• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters for Switch and PS4 launch April 19th

I think there's generally been a lot of either misinformation or misunderstanding of what these games actually. My view is that they are broadly the original aesthetic, but without memory or storage limitations that dictated a whole bunch of design decisions.

I apologize for the comparisons. To get a more accurate perception of the issues and what opponents of these versions are saying, you should make sure to full screen the GBA or SNES versions of the game to full screen on your big HD TV or monitor.

In the old days, they didn't have the storage space to come up with a wide variety of tiles, so most any scene used the same single floor tile copy and pasted over and over. In these remakes, floors that only had a single tile design often now have about a dozen or so, giving the impression of way more detail despite being the same resolution.

main-qimg-65d962648b2b3a349398b3728fba8817

vs.

Final-Fantasy-V-Pixel-Remaster_Missables-Walkthrough.jpg

The next major change to point out is resolution support. I'm skip over the bad FF4/FF5 SNES backgrounds and use the better GBA redesigns. The Pixel remasters are natively ultrawide resolution. This applies to both any full screen backdrops or backgrounds, as well as battle backgrounds.

final-fantasy-vi-walkthrough-part-thirteen-narshe.webp

vs.

9BDB370886D378980DF7BC445F32BD11646894BF

There's been shockingly little discussion of the battle backgrounds, but all of them are natively around 21:9, and then cropped down on the left/right for regular widescreen, and then trimmed a bit at the top and bottom when on the iPad aspect ration.

final-fantasy-4-advance-gba-026.png

vs.

F0E2323E93347280B09AF87F2E277FC1A0E711B7

It isn't just an expansion, but also more defined detail in the grass itself.

In the images you can also note that the sprites are no longer confined to 16x24 in size. Capes, hair, shoulders, legs during walking animations, etc. are allowed to go outside of the box, but this is mostly during animations and people don't really notice the difference. The FF6 sprites are now actually larger, to account for showing the two legs, are now a few pixels taller so don't have as scrunched upper toros.

Spells are now pixelated 3D effects, so they are fully 60 FPS or whatever instead of just being 3 or 4 frames of animation. Some of the game reused in some spell animations in the PC release, but it looks like they've been made more distinct in this version.

vs

There's a whole ton of changes, but people do lazy comparisons between sprites without showing how they look in game. Stuff like being able to see Zozo from Mt. Zozo, or Coin Toss having a full ultrawide starscape instead of just a blue background, is a really visually appealing change.

Spells in FF6, in particular, are one thing where I genuinely cannot comprehend how people thing the original spells look better.

vs.

Other good examples, the FFV Siren scene:

vs.

Sorry for the bad comparisons. You should be blowing up the GBA screens to be full screen on your TV, because that is what people are seriously recommending here. Resolution, 3D spell and atmosphere effects, more detailed backgrounds, more detailed sprites, on top of faster animations and smoother UI performance, make for really appealing version of these games.

I despise the 3D versions of 3 and 4 so will be happy to own good versions of both on Switch and PS4 soon. I just hope the jerky scrolling is fixed.

There's a whole ton of changes, but people do lazy comparisons between sprites without showing how they look in game. Stuff like being able to see Zozo from Mt. Zozo, or Coin Toss having a full ultrawide starscape instead of just a blue background, is a really visually appealing change.
As someone who has never played any of these games (and has therefore no nostalgia for any version whatsoever), I much prefer the first video of the coin toss scene. The deep blue of the night sky is much prettier and the castle itself actually looks like it is night. In the Pixel Remaster it clashes with the sky, which makes the whole scene weirdly flat looking. Even worse are the moments immediately before, where the castle is actually blue-tinted in the new version, but it looks more like an underwater scene, as everything is still perfectly illuminated with no real dark spots in-between (which makes it again flat looking):

ffviprnqczz.png

What makes it worse, is that the character sprites are also sticking out like a sore thumb. Compared to the original (?) they are (again) much flatter and way too bright in this scene. The Pixel Remaster may be the better version from a technical perspective, but artistically I much prefer the other version in this example:

ffviow1ito.png

I think the visuals are good but the lack of the status box in the bottom of the combat screen not extending the full width of the screen makes me twitchy.

