• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Favorite 3D Mario?

do we really need this part

• Super Mario 64/DS

Votes: 23 8.8%
  • Super Mario Sunshine

Votes: 14 5.4%
  • Super Mario Galaxy

Votes: 48 18.4%
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2

Votes: 54 20.7%
  • Super Mario 3D Land

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Super Mario 3D World

Votes: 28 10.7%
  • Super Mario Odyssey

Votes: 91 34.9%
  • Bowser's Fury

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

Mekanos

300 Years Of Gyudon
Pronouns
he/they
It's time. You knew this thread was coming. Well I did. Because I'm making it.

I debated separating 3D World and Bowser's Fury but I'm actually curious if anybody has BF has their unquestioned favorite 3D Mario and 3DW has enough to stand on its own two feet. Anyway, you can check my first post on this site for which one I voted for.

i am a linear 3d mario guy and im still partial to galaxy 2 as my favorite of all time.

but!

3d world is very close, and i've replayed it to completionist 3+ times at this point and never get bored. the deluxe version was even better with the speed boost. alas i still voted galaxy 2, hopefully some day we have a way to play the goat on the sweeeeeeeeeetch.

Galaxy 2 took really fine-tuned the tightness of the first game and rolled it into a great package. Hard to go wrong there and it still remains the most enjoyable Mario game I played from start to finish.

I keep going back and forth on this one. For the longest time I have said Mario 64. I know that nostalgia plays into that but it is easily the most replayable game in the series for me. Odyssey would take the crown but at 883~1,000 moons it is definitely bloated.

I feel like if I ever did a replay of Galaxy 2, it would probably take the prize.

Call it recency bias, but I really think Odyssey is the best 3D Mario. Just moving on that game feels SO good

This is always one of the hardest polls to answer. It took me a while to admit something topped Mario 64, but Odyssey did. Every game in this poll is amazing, with 5 of them approaching GOAT status.

Odyssey > Galaxy > 64 > Galaxy 2 > 3D Land > 3D World > Sunshine

I haven't played Bowser's Fury yet.

I finally completed 64 for the first time last year and was pretty damn impressed at how well it held up, but Odyssey and Galaxy are masterpieces.

64 is a damn great game, and it plays better than like 90%+ of 3d games that come out today despite being a first try. but 3d mario totally got better level design and flow through the years.
Yup yup. Mario 64 holds up against other 3D platformers but not really against other Mario games

Sunshine or Bust.

I actually have really great memories from childhood attached to that game so it's a no brainer!

Galaxy 2 only because it improves on Galaxy 1 in every conceivable way.

Levels, ability, challenges, and etc. It has the best replay value of a Mario game. Odyssey would be a good pick, but the heavy collectathon nature of the game makes it tedious at times. Plus it isn't as challenging as Galaxy 2.

Mario 64, still holds up amazingly, so many cool uses of 3d space that are wonderfully innovative, such as entering a painting in a mirror, entering the big or small painting for tiny huge island, or the height at which you jump into wet dry world affecting the starting water level.

Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are two parts of one of the best games ever, so I can't vote.

Okay, I'll vote Galaxy 2 but I'm not happy about it.

My vote goes to 3D World. Just a total blast to play. Second would definitely be 64. For some reason I kinda bounced off of the later collectathon games, but really love 64 for some reason.

Democracy was a goddamn mistake
gEPDz60.png

Tough choice between Galaxy 1 and 2 for me. I'll go with 1 cause Gusty Garden's music is too good and I like Rosalina's storybook. I definitely love both games.

Galaxy 2 > Galaxy > Odyssey > 3D Land > 3D World > 64 > Sunshine

Nintendo, Mario needs a Yoshi, bring him a Yoshi!

Super Mario Galaxy is pure gaming magic. The right mix of solid and creative game mechanics, with the presentation adding a lot of spectacle. Galaxy 2 is also incredible but that first play through with Galaxy remains special to me.

