• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

PlayStation Final Fantasy VII Rebirth demo (Nibelheim flashback) out now. New demo containing open world portion out later.

Oh my god I'm floored. This game will be everything I've ever wanted.

I've put an hour into the demo and all I want to do is play it more. Damn work. šŸ˜­

Wheeeeeeww. Yā€™all, we have an all-timer on our hands.

Adored more or less everything about the demo, itā€™s everything I loved in Remake, but doubled down upon. I was equally just gasping in awe and had shivers all over. They totally nailed the climaxes of the demo. Totally. Also the music cannot be understated. Itā€™s absurdly good.

Only thing Iā€™m not entirely aboard on is the new combat moves, which made the fights in part feel rather finicky and bloated.

Also (light OG spoilers)

I get that they wanted and needed to have Cloud and Sephiroth to be the same level in combat for it to work, but it loses a lot of that cool feeling of being Level 1 loser Cloud and have our OP buddy decimate everything, which was important character building in the original game.

Also, vacuum hype! I lurked Era for a while and some people hated it. I thought it was dope.

Gonna be some excruciating three weeks. This has pretty much ruined everything Iā€™ve planned on playing until then, I just wonā€™t be able to settle down.

Also, vacuum hype! I lurked Era for a while and some people hated it. I thought it was dope.
As soon as I realized what was going on with the vacuum, I thought "oh, people are going to HATE this."

But those deliberate pace-shifters (see: the crane in Remake) have never really bothered me either.

Wheeeeeeww. Yā€™all, we have an all-timer on our hands.

Adored more or less everything about the demo, itā€™s everything I loved in Remake, but doubled down upon. I was equally just gasping in awe and had shivers all over. They totally nailed the climaxes of the demo. Totally. Also the music cannot be understated. Itā€™s absurdly good.

Only thing Iā€™m not entirely aboard on is the new combat moves, which made the fights in part feel rather finicky and bloated.

Also (light OG spoilers)

I get that they wanted and needed to have Cloud and Sephiroth to be the same level in combat for it to work, but it loses a lot of that cool feeling of being Level 1 loser Cloud and have our OP buddy decimate everything, which was important character building in the original game.

Gonna be some excruciating three weeks. This has pretty much ruined everything Iā€™ve planned on playing until then, I just wonā€™t be able to settle down.
I kinda like it as another subtle indication that it's actually Zack and not Cloud. Combined with the mannerisms it's a fun way to sort of wink at people who already know.

Just finished the demo and i thought it was phenomenal, Square cooked!

Yeah, i don't disagree but i think (hope?) it will all be introduced more gradually in the proper game.

Also hope they will tweak performance mode a bit before launch because now it looks a bit...rough, let's leave it at that.

Anyone else have crashing and the screen turning white? I canā€™t find a single other person talking about this online. I tested other ps5 games and didnā€™t have this issue, so I donā€™t think itā€™s my console. But again no one else seems to be having this issue

As soon as I realized what was going on with the vacuum, I thought "oh, people are going to HATE this."

But those deliberate pace-shifters (see: the crane in Remake) have never really bothered me either.
Eh; this felt a bit more like a loading screen.

Edit: [The tweet was deleted. But it was some very bad AI voice acting from the demo.]

Double Edit: Apparently it was a badly editted take?

I kinda like it as another subtle indication that it's actually Zack and not Cloud. Combined with the mannerisms it's a fun way to sort of wink at people who already know.
Yeah, they put plenty of wink wink moments to drive it home. Right down to how you could see the blonde hair under the guard/Real!Cloud's helmet, and when you spoke to him, Zack's voice came out.

Anyone else have crashing and the screen turning white? I canā€™t find a single other person talking about this online. I tested other ps5 games and didnā€™t have this issue, so I donā€™t think itā€™s my console. But again no one else seems to be having this issue

Saw some Era members with the same problem.

I have a bit of the same problem. The remake seems to have been made for people who played the original and not for new audiences, because of this I feel like getting this game would be like starting a story in the middle, specially after the final events of the remake
Eh I absolutely loved Remake and had very minor context for the OG game. I think it can work on its own. Jumping straight into Rebirth though would probably feel kind of weird though, although I guess they do have the story recap included in this demo for people who need it.

Eh I absolutely loved Remake and had very minor context for the OG game. I think it can work on its own. Jumping straight into Rebirth though would probably feel kind of weird though, although I guess they do have the story recap included in this demo for people who need it.
imo all you need to know to play remake is that the original game exists and you can kind of fill in the gaps from there, you'll miss some tiny stuff but i think the general parts of FF7 that most gamers have absorbed through cultural osmosis is all you need

Just finished the demo. Cannot wait. Disappointed to hear about Cid, although I had a feeling Vincent wouldn't be playable. Still.... I know this is a blisteringly hot take, but I'm so excited to re-experience my favorite Final Fantasy like this.

Just finished the demo. Cannot wait. Disappointed to hear about Cid, although I had a feeling Vincent wouldn't be playable. Still.... I know this is a blisteringly hot take, but I'm so excited to re-experience my favorite Final Fantasy like this.
They're probably going to handle it like Remake.
Introduce in the game as NPC, playable in the next one. Same with Red XIII

I see a lot of people hammering the

final scene where Sephiroth just stands there and then take down the people one by one while thereā€™s a forced crawl

thing a lot. I do feel it looked a tad odd but Iā€™m otherwise fine with Sephiroth in the demo. However, I do hope that they wonā€™t make more drastic changes than this when it comes to super important scenes, I still canā€™t get over how they completely screwed up president Shinra in Remake.

This is definitely the first game that's really got me wishing for the PS5 Pro. Or at least a 40fps mode with VRR support.
The performance mode is so blurry, and the graphics mode is so juddery, feels like the PS5 is really struggling with it.

The game itself is fantastic though and I still can't wait for the full release.

The scope of the game looks gigantic, almost inconceivably so. The music so far has all been bangers, not a single track I dislike. The block/parry additions make the flow of the combat feel so much better overall and the character interactions here are all great.

However, something I noticed about this section specifically is that the developers went out of their way to make sure that gameplay elements that were rampant in part 1 would all be present here, i.e the camera pans and focuses on your next objective when a conversation ends, your character speed halts when you go off the beaten path, most interactable environments are highlighted in some way (like yellow paint or an icon), minor objectives you have to complete to open the path that feels unnecessary (mako purifier), and they even included one of those sliding sections that didn't feel out of necessity, it felt more like a callback.

The open zone should demo new gameplay elements better

This is definitely the first game that's really got me wishing for the PS5 Pro. Or at least a 40fps mode with VRR support.
The performance mode is so blurry, and the graphics mode is so juddery, feels like the PS5 is really struggling with it.

The game itself is fantastic though and I still can't wait for the full release.

There's something weird going on when you're controlling Cloud, he looks more blurry than NPC's. I don't think it's a resolution problem. Faces also seem blurry but textures in the surrounding area look sharper.

final scene where Sephiroth just stands there and then take down the people one by one while thereā€™s a forced crawl

thing a lot. I do feel it looked a tad odd but Iā€™m otherwise fine with Sephiroth in the demo. However, I do hope that they wonā€™t make more drastic changes than this when it comes to super important scenes, I still canā€™t get over how they completely screwed up president Shinra in Remake.
I was frankly more bothered by the fact that

Sephiroth is slashing and stabbing left and right but there's absolutely zero blood on screen

imo all you need to know to play remake is that the original game exists and you can kind of fill in the gaps from there, you'll miss some tiny stuff but i think the general parts of FF7 that most gamers have absorbed through cultural osmosis is all you need
I'd also say you might as well toss in the Crisis Core remaster, too. At least before you play Rebirth. The 7-Re games have made it very apparent that chars and events that popped up in that work can freely show up and be referenced here, too.

So, if you want to get the full picture of what's going on, who this "Zack" guy is, and his relationship to both Cloud and Sephiroth, there you go.

I'd also say you might as well toss in the Crisis Core remaster, too. At least before you play Rebirth. The 7-Re games have made it very apparent that chars and events that popped up in that work can freely show up and be referenced here, too.

So, if you want to get the full picture of what's going on, who this "Zack" guy is, and his relationship to both Cloud and Sephiroth, there you go.
for sure, but I don't think it's important to know who characters like Leslie and Kyrie (from the books) or references to Genesis or Deepground or whatever are before 7 Remake, that info is more just like "cool if you know but doesn't matter if you don't" - but yeah Crisis Core perhaps yeah - though, I'm sure it will get into it over the course of the game and play as a reveal like it did in the original game (newbies questioning who this guy is etc...)

Last edited:

Not sure if itā€™s the ps5 struggling, or square struggling to make a game of this scope. You can look at plenty of last gen open world games that were massive and had way better texture work and ran smoother than this demo does. Games like ac Odyssey, horizon zero dawn, hell id even go as far as saying that ffxv blows what ive seen of rebirth away visually, especially
Maxed out on pc. It could also be a ue4 issue. What other open world ue4 games are out there that I could compare this to?

Played through the demo again today, will most likely play it a third time between now and the second demo.

Now I know how people who bought Zone of the Enders back in the day just to play MGS2's Tanker mission felt.

It's the whole direction of the scene that is kinda bad. It's like they wanted to do something better than one of the absolute most iconic scenes from the original and the best they could come up with was having Cloud be there for most of it and making the scene interactive. But this scene in particular gains absolutely nothing from being interactive and if anything it just makes it feel like a slog and much goofier.