As someone who has never played any of these games (and has therefore no nostalgia for any version whatsoever), I much prefer the first video of the coin toss scene. The deep blue of the night sky is much prettier and the castle itself actually looks like it is night. In the Pixel Remaster it clashes with the sky, which makes the whole scene weirdly flat looking. Even worse are the moments immediately before, where the castle is actually blue-tinted in the new version, but it looks more like an underwater scene, as everything is still perfectly illuminated with no real dark spots in-between (which makes it again flat looking):

ffviprnqczz.png

What makes it worse, is that the character sprites are also sticking out like a sore thumb. Compared to the original (?) they are (again) much flatter and way too bright in this scene. The Pixel Remaster may be the better version from a technical perspective, but artistically I much prefer the other version in this example:

ffviow1ito.png
I kind of agree here - the character sprites jump out way too much and seem to lack proper contrast. I'm sure I'd get used to it while playing the game, and a lot of the improvements are really cool, but it's not a complete win over the original IMO.

The originals were made by some of the absolute best artists in the industry at the time pouring in all they had into these games. The remasters were not the same magnitude of a project and as much as the artists assigned put in an effort and the remasters have lots of technical advantages over the originals, it's clear the art direction is not on the same level. The remasters just don't look nearly as cohesive and many of the visual choices are questionable to say the least, at least in my perception.

The originals were made by some of the absolute best artists in the industry at the time pouring in all they had into these games. The remasters were not the same magnitude of a project and as much as the artists assigned put in an effort and the remasters have lots of technical advantages over the originals, it's clear the art direction is not on the same level. The remasters just don't look nearly as cohesive and many of the visual choices are questionable to say the least, at least in my perception.
Aren’t these being overseen by the original pixel artist for the series (who’s name I’m absolutely forgetting ☹️)?

Aren’t these being overseen by the original pixel artist for the series (who’s name I’m absolutely forgetting ☹️)?

Kazuko Shibuya, yes. Around 2017, SE started to imagine what a "correct" way is to recreate the original assets for more color depth. You can see the attempts from back then either in FF Dot or on the cover art for the Brass De Bravo album series:

d506689a46d865bffe94384d8210ef47_KR_350.jpg

The original games relied on CRT blurring (really more of the cable used than the display?) so SE increased the color depth-- what was once a solid blue is now three shades, and the solid yellow of the hat becomes three shades.

Gogo and Kefka are wildly closer to the original concept art, because the displays let them do pixel-by-pixel detail and they can fit more colors in by memory limitations.

The overall collection has about 30 artists from Tose credited due to how much had to be done for six full length RPGs, but the basic designs on how to get the original intent on totally new displays while keeping the same fake resolution was supervised by Shibuya.

I played recently DQIII on my Switch and give me wish play more jrpgs so I want play this collection asap

Do y'all think there is any chance that Square will produce more physical copies? Any chance at all? I need physical. I'm old! Digital scares me.

I think there will be a non-limited version sometime down the line, basically when they would feel good with a permanent price drop. They don't want to sell this collection on physical for $60 on regular stores, they want way more than that from their own store or on digital.

These are full remakes in Unity that are going to be the versions ported over and over for years. They'll be around in many forms.

Last edited:
Super tempted to get the physical copy through Play Asia. I could split the payment up with PayPal, and I'd be waiting on the second print run, which defers the question of when I actually play the games...

The question gets raised constantly about difficulty of these versions. Broadly, the addition of Auto Save and Quick Save (which is a proper save slot, albeit you only have one of it) mostly dwarves any other changes that are made. FF2 and FF3 were just super terrible in some versions of the game due to how long dungeons were, with boss fights, and no saving at all. It makes a lesser difference in the other four games, but is still pretty meaningful.

The other big change is everything to game speed and ATB. Lots to consider here:

• The Normal ATB speed is a decent approximation of the original default ATB speeds.
  • The Very Fast ATB is wildly, tremendously faster than the old Very Fast or highest ATB speeds.
  • Animations are generally shorter, including how much dead time there is on other side.
  • The ratio between animation time and ATB fill rate is what determines how much the player is punished for dealing with menus.
Overall, these lead to Very Fast + Active being considerably more difficult in FF5 and FF6 than the originals, but the difficulty in either wasn't super high unless you are doing challenge runs.

FF4 had some experience-to-level changes, with the supervision of one of the original producers, which was mostly to mitigate the the grind in the last third of the game--- during most of the rest of the game, characters are joining at fixed levels that are sufficient for the challenges thrown at you, or will surge from level 1 to something useful in a few fights). They over did it, and reduced the change in a patch. In this version, full experience will result in the player being a few levels higher in the late game (probably something like being level 70 when you would be 65 or 66?), while half EXP mod will result in something more difficult than the original.

FF1 is like most of the remakes of the game, in that EXP gain to level has been reduced, but power leveling has been removed (no more peninsula of power), and spells actually do what they are supposed to, on top of other changes). Half EXP is probably... slightly more difficult than the original, except for Quick Save / Auto Save, which make this conversation moot. All of the bosses are total pushovers in any other version, except Chaos, who is way more difficult now.

FF2 had a ton of changes, in general. HP gain is far more consistent, and negative stat gain is removed. They screwed up something about how Evasion grows/works in the original, and made a change to that via patches, but it is still very different from the original. The final dungeon no longer sucks due to saving. (More detailed answer: Only ranged attacks formerly to hit the back row, but it was changed to just a 50% melee damage reduction. Because attacks were more divided and the evasion growth was thresholded, you just wouldn't level evasion meaningfully. They now made it easier to level evasion, to go with attacks being divided more evenly.)

FF3 had the most changes. You can change jobs more readily due to neither the cost (OG) nor the change fatigue (DS) being implemented, and the final dungeon allowing saves is a total game changer. The last boss has been made a bit more difficult to compensate.

Last edited:
FF1 is like most of the remakes of the game, in that EXP gain to level has been reduced, but power leveling has been removed (no more peninsula of power), and spells actually do what they are supposed to, on top of other changes). Half EXP is probably... slightly more difficult than the original, except for Quick Save / Auto Save, which make this conversation moot. All of the bosses are total pushovers in any other version, except Chaos, who is way more difficult now.

Thank you for the detailed post!
Regarding FF1
Even with the EXP half, As you stated, it still has the other adjustments that have been included since the GBA version to make it easier:

At the very least:
  • Treasure Chests: More Gold/ better items
  • Item Shops: More Items overall purchasable / More new powerful items purchasable / items are cheaper
  • Armor / Weapon Shops / Spell shops: Everything is cheaper
  • Better random drops from monsters / monsters less hp
  • Stronger Potions: Restore 50 hp instead of 30/ Hi-Potions: 150 instead of 100
  • Stats for jobs are stronger
  • Jobs start with equipment

https://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasypixelremaster/mods/20

Last edited:
Thank you for the detailed post!
Regarding FF1
Even with the EXP half, As you stated, it still includes the other adjustments that have been included since the GBA version to make it easier:

At the very least:
  • Treasure Chests: More Gold/ better items
  • Item Shops: More Items overall purchasable / More new powerful items purchasable / items are cheaper
  • Armor / Weapon Shops / Spell shops: Everything is cheaper
  • Reduced Enemy encounters / better random drops from enemies
  • Stronger Potions: Restore 50 hp instead of 30/ Hi-Potions: 150 instead of 100
  • Stats for jobs are stronger
  • Jobs start with equipment

https://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasypixelremaster/mods/20

Yeah, FF1 had a lot of changes over the years. Casters originally really sucked due to how expensive they were to even get started and like half of their spells just being broken.

Potions being cheaper and being able to buy them all in one go also makes a huge difference.

Ordered the physical copy from Play Asia because it won't arrive until (if?) there's a second print run and I can split the cost across three months. This way I get to surrender to my lizard brain without immediately being inundated with another six RPGs I want to play.

If anyone needed more confirmation than the leak, or the fact that the entire point of Unity remakes is to be able to better maintain them, the Steam versions just started getting Beta branch developer work within the last few days, meaning that the console features are coming to Steam maybe not exactly on launch date but within a few weeks after.

This why they felt it was a good use of money to do 100% recodes in Unity with all six games in a shared standard engine!

