• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Favorite 3D Mario?

do we really need this part

• Super Mario 64/DS

Votes: 23 8.8%
  • Super Mario Sunshine

Votes: 14 5.4%
  • Super Mario Galaxy

Votes: 48 18.4%
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2

Votes: 54 20.7%
  • Super Mario 3D Land

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Super Mario 3D World

Votes: 28 10.7%
  • Super Mario Odyssey

Votes: 91 34.9%
  • Bowser's Fury

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
I'm not usually a fan of the idea of Nintendo remaking games that are readily available on the current platform

Yet despite that if there was one game I wish Nintendo would remake no matter how unrealistic, it would be Super Mario Sunshine

That is a game that has so much wasted potential, and it's sad that it will never be fully realized. I played it for the first time in the 3D All-Stars collection, and it makes such a bad first impression. The missions starting out can be weirdly confusing to navigate to, F.L.U.D.D takes a while to get used to as he stops your momentum in its tracks until you properly realize how to use him (and even then I'd honestly say it's way worse than Cappi), the whole concept of a gun that you're not really supposed to wase time aiming is bizarre, and a lot of the game is just incredibly jank. The multiple nozzles concept never really works as well as the developers wanted either, as every other nozzle other than the hover one cap your movement way too much, I get why this is the case as chaining together nozzles would break the platforming, but I can't help but think they should have found some way to make that work (maybe a sub-tank like Splatoon?).

And honestly, as much as people talk about the jankyness of Sunshine, I think some of its underlying problems would be much harder to solve - the missions and how verbose they are is not criticized enough, most missions just aren't very intuitive. Pretty much every hotel mission, for example, is just kind of bad, and while I can at least appreciate what they were going for, only some of them are executed even somewhat well. Mysterious Hotel is at least a mostly decent execution of the concept even if it can be somewhat confusing, what is The Manta Storm Shine's excuse? Which takes an amazing concept like Mario facing off against a bunch of enemies that won't let him touch the ground - and slowly degrades it to a boring slog of a mission where you have to hunt for every little manta ray.

That being said, it's still my second favorite 3D Mario. It just does a lot of cool things that the other games don't do as often or as well. Its dedication to atmosphere and sense of place is fantastic, the Metroid like qualities of Delfino plaza as you unlock more nozzles is amazing, and perhaps biggest of all for me - its the only 3D Mario thats even somewhat challenging where I like the controls. Everything people say about Sunshine's base controls is how I feel about Mario 64's, and Galaxy's controls are the worst in the entire 3D series, Sunshine by comparison is very fun to control and I find that Mario's base movement is not nearly as bad to me as it seems to be to other people. To be clear, I'm not saying 64 isn't fun to control, but that the moment the game gets challenging - its usually because the controls have fucked up, which I don't find is the case with Sunshine. This goes along way as its basically the only 3D Mario that is challenging and also fun to control at the same time for me.

I'll also add that Sunshine's special stages are more fun to me than the entirety of the original Galaxy.

Would it be fair to combine both galaxy results. I mean, smg2 is more of a huge dlc of the first one. I dont think that any other mario could be compared to another one besides galaxy.

Based on that, if we sum both galaxy votes, its the clear winner. Thats why we need smg3

I adore both Galaxy games, but I've got to say it felt very satisfying to vote for 2 and see that it is ahead of the first one.

I see so many comments online about how it's supposedly a mere expansion pack and sometimes I worry that discourse will overshadow just how absolutely fantastic and inventive that game is. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the industry's equivalent to an amusement mark.

Nintendo won't rerelease Galaxy 2 because they don't want Zoomers to find out it's actually better then galaxy 1

Galaxy 2 >>> 3D World > 64 > Bowser's Fury > Galaxy > Odyssey > Sunshine > 3D Land

Galaxy 2 is on another level from every other Mario game in level design and presentation. 3D World is disappointing in comparison, but with the Switch version giving it the pacing of the classic Mario games it imitates, it ends up being a very good platformer in its own right. 64 for all that it's antiquated still plays like nothing else and has a really compelling gameplay loop. Bowser's Fury is the only game to replicate it, though it has lesser movement and also ends up coming across more like one world from a really really bloated game than a full game in its own right. The first Galaxy suffers from gimmicks over platforming and is mostly filler, the big moments still carry the critical path but go for the other 60 stars and there are some shockingly awful ones. Odyssey is mid. Sunshine is busted but there's fun to be had with it, with the right mods I could potentially put it ahead of Odyssey. 3D Land has two good levels.

