• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

PlayStation Final Fantasy VII Rebirth demo (Nibelheim flashback) out now. New demo containing open world portion out later.

Just announced at the end of the State of Play. I know the game is out soon and that most of us are already sold and stuff, but my head is spinning, I'm hyped out of my goddamn mind.

I’m on a pure social media black out for this game. The temptation to download this is real.

....what.

The "remake" is already changing everything about the game but the broadest of strokes. They literally introduced time-travel ghosts, and a giant heartless boss fight. But this is what you don't want them to change?

The scene worked fine in the original game due to the limited animation, resolution, and camera work. It was basically like watching animated lego figures. It just straight up does not make sense to try and replicate that in a cinematic setting; especially when they changed so much else.
Correct, I don't want the goofy PSOne DNA to change.

Played the demo and it was awesome. Felt like a huge upgrade over Part 1. Of course it was just a small section but man was it GOOD. Honestly beyond hyped for the full release. I also personally feel that once we get the full trilogy of games, it could be one of the best games (as one entity) ever made but that's just my opinion.

But...it already has! This is the most bizarre and nonsensical thing to get hung up on.
No it hasn't! They may have altered the story, but they didn't remove many elements that seem silly by modern standards. The Honey Bee Inn itself is even crazier than it was in 1997! Don Corneo is even hornier than before! Reno still traps characters in random magical pyramids!

The 90's DNA is strong with this one.

I played some VI last night and I've always loved the goofy side of FF, and I think that what truly makes VI and VII sing and resonate in such a significant way is that they are still some of the most contrasting RPG games out there.

At least for the time, few things were as menacing and unsettling as the mere sight of Sephiroth and Kefka, or witnessing them burning down villages and poisoning lakes. Yet the games are chock full of slapstick. The lake poisoning in VI is literally followed up by Gau trolling Sabin with a potion roughly half an hour later.

I’m glad that the remake games of VII are doubling down on the absurd. Taking something like the honey-bee Inn and expand it into a sheer spectacle as they did in Remake was totally the right decision in my opinion and I hope that Gold Saucer just amps up stuff even more.

As long as it doesn’t come at the expense of the contrast of course. I think that the ending of the demo was just dramatic enough, but it wasn’t exactly Resident Evil, which maybe it should have been?

If this is just a foretaste of what's to come, this game's combat is going to be something else.

I'll admit: I was one of those that, while I overall enjoyed Remake, the combat still felt a bit "undercooked", to me.

But after what I played of the Rebirth demo, and what I'm seeing from demonstrations, SE may have truly put together something special here.

Of all the various forms of "Action Fantasy" we've gotten in the last few years, this and Strangers of Paradise may be running neck to neck for me!

Back
Top Bottom