• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Famitsu week 49 (Nov. 29 - Dec. 5) sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
not even that

AlX1LyB.jpg
Funny thing is if they sell 10k or 15k PS5s in Japan, nowadays those are actually considered not bad sales. That’s how much the market has skewed these days.

I see this very often these days. What does it mean?

To @Glom 's defence though, I read the thread title on the melody of this and it humours me to no end lmao. (yes, this is what staying at home being bored in a pandemic does to me :( )

Seeing the relative position of Mario Kart and Animal Crossing, is there any possibility Animal Crossing could still come top in the end? Or has that ship sailed?
I see this very often these days. What does it mean?

It means that before posting controversial discussion points make sure:
1) you want the attention.
2) you're prepared to stand by it.

Don't feel bad or embarrassed, @Glom! At worst, you contributed to the creation of (one of) the first homegrown FamiBoards meme(s), and I don't say that in a facetious way either!

On topic, I have nothing interesting to add insight-wise, but really amazed at how Sony turned away from Japan in its big plans in some regards. Who knows if this will bite them in the butt in the long-term, but in the short-term, this strategy doesn't seem to be hurting them too much as the West is considerably making up for the sales that aren't happening in Japan. Someone can of course correct me if I'm mistaken, as I'm not too smart when it comes to sales info.

There is so many people saying this. Like, what is it they are actually saying I wonder? Do they even know what they are talking about? I mean, Japan may not be the biggest market but oh boy, it is far, FAR from irrelevant. Just look at the number Nintendo does week over week for months. That is nothing to scoff at.
Defensiveness. Their preferred toy isn't doing bad if you remove the context!

To @Glom 's defence though, I read the thread title on the melody of this and it humours me to no end lmao. (yes, this is what staying at home being bored in a pandemic does to me :( )
Ahah yeah it reminds me of that as well every time I see it

Seeing the relative position of Mario Kart and Animal Crossing, is there any possibility Animal Crossing could still come top in the end? Or has that ship sailed?

It means that before posting controversial discussion points make sure:
1) you want the attention.
2) you're prepared to stand by it.
Gotcha! Thanks

Goalposts are moving heavy on this one. First Japan doesn't matter...what's next? Japan has bad taste in video games?

The pie graph of Switch's Japanese market share used to look like Pacman, now it's more like the Sun's share of the mass of the solar system.

Sun_vs_planets_en.svg

(Credit to S.Peelman for the image)

That PAC chart is perhaps the most dominant Nintendo has been in a long while. I don't recall DS/Wii era being this extreme. I mean, not to give undue credit to Nintendo because it's not them, but the complete abandoment of the Japanese market by Sony is kind of staggering.

I know there are the voices saying they are more focused on the west, but giving up a market where the PS3/PS4 sold around 10 million units in hardware is extreme and probably will cost them in the long term. It's not something they can go back and fix later when supply is plentiful. For one, Nintendo likely isnt going to be sitting around to let them do that, and Japan will always be starting way behind the curve and you can't just build the same installed base by ignoring a market for the first year and a half or more.

Last edited:
Famitsu week 49 (Nov. 29 - Dec. 5) top 30
Top 30: Famitsu software sales (11/29/21 - 12/5/21) - Top 30 - Nintendo Everything

1. [NSW] Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl – 164,580 / 1,915,268
2. [NSW] Mario Party Superstars – 40,668 / 405,177
3. [NSW] Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain – 36,928 / NEW
4. [NSW] Animal Crossin: New Horizon – 18,640 / 6,987,075
5. [NSW] Minecraft – 18,308 / 2,309,889
6. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 16,160 / 4,169,449
7. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 14,728 / 4,532,477
8. [NSW] Disney Magical World 2: Enchanted Edition – 13,348 / NEW
9. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure – 9,387 / 2,942,720
10. [NSW] Pokemon Sword / Shield – 8,998 / 4,215,022

