• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters announced for Switch/PS4 Coming Spring 2023 Pre-Orders up on S-E Store

Damn. I wish I could actually buy the physical for switch. I actually want all 6 games on a cart.

Im not even a collector. Just perfer my physical media. And it’s 6 games I would actually replay.
Same here. I'm really happy that they're coming to Switch but really unhappy about how they're bringing them.

I swear to god if they do something similar when they get around to Chrono Trigger... 😤

Nah. Chrono Trigger will be fine cause it’ll be published by Nintendo 😏
denethor-i-wish-that-denethor.gif

Beat me to the punch.

I'm keeping my Square pre-order, but hopefully others can take advantage here.

Eh I’m sticking to my guns, grab the original at launch for curiosities sake, wait for a sale on the rest

Im going to hold out for a regular release I can order on Amazon. It may not happen, but I already have these on Steam Deck with good fonts thanks to the mod. Not in a rush to pay 80 euros or whatever not even knowing how the ports are (they aren't great on PC or mobile without mods thanks to jittery scrolling).

If you're interested, I wouldn't wait too long. Who knows how much supply they have and if there'll be another print after they sell out.

Snagged! Thanks a ton for the tip!

edit: hmm, no order confirmation email from play asia yet. I got one from paypal with an order summary, but not one from play asia. and my account on the website lists past orders, but not this one yet. odd.

Last edited:
We are less than two weeks away from Spring 2023. Where's that release date at?
There are so many H1 Switch games without a release date it's crazy. FF Pixel Remasters and Suikoden 1&2 are literally decades old games, no idea why we are waiting so long.

i never got any kind of confirmation from playasia for my preorder, and my account page doesn’t show the preorder either. but paypal shows the order..

im gonna have to contact playasia about this.

It is now Spring 2023 and we are three months away from FFXVI. What exactly is Square waiting for?

Surely they wouldnt wait until May when TotK is releasing. April is wide open....

It is now Spring 2023 and we are three months away from FFXVI. What exactly is Square waiting for?

Surely they wouldnt wait until May when TotK is releasing. April is wide open....
Does it matter? They're not giving this collection the release it deserves with this $100 SE story only collection. I can't understand how SE has managed to botch every step in the process of these remasters of 1/3 of their most important franchise.

Does it matter? They're not giving this collection the release it deserves with this $100 SE story only collection. I can't understand how SE has managed to botch every step in the process of these remasters of 1/3 of their most important franchise.
It matters to all the folks who preordered a copy.

It matters to me as someone who wants to just buy the games digitally and play them and not feel rushed because they feel like launching them close to Zelda or Final Fantasy XVI. These should've released last year.

I'm sure they're just saving them to kick off their next fiscal year in April, but it makes no sense why they won't just announce a release date.

I'm thinking they will probably launch it on May, I don't see them launching near FFXVI, and April seems to soon as we don't have a launch date yet.

Really waiting on these too. This Spring for me is Advance Wars, TotK, and these stupid Pixel Remasters we’ve seemingly been waiting years for…

Even if it’s not until the last day of Spring it would be nice to at least know when.

Definitely getting II and V, probably getting IV, and umming and erring on if I want III or if I should stick with the 3D remake.

Really waiting on these too. This Spring for me is Advance Wars, TotK, and these stupid Pixel Remasters we’ve seemingly been waiting years for…

Even if it’s not until the last day of Spring it would be nice to at least know when.
I know what you mean. Just tell me when!

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Square shadow dropped this and say physical orders are "on the way".

I’m just planning to grab the original when it drops and will wait for a sale on the rest

People are reportedly receiving an email from Square:

We're not quite ready to reveal the launch date for the FINAL FANTASY PIXEL REMASTER Series on console, (currently listed tentatively for May 31st) but we can tell you it's fast approaching. For our teams to process your order so you receive your FINAL FANTASY I-VI Collection /FINAL FANTASY I-VI PIXEL REMASTER -FF35TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION in time for launch, we will need to start taking payment starting Wednesday, April 5, 2023.

I haven't received one yet, but my pre-order was paid up front already.

Square: Hey guys we are gonna start charging you for your preorders.

Consumer: Okay, when is the game coming out?

