• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters for Switch and PS4 launch April 19th

I already played through all of these on my phone because I couldn’t wait for these to come out! But wouldn’t it be cool to have FF1–10 + 12 on the same Switch… 👀

So good!

FtBPlyBWYAAKLhB
Do the logos line up with the other FF games on Switch?

Awesome! Now I just gotta wait and see how long it's gonna take Play Asia to ship my Switch copy 👀

Only one single player FF game remains to be on Switch (and its sequels). Come on Square, give us the 13!
Heck yes brother, FF13 gang unite! We need the 13 trilogy and the real 15, and then Switch will be THE place to play Final Fantasy.

The US box art for this series has always been sorta trash. All you need is the Amano gradient logo and a white background. There's absolutely no need for character models or other non-Amano art muddying up the box.
The only non-Amano box art I like is the one they used for XII Zodiac Age with Yoshida's art. But even there I think the original is just much more striking.

Interesting. My Switch copy of Zodiac Age art has the Amano art in the second image.

I think 12 had different art + reversible based on region. Like X/X-2 had the dumb tidus yuna blue art in NA (no banner) and EU (ugly download banner), but Asia and Japan were the good minimal white one with Amano logo. I also bought 12 on every platform including the NA only Xbox physical.

Hmm, Play Asia ... dunno, i didn't order from there in ... ages and i think there was a reason for doing so, but i can't remember.

But still, don't feel like ordering from there.

If i can't get this physical without hassle, i just buy FF VI digitally standalone. I have the duty to play FF VI on every platform i can.

Wish Square also released those on Xbox so I'd be able to play the entire series (sans 11) on the same platform, but alas.

Hmm, Play Asia ... dunno, i didn't order from there in ... ages and i think there was a reason for doing so, but i can't remember.

But still, don't feel like ordering from there.

If i can't get this physical without hassle, i just buy FF VI digitally standalone. I have the duty to play FF VI on every platform i can.
Iirc they’re gamergate signal boosting assholes

Iirc they’re gamergate signal boosting assholes
This. eBay still exists and there’s plenty of people selling import copies of other S-E Asian region releases there. I don’t think it’ll be that hard to pick up an import copy in a few weeks.

So...

Which one is best for a newcomer maybe trying just one of these games?

If you just wanna play / try out one of them, you should pick the best (imo also of the whole FF series) one ... Final Fantasy VI.

Im all over those accessibility features. Ive always wanted to play ff6 but havent had the time, setting the xp multiplier higher so i dont need to grind as much is an awesome feature for me. And its great that those who want a pure experience can easily ignore them!

It's taken a whole half day, but my lizard brain is like "you may as well buy the bundle even if you don't play them because you know you want them and so really there's no point buying them as and when you can play or waiting for discounts BUY THEM BUY THEM BUY THEM"

So...

In my opinion, IV is a nice on-ramp. It's a very simple narrative and is a relatively simple romp overall compared to V and VI. It's not my favorite, but it is the first one I made a dent in.

Yeah I just bought the physical edition, because I do stuff like this sometimes without thinking it over.

I know have bought all the FF games availible on Switch, and only played 1 of them.
I suck
Where did you buy a physical edition and are these translated?

Where did you buy a physical edition and are these translated?

I'm going to start sounding like a shill for playasia at this rate, but it's the only place I know of that has it in stock still. It'll be an edition from somewhere in Asia, probably Hong Kong.

The packaging will be English. Thanks to the eshop listings, we know there's only one version of the games files anyway, and they have all the languages in the files. You can go look at the eshop for a complete list, but it included all the standard languages.

I'm going to start sounding like a shill for playasia at this rate, but it's the only place I know of that has it in stock still. It'll be an edition from somewhere in Asia, probably Hong Kong.

The packaging will be English. Thanks to the eshop listings, we know there's only one version of the games files anyway, and they have all the languages in the files. You can go look at the eshop for a complete list, but it included all the standard languages.
Thank you! I'd love to have this physical 🙂

I've recently replayed FFV and again I have been reminded of how good it is. Definitely play it, it has one of the best soundtracks, the characters are great, some awesome moments like the Big Bridge and finale of the game and more.

When you get to hear this for the first time there will be no denying it.

There's a reason why that song has like seven versions in Theatrhythm!
I know why they do it like this, but it's a massive pain in the arse for people who like their homescreen showing what they've actually played recently, and are getting it physically. Every time you put the Gamecard in, it's going to put all 6 tiles front and centre. It's a shame they could do a one tile launcher for things like this and the Danganronpa collection.
Yeah, that was one of my biggest disappointments with the Danganronpa collection, if I wanted all four games separate like that I wouldn't have bothered getting the physical version. I'll be grabbing these digitally so all of them having their own tiles isn't a big deal, but I would have preferred them being in a collection similar to the Mana and SaGa collections.