11. [NSW] Eiga Sumikko Gurashi: Aoi Tsukiyo no Mahou no Ko – Game de Asobo! – 8,217 / NEW
12. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! – 6,832 / 2,433,574
13. [NSW] Power Pro Kun Pocket R – 6,743 / 30,103
14. [NSW] Shin Megami Tensei V – 5,182 / 180,418
15. [NSW] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury – 5,112 / 931,881
16. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics – 4,725 / 837,206
17. [NSW] Splatoon 2 + Octo Expansion – 3,314 / 19,756
18. [NSW] Fortnite Minty Legends Pack – 3,303 / 25,388
19. [PS4] Battlefield 2042 – 3,147 / 35,375
20. [NSW] Splatoon 2 – 3,134 / 3,972,953
21. [NSW] Super Mario Maker 2 – 3,107 / 1,149,850
22. [PS4] Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba – The Hinokami Chronicles – 2,963 / 136,617
23. [NSW] Minecraft Dungeons Ultimate Edition – 2,804 / 12,603
24. [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum ‘n’ Fun! – 2,759 / 647,441
25. [NSW] Super Mario Party – 2,591 / 2,018,495
26. [NSW] WarioWare: Get It Together! – 2,582 / 170,060
27. [NSW] Zelda: Breath of the Wild + Expansion Pass – 2,498 / 19,430
28. [NSW] Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 2,475 / 1,898,592
29. [NSW] Game Builder Garage – 2,424 / 257,007
30. [PS4] Call of Duty: Vanguard – 2,423 / 51,166

NS - 27

PS4 - 3

Japan don't matter for those games
Like, I know you’re probably poking fun at people who legitimately think this, but FFXV‘s Japanese sales account for at least 10% of its entire LTD sales. That’s not nothing, especially for an entry in the series that seemed to lean more towards Western tastes in design.
I just saw a thread full of people on reddit exactly like this. How does this double speak happen?
Decades of being told that PlayStation dominates the games industry. Any evidence to the contrary gets them to start training for the mental gymnastics gold medal.

EDIT: Oh, also, because the thing that distinguishes PlayStation from Xbox in their mind is Japanese 3rd-party publisher support, so if sales are flagging in Japan, they’d have to look at why and be forced to admit that a PS5 is becoming less and less distinct from a Series X. And that simply CANNOT be.
Were Xbox Series S/X to outsell PS5 in Japan before the year is up, expect meltdowns, especially if it happens more than once, because that’s a tad bit TOO much cognitive dissonance for even them to resolve.

Last edited:
Like, I know you’re probably poking fun at people who legitimately think this, but FFXV‘s Japanese sales account for at least 10% of its entire LTD sales. That’s not nothing, especially for an entry in the series that seemed to lean more towards Western tastes in design.
It's not nothing, but it's questionable if 16 will even match it. Playstation software is not doing well at all right now. And there is no sign of correction yet

Daaamn! 😲

And speaking of numbers, I wonder if the npd's were delayed because the Switch not only has units and dollar amount, but YTD dollars, as well. Probably trying to finagle in a new PR cope like they did with adding in "YTD dollar amount" during their 'delay' last holiday, amongst different other things.

edited to add > YTD to "dollar amount"

Last edited:
Daaamn! 😲

And speaking of numbers, I wonder if the npd's were delayed because the Switch not only has units and dollar amount, but YTD dollars, as well. Probably trying to finagle in a new PR cope like they did with adding in "dollar amount" during their 'delay' last holiday, amongst different other things.

Weird fanfic but ok

Top 30: Famitsu software sales (11/29/21 - 12/5/21) - Top 30 - Nintendo Everything

1. [NSW] Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl – 164,580 / 1,915,268
2. [NSW] Mario Party Superstars – 40,668 / 405,177
3. [NSW] Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain – 36,928 / NEW
4. [NSW] Animal Crossin: New Horizon – 18,640 / 6,987,075
5. [NSW] Minecraft – 18,308 / 2,309,889
6. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 16,160 / 4,169,449
7. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 14,728 / 4,532,477
8. [NSW] Disney Magical World 2: Enchanted Edition – 13,348 / NEW
9. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure – 9,387 / 2,942,720
10. [NSW] Pokemon Sword / Shield – 8,998 / 4,215,022