Square: Spring 2023

Consumer: It IS Spring 2023

Square: .......... Hey guys we are gonna start charging you for your preorders.

I paid for mine in advance so I can't talk about my case, but if I remember correctly they usually start charging around 2 weeks before launch day.

@Josh5890 Hmm, that email text is pretty interesting. It honestly seems like these releases are being sucked into some larger business/marketing push. Perhaps another FF showcase with these, XVI, Ever Crisis, and Rebirth? Or perhaps it's just Square being Square....

@Josh5890 Hmm, that email text is pretty interesting. It honestly seems like these releases are being sucked into some larger business/marketing push. Perhaps another FF showcase with these, XVI, Ever Crisis, and Rebirth? Or perhaps it's just Square being Square....

You could be right. This could be part of something bigger.

And it could just be Square being Square lol

Square-Enix, here's some free marketing advice for you: if you want your games to sell, stop announcing games left and right and going for the shot gun approach for releases and marketing. Back in December, you announced the Pixel Remasters for console (almost a year later than pc/mobile) for a Spring 2023 release date and remained silent ever since. You then proceeded to release FF Theatrhytm and Octopath 2 right on top of each other instead of holding Theatrhythm and pairing it with a huge FF Anniversary push and releasing it alongside the pixel remasters. Once Spring 2023 hit you remain dead silent regarding the pixel remasters release date outside of telling your fans you were gonna charge them for their preorders. While you remain silent regarding these highly anticipated remasters, you announce a port for Live a Live for PS4/5/Steam and will be dropping it in a little over three weeks when you should be releasing the pixel remasters. Now you're either gonna release the pixel remasters on top of live a live, or on top of tears of the kingdom, or on top of you flagship game FF16.

Long story short, here's the advice. You have no idea what the fuck you're doing. Slow down for a minute, release the RPGs you already have announced. Stop burying your games. Stop sending things out to die. Take a breath and actually hype up your games one at a time instead of dropping them all on top of each other with very little fanfare.

Sincerely,
Someone who knows literally nothing about marketing.

Square-Enix, here's some free marketing advice for you: if you want your games to sell, stop announcing games left and right and going for the shot gun approach for releases and marketing. Back in December, you announced the Pixel Remasters for console (almost a year later than pc/mobile) for a Spring 2023 release date and remained silent ever since. You then proceeded to release FF Theatrhytm and Octopath 2 right on top of each other instead of holding Theatrhythm and pairing it with a huge FF Anniversary push and releasing it alongside the pixel remasters. Once Spring 2023 hit you remain dead silent regarding the pixel remasters release date outside of telling your fans you were gonna charge them for their preorders. While you remain silent regarding these highly anticipated remasters, you announce a port for Live a Live for PS4/5/Steam and will be dropping it in a little over three weeks when you should be releasing the pixel remasters. Now you're either gonna release the pixel remasters on top of live a live, or on top of tears of the kingdom, or on top of you flagship game FF16.

Long story short, here's the advice. You have no idea what the fuck you're doing. Slow down for a minute, release the RPGs you already have announced. Stop burying your games. Stop sending things out to die. Take a breath and actually hype up your games one at a time instead of dropping them all on top of each other with very little fanfare.

Sincerely,

In an alternate universe (not that I want to see it) I wonder how Square would be fairing these days without their ATM, aka Final Fantasy XIV Online. Having that cash flow lets them get away with some of the more questionable decisions that we see on a daily basis.

I've played all of these games countless times. Why am I so excited for this? Lol

Because they sound better, look better, and play better. Wonderful OSTs, full screen support, in the correct colors for the display you're probably going to play on, with animations and UI trimmed to flow better in battle.

I failed at every attempt to replay FF games for over a decade before these came out, but did a full set of 7 (FF3 twice) playthroughs so far and will be playing more soon.

The features are coming to PC but likely not for a few more weeks. Rapid development on SteamDB began just about when it looks like work stopped on the console versions, which is a sign of them pivoting back to PC and implementing those changes.

Watched some video reviews and I'm wavering again. The stutter does bother me but I think I could zone it out. The text is OK, but I think they should have gone for a bolder, larger font. It's going to be quite small on my modest-sized TV (42 inch). But I love the new maps, the windscreen support, the music player, etc. I take it battle speed up is a given?