Last edited:
Super Mario 3D world > Super Mario Galaxy 2 > Super Mario Galaxy 1 > Super Mario 3D land > Super Mario 64 (Never played sunshine(

back in the day i was a sunshine defender. i was also a galaxy hater - (loose controls, imprecise platforming, forced camera angles, sluggish mario, gimmick levels)

however after revisiting them in 3D all stars galaxy has become #1 and sunshine was nigh unplayable (for a mario game), though i think that may be attributed to the input delay in the sunshine port. that game does require precise platforming and cause of the delayed input i was straight up running off of platforms to my doom.

honestly though i think each mario game is better than the last, making bowsers fury the best. but i gotta live with it for a while. meanwhile going back to galaxy was pure fun.

The awe and wonder of floating in the vastness of space with that amazing live orchestrated soundtrack in galaxy is an impression I'll never be able to shake, coupled with the new and exciting Wii, it was a good time to be playing video games. 3D World is also so damn good too, the moment to moment gameplay is intoxicating, it's always throwing new things at you, and they never outstay their welcome. Damn I think mario games are good.

Galaxy. Odyssey would be the best if it wasn't bloated with a couple hundred too many moons. 64 is platforming GENIUS but has become dated over time. Still one of the best games ever made.

For me it’s Odyssey, mostly because it’s just so fun to control Mario. I love the aesthetics of the Galaxy games (that OST is one of the GOATs), but Mario feels somewhat clunky and limited imo. 64 is obviously amazing but it has definitely aged a fair bit.

I gotta go with Odyssey here, it’s just perfect. But 64 and Galaxy are really really close. Honestly it was tough for me to choose between the three of them.

Sunshine blows.

3d World (switch version). This game feels like the first true sequel to Super Mario World (my favorite game of all time), and I just find playing it pure joy.

I don't have the same kind of fondness for 64 as many do, and while it has its moments, Sunshine is not great. I enjoyed Odyssey a lot when playing for the first time, but I feel like a lot of the enjoyment came from surprises (e.g. with moons, levels) and it hasn't been as great when replaying it later. The movement with both Mario and the captured enemies is always an absolute joy though.

In general the more linear games are closer to my preferences. If I had played Galaxy 2 a little more recently, that might be it, but now I'm leaning towards 3D World.

I'd like to give a honorary mention to Bowser's Fury as well. I really like the platforming, and the fast-running 3D World -like movement feels great in a more open setting. The Bowser attacks are a nice concept that doesn't work as well in practise and I was occasionally confused by having to leave an island and return to be able to get the next shine. It's not as perfect as other Mario games (Sunshine excluded, sorry) tend to be, but it is more interesting than many.

I had so much fun playing odyssey it’s gotta be that.
The controls are absolutely perfect, I love it

I really think 3D Mario has just gotten better and better over time. I voted for Odyssey, because Mario controls like an absolute dream and that game has a ton of content. But I want to spotlight Bowser’s Fury as well. While I don’t think it was able to match Odyssey, I absolutely loved my time with it. Exploring a vast area with a huge variety of platforming challenges is exactly where I wanted to see 3D Mario go, and I think Bowser’s fury shows that it can be done. Very excited to see what the next 3D Mario looks like, and whether it expands on Odyssey, Bowser’s Fury, or if it does something completely different

As someone who is decidedly not a Mario person (except for Paper and Kart), Odyssey is the only 3D one I played for more than a couple of hours, and actually ended up completing. So definitely that.

Plus, it is fantastic.

I thought they'd never top Galaxy. Then Galaxy 2 came out. Surely they could never top that. Then Odyssey came out. Pure genius (except for Jaxi)

Odyssey is the reason I'm even here. It set in motion a series of events that turned me into a proper gamer.

For that, it must BURN IN HELL!

I thought they'd never top Galaxy. Then Galaxy 2 came out. Surely they could never top that. Then Odyssey came out. Pure genius (except for Jaxi)

Odyssey is the reason I'm even here. It set in motion a series of events that turned me into a proper gamer.

For that, it must BURN IN HELL!
There truly is no worse fate than to be a gamer.

Back
Top Bottom