11. [NSW] Eiga Sumikko Gurashi: Aoi Tsukiyo no Mahou no Ko – Game de Asobo! – 8,217 / NEW
12. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! – 6,832 / 2,433,574
13. [NSW] Power Pro Kun Pocket R – 6,743 / 30,103
14. [NSW] Shin Megami Tensei V – 5,182 / 180,418
15. [NSW] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury – 5,112 / 931,881
16. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics – 4,725 / 837,206
17. [NSW] Splatoon 2 + Octo Expansion – 3,314 / 19,756
18. [NSW] Fortnite Minty Legends Pack – 3,303 / 25,388
19. [PS4] Battlefield 2042 – 3,147 / 35,375
20. [NSW] Splatoon 2 – 3,134 / 3,972,953
21. [NSW] Super Mario Maker 2 – 3,107 / 1,149,850
22. [PS4] Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba – The Hinokami Chronicles – 2,963 / 136,617
23. [NSW] Minecraft Dungeons Ultimate Edition – 2,804 / 12,603
24. [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum ‘n’ Fun! – 2,759 / 647,441
25. [NSW] Super Mario Party – 2,591 / 2,018,495
26. [NSW] WarioWare: Get It Together! – 2,582 / 170,060
27. [NSW] Zelda: Breath of the Wild + Expansion Pass – 2,498 / 19,430
28. [NSW] Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 2,475 / 1,898,592
29. [NSW] Game Builder Garage – 2,424 / 257,007
30. [PS4] Call of Duty: Vanguard – 2,423 / 51,166

NS - 27

PS4 - 3

And there are still to this day people that deny theres anything wrong with the PS brand in Japan. These are all PS4 titles mind you, the PS4 is at the end of its life soon. There are hardly any PS5 software sales.

And there are still to this day people that deny theres anything wrong with the PS brand in Japan. These are all PS4 titles mind you, the PS4 is at the end of its life soon. There are hardly any PS5 software sales.
the weird thing was the PS5 was ahead of the PS4, launch aligned until very recently. and yet more consoles were sold than games

Due to BC they don’t necessarily need to worry about the platform running out of new content. Like, Atlus just announced Ultimax for PS4 instead of PS5.

But that situation will resolve itself with time regardless.

Due to BC they don’t necessarily need to worry about the platform running out of new content. Like, Atlus just announced Ultimax for PS4 instead of PS5.

But that situation will resolve itself with time regardless.
PS4 games aren’t going to get people to run out for a PS5, though, is the point.

PS4 games aren’t going to get people to run out for a PS5, though, is the point.
Well it's not like they currently have any in Japan to sell anyways.

But yes, I agree that BC is not exactly a big selling point for new hardware.

Weird fanfic but ok
I see you don't follow the npds or don't follow them closely.

Edited > Meant to add "YTD" dollar sales {hate forgetting stuff, uff}.

Like, for a system that isn't first for that month.

I, actually, just searched years of npds {extra I know lol} trying to find if they ever did, what appears to be, that new thing their doing and jumbling all games into 1 and not mentioning which platform sold what. If I missed something, someone do post it.

Last edited:
Sony seems to be basically waving the white flag in Japan at this point.
I get that they're prioritizing the West, but if we assume that shipped = sold due to supply constraints, not even having 2k consoles available in the whole country during a holiday season week is not a good sign, nor is the absence of a single PS5 game from the top 30 software more than a year after launch.

It's all well and good to focus on your biggest market, but putting so little effort into a still significant market where you used to sell over 20 million units per system and have a very competitive software presence doesn't seem wise.

The PS brand is in real trouble in the Land of the Rising Sun.

I, actually, just searched years of npds {extra I know lol} trying to find if they ever did, what appears to be, that new thing their doing and jumbling all games into 1 and not mentioning which platform sold what. If I missed something, someone do post it.
Npd always seemed "anti" nintendo to me. It was the Wii days when they stop splitting games on xbox and ps, as combined they would out sell single platform nintendo ones.

And now again that nintendo is in the dominance they started doing "dollar" amounts because their console and games are cheaper.

Nintendo Switch is going to perform much stronger than many would've expected next year with BOTW2, Splatoon 3, MHR: SB, and 3D kirby game.

Npd always seemed "anti" nintendo to me. It was the Wii days when they stop splitting games on xbox and ps, as combined they would out sell single platform nintendo ones.

And now again that nintendo is in the dominance they started doing "dollar" amounts because their console and games are cheaper.
This is a ridiculous conspiracy theory. NPD are not "anti-Nintndo". They are not delaying their release of data to make Nintendo look bad. That is absurd.