Would it be fair to combine both galaxy results. I mean, smg2 is more of a huge dlc of the first one. I dont think that any other mario could be compared to another one besides galaxy.

Based on that, if we sum both galaxy votes, its the clear winner. Thats why we need smg3
While both Mario Galaxy games are built from the same mechanical framework, I would absolutely not grade them together. Their structures, their level design ethos, their moods and atmospheres, their difficulty curve, all of those are enough to make the two feel like distinct entities even as a direct sequel.

You could make a solid argument that the two Galaxy games are most distinct from each other than, say, Mario 1 and Lost Levels, or the NSMB games from each other.

Galaxy 2 is decent but there are several things bringing it down for me. Firstly it's way too over reliant on Prankster comets. The Chimp minigames were duds. I also wasn't a fan of some of the more gimmicky stuff like the flying through the rings levels. The powerups were also kind of dull... Cloud Mario was very OP but not really fun to use, nor was the rock rolling powerup, and I don't think fast Yoshi and balloon Yoshi were utilized in particularly fun or creative ways. I also didn't like the smaller Galaxy approach with more galaxies but less objectives per each one. A lot of the galaxies themselves felt like less interesting versions of ones from the first game (Slipsand Galaxy was not as good as Dusty Dune Galaxy, Freezy Flake Galaxy was not as good as Freezeflame Galaxy, Melty Monster Galaxy was not good as Melty Molten Galaxy, Space Storm Galaxy was not as good as Dreadnaught Galaxy, etc).

I also didn't like how Galaxy 2 was even more linear and narrower than the first game. It also relied less on gravity and upside-down mechanics/level design than the first game, which were my favorite parts of the series. And I always dislike when a game uses recycled content, and it wasn't very fun to replay levels from the first game, and even Mario 64 (Though I did like the remixed tune there). Speaking of tunes, the music is good, but again, not quite as good as Galaxy 1. It's still a good game, but a very underwhelming sequel for me after being absolutely blown away by the first.

While both Mario Galaxy games are built from the same mechanical framework, I would absolutely not grade them together. Their structures, their level design ethos, their moods and atmospheres, their difficulty curve, all of those are enough to make the two feel like distinct entities even as a direct sequel.

You could make a solid argument that the two Galaxy games are most distinct from each other than, say, Mario 1 and Lost Levels, or the NSMB games from each other.

I mean i agree that the poll is correct including both. I dont agree with all you points about different moods and atmosphere. Its not all that different. The gameplay remains the same. The music is the same mood. The levels are a bit more advanced then the first one and are harder. But still with all those factors, they are like much much much closer too eachother than any other 3d mario game.

However beside my different opinion on this which isnt that relevant to my point imo. The gimmick remains the same. So even if smg3 would contain a bit of both smg, its still the main setup that is the most important one which is gravity. Based on those score, its clear people prefer that mechanic over mario odessy.

Not sure how else you can say its not the case.

And yep, smg is not for everyone. But they could renew it to have bigger more openworld and maybe even combine the 2 most wanted mechanics.

From my personal taste, i dont want another mario sunshine or bowser furry

64 > Odyssey > Sunshine > 3D World > Galaxy 2 > Galaxy > 3D Land

Every time i replay 64 my opinion of the game keeps getting better, as opposed to the Galaxy games where each subsequent playthrough has worsen my opinion about those, i loved them when i was younger but here we are now. Tedious and slow games as well as very minimal movement options compared to my top 3D picks, mostly due to how linear they are but it doesn't make for a fun time to play through them again imo.

I'm not including BF because it's too short but if we had a full game of something like that i'd rank it between Odyssey and Sunshine probably.

I prefer collectathons to goal post platformers but the execution of galaxy 1/2 is just too much for me to overlook so I choose those.

Galaxy movement is pretty underrated. It's slower and floatier, but it still retains a lot of the freeform spirit of the previous games. You can do some surprisingly cool stuff. The jank of the sphere walking mechanic and the way it occasionally freaks out and starts you running in circles even on flat ground are the main strikes against it in my eyes. I still prefer it to the way any of the later games play, they finally excised the issues the previous 3D Marios experienced at the cost of what made them fun to control.

I don't know if I am happier about Sunshine being snubbed or sadder about 3D World not getting there love it deserves

Back
Top Bottom