Watched some video reviews and I'm wavering again. The stutter does bother me but I think I could zone it out. The text is OK, but I think they should have gone for a bolder, larger font. It's going to be quite small on my modest-sized TV (42 inch). But I love the new maps, the windscreen support, the music player, etc. I take it battle speed up is a given?
For what it's worth, I was playing FF2 on a 55" TV and the font was fine to my eyes (although a bigger font would be nice for sure).

I've never played these games before. Does anyone have a recommendation for playing with the classic soundtracks or the redone soundtracks? I'm leaning towards the classic music to get the retro experience.

Decided to start with FF1 as it's the one I havent played in more than 10 years and having a blast. Really makes it appreciate how things have evolved untill now. Went wit Fighter/Monk/WM/BM. Also not gonna lie, but I don't notice the stuttering or maybe I'm used to it. As far as I can tell the DQ1 port version it's worse in this regard, and I played it like 10 times.

I've never played these games before. Does anyone have a recommendation for playing with the classic soundtracks or the redone soundtracks? I'm leaning towards the classic music to get the retro experience.
If its your first time I would go with the classic OST and then later change it. You can appreciate better the redone tracks once you know what the original sound like, but you can't go wrong in this one

Just popping in to say I've played a few hours of FF1 as well and don't notice the stuttering at all, so it might be an overblown issue.

Immediately caved and bought FFIV. I haven't actually finished or even played most of these. IV seems like it's pretty short so I can hopefully finish it before Zelda comes out.

Just wanna say one more time: it’s really nice to know a bunch of people here are playing Final Fantasy right now! Just feels right

For what it's worth, I was playing FF2 on a 55" TV and the font was fine to my eyes (although a bigger font would be nice for sure).

The default font is a fine size in practice. JPEG and video compression and looking at something in a compressed window on a monitor or phone do it no service. I guess it sucked for aesthetic purposes but in readability it was fine, other than some rare elements of the party UI screen.

Immediately caved and bought FFIV. I haven't actually finished or even played most of these. IV seems like it's pretty short so I can hopefully finish it before Zelda comes out.

Granted, these were replays of games I played over a decade ago, but I think my times for the six PRs were:

8/10/12/8/20/20 hours, or something like that. 5 and 6 are the only two games to have substantial meat. 4 is short, linear, fast paced, and the new exp curve flattens the difficulty spike at the moon while having little impact on the rest of the game.

The new music is superb. They're just wonderful live instrumentations (300 in total) built on what worked from the original compositions, while also doubling many tracks in length by doing new instrumentation on the loop. It really helps with the tracks you hear a ton like the battle tracks and world themes.

Just popping in to say I've played a few hours of FF1 as well and don't notice the stuttering at all, so it might be an overblown issue.

Some people are more sensitive than others, it can depend on your resolution and display type, and the "classic" filter reduces the feel of the issue. It also differs from game to game for a few minor reasons, with FF6 getting it the worst.

I wasn't hugely bothered by it, and the "solve it with this one simple step!" don't actually solve the issue fully. I would use an option for sub-pixel scrolling, but this is unfortunately like the originals with a pixel being a pixel outside of the UI.

Sincerely,

What do you expect? If they release 20 games per year, they inherently have stuff close to eachother, and even closer if they don't release games in the summer dead zone or within a few weeks of Christmas.

Once you start getting outraged at when ports release, well, then, it's all just fucked. Are you seriously saying they should arbitrarily be delaying ports (of ports of ports) so they get some slightly larger sales bump months later, even when the entire point is based on back catalog legs and not some initial launch spike?

Ports are done when they are done or when a deal window ends, and just sitting on them like the Disney vault is shitty. The PRs finished launching in February of 2022, then they spent 6 months improving and patching those, and then they spent 6 months on ports of those 6 games to 2 more platforms, and now they are going back and patching the PC/mobile versions again. And you want them to... sit on them longer?

Last edited:
I bought the bundle on Switch and started FF1. It's very charming. Even I don't finished Stranger of Paradise yet I like get the "references" 😸

Back
Top Bottom