• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters announced for Switch/PS4 Coming Spring 2023 Pre-Orders up on S-E Store

I know it's been complained to death about but the fonts in this are still ugly as fuck, if they're going to charge that much they could have touched them up to look presentable. I'll buy the last couple I want on Steam when they're a bit cheaper.

Is this our first $70+ physical Switch cartridge? If so, I'm hardly surprised that it's a S-E published title.

I'm going to hop on the waitlist for the standard in the hopes that there's additional printings down the line. I'd really like to have this on the shelf to go with the imports I've done for prior re-releases.

Sold out already 😒 I don’t understand Square at all.
I'm legit wondering if this is a problem with the NA division specifically. Outside of Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age their handling of the mainline FF back catalog has been atrocious:
  • Final Fantasy VII & VIII: every other region got a physical double-pack except the US
  • Final Fantasy IX: never went physical outside of JP/Asia
  • Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD: In the US, physical includes a digital voucher for X-2, JP/Asia it's on the cartridge

I can somewhat understand not wanting to put out physical niche JRPGs in the US because it's probably a logistical pain to stock stores in the region for things that'll probably sell 100k at best. But dropping the ball consistently on their largest franchise is just something else.

And they had to know this was going to either be scalped to hell and back with the limited quantities, or that people would look at the $250 CE and say "naw dog, I'm good" and pick up the standard.

Really just flabbergasted that they thought "limited quantities" was going to fly for something people have been steadily asking for since the first drop on Steam.

Sold out already 😒 I don’t understand Square at all.
Man, this. I feel they could do pretty well releasing this as a normal physical release. Kinda bummed out by this. I don't hate digital but prefer physical. Plus, these games actually deserve shelve space I feel.

We got full retail releases of DioField Chronicles, Harvestella, and Tactics Ogre. But Final Fantasy gets an overpriced, “extremely limited” physical release.

Very cool. Thanks, Square.

Sure is reasonable to put up this ‘extremely limited’ preorder at 4am on a Sunday. I was totally awake and able to get a copy.

It's already sold out within hours. I wasn't going to buy it for this price, but could it hurt SE for them to print out a decent amount of copies and sell them at retailers?

What? I don’t get you all?

You DON’T expect a series as major as Final Fantasy, with their remakes of the first 6 titles, all which debuted on Nintendo consoles thus being potentially highly attracted to Nintendo fans, to not be dropped on a random Sunday midnight with extreme limited physical quantity for their subpar online store, not made available to retailers for your convenience?

Next y’all gonna tell me that the 24 dollar shipping fee is ridiculous.

I honestly didn't think they would offer an even close to $70 package, considering how expensive the bundles are (were? soon to be changed?) on Steam and iOS. Next year already feels pretty packed but..there's always time for FF.

1 is the main one I’d consider near launch. Rest are on the wait for a sale list

I think it’s that price because that’s what the bundle cost on pc/mobile.
Oh sure, I totally expected this to be at least $60 MSRP because there's no way they're going to sell this collection on the cheap physically.

Individually each of these games is worth $10-15 without a doubt. Ok, maybe not 2 depending on how you get on with SaGa but it's hard to say the pricing isn't fair.

I personally wouldn’t expect this to be the start of 70 for Switch games.
I was definitely being a touch facetious, but if anyone is going to make a go at $70 for a Switch title Square-Enix is definitely one of the top candidates.

I'll add it to the list of "maybe down the line when it goes on sale"

I think it’s that price because that’s what the bundle cost on pc/mobile. I personally wouldn’t expect this to be the start of 70 for Switch games.
I wish it was only 70, then there might have been a real chance of SE doing a more widely available physical version. The fact it's 75 is likely why this physical version is limited run only available via the SE store.

Many reasons to want to know to Japanese, but golly, I wish I could read it so that I could play those versions of the remasters and completely bypass the horrid Arial Narrow font they have going on.

Glad it's finally coming to consoles, but having the physical release locked to their store in limited quantities with a high shipping charge is pretty stupid. I'll probably just buy a few of them digitally on sale.

The more I think about it, I'm pretty sure that Square is producing only a few thousand of the standard editions at best. The game went up at midnight in the US and sold out within the hour. There was no fanfare when it was announced so this really was out of the blue. The purchase and shipping cost really threw off some people, so they were hesitant to purchase. Basically, this should not have sold out that quickly.

Here's the things i missed over the weekend:

• Officially anounced
  • Opening preorders
  • Selling out

Good job SQEX. I really like to know for what reason the standard physical release is not only super expensive (for a standard edition) but also exclusive to the SQEX Stores.

• Officially anounced
  • Opening preorders
  • Selling out

Good job SQEX. I really like to know for what reason the standard physical release is not only super expensive (for a standard edition) but also exclusive to the SQEX Stores.
Square Enix and baffling decisions

Name a more iconic duo

• Officially anounced
  • Opening preorders
  • Selling out

Each game individually is sold for $15 on Steam so that's probably they arrived at the $75 price for the full collection. However, when you add in the shipping costs from their stupid store, it balloons up to over $100.

I went ahead and pre-ordered the $300 one that comes with a bunch of shit I don’t want while it was still in stock.

I would like get them for Switch, but I doubt the new font will be that better, and more important, they will be very expensive. I have FF III on Steam so I will continue to get them there at my own pace.

If they were smart they would just give us like 5 different options, that way even if they're all subpar people will stop complaining because at least they have a preferred one.
I'm enough of a font nerd that I would actually prefer this. Let me make the decision, dammit 😅

I figured Collection of Mana would be pretty short-lived as a physical product, but we still see it go on sale pretty regularly 3 years later. I guess I'm a little surprised they're being so short on what's a much bigger franchise.

I figured Collection of Mana would be pretty short-lived as a physical product, but we still see it go on sale pretty regularly 3 years later. I guess I'm a little surprised they're being so short on what's a much bigger franchise.

The only logic I can come up with is that either the demand for the Mana Collection was extremely low, or someone goofed up and green-lit a million-copy print run and ended up flooding the market.

That one is kind of bizarre.

I think I am going to buy these games one at a time and play them in order once they ultimately drop. I have yet to ever play FF1, 2, and 5.

• Officially anounced
  • Opening preorders
  • Selling out

Yeah, it... went live at around 1:00AM EST. Shockingly, the site got a lot of heavy traffic, despite the time zone difference, so a lot of people tried to get it, it seems. I managed to get in and was going to place an order, then I saw the shipping prices. That was really what made me not get it (cheapest shipping was $24, with the higher being $33 range, and I was not about to spend $100 on this) and this was the basic package edition, too.

I'm praying and hoping this gets a regular release in Asia and Japan down the road, because this is ridiculous.

V surprised me as it was a really good game. I hope you enjoy it!
5 is great, while being very different from 4 and 6. It gives story and character more of a backseat in favor of focusing more on mechanical jobs/combat and more dungeon crawling, especially later in the game. I still like 6 more, but 5 has a lot of charm and uniqueness going for it that make it really enjoyable. If you like Bravely Default, I feel like it has a ton of roots in FF5.

5 is great, while being very different from 4 and 6. It gives story and character more of a backseat in favor of focusing more on mechanical jobs/combat and more dungeon crawling, especially later in the game. I still like 6 more, but 5 has a lot of charm and uniqueness going for it that make it really enjoyable. If you like Bravely Default, I feel like it has a ton of roots in FF5.
I actually think 5 story and characters hold their own against the other 16 bits entries. 4 is more dramatic but also kind of way over the top. 5 is more restrained and lighthearted but sometimes for the better. I think the tragic scenes are all the more poignant.

If you like Bravely Default, I feel like it has a ton of roots in FF5.
You’re close, but it’s 3 that Asano cites as the inspiration for BD based on what he said in the Ultimania Archive books that were released a while back. Which makes a lot of sense since 3 was also pure turn-based combat vs 5 being ATB. And Asano’s group got their big breakout with the DS remake.

5 is great though with how it basically takes 3 and overhauls it for the SNES. It tends to get overlooked in the West (same with 3) because it was passed over for localization on the SNES due to the difficulty (really it’s not that hard) compared to 4. I think if it had released between 4 and 6 like in Japan it would be fondly remembered.

slight tangent: there’s probably an argument that 4 is the logical successor to 2 due to the story and being over the top melodramatic, and 5 is the successor to 3 which was the successor to the first game. 6 is really its own thing, sorta taking the evil empire trope from 2/4 and mashing it with their first attempt at deconstructing the job system which lays the ground work for some of the systems in 7 and 8.

Last edited:
You’re close, but it’s 3 that Asano cites as the inspiration for BD based on what he said in the Ultimania Archive books that were released a while back. Which makes a lot of sense since 3 was also pure turn-based combat vs 5 being ATB. And Asano’s group got their big breakout with the DS remake.
Even if he said that, 3's job system was pretty limited, though, right? Compared to FFV and BD where you can mix and match jobs/skills.

Even if he said that, 3's job system was pretty limited, though, right? Compared to FFV and BD where you can mix and match jobs/skills.
Yup! My understanding is that you don't get the flex slot to drop in skills/passives from other classes. FFV definitely built upon it into what's used as a base for Tactics and BD.

Looks like they are restocking physical editions but they keep selling out in a matter of minutes seconds

Damn. I wish I could actually buy the physical for switch. I actually want all 6 games on a cart.

Im not even a collector. Just perfer my physical media. And it’s 6 games I would actually replay.

Back
Top Bottom