• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Favorite 3D Mario?

do we really need this part

• Super Mario 64/DS

Votes: 23 8.8%
  • Super Mario Sunshine

Votes: 14 5.4%
  • Super Mario Galaxy

Votes: 48 18.4%
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2

Votes: 54 20.7%
  • Super Mario 3D Land

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Super Mario 3D World

Votes: 28 10.7%
  • Super Mario Odyssey

Votes: 91 34.9%
  • Bowser's Fury

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
3D Land was the first Mario game that won me over with no caveats; but as 3D World improved upon everything about it, I can't vote on any other option; It's truly the formula I wanted Mario to stick with.

Of course, I also adore the Galaxy games, but the 64/Sunshine/Odyssey template is not exactly my cup of tea. Still fantastic games (Sunshine aside...), but I rather play something more true to the franchise roots.

Last edited:
I think Super Mario Galaxy overtook Odyssey for me when I first played it as part of 3D All-Stars. But Odyssey is still a fantastic game. So is 3D World, for that matter. Haven't played Galaxy 2 or 3D Land.

For me, as someone who did not grow up on 64, I find it has not aged particularly well. If you were to ask me which of these games is the most important, it would be 64, hands down. But in my opinion it's simply the least fun to play today.

Sunshine is fine, I guess.

64 is great to play, but it (like most of the 3D games from that era) has not aged well visually.

Give me a 64 remake on the Odyssey engine and it would rocket up to #1 in an instant.
For me, as someone who did not grow up on 64, I find it has not aged particularly well. If you were to ask me which of these games is the most important, it would be 64, hands down. But in my opinion it's simply the least fun to play today.
I'm here to tell you, as someone who was in his teenage years in the 64 era, it's not a lack of sentimentality, it just didn't age all that great.

Odyssey is my favorite

Also first post, testing, and thanks for the approval Peachy.

asZgJkP.png

Alright, some joker voted for Sunshine. Will you come on down and explain yourself?

Mario 64 not being number one fills me with unreasonable levels of fury and rage. :(

I voted for SM64 even if I know deep down in my heart that 3D World (+ Bowser's Fury) and Odyssey are better games.

Nostalgia wins.

Mario Galaxy 2. I hope that the new 3D Kirby game being "essentially Mario Odyssey 2" hints that Mario Galaxy 3 is in development. :)
Can you elaborate on this? Kirby 3d looked pretty linear to me, more like 3D world with more dynamic fixed camera angles.

Can you elaborate on this? Kirby 3d looked pretty linear to me, more like 3D world with more dynamic fixed camera angles.

It looks like they took the capture mechanic from Odyssey and inserted it into the 3D Kirby game. It works because Kirby already has an ability that is similar.

Hmm...going through the 3D Mario games again via the remasters recently has begun to shift my opinions. It made me better appreciate the advancements and improvements made with Super Mario Odyssey. Between it and Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury, I have to give the edge to the former, if only because it's more realized but I'd love to see how far they can take the latter

Galaxy 1 is immortal.

But honestly Bowser's Fury isn't too far behind. If that's the future of 3D Mario, I'll cry happy tears.

For me it's Odyssey and it's not even close. I absolutely love when games have me doing new and interesting things from start to finish, and Odyssey not ONCE lets up on the creativity, imagination and unique mechanics. Just an absolute banger from top to fuckin bottom, gas pedal claustrophobically sandwiched between foot and floor for the entire duration.

Galaxy or Galaxy 2. With a slight edge to Galaxy 2. What it loses in term of "lore" and melancolic atmosphere it gains in terms of pure gameplay imo.

Replayed Mario 64 on NSO last week and found myself basically playing it nonstop, beating it more or less in two sittings lol. Still would put 3D World at the top but it's close. 3D Mario games are pretty good, as they say.

My heart still belongs to Galaxy 2, but for my money this is the best video game series there is. There’s really no other series for me that has managed to maintain such a consistently excellent level of quality that 3D Mario has over 64/SMG/SMG2/3D World/SMO.

I too an a linear Mario guy, so Galaxy and 3D World are my favorites.

But my number one pick? 3D World. Excellent level design, music, and art style. Also, I love how much it took from Super Mario Bros. 2. Only thing that would have made the game even better is having Wart, Mouser, and Birdo make appearances. But it is my favorite 3D Mario game.

Second favorite? Odyssey. Third? Galaxy 1.

While all of them are great except Sunshine, personally I think Odyssey is the best. Love all the different ways you can get Moons in it, and love the huge variety of worlds! Plus the capturing mechanic is really great, leads to a lot of fun puzzles and setpieces. After this one, I'd say Galaxy 2 is the second best. Pure platforming perfection!

