• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Final Fantasy VII Rebirth developer update (with Summer Game Fest Trailer)

So uninspired by these I'm choosing to believe that even though some of the green text is stupid stuff like "nailing down a release date", it's all hints and that "many new tracks" and "new arrangements" and "new comrades" refers to storyline divergences from the source material.

If we're moving away from the established narrative it would be really cool if 'many new tracks' meant we had route splits or game-changing decisions to make, and 'new comrades' didn't just mean returning playable characters from the original but playable characters who have never been playable before.

But that's probably not the case. Either way, excited for this to be an interactive narrative experience that I can collaborate in the storytelling of with dynamic controller inputs and pre-order DLC bonuses.

This is a bit pretentious and also a bit embarassing, to be honest.
Original yes, but man, I'd rather see something rather than text that just spit the obvious. Like "This will feature comrades with cooperation" (nah, the entire team won't act together, instead all the cast will cross their arms while Cloud act alone).

We also plan to introduce useless SOLDIER characters that are extremely over the top and do things that makes no sense. Remember Roche ? Really ? Remember how his bike was pretty much acting like a ragdoll in a 2006 FPS featuring early Havoc physics ?

About Roche :

"Roche was intended to reappear later. One idea was to include him in Chapter 14, "In Search of Hope", though the developers gave up on this as Midgar's slums had no roads to ride motorcycles along. Another was to include him in the final highway battle, but the developers felt it ruined its serious tone"

Reminds me of Heavy Rain about the black outs of one of the main character that ended up having 0 impact on the story and 0 justification because David "De Gruttola" Cage deleted lots of plot point about it, but still let the black outs because "it looked cool". But still made no sense.

Roche was great and I won't hear a word against him.
I'm so tired of the "Sephiroth" wanabees with characters doing absolutely no sensical actions, talk ONLY with the lexical language of their hobby (have you played "Left Alive", the game that takes place in the Front Mission universe ? It features a bad guy that, alone, always, talk, with baseball metaphores. Like. ALL. THE. FLIPPIN'. TIME.

Roche ? He's the same. Doing 1080° /540 diagonal Reverse Indy Nosebone divided by 900 Psygnosis RollCage with his bike. And yeah, the choregraphy is... "impressive" but you don't play. You're not in control, you just look at the keys that the designer are moving in front of you with dialogue that makes Star Ocean : The Last Hope blushes and Eternal Sonata screams out in laughter. You look at the NPC doing the "cool stuff" and anytime this happen, the game also reminds you that your characters are massive morons who can't, just CAN'T act like they do in cutscenes, during gameplay. Because that would completetly destroy the already terrible level design of FF VII Remake, the game that also features two types of arenas you are forced to do just to make sure you have the right amount of XP.

I'm so tired of this shit. At the very least, some games did the "Sephi-clone" right, like Ramirez in Skies of Arcadia. At no point you see him talking like :
"Life is like a sphere, like the moons. It is spherical, so it is round, so it has no start and no end. I like spheres, they no sides. I'm not siding, like a sphere. Life is a circle, don't you agree, Vyse ? Let's sphere this, SPHERE ! Here's my Limit Break : SPHERICAL SPHERES OF THE SPHERES !".

I'm so tired of this shit. At the very least, some games did the "Sephi-clone" right, like Ramirez in Skies of Arcadia. At no point you see him talking like :
"Life is like a sphere, like the moons. It is spherical, so it is round, so it has no start and no end. I like spheres, they no sides. I'm not siding, like a sphere. Life is a circle, don't you agree, Vyse ? Let's sphere this, SPHERE ! Here's my Limit Break : SPHERICAL SPHERES OF THE SPHERES !".
I need Sun Wong Cho to voice this

As probably the biggest FF7R fan on this site, even i will say this whole update thing was bullshit. The only way I would've been okay with it would be if they would've put out a new trailer this morning.

As probably the biggest FF7R fan on this site, even i will say this whole update thing was bullshit. The only way I would've been okay with it would be if they would've put out a new trailer this morning.
I’ve been dunking hard on these goofy tweets, but I’m super hyped to actually play the game. FF7R was my GOTY in 2020. Hope we get a good trailer today.

Incredible.