Not sure if itā€™s the ps5 struggling, or square struggling to make a game of this scope. You can look at plenty of last gen open world games that were massive and had way better texture work and ran smoother than this demo does. Games like ac Odyssey, horizon zero dawn, hell id even go as far as saying that ffxv blows what ive seen of rebirth away visually, especially
Maxed out on pc. It could also be a ue4 issue. What other open world ue4 games are out there that I could compare this to?
Let's just hope this is some older build and performance in final build will be a lot better

Played through but honestly wasnā€™t really paying much attention to anything. Just put it on easy to rush through it and tried to ignore the story bits. I just wanted the Adventure Items for the full game when it releases lol Iā€™ll take my time and really enjoy it on the 29th.

We gonna need that "Aerith's sunglasses has developed quite the fanart following" thread.

Screenshot-2024-02-09-153032.png

Screenshot-2024-02-09-153049.png

Screenshot-2024-02-09-153114.png

Screenshot-2024-02-09-153137.png

Screenshot-2024-02-09-153205.png

The ending scene is so poorly written and conceived.

four guys with guns approach Sephiroth and none of them shoot him. They all just stand there point their gun at him as he slooooowwwllly takes his time killing them all one by one very sloooowwwwlllyyy while none of them fire their guns at him while he slooooowwwwllllyy kills them one by one.

Who the hell wrote / designed / directed / signed off on that?

four guys with guns approach Sephiroth and none of them shoot him. They all just stand there point their gun at him as he slooooowwwllly takes his time killing them all one by one very sloooowwwwlllyyy while none of them fire their guns at him while he slooooowwwwllllyy kills them one by one.

I don't think we're going to get along.

There's no way you watched that and didn't notice how awkward or ridiculous that all was. The whole time I was thinking "uhhhhh what the hell are they doing?"
That's what I came to the Remakes for. The original game is all kinds of awkward and ridiculous. I don't want that to change! I just want it to look better and have a killer soundtrack.

I think it was odd and a strange decision, but I donā€™t hate it or anything. But it showed a bit of a worrying sign that theyā€™re not afraid to ā€œshake upā€ even the most iconic scenes from the OG. Which can be amazing (rooftops) or a complete backfire. (President Shinra scene, which I feel compelled to mention again)

It was pretty bad. I also thought the movement and traversal felt really bad in the demo, especially concerning to me considering the open areas in the game (although I'll wait to see how part 2 of the demo is). Honestly was not impressed with demo last night.

It does go on for a bit too long but I just took it as them being completely paralyzed with fear.

They flubbed the execution a bit but I don't mind that much.

It does go on for a bit too long but I just took it as them being completely paralyzed with fear.

I saw some talk about this on era but I agree with some the idea that this scene looks the way it does to keep the rating down.

Doesn't really change that the execution on the scene is off (why have them posed with guns at all if they can't really shoot) but it does make some sense to me. There's a pretty distinct lack of any blood etc in this and the previous remake too.

I saw some talk about this on era but I agree with some the idea that this scene looks the way it does to keep the rating down.

Doesn't really change that the execution on the scene is off (why have them posed with guns at all if they can't really shoot) but it does make some sense to me. There's a pretty distinct lack of any blood etc in this and the previous remake too.
Oh for sure, it's definitely a concession to the ratings boards as well. It's a little disappointing but by and large it doesn't really bother me.

Execution is a little off - probably could sell it with a bit more dialogue ie: "You son of a bitch, why would you this - you're a hero" etc... trying to talk him down and reason with him like he's still the man they think he is bc they don't want to shoot their hero or be responsible for killing the world's great war hero etc... and he just has Mako poisoning from the reactor etc (and yes, I'm guessing there are some ratings shenanigans going on) but I think we can probably assume they're scared and also worship Sephiroth as a hero so don't want to shoot him (and are small town men who maybe act tough but can't follow through), but i agree it doesn't exactly land that the way its presented.

Last edited:
That's what I came to the Remakes for. The original game is all kinds of awkward and ridiculous. I don't want that to change! I just want it to look better and have a killer soundtrack.
....what.

The "remake" is already changing everything about the game but the broadest of strokes. They literally introduced time-travel ghosts, and a giant heartless boss fight. But this is what you don't want them to change?

The scene worked fine in the original game due to the limited animation, resolution, and camera work. It was basically like watching animated lego figures. It just straight up does not make sense to try and replicate that in a cinematic setting; especially when they changed so much else.
There's a pretty distinct lack of any blood etc in this and the previous remake too.
Meanwhile, the original game had a surprising amount of blood. Shinra HQ really isn't the same without "The Thing" leaving a bloody trail in it's wake. Nor does the Midgar Zolom work without the blood. Certain scenes really require it in order to sell the story.

Back
Top Bottom