I also LOVE Bowser's Fury, but it's so short I can hardly compare it to the others.

lumping together 64 and 64DS to try and skew the polls... chilling

3D World used to be my second favorite, but without miiverse it's just depressing to play. It's like the video game form of realizing you are physically aging and will eventually die and be forgotten.

While all of them are great except Sunshine, personally I think Odyssey is the best. Love all the different ways you can get Moons in it, and love the huge variety of worlds! Plus the capturing mechanic is really great, leads to a lot of fun puzzles and setpieces. After this one, I'd say Galaxy 2 is the second best. Pure platforming perfection!

I also LOVE Bowser's Fury, but it's so short I can hardly compare it to the others.

Agree on your Odyssey take when it comes to the moons. Some people rag on it because of how many moons there are and how many are easy, but it game incredibly accesible for my young daughter. While I was there seeking the challenge moons, it made her so happy to find moons by seeking the rumble ones or following coins to one or doing the silly goomba ones. Like people forget, it gives a great sense of accomplishment for a young kid to finds those easy moons.

Agree on your Odyssey take when it comes to the moons. Some people rag on it because of how many moons there are and how many are easy, but it game incredibly accesible for my young daughter. While I was there seeking the challenge moons, it made her so happy to find moons by seeking the rumble ones or following coins to one or doing the silly goomba ones. Like people forget, it gives a great sense of accomplishment for a young kid to finds those easy moons.

It really is great! The challenge is there for those who want it, but it gives a lot of easier options too. It's very well designed.

My heart still belongs to Galaxy 2, but for my money this is the best video game series there is. There’s really no other series for me that has managed to maintain such a consistently excellent level of quality that 3D Mario has over 64/SMG/SMG2/3D World/SMO.
Yeah outside of Sunshine I can't think of any other series that's lasted over 20 years and has had every console entry be at least a solid A-. 3D Land though is a perfectly solid and serviceable portable platforming game, just really lacks the scope of the console entries. 3D Mario and Smash are probably the only video game series I'm a guaranteed day 1 buyer for.

I guess if we're doing rankings...

1. Super Mario 3D World
2. Super Mario 64
3. Super Mario Odyssey
4. Super Mario Galaxy 2
5. Super Mario Galaxy
6. Super Mario 3D Land
7. Bowser's Fury
8. Super Mario Sunshine

Yeah outside of Sunshine I can't think of any other series that's lasted over 20 years and has had every console entry be at least a solid A-. 3D Land though is a perfectly solid and serviceable portable platforming game, just really lacks the scope of the console entries. 3D Mario and Smash are probably the only video game series I'm a guaranteed day 1 buyer for.

I guess if we're doing rankings...

1. Super Mario 3D World
2. Super Mario 64
3. Super Mario Odyssey
4. Super Mario Galaxy 2
5. Super Mario Galaxy
6. Super Mario 3D Land
7. Bowser's Fury
8. Super Mario Sunshine
3D Land was a lot of fun when it first came out in the 3DS, but it was basically completely superceded by 3D World, which I found to be ‘3D Land, but better’.

Mario 64 remains on top for me. You can put so much of yourself into that game with his moveset and the way courses are designed. I play it every other year or so and always find something new. Close second is Super Mario Galaxy 2, which is also perfection. Every 3D Mario Game is awesome though!

1 Super Mario 64
2 Super Mario Galaxy 2
3 Super Mario Odyssey
4 Super Mario 3D World
5 Super Mario Sunshine
6 Bowser’s Fury
7 Super Mario 3D Land
8 Super Mario Galaxy

love the references to game boy Mario Games, from Land to Donkey Kong, littered throughout too

love the references to game boy Mario Games, from Land to Donkey Kong, littered throughout too

They're really neat! You know, I've heard some describe the game as a real love letter to Mario on Game Boy. Would I? I don't know if I'd go that far... but I do like it!

We need a lot more 3D World love on this thread.
Coming right up!

I feel that the combination of 3D World + Bowser's Fury is the best right now. An improved version of an already great game plus a short but sweet peek into what the future of the franchise could be in terms of mixing more open areas and exploration and a greater focus on the platforming. A full length Bowser's Fury (minus the Fury Bowser mechanic for the whole thing) with more environmental diversity (either true open world or sets of sandboxes would be cool with me), I think we could have the best Mario game, 3D or 2D. Since you cannot get them on their own, it's an easy choice for the top. But that's not the poll, lol.

Is 3D World on its OWN enough to be the best? Odyssey is superb, and I'm still impressed with how Galaxy 2 improved on the original. If we're talking just the Wii U version, I go with Odyssey (and Galaxy 2 rises as well). With the Switch version's faster movement speed and extra options, it's a lot closer, and the two swap depending on my mood. For the poll I'll put 3D World (Switch), but it and Odyssey are both fantastic.

Rankings with 3D World + Bowser's Fury Combined
  1. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
  2. Super Mario Odyssey
  3. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  4. Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)
  5. Super Mario 64
  6. Super Mario 3D Land
  7. Super Mario Galaxy
  8. Super Mario Sunshine
Ranking with them separate, but using Switch 3D World
  1. Super Mario 3D World (Switch) [Could Swap with 2]
  2. Super Mario Odyssey [Could Swap with 1]
  3. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  4. Super Mario 64
  5. Bowser's Fury
  6. Super Mario 3D Land
  7. Super Mario Galaxy
  8. Super Mario Sunshine
3D Mario games are all pretty good. My general feelings probably won't budge, but I can see games moving up or down a rank depending on how I'm feeling.

I'm leaning towards Super Mario 64 but I haven't replayed it in a while. Going back to the Galaxy games recently, I still like them more than Odyssey. Sunshine's the only 3d one I'm not much of a fan of.

It's between 3D World and Odyssey for me. 3D World is the absolute pinnacle of what a linear, guided platformer can be, and Odyssey is the absolute pinnacle of what an open-ended sandbox platformer can be.

As for which of those two I like better, usually I say 3D World, but honestly, it's hard to separate the two.

It's between 3D World and Odyssey for me. 3D World is the absolute pinnacle of what a linear, guided platformer can be, and Odyssey is the absolute pinnacle of what an open-ended sandbox platformer can be.

As for which of those two I like better, usually I say 3D World, but honestly, it's hard to separate the two.
My two favorites as well.

Replaying Galaxy earlier this year really showed me how much 3D Mario has improved since those two Wii entries.

1. Super Mario Galaxy 1 - unmatched in atmosphere by any of the other games, phenomenal level design, heartwarming and epic story, best soundtrack

2. Super Mario Odyssey - by far the best controlling 3D Mario, the new peak of the sandbox formula, bursting with content and creativity

3. Super Mario Galaxy 2 - improvement of level design and varsity compared to 1, but the lack of atmosphere compared to 1 brings it down for me. Still a phenomenal soundtrack

4. Super Mario 3D World - top notch level design and soundtrack, movement and presentation is a step down from the rest of the series though it does have some great environments

5. Super Mario Sunshine - jank and some bad mission design keeps it down, but I love the sense of place, charm and world building in Sunshine. Also movement feels AMAZING

6. Super Mario 64 - it’s aged for sure, and the mission design is extremely simple and far surpassed by its successors even sunshine. I do enjoy it though and it has its own charm.

7. Super Mario 3D Land - I still enjoy this one too but… it’s just basic. Like it’s great but basic. Idk how else to explain it.

I honestly don't look back at the Galaxy games as fondly as I used to from a gameplay perspective. They feel slow, sluggish, and limited in mobility compared to the others.

I love 64 and 3D World the most, absolute gems.
But every 3D Mario is an absolute gem as well. So there.

64 set the bar ridiculously high and is still my favourite.

Odyssey needs a sequel that takes everything great from the original (and it's a long list!) But then sprinkles the magic that was inexplicably missing.

3D World for me, with 64 and Odyssey as second and third. Honestly, there's no bad Mario 3D game (although Sunshine will never be my favourite anything)

Mario 64 and Odyssey are my favs. The series, but the rest of the games are great too.

Galaxy is my favourite by quite a wide margin, second would be Galaxy 2, then 3D Land (which I absolutely loved, though I couldn't get into 3D World for some reason)

3D World is an unbelievably outstanding game and Galaxy 1 is my favourite out of the 2. Still, I voted 64. Don't get me wrong, all of these games are fantastic, but there's something a little more... timeless to 64 when compared to the other ones. I don't know. It's like the game has never truly aged. I feel like you could show the game to almost any 30-year old and they'd know what's that, even if that isn't as true as I'd suppose to be.

I honestly don't look back at the Galaxy games as fondly as I used to from a gameplay perspective. They feel slow, sluggish, and limited in mobility compared to the others.
That's kind of my feeling too. The atmosphere, presentation and music are still incredible, but they lack a level of replayability as the level design is very railroaded and don't offer many out-of-the-box solutions (even 3D World will let you try levels with different characters and power-ups). They're still great games and some of my all time favorites but I don't feel quite as strongly about them as I did a decade ago.

Back
Top Bottom