Truly unparalleled work.

I read all of these with the tone and intonation of Mystic Meg, a psychic who would appear on the national lottery show in the UK to give hints about who would win. "Insurance salesmen, women named Pat, and a binman will be celebrating to0o0o."

Apparently the Japanese tweet said “shortly” instead of soon, so I’m not giving up on today just yet

The two disc thing is marketing nonsense. They said the same thing about the first game.

If I was Yoshi-P I’d be livid about this. Absolutely no reason this couldn’t have been held until Gamescom, PAX, or TGS.

RIP PC player HDDs
if you haven't moved to an SSD by now, I doubt you play many games. HDDs aren't even the standard drives in prebuilts anymore as far as I know

Call me crazy, but this just busted any interest I had on FF16…. Nops, I`m going directly to FF7 part 2

I guess I'm going against the grain as this looks so mediocre compared to XVI to me. I imagine having never played Remake nor the OG, (hence having no nostalgia for it), is playing no small part in it, because all I'm seeing is worse art direction and fanfiction shenanigans.

Edit: game looks cool don't get me wrong, I'll get to it eventually, just nowhere near as hyped for it. Add to that that it seems I have to play the original (and OG7 looks ugly, clunky, just... not a great remaster) to really get the full experience and well...

I guess I'm going against the grain as this looks so mediocre compared to XVI to me. I imagine having never played Remake nor the OG, (hence having no nostalgia for it), is playing no small part in it, because all I'm seeing is worse art direction and fanfiction shenanigans.

Edit: game looks cool don't get me wrong, I'll get to it eventually, just nowhere near as hyped for it. Add to that that it seems I have to play the original (and OG7 looks ugly, clunky, just... not a great remaster) to really get the full experience and well...
Shows how different people can be I guess cause one of the main reasons I have little interest in XVI is the art direction. All the characters and environments look so boring and bland to me whereas 7 Remake has tons of out there fun, more colourful designs.

Shows how different people can be I guess cause one of the main reasons I have little interest in XVI is the art direction. All the characters and environments look so boring and bland to me whereas 7 Remake has tons of out there fun, more colourful designs.
Ahah, yep, to each their own. I can see how Rebirth is more colorful and "upbeat" (I guess?) but that doesn't necessarily correlate to better art for my tastes. For example I greatly prefer XVI's use of monochrome palettes and emphasis on striking shapes and vistas.
Honestly I love how different XVI and VII Rebirth look and play. Variety is always a win.
Absolutely! Don't get me wrong half of the reason why I'm being harsh on Rebirth is because I want to play devil's advocate.

I freaking knew they'd turn the Mythril Mines encounter with the Turks into a boss fight. Feels good seeing it come to fruition.

Now they just need to let us finally fight Tseng
Every clip I've seen of XVI's combat does nothing for me. I'm not seeing much going on beyond button mashing and flashy lights. Maybe it plays better than it looks, idk.

FF7R's combat is the gold standard, I'm thrilled to be getting two more games of it

Finally caught up on all of SGF today. This trailer was far and away my favorite! Everything here looks amazing. Really impressed by the larger environments especially.

2 discs thing, back in my day Final Fantasy came on 4 discs lol.

Finally caught up on all of SGF today. This trailer was far and away my favorite! Everything here looks amazing. Really impressed by the larger environments especially.

2 discs thing, back in my day Final Fantasy came on 4 discs lol.
I wonder if it'll have the classic "end of disc 1 big boss" followed by the "please insert disc 2" static screen

I wonder if it'll have the classic "end of disc 1 big boss" followed by the "please insert disc 2" static screen
On PS4 with Remake the first disc was just to install data and then you played the full game on the second one. I imagine it’s the same situation here. Would be a fun throwback though I agree!

On PS4 with Remake the first disc was just to install data and then you played the full game on the second one. I imagine it’s the same situation here. Would be a fun throwback though I agree!
Booooo. That's just no fun. Remember when RPGs specifically had really important bosses and big cutscenes/story beats at the end of discs? I kind of miss that in a weird way. One of those things lost to time, although it still happened occasionally (I remember Tales of Symphonia being two discs on Gamecube, which was kind of wild)

Back
Top Bottom