I just realized... now we have FF1-12 (sans 11 obviously) on the switch.
Its only missing 13 to have all easily portable mainline titles.
If switch 2 comes out, is backwards compatible, and gets a port of 13 and 15, we will be able to play all but the most recent mainline FF on one console.
I kinda expected that to happen after the switch was announced, but i assumed fast ports as a collection of 1-6 for 60$, then the PS collection for 60$ and a PS2 collection for 60$.
Took them long enough to get here...

So...

Honestly you should have just grabbed FFVII on sale for cheaper than these

But out of those… I’d say VI. IV was my first, tried the first couple hours of it and while it’s a classic it’s very basic, it must have been very impressive in 1992 but in a modern lens you can basically predict how the whole story will go after the very first cutscene. I only finished that game after playing a couple of games in the series and getting the DS version which is the definitive version in my book, sure the low poly 3D may look silly but it’s still the version of the game that makes the game challenging. When I first played it I felt like there was something missing, I could tell that this wasn’t the reason why so many people were obsessed with FF. It’s pretty “vanilla”

That’s why I think VI will give you the best idea of what the fuss is about. It won’t ruin the rest of the series but it’s still arguably the best, it does very interesting things in terms of setting, characters and pacing. The PS1 games that followed it are cut from the same cloth, they also all have variations on what is essentially is the same progression system (equip something to level it up so your character gets moves. Overall you get new moves faster than traditional leveling up or job systems). I haven’t played the others but from what I know they are more traditional in most respects. Might be interesting to try them to learn about the whole history of the series but if you just want to get hooked and know what the fuss is about, between IV and VI I’d say VI for sure

Buying them as a set is a pretty big discount vs buying them separately (75 vs 96). Downside: It doesn't look like the bundle on Steam has ever gone on sale, while individual games have.

Ooo, I hate these!

Happy for anyone who enjoys these games to see them polished up and more readily available, though. If I think about it, I would be OVER THE MOON for "low poly remasters" of N64 and DS games. (Seriously, Banjo Kazooie with the same old models but in HD looks sublime to me, maybe I just have bad taste!)

Buying them as a set is a pretty big discount vs buying them separately (75 vs 96). Downside: It doesn't look like the bundle on Steam has ever gone on sale, while individual games have.
Even then, buying the bundle is cheaper than buying the 6 individually in one of the 20% sales.

Truly warms my cold black heart to see people planning on getting into FF with these releases!

Count me among those surprised that at least the original XIII hasn’t made it to Switch yet. Seems like a gimme! I think the Gran Pulse section of the game would be a lot better portable to boot

If the pixel font is not available in my preferred language* SE, and by extention Fami, will be hearing about it. 'Cause I'll be complaining about it here no doubt! Crying profusely even! Annoyingly so.

*there's a disclaimer stating that not all languages have it. Which is just incredibly cheap, to put it lighlty, on Square's part

EDIT: That said if all goes well I'm very much looking forward to playing 1 through 6 for the first time ever!

Everyone is talking about the fonts... but I`m I the only one that feels this way?

Played about 15 hours of FF1 Pixel Remaster on my phone.

It took me about 12 hours into the game to realize that the game is stuck on EASY Mode from the PS1 version, with no way to change it.

FF1 worked as some type of D&D Darkest Dungeon, managing your resources, do you keep going deeper into the dungeon and possibly not make it out losing your progress, or do you turn around and go back to town? "Aww No, I made a wrong turn to a dead-end" now I have to go back and I`m just about out of spells.

In Pixel Remaster, any type of tension or depth was taken away.
Items / equipment are all cheaper, your stats are far higher, levels are gained quicker and enemies stats are weaker.
Very difficult to die unless you`ve never played an RPG or are purposely running from every battle.
Which means you are playing for the classic 8-bit "CHAOS!!" Story

Game Includes auto-battle/fast-forward and in-game maps that show you everything including treasure chests / points of interests before you have explored, completely killing the design of maze-like dungeons.
Essentially you can press auto-battle, tap on the screen where you want to go with the map and use extremely cheap high-potions whenever your hp gets low and that is the extent of the gameplay.

It could have been improved with simply: Letting us select non-easy (FF1 Origins) mode and having the in-game map be an auto-map, instead of showing you everything before you have explored it.

Everyone is talking about the fonts... but I`m I the only one that feels this way?

It took me about 12 hours into the game to realize that the game is stuck on EASY Mode from the PS1 version, with no way to change it.

FF1 worked as some type of D&D Darkest Dungeon, managing your resources, do you keep going deeper into the dungeon and possibly not make it out losing your progress, or do you turn around and go back to town? "Aww No, I made a wrong turn to a dead-end" now I have to go back and I`m just about out of spells.

Items / equipment are all cheaper, your stats are far higher, levels are gained quicker and enemies stats are weaker.
Very difficult to die unless you`ve never played an RPG or are purposely running from every battle.

Game Includes auto-battle/fast-forward and in-game maps that show you everything including treasure chests / points of interests before you have explored, completely killing the design of maze-like dungeons.
Essentially you can press auto-battle, tap on the screen where you want to go with the map and use extremely cheap high-potions whenever your hp gets low and that is the extent of the gameplay.

It could have been improved with simply: Letting us select non-easy (FF1 Origins) mode and having the in-game map be an auto-map, instead of showing you everything before you have explored it.
The boosters can also be used to lower (or null) how much exp / gil you gain, so it can be mitagated a little, but everything else is going to be easy. With that said the main issue is that vanilla FF was too hard, and never found the correct balance for later versions

The boosters can also be used to lower (or null) how much exp / gil you gain, so it can be mitagated a little, but everything else is going to be easy. With that said the main issue is that vanilla FF was too hard, and never found the correct balance for later versions

Yep, but with being semi-faithful recreations of the original, and too hard games like darkest dungeon being popular now,
I wish they at least gave you option for original - hard mode.
The FF Origins PS version was a good mix of all the QL Features but giving you the choice to stay close to the original difficulty.

There is mods for the steam version that set everything at the exact values as the PS1 version.

----
Later versions: I purchased the 3ds version last week when eshop was closing and boy are you right.... random battle rate is literally every few steps, with the game still being immensely easy.

Last edited:
Yep, but with being semi-faithful recreations of the original, and too hard games like darkest dungeon being popular now,
I wish they at least gave you option for original - hard mode.
The FF Origins PS version was a good mix of all the QL Features but giving you the choice to stay close to the original difficulty.

There is mods for the steam version that set everything at the exact values as the PS1 version.

----
Later versions: I purchase the 3ds version last week when eshop was closing and boy are you right.... random battle rate is literally every few steps, with the game still being immensely easy.
Yeah they should have learn from Enix and how they tuned DQ1. With that said, I honestly wouldn't want to go through Earth Cave with vanilla FF difficulty ever in my life

I was honestly trying to be as positive as possible but yeah, even these remasters are always going to be a little "quirky" unmodified compared to the community mods available on PC.

These are nice, but also annoyingly inconsistent with FF7-9 on Switch...

Probably would've been better to just have stuck with the classic white background with Amano logo on top, like what FF7-9 on Switch already do.

Outside of FF3? None of the Pixel Remasters are the best versions of any of their respective games. They're perfectly servicable, and you could certainly do worse (I'm looking at YOU FF6 PS1!), but there are better versions of every game out there (except for FF3, where the PR is your only option to play the original 2D game in English).

If you already own these games on GBA/PSP/SNES? The only reason to buy these Pixel Remasters is for the redone OSTs (Which really are sensationally good!), because these games look and play much better on those older platforms.

The Pixel version of FF3 is really interesting because it definitely is using the foundation of the unreleased WSC version of the game. The assets are redone, but elements of it from what we've seen (layouts, intro, etc.,) seem to match from the images we saw over the years. It's honestly not a bad version of Final Fantasy III in the 2D form, and really, after re-playing the Famicom version of Final Fantasy III, you can't really go wrong with either version (well, minus the flashing found on said Famicom version). The other ones, it's absolutely going to be "You're Mileage May Vary" how you feel about them.

If you already own these games on GBA/PSP/SNES? The only reason to buy these Pixel Remasters is for the redone OSTs (Which really are sensationally good!), because these games look and play much better on those older platforms.

They PRs also just play faster, with the animation being more responsive, animations being generally trimmed, and having the auto-battle / fast forward options. The games massively benefited from being rebuilt from scratch in Unity rather than having to deal with decades-old assembly code. The maximum ATB speed that is allowed is also considerably faster than they were in the previous versions, leading to Very Fast / Active being harder than the other versions, so there is an extra level of challenge if you want it.

I don't care about the maps one way or the other, but still like dashing/diagonal/maps/quick save/autosaves make a big difference for a lot of people.

I haven't played the pixel remasters yet (I think I want to wait until the collection is on sale on the eshop) but based on the QOL features I'd be hard-pressed to recommend against picking them up for a newcomer for the series

I played the original Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest at about the same time in the late aughts and they were a lot of fun, I definitely prefer the D&D charge system to an MP system for that first game, but also? Man. Nothing wrong with the stuff they give you in the PR, really. It's there as a historical relic more than anything else, so letting people get through it with a smoother experience makes sense

I do think the original version should be available for folks who want the pure experience, though

Now I haven't heard anything bad about this version of FF2, though, to say nothing of the SNES ones except for some tile scrolling?

Back
Top Bottom