• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Famitsu || Actraiser Was Optioned for an HD2D Remake; more HD2D Games in the Works

Chrono Trigger is probably one of the easier ones to imagine a proper 3D version being faithful to the original style, really. There are plenty of Dragon Ball games in recent years that do a good job of 3Ding Toriyama designs.

I'm less concerned about how they 3Dify the Toriyama characters (FighterZ and DQXI show it can be done) but I'm more worried about the environments not being as majestic as my imagination fills in when it's pixel art. Trials of Mana really worries me in that regard. The environments just fall flat for me. I don't want the misty Guardia of 600AD or Kingdom of Zeal to be modeled and rendered as.. only okay. And I'm afraid if they remade CT it would look only okay unless they went nuts with it, closer to FFVII-R (in style, not in story).

So yeah, unless they're gonna pull out some stops and make a really lovely remake, I think HD-2D is the most I'd hope for.
In all honesty all I really want is the SNES original.

That is so fucking sad. I love Actraiser, and while the remake is kind of fun, it is so goddamn ugly. Like, legitimately one of the most unpleasant looking games I've seen from a major publisher.

Xenogears 25th Anniversary is 2023 so hopefully Square Enix are smart enough to take advantage of a marketable opportunity and give the game a HD-2D remake.
As long as they bring in Takahashi, Saga, and Kato to script the second half of the game so they can rebuild it to the degree they intended.
sorry yall, do I say that too much?

I don’t get why they can’t do FF6 and Chrono Trigger remakes as something that’s basically the next step up from FFIII or IV DS.

That 3D animated style.

It doesn’t have to be hyper realistic like VIIR or nostalgic pixel art HD2D.

As long as they bring in Takahashi, Saga, and Kato to script the second half of the game so they can rebuild it to the degree they intended.
sorry yall, do I say that too much?
A part of me wonders if Tetsuya Nomura being a guest artist for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was a trade-off in return for Tetsuya Takahashi tying loose ends for Xenogears should Square Enix ever need to remaster/remake the game.

according to the importance of the game

It's Square Enix, they don't care about that minor stuff.

A part of me wonders if Tetsuya Nomura being a guest artist for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was a trade-off in return for Tetsuya Takahashi tying loose ends for Xenogears should Square Enix ever need to remaster/remake the game.

Nomura was in XC2 because he's friend with Takahashi.

I don't think it's as simple as that, Nomura is a full-time employee at Square Enix and I don't see the company being charitable enough to just simply let him do work for a JRPG competitor especially one that's comprised of former Square members.
or maybe it is that simple as it was just contract work that SE agreed to

I don't think it's as simple as that, Nomura is a full-time employee at Square Enix and I don't see the company being charitable enough to just simply let him do work for a JRPG competitor especially one that's comprised of former Square members.

In what ways is Xenoblade a competitor to any of Square's titles?

And you could say the exact same thing about Bandai Namco and KOS-MOS.

They had a bunch of artists from other companies, including the main artist from Tales of Arise. That type of thing isn't even that unusual now with the rise of Gacha games even if Nomura is higher profile than most.

I don’t get why they can’t do FF6 and Chrono Trigger remakes as something that’s basically the next step up from FFIII or IV DS.

That 3D animated style.

It doesn’t have to be hyper realistic like VIIR or nostalgic pixel art HD2D.
Yeah, sorta like the Tokyo RPG Factory games! I've had a thought for a loooooong time that Setsuna and Lost Sphear were them building a resume for Square to let them remake Chrono Trigger. And then Square put CT director Takashi Tokita on their team for Oninaki, and I really began wondering.

Horii does and they can’t remake the game without him
Horii cares about the game, but he's still used to working with moderate budgets. S-E will never give the Chrono series the love it deserves. Look at how they handled the Cross remaster. We still haven't even gotten a third game either.

Or maybe it is that simple as it was just contract work that SE agreed to
I suppose if any company has that leverage then it'd be Nintendo.

They had a bunch of artists from other companies, including the main artist from Tales of Arise. That type of thing isn't even that unusual now with the rise of Gacha games even if Nomura is higher profile than most.
I always assumed that character designers for a game studio have an exclusivity agreement with the said studio but I guess I was wrong about that.

I always assumed that character designers for a game studio have an exclusivity agreement with the said studio but I guess I was wrong about that.
Nah in fact a lot work as freelance but are most well known for working with a particular developer/publisher or series they are not even employees of the company and can design for other publishers. Also even if there was a exclusivity agreement if Nintendo pays and the developers agrees to it doesn't matter but that's not the case for most of them

Square has shown they don’t care for the legacy of a lot of their titles.

Hell, look at recent example.
-Their VII remake PC port apparently is terrible.
-Chrono Cross had a mixed response
-Chrono Trigger on PC was also bad. To the point where fans had to fix it.
- they had a Secret of Mana remake that was also poorly received.

You really don’t know what’ll you get with Sqaure when it comes to their legacy titles. It feels like you’ll need a good producer that will put the care into it, even with a shorten budget. Or have an outside company be involved in it by footing some of the bill or something. I’m curious to learn about Live A Live development and reception. It’s exclusive to Switch cause it looks like Nintendo is publishing it, at least the direct implied that when the title popped up, it was tagged Nintendo, not Square Enix.

You really don’t know what’ll you get with Sqaure when it comes to their legacy titles. It feels like you’ll need a good producer that will put the care into it, even with a shorten budget. Or have an outside company be involved in it by footing some of the bill or something. I’m curious to learn about Live A Live development and reception. It’s exclusive to Switch cause it looks like Nintendo is publishing it, at least the direct implied that when the title popped up, it was tagged Nintendo, not Square Enix.
It's confirmed to be published by Nintendo outside of Japan, I don't think there has been any Team Asano game not published by Nintendo in the West since 2006, since the DS days all have been published by Nintendo (and it's the only reason why we even got it during DS/3DS days), also Nintendo probably doesn't fund the games that much outside of footing the marketing/publishing in the West cost, if Nintendo funds the game they don't release in other platforms even as late ports, and Octopath ended up being even on Xbox 'direct' console competition

And their legacy series will always have a tough time coming back. SaGa is lucky to have Kawazu behind it and I'm sure he'll be working on that until he retires now. With Mana they had a tougher time but it seems to be in a decent place now, hopefully their next console project goes well and the series can truly shine again.

For Chrono, I've given up hope in the series getting the love it deserves. I will happily take an HD-2D remake if we can get that, one that is hopefully executed well. But I will never forget how dismissive they were of the series when the DS port came out, this is what Shinji Hashimoto had to say about it:
“Why does everyone ask about Chrono Trigger?” he laughed when asked about the game. When he was told that the game was adored by fans, his response was quite blunt: “That’s not what the sales tell me!”

“If people want a sequel, they should buy more!”
https://www.destructoid.com/want-a-chrono-trigger-sequel-buy-more-remakes/

For Chrono, I've given up hope in the series getting the love it deserves. I will happily take an HD-2D remake if we can get that, one that is hopefully executed well. But I will never forget how dismissive they were of the series when the DS port came out, this is what Shinji Hashimoto had to say about it:

“Why does everyone ask about Chrono Trigger?” he laughed when asked about the game. When he was told that the game was adored by fans, his response was quite blunt: “That’s not what the sales tell me!”

“If people want a sequel, they should buy more!”

This sort of thinking has always bugged me. Company not offering more of a product due to low sales, are receiving low sales because they aren't offering the product. I see several examples of this way of thinking in car stuff (in the States at least), and it's so disheartening when they won't admit they're just focusing on higher margins and instead blame the customers for not buying enough of a thing they aren't even offering.

Dude's got some damn high standards if "Outsold all SFC RPGs except for Final Fantasy V and VI and Dragon Quest V and VI." isn't telling him anything. It didn't do as well as the FF and DQ remakes on DS, but they also didn't bother to actually remake it. As far as portable rereleases of SNES games go, I think it outsold everything on GBA/DS except for the Super Mario Advance series.

Dude's got some damn high standards if "Outsold all SFC RPGs except for Final Fantasy V and VI and Dragon Quest V and VI." isn't telling him anything. It didn't do as well as the FF and DQ remakes on DS, but they also didn't bother to actually remake it. As far as portable rereleases of SNES games go, I think it outsold everything on GBA/DS except for the Super Mario Advance series.
I definitely thought it sold well until S-E started saying otherwise. Their DS games were sold at a premium here as well, the infamous S-E tax.

Trigger on PC was patched up by official patches, and is basically the best version of the game now.

Anyway, the level of effort largely on old franchises/content seems to correlate directly to whether there is someone at the company championing the series. Kawazu is a good example. The success of the Saga mobile games, and 2DHD, had allowed him to push hard for putting effort into reviving the series and releasing legacy content in the way he wanted it to be seen/played. Similarly for Mana, the series was basically dead except Masaru Oyamada was a big fan of the series, and pushed internally to get it revived. Secret of Mana didn't turn out so well, but obviously since then they've gotten more resources and approval to go further, so obviously it's been a success. So even though Ishii is long gone, that series is more alive than it's been in like 20 years. Live A Live is in the same boat with Tokita being there, with him seemingly using the success of Saga, Mana, and 2DHD, to get the resources for his game to be remade in a big way.

Comparatively for something like Chrono, and some of the other series sort of languishing, most of the key people involved in the series who might be interested in pushing for it are no longer with the company, or don't want to/don't like it ala Horii. Tokita would be the only option basically unless someone like Oyamada comes along. Otherwise it's at the whims of whatever the company decides to do. So the level of effort will be kind of mixed. That said there's obviously a large concerted effort at the company to re-release and remaster it's old content in a more fan friendly way, as seen with things like Front Mission, Pixel Remasters, etc., and Cross was a pretty big effort even if it doesn't run perfectly, so they'll probably do something with Trigger and/or the series at some point.

Square is completely unpredictable when it comes to remakes/remasters. Extremely niche games like Front Mission and Live A Live get full remakes (which is cool btw) while much more popular games like Chrono Cross, FFVIII and FFIX get extremely meh ports. Even within the same franchise they are unpredictable, Secret of Mana got a pretty badly received 3D remake while Trials of Mana got a much better one.

So, trying to guess what they'd do for Chrono Trigger is almost impossible although I get the feeling they tend to go to bigger lengths for their 2D games since they probably feel they're a harder sell otherwise.

Goddamit do Terranigma next, it's the obvious choice!
Why only Terranigma? Why not the whole trilogy?

Seriously though it's kinda weird they thought of Actraiser first considering it's a sidescroller, the other Quintet games seem better suited for HD-2D. However I'm sure they were only allowed to mention Live-A-Live and Actraiser in this interview due to their remakes being publicly known.

Back
Top Bottom