the ground. Arcane Ward to grant doublecast while standing in it, and ATB Ward to fill allies' ATB faster. I wonder if Aerith's kit was retooled to place a heavier focus on setting field effects. My guess is Ward Shift either alters the effects granted by wards or it dissipates wards in exchange for replenishing one of your resources.

Last edited:
I’m doing the same thing as the remake.

And skipping the trailers.

Like to see what nonsense they do while playing it instead lol.

Also. Do a concert again. I 2020 killed my chances and I got a refund instead 🫠

Coming from FF7 Remake to THIS is insane. I love Remake to death but this is another level of greatness. Good Lord.

The whole Zack stuff continues to be a big, fat(well, actually more like very well toned) Question Mark :LOL:

That looked hawt.

Square please discount Intergrade now that Part 2 is coming out so that I may give you my money. Thank you.

I don't want to be a downer or sound conspiratorial but that release date looks to me like:
1. They are trying to puff up their financials for the fiscal year (ends March 31st) as the majority of sales will probably happen within that 1 month post-launch period as is standard for JRPGs
2. If this has the standard 6 month exclusivity window, they'll be able to announce the PC port around TGS 2024 which allows them to keep talking about the game later in the year.
2a. Bonus points if this positions them to have ports of the two FF7R installments ready to roll in the Switch launch period sometime in 2024

Back
Top Bottom