This is a ridiculous conspiracy theory. NPD are not "anti-Nintndo". They are not delaying their release of data to make Nintendo look bad. That is absurd.
NPD wants accurate data for their subscribers so they would be annoyed by Nintendo not releasing digital sales data. NPD is not biased against Nintendo though.

NPD wants accurate data for their subscribers so they would be annoyed by Nintendo not releasing digital sales data. NPD is not biased against Nintendo though.
I'm sure NPD wishes Atlus, Bethesda, Nintendo and Take Two would join the digital panel, but I agree that doesn't make them biased.

By the way, from pictures of Japanese stores, this coming week has better Xbox stock and OLED stock is still stable. On Install Base, a post mentions Japanese social media mocking low PS5 supply so it might be possible to see Xbox match or do better than PS5 for the week. (I'm sure some sites will have a meltdown if that happens)

By the way, from pictures of Japanese stores, this coming week has better Xbox stock and OLED stock is still stable. On Install Base, a post mentions Japanese social media mocking low PS5 supply so it might be possible to see Xbox match or do better than PS5 for the week. (I'm sure some sites will have a meltdown if that happens)
I think it's gonna happen. MS might want that easy dub, if for nothing more than pettiness

Switch is already the 5th highest selling system of all time in Japan and is coming up fast on #4 (PS2) and #3. (3DS) It's basically guaranteed to be at least the third highest selling ever there in lifetime sales.

By contrast, while PS1 and PS2 both sold over 20 million in Japan, PS3 dropped to just over 10 million, and PS4 is going to fall short of that again, having stalled out at a little over 9 million. The big question now is whether PS5 will continue this decline. It was tracking ahead of PS4, but at this rate it should soon fall behind it.

Switch is already the 5th highest selling system of all time in Japan and is coming up fast on #4 (PS2) and #3. (3DS) It's basically guaranteed to be at least the third highest selling ever there in lifetime sales.

By contrast, while PS1 and PS2 both sold over 20 million in Japan, PS3 dropped to just over 10 million, and PS4 is going to fall short of that again, having stalled out at a little over 9 million. The big question now is whether PS5 will continue this decline. It was tracking ahead of PS4, but at this rate it should soon fall behind it.
PS5 has already fallen behind PS4 world wide because of the chip shortage, right?

chip shortage is affecting all consoles, but this is a case of Sony not shipping anything. they're prioritizing NA and, apparently, UK, as other countries aren't getting large shipments either
Nintendo might really luck out in the end with the chip shortage and the timings of their consoles releasing. Sony will have to fall back on selling games on PC because of the effect the shortage will have on console sales.

Maybe the PS1 era? N64 didn't do so well in Japan and Saturn was the Saturn.
Didn't Saturn actually do decent in Japan, though? Could have sworn that retrospectively the Playstation CEO mentioned how threatened they felt by the Saturn in Japan for like the first 1, 2 years or so?

Also feel like it's worth mentioning that, even though handhelds are usually treated as separate entities from home consoles and rightfully so perhaps, at the end of the day they are just another video game system a consumer has to choose from with their limited time and money. And Nintendo had the GBC/GBA during the Playstation 1's life. In Japan, all that's been relevant as competition for the Switch since it's release in 2017 has been what little 3DS and PS4 sales were left (which was not an insignificant amount, but still).

Didn't Saturn actually do decent in Japan, though? Could have sworn that retrospectively the Playstation CEO mentioned how threatened they felt by the Saturn in Japan for like the first 1, 2 years or so?

Also feel like it's worth mentioning that, even though handhelds are usually treated as separate entities from home consoles and rightfully so perhaps, at the end of the day they are just another video game system a consumer has to choose from with their limited time and money. And Nintendo had the GBC/GBA during the Playstation 1's life. In Japan, all that's been relevant as competition for the Switch since it's release in 2017 has been what little 3DS and PS4 sales were left (which was not an insignificant amount, but still).

There's an inaccurate depiction of how well the Saturn did in Japan compared to the N64. The Saturn hardware sold like 20k more than the N64 in Japan, but the N64 sold WAY more first party software. But the narrative is always that the Saturn did ok and the N64 failed in Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom