• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Famitsu || Actraiser Was Optioned for an HD2D Remake; more HD2D Games in the Works

ILikeFeet

Warpstar Knight

translations via DeepL

Asano: The president ordered ...... to "make more use of HD-2D," and we decided to think about remakes of past titles. We lined up a lineup of titles to see what we could come up with, and thought about "which titles should be played in HD-2D as fairly as possible", and brought them to the president at ....... It's not a winner-takes-all game (laughs).
Asano: I lined up all of them and gave a presentation saying that "Live Alive" was the most suitable. The second place went to "Actraiser".
From this exchange, we can see that Square Enix President Yosuke Matsuda wanted to increase the number of remakes using "HD-2D". In the process, a list of titles released on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) by Square and Enix was compiled, and "Live Alive" was recommended as the most suitable title.
The "HD-2D" remake is a new direction for remakes and ports that can add a new appeal to games without losing the atmosphere of the dot pictures. Following "Live Alive" and "Dragon Quest III in HD-2D", we can expect to see more popular titles from the Square and Enix era released in "HD-2D".

Well, Actraiser was out as soon as it already got a HD Remake of its own... but, you know... There's 3 other Quintet RPGs that could really do with a HD2D remake... especially the one called Terranigma ;)

They're really nice, but please don't go crazy. Nostalgia is a dangerous drug, there has to be a balance. They need to continue making modern looking remakes like Trials of Mana alongside.
I think that team is making a new Mana game. I'm sure they will though, there was a FF9 remake in the Nvidia leak that is probably 3D.

Sorry Mahjong fans; guess your hopes and dreams for HD-2D Mahjong have been squashed today.

I believe Square has the Lufia IP. I would go mad if they do Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals in HD-2D.

Last edited:
I wonder if these HD-2D games will follow the patterns of the few ones we have with a Switch exclusive first and then to other platforms for the rest?

Cause I can’t see that happening for some titles. Like I feel a Chrono Trigger remake would be everything day 1. Could happen but I’m curious.

I wonder if these HD-2D games will follow the patterns of the few ones we have with a Switch exclusive first and then to other platforms for the rest?

Cause I can’t see that happening for some titles. Like I feel a Chrono Trigger remake would be everything day 1. Could happen but I’m curious.
I think when they announce platforms for the DQIII remake we'll have a better picture, if that's timed exclusive as well then I think we're seeing a pattern.

I think when they announce platforms for the DQIII remake we'll have a better picture, if that's timed exclusive as well then I think we're seeing a pattern.
Ah. I thought that was already announced for just switch. Nevermind then, we’ll see.

Live A Live I can see since it’s unknown and less risk to have it only on switch.

HD2D can stick around for a while, so long as they go a little easy on the DOF.

Ah. I thought that was already announced for just switch. Nevermind then, we’ll see.

Live A Live I can see since it’s unknown and less risk to have it only on switch.
Yeah DQIII is probably the biggest thing announced so far and they haven't announced platforms for it. It's likely to be multiplatform day 1.

They're really nice, but please don't go crazy. Nostalgia is a dangerous drug, there has to be a balance. They need to continue making modern looking remakes like Trials of Mana alongside.
The good thing about them is that those games chosen for HD-2D so far are games that aren’t super known. People know Dragon Quest 3 now but relatively no one knows Live A Live. Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6 are the only relatively well-known games I can see getting them. Otherwise I hope it gets used for more projects like Live A Live. HD-2D is great for games looking to get new audiences.

They need to make amends for the disaster that was Actraiser 2 and give it the HD-2D treatment while adding in the missing simulation mode.

Not gonna lie, I really dislike HD-2D. If it's gonna replace other types of remakes going forward, I'm even less of a fan
Interesting. Personally I far prefer the HD 2D route for SNES game remakes. Retains the atmosphere, artistry and design of the originals, but makes it more palatable for modern audiences.

I'd kill for an HD 2D Chrono Trigger.

While true, it's also important to recognize that the circumstances that lead Trials of Mana are not going to be immediately replicated for other series, and additionally it still required a budget remake of SD2 first.

hello square enix, may i suggest you some ideas
wp-1474592515706.jpg

newsimage2562a.png

hqdefault.jpg

155198-illusion-of-gaia-snes-screenshot-title-screen-u-s-version.jpg

Live A Live is a great pick.
A JRPG that didn't make it out of Japan so it's not really even a remake for a lot of its audience
A well liked JRPG over the years and considered one of the best ever made (it did not get as good a reception at release)
Multiple separate storylines, so it will satisfy the people waiting for an Octopath sequel

As for the next pick, there's Treasure Hunter G and Bahamut Lagoon. