• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

PlayStation Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (remake Part 2) launching Febuary 29th 2024, is the first PS5 game to use 2 disks.

This is the hypest shit.

Cosmo Canyon, Midgar Zolom, the Weapons, Vincent, Junon, Rufus... how freaking massive is this thing, really?!

Blown away.

I'm one part excited over what the game has in store: Combat looks even better than in the first game, lots of minigames, the various Chocobos...
But I'm also one part dreading what new bloaty sidequests they put into this massive thing to make it worth the fullprice :LOL:

So, I never played the original.
I bought the remake (part 1) and love the visuals, initially liked the gameplay and got till Chapter 4 or 5 I think, Roche had appeared (long blonde hair on motorbike, maybe name is wrong) and I lost interest, found it boring somehow.

The trailer for the next part looks stunning so I'm wondering if I should give it a go again.
Worth it?

I mean... I don't get it?
1. They're launching every game when it makes sense strategically, aren't they? Current financials or not. Usually rushed releases come out at the end of March, not of February.
With their current stock situation it would be most beneficial to them to get a big release by end of their fiscal year, as shareholders weren't impressed by XVI's performance. FF7R-2 is likely to meet or exceed that game's performance (assuming the 7 audience turns up again and weren't turned off by the first installment) which will help with restoring shareholder faith in the company.

Late February gives them ample opportunity for the sales to come in and also some wiggle-room if they need to a short delay for any last minute showstoppers.

2. Yeah but they talked about 16's PC ver. before any exclusivity was up. It sure doesn't feel like they aren't allowed to do the same for 7.
Yes, but that was mostly because they first showed a version of the trailer stating there was an exclusivity window before scrubbing it later that day. If they hadn't done that they would've kept a lot quieter about it, and S-E/Yoshi-P definitely made attempts to put that cat back in the bag on multiple occasions:

This is some tea leaves reading shoptroll ;P
It sure is!

I can't imagine this running on the Switch 2 with that file size unless the Switch 2's far more powerful than expected or it's some sort of cloud version lmao
Power has little to do with storage capacity. If Nintendo wants to throw 512 GB of internal storage into Switch 2 they absolutely could, it just may not make financial sense to do so.

Switch 2 version would be targetting lower resolution (assuming we're at 720p native again for handheld) and likely a weaker system so you can cut back on things like texture size which is a major contributor to the install size bloat that's plaguing a lot of AAA titles.

I bought the remake (part 1) and love the visuals, initially liked the gameplay and got till Chapter 4 or 5 I think, Roche had appeared (long blonde hair on motorbike, maybe name is wrong) and I lost interest, found it boring somehow.

The trailer for the next part looks stunning so I'm wondering if I should give it a go again.
Worth it?
I'd say so. The game has many flaws but it's still a really fun time with some of the coolest moments I've seen in a game. It's also really important to set up the general idea of what they're going for with Rebirth and Part 3.

Though, despite the developers claiming so (because they'd never claim otherwise), it's probably best you play the original first and then start back up with Remake. There's some scenes that are very sloppily done if you don't have good knowledge of the original; it really made me to regret not playing the original before the Remake. Though I plan to fix that before Rebirth comes out.

It's 2 UHD Blu-Ray discs.

It's not coming to Switch 2 ever.
DOOM 2016 installs to ~70 GB on the PS4. It's ~22 GB on the Switch.

FF7 Rebirth isn't two full UHD Blu-Ray discs, it's one full one plus whatever was left over. The range is anywhere from 100 GB to 200 GB. Maybe it's closer to 200, maybe it isn't actually that close. Regardless, you don't get this big without ignoring easy ways to cut back on file size that barely impact the overall quality. Sacrifices could likely very easily be made to get the size under control... if desired, which is the important part.

It's just a matter of whether SE determines the effort of making those sacrifices to be worth it, especially in light of whatever exclusive contracts Sony's offered them. The file size is not an impassable barrier, it'll just make a port cost a little more time (and therefore money).

(All this notwithstanding that we know very little about the capacity of the Switch 2's storage solutions - physical media, internal storage, or expandable storage.)

Worth it?
The combat gets better as the game goes on.

But it’s also a slog to play as the level design is bad entire way through. Boss battles are great. Story and writing is pretty bad but held together by impressive CG and cinematography, which is enough for some folks.

My Final Fantasy VII Rebirth Prediction based on an OG FF7 spoiler.

Zach will kill Aerith this time. It could be zack being controlled by sephiroth but the portrayal will be Zack killing her.

My Final Fantasy VII Rebirth Prediction based on an OG FF7 spoiler.

Zach will kill Aerith this time. It could be zack being controlled by sephiroth but the portrayal will be Zack killing her.
Absolutely not

If they go that route, it won’t be Zack who kills Aerith, it’ll be Cloud. Cloud is the one who gives the Black Materia to Sephiroth; it’s not a stretch to have him go further in Rebirth. I could see Zack being playable, actually, and Cloud is the final boss of the game.

Absolutely not

If they go that route, it won’t be Zack who kills Aerith, it’ll be Cloud. Cloud is the one who gives the Black Materia to Sephiroth; it’s not a stretch to have him go further in Rebirth. I could see Zack being playable, actually, and Cloud is the final boss of the game.
No matter what happens, I'd hate to be the developers of this game. No matter how good the game or its mechanics are, the game is going to get a lot of backlash from parts of the fan base no matter how they handle the ending.

I wonder if they are going into this knowing some people are going to hate how they handled the story or if they're trying to find a way to get everyone on board with it?

Though, despite the developers claiming so (because they'd never claim otherwise), it's probably best you play the original first and then start back up with Remake. There's some scenes that are very sloppily done if you don't have good knowledge of the original; it really made me to regret not playing the original before the Remake. Though I plan to fix that before Rebirth comes out.
It's kinda surprising that with them comping copies of Remake as a pre-order deal, they're also not tossing in the modern port of the original too.

It's kinda surprising that with them comping copies of Remake as a pre-order deal, they're also not tossing in the modern port of the original too.
Helps with moving more copies of the first game, I suppose. Also bundling the original with the remake would be kind of an odd move, given they insist you don't need to play it anyway.

Absolutely not

I can definitely see a scenario where Zack and Cloud end up fighting each other. But I don't think it'll simply be over Aerith, or even just because of Sephi-possession. It'll be because both of them are on opposite sides when it comes to which one of their timelines becomes the truth.

Sephiroth and Aerith being possibly the only ones that are aware of "The Cycle(tm)", it'd be wild if the reason Sephiroth has been manipulating Cloud this time around, was to insure an instance where Zack survived, and have the possibility of getting two pieces in play. After all, he stands to benefit whether Cloud continues to be his puppet to play things to his liking, or Zack's very existence is a middle finger to the Whispers even more.

Man, if this game can't hit a 90 on Metacritic then I don't think a Final Fantasy game ever will again
Remake is at 89. I think it’s definitely possible that Rebirth gets to 90+ if everything works out, based on the increased scope of this sequel.

Looks incredible, but I feel like they have a much harder job here than with the first.

The part that everyone remembers strongly about FF7 is the Midgar section. It's just an incredible hook followed by well-paced story beats in an evocative and iconic setting with fantastic world-building. Like. a mysterious merc joins a team of terrorists who claim that the city's energy corporation (and de facto government) is actually killing the planet with their reactors. You open with a terrorist attack on a reactor and close that section with another (failed) attack that reveals the true threat to the world. Doesn't get any better than that for immediately grabbing your attention.

But I've played through FF7 at least twice (I think three times) and once you leave Midgar... I really struggle to remember what happened in what order or why. The game undeniably loses a bit of focus once you get access to the world map. And I am always surprised to see Zack in FF7 media because I never remember him being part of the game, so I can't get excited about seeing him here. There are places I remember - Cosmo Canyon, Gold Saucer, the City of the Ancients... but in general it's just a hazy chase after Sephiroth that gets deeply, deeply confusing from a character history standpoint. So many flashbacks, not all of them real, etc etc.

I still can't understand how it all went down, and no matter how many times I read up on it on a wiki it just flies right out of my head again for being unmemorable or overcomplex to me. Whereas the Midgar section is just indelibly ingrained in my memory. And I don't think I'm alone there.

On the positive side... I think that leaves headroom for this part of the remake to be considerably stronger than the original material. Whereas the first remake often felt padded and poorly paced compared to the original (honestly the only flaw it has, imo). Some of that padding was justifiable (the slow part in sector 7 works as world-building) some of it not (the ghost trainyard section getting in the way of a big climax). So hopefully they can nail this aspect of Rebirth.

These guys have earned my trust. Only caveat: I felt like their deviations from the original story were the worst parts of Remake Part 1, so I'm hoping they don't do anything stupid here.

I can definitely see a scenario where Zack and Cloud end up fighting each other. But I don't think it'll simply be over Aerith, or even just because of Sephi-possession. It'll be because both of them are on opposite sides when it comes to which one of their timelines becomes the truth.

Sephiroth and Aerith being possibly the only ones that are aware of "The Cycle(tm)", it'd be wild if the reason Sephiroth has been manipulating Cloud this time around, was to insure an instance where Zack survived, and have the possibility of getting two pieces in play. After all, he stands to benefit whether Cloud continues to be his puppet to play things to his liking, or Zack's very existence is a middle finger to the Whispers even more.

I definitely think mind controlled Cloud will be the Rufus Shinra stage boss of this game with the rest of the party facing off against him, but I do think there will be a "worlds merging" crazy Cloud/Sephiroth fight as the big finale still

I think swaying management to bundle a 70$/80E game for free in a pre-order bundle already took some convincing, including OG7 too was probably pushing it. Moreover, quite frankly, the target audience for the game, a AAA blockbuster through and through, is not gonna care in the slightest for something as old and as unsightly as FF7.

While we're at it I have to admit that I haven't played the original and I that I don't intend to. I'll make do with watching/reading some recap of it, given that knowledge of it seems to be pretty much mandatory.

Should I also add to my homework (lol) Crisis Core and Advent Children? Dirge and the other game (who's name escapes me) too? Any input would be appreciated.

I think swaying management to bundle a 70$/80E game for free in a pre-order bundle already took some convincing, including OG7 too was probably pushing it. Moreover, quite frankly, the target audience for the game, a AAA blockbuster through and through, is not gonna care in the slightest for something as old and as unsightly as FF7.

While we're at it I have to admit that I haven't played the original and I that I don't intend to. I'll make do with watching/reading some recap of it, given that knowledge of it seems to be pretty much mandatory.

Should I also add to my homework (lol) Crisis Core and Advent Children? Dirge and the other game (who's name escapes me) too? Any input would be appreciated.
I wouldn’t watch/play Crisis Core or Advent Children. They have major spoilers for the original game and what’s to come in Rebirth. If anything just recap Remake before the new game and you should be fine.

I wouldn’t watch/play Crisis Core or Advent Children. They have major spoilers for the original game and what’s to come in Rebirth. If anything just recap Remake before the new game and you should be fine.
Oh by the original I meant FF7 (1997) I'm definitely starting from Remake Intergrade. It's just that everyone says you should have previous knowledge of the original game and maybe the extra material from the Compilation to understand and enjoy the remake trilogy to the fullest. Especially since it seems to be a semi-sequel right?

Or maybe you meant to write recap the original FF7? Or should I go blind into Remake?

I really don't get the "You have to play the original before the remake" sentiment on here. There were two or so scenes in the game that were a bit confusing to me but I just shrugged them off and still had a good time with the game, despite zero knowledge of the original (well beyond popcultural osmosis of some things like who Sephiroth is). It's not that hard to understand :D

Oh by the original I meant FF7 (1997) I'm definitely starting from Remake Intergrade. It's just that everyone says you should have previous knowledge of the original game and maybe the extra material from the Compilation to understand and enjoy the remake trilogy to the fullest. Especially since it seems to be a semi-sequel right?

Or maybe you meant to write recap the original FF7? Or should I go blind into Remake?
It's basically like Neon Genesis Evangelion and Rebuild of Evangelion. You dont need to the watch the original to watch Rebuild, but it'll give you some extra layers on whats going on.

I think you can go into Remake blind and be totally fine, or you can just play the original FF7 and jump into Remake, the extra compilation stuff isnt really neccisary.

I also hadn’t played the original game to completion before starting 7R, although I had made several attempts. I watched a few recap videos for the game instead. And I also played Crisis Core before 7R, which I highly recommend. The remaster is a great game, and while the story is convoluted, Zack is a great character and the game provides a good solid knowledge of his background. And there’s an event in 7R that will hit harder for you if you’ve spent time with Crisis Core.

Interesting that people think that you need to have played the original.

If you have, that's great, but I almost think it's better if you haven't. First of all, you won't constantly be comparing the two. It'll all be fresh - and core story is done better here than it was in the original, just due to the better translation / dialogue / fidelity etc.

But more importantly, if it's a choice between spoiling the whole narrative for yourself by youtube video and then immediately experiencing it again - or actually experiencing it from scratch in FF7 Remake, surely just experiencing it from scratch is the correct choice? Until like the last hour or so it's almost the exact same story with the exact same beats. Why spoil it?

I'd argue that once you've played through it once, THAT'S the time to go back and check the original to see what the hell the whisper ghosts in remake were all about. Otherwise you've spoiled the whole thing just to contextualize that one small part of the narrative.

Also - I've never messed with any FF7 expanded universe stuff outside of the base game. If they're expecting people to have that knowledge for the next game I'll be pissed, lol

Interesting that people think that you need to have played the original.

If you have, that's great, but I almost think it's better if you haven't. First of all, you won't constantly be comparing the two. It'll all be fresh - and core story is done better here than it was in the original, just due to the better translation / dialogue / fidelity etc.

But more importantly, if it's a choice between spoiling the whole narrative for yourself by youtube video and then immediately experiencing it again - or actually experiencing it from scratch in FF7 Remake, surely just experiencing it from scratch is the correct choice? Until like the last hour or so it's almost the exact same story with the exact same beats. Why spoil it?

I'd argue that once you've played through it once, THAT'S the time to go back and check the original to see what the hell the whisper ghosts in remake were all about. Otherwise you've spoiled the whole thing just to contextualize that one small part of the narrative.

Also - I've never messed with any FF7 expanded universe stuff outside of the base game. If they're expecting people to have that knowledge for the next game I'll be pissed, lol
considering that you yourself brought up the Whispers, and how FF7R’s entire thing is “changing fate”, I would almost say knowledge of the original game is a full-blown requirement.

considering that you yourself brought up the Whispers, and how FF7R’s entire thing is “changing fate”, I would almost say knowledge of the original game is a full-blown requirement.
I genuinely think the whispers are just a minor metatextual side show to the main narrative. They only feel like "the main thing" if you already know the narrative and are primarily concerned with whether anything will change.

It's as if SE were afraid people who already played the game would be bored if they knew 100% the story would be the same so they created the whispers, and yet they don't actually do very much. We've already seen that Rebirth is going to be hitting all the same main story beats anyway, so what is the point, really, other than continued uncertainty to drive hype? I really wish they would have left them out. The ending of Remake is the worst part about it.

Anyway, to a new player to FF7R, the core narrative intrigue isn't changing fate, it's basic things like:
"Are Avalanche actually the good guys here?"
"What's Cloud's history and relationship with Tifa?"
"Is Shinra aware of the extent of damage they're causing the planet? Is it actually intentional?"
"Who is Sephiroth and why is he appearing in these visions?"
"Oh, they're setting up a love triangle with this new girl. So how's that going to go..."
"Are all the main characters going to survive this crazy mission?"
"Wait, this dog can talk...?!?"

And so on and so forth. All of that is 100% better if you don't know anything about it going in. Ruining all of that just so you're aware of the meta-context of the whispers, how they are specifically there to interact with the player's expectations for how the story should go... the juice just doesn't seem worth the squeeze for me there. I do get why some would argue otherwise - why they would say that this isn't a remake as much as a sequel - but I don't agree. It works just fine as a remake to a new player imo.

I mean, the Whispers are treated as weird and odd in-universe. They didn't bother me at all, I treated them basically the same as those bits of dialogues Prince of Persia throws at you when you're doing something that shouldn't happen in the narrative, like jumping into a pit and dying :D

Plus, someone who hasn't played the OG wouldnt have known the Whispers weren't in the OG.
I've seen lots of reactions of people playing Remake without FF7 just rolling with it, I think they do a good enough job incorporating them.

DOOM 2016 installs to ~70 GB on the PS4. It's ~22 GB on the Switch.

FF7 Rebirth isn't two full UHD Blu-Ray discs, it's one full one plus whatever was left over. The range is anywhere from 100 GB to 200 GB. Maybe it's closer to 200, maybe it isn't actually that close. Regardless, you don't get this big without ignoring easy ways to cut back on file size that barely impact the overall quality. Sacrifices could likely very easily be made to get the size under control... if desired, which is the important part.

It's just a matter of whether SE determines the effort of making those sacrifices to be worth it, especially in light of whatever exclusive contracts Sony's offered them. The file size is not an impassable barrier, it'll just make a port cost a little more time (and therefore money).

(All this notwithstanding that we know very little about the capacity of the Switch 2's storage solutions - physical media, internal storage, or expandable storage.)
NieR Automata is 45GB on PS4 and was reduced to 11GB on Switch.

Rebirth could fit on a 64GB if compressed enough. Now let's see if Nintendo screws up with the carts or not this time.

As someone who didn’t play the OG, I was able to put together the significance of the plot ghosts with all the context they provided. Surely it’s a lot more meaningful if you did play the OG, though.

@Heron Thank you (and everyone else) for providing your insight. Maybe you haven't noticed but the vast majority online discussion recommends having played the original before the Remake saga, not just this thread. I'm glad to be given a different perspective though. That said I'm also looking into FF7 modding and I have to say, applying some straight forward, non-intrusive stuff like the Satsuki Yatoshi upscaling mod(s) might push me over. I don't know honestly haha

@Heron Thank you (and everyone else) for providing your insight. Maybe you haven't noticed but the vast majority online discussion recommends having played the original before the Remake saga, not just this thread. I'm glad to be given a different perspective though. That said I'm also looking into FF7 modding and I have to say, applying some straight forward, non-intrusive stuff like the Satsuki Yatoshi upscaling mod(s) might push me over. I don't know honestly haha
Sorry, if it's a question of PLAYING FF7 before the remake, then... yes! Do that! FF7 is an incredible game on its own, 100% worth playing, and as a bonus you'll then understand the metatextual parts of the remake.

But if it's a question of watching a 10 minute youtube video to "get up to speed" before playing the remake - do NOT do that. Just go in blind.

I was specifically addressing the latter option.

Sorry, if it's a question of PLAYING FF7 before the remake, then... yes! Do that! FF7 is an incredible game on its own, 100% worth playing, and as a bonus you'll then understand the metatextual parts of the remake.

But if it's a question of watching a 10 minute youtube video to "get up to speed" before playing the remake - do NOT do that. Just go in blind.

I watched a 50 minute summary video and then a 90 minute analysis video 😅

The analysis video was actually really good, I recommend it.

Oh. Re-reading your post and yeah, it does make sense. First time around I got another impression haha.

I actually just got done with installing Satsuki and making it work, my Dualsense was not collaborating, had to install Ds4windows, and god how do people deal with modding stuff and all of the troubleshooting that is PC gaming,... anyways, I suppose one gets the hang of it eventually. I'm ready for OG FF7 then.

My crazy theory is that in Zack's timeline, he and Aerith live while Tifa and company kick the bucket, and possibly also Cloud.
My other more out there theory is he has his own playable campaign (but shorter than the main campaign).

Sephiroth sound so much more like Cloud's Yandere controlling boyfriend in German and Japanese.

English Sephiroth with "Do not be deceived. You know the truth. Trust me." Vs German/Japanese Sephiroth: "Do not be deceived. I ALONE are your absolute truth."

I love it.

Looks like Digital Trends put their preview up early by mistake. It's gone now but you can view the cached page:

Spoilering it just in case. It sounds amazing though, I can't wait.

Looks like Digital Trends put their preview up early by mistake. It's gone now but you can view the cached page:

Spoilering it just in case. It sounds amazing though, I can't wait.
Game does sound amazing. I just really miss the day that Final Fantasy games gave me a sense of exploration. I just need to come to terms that that's not what the series is.

With that said, I'm gonna day one this game harder than I day oned any game ever.

OMG reading that literally took my breath away. Thank you for posting @KilgoreWolfe . Every time I think I can't get more excited for the game, I find out more about it and the hype raises to another level. FIVE MONTHS REMAIN!!!

NieR Automata is 45GB on PS4 and was reduced to 11GB on Switch.

Rebirth could fit on a 64GB if compressed enough. Now let's see if Nintendo screws up with the carts or not this time.

If it is on Switch 2 I think it'll be like 32GB on a cart and the other 75GB or whatever you have to download. Think people are just gonna have to get used to that kind of a setup. Devs are not even going to both trying to fit games onto the cartridge especially for monster games.

Last edited:
Don’t sleep on replaying (or playing for the first time) the OG before the remake or Rebirth. They’re different enough for them to be separate experiences. Remake even makes some big story changes as well.

OG is a fantastic game in and of itself and also as a standalone experience. It is truly a classic - exploring interesting themes on top of excellent world-building and fascinating characters, as well as sporting some really fun RPG systems and gorgeous music.

Unless you really want to keep yourself away from any spoilers, warming up with OG isn’t a bad idea at all.

Back
Top Bottom