Are these worth it if I own all the steam versions? PS4 versions are significantly expensive compared to those versions.

Are these worth it if I own all the steam versions? PS4 versions are significantly expensive compared to those versions.
They have some updates that currently aren't available in the steam versions (like boost exp) but probably they are going to get updated with the console release, and even if they don't you'll always have mods

They have some updates that currently aren't available in the steam versions (like boost exp) but probably they are going to get updated with the console release, and even if they don't you'll always have mods
That's what I thought. Thanks.

and the final dungeon allowing saves is a total game changer
Best part of the Ultimania Archive books was getting to FFIII and one of the developers talking about how they got so much flak for that dungeon from the JP audience 😂

Any order that totally skips FF2 is the best order!
Except it’s also one of the more influential entries! Everyone should at least give it and the SaGa series a try once. If only to see what else you can do with a Squaresoft RPG.

Word of warning, I guess?

It IS a perfect 60 FPS on PC. The problem is that the player speed is no longer one pixel per frame like it was on the original games. Instead, the player moves at a speed that causes the rather large pixel grid to shift one pixel, one pixel, two pixels, over and over again, causing some awful judder.

I probably got the exact details wrong, but that’s essentially the problem. An easy way to mitigate the problem would be to slow down or speed up the player such that the screen scrolls at exactly one pixel per second or exactly two pixels per second. A smoother fix would require a lot more work.

I opened up my copy and can confirm the following...
  • Stutter is still here and readily apparent... even after grabbing the pre-Day 1 launch updates.
  • FFV opening credits have NOT been restored (@Tathanen) ... but the ones for FFVI are there and appreciated.

Word of warning, I guess?

Very dissapointing

The stutter/poor scrolling and the slightly-less so-but-still-abysmal typeface has killed my interest in these, at least for now.

It seems unlikely the stutter will be fixed so I'll need to see more impressions but the videos in the Era thread are pretty damning.

It's a mileage may vary thing but I used to spend a lot of time setting up my emulators back into the day to avoid stutter and tearing. The footage I have seen is like stepping back in time.

Man, i was at least looking for to get FF VI if SQEX shenanigans made the physical release unobtainable for me.

But with that stuttering (that even i notice massively for once) and with Zelda coming up and having just gotten the Mega Man Battle Network Collection ... i think i just wait.

My physical copy won't arrive until June, so I've got time to think about whether or not I really want it, and to see if the level of stutter (especially in portable mode) would be a problem for me.

Kinda dumb the number of ways publishers continue to find to mar re-releases of classic games, though.

The various changes will probably go live on PC sometime in May, but it is hard to tell, and I have no expectation as to whether they will release on all 6 simultaneously or if they will be staggered (FF 1/2/3 seemingly have more updates than 4/5, and 6 hasn't begun patch work yet).

The retro filter helps with the feel of the stuttering, IMO, but it is still present. FF6 has particularly bad problems due to how many scenes have cameras panning over characters moving at a variety of speeds.

I waited too long for the Switch version to skip it over the juddering issue, and I say that as somebody who absolutely can't stand any sort of visual or performance anomalies.

I probably should have just played these on PC, especially considering they support ultrawide, but it's not the type of game I usually play on PC. I'd have bought the iOS version if it supported controllers.

The QoL stuff is at least nice, and it'll probably help me actually finish the games.

I'm having so much fun with these. Started a in-order playthrough and am on FF3 at the moment. It's been a blast revisiting the ones that got released here in the west and getting to play the 3 we didn't get over here back then.

Started Final Fantasy V with AP booster x4 and this pretty much makes it the definitive way to play it. I always thought the normal AP gain was too low, which in turn made me experiment less with jobs since you want to get decent skills and have to comit to the jobs chosen and even at the endgame trying to master more jobs came with a lot of grinding. Now it really allows the player to be more creative without feeling you are wasting AP.

And the best part is that this actually doesn't break the balance of the game (just to show how well it was planned), as I just finished Waltz Tower and Garula still managed to kill 2 party members during the fight with the Rush attack or the jackanapes doing a back attack and killing everybody (thank suqare for the autosave as I didn't save normally before). This is really going to make four job fiesta better

Back
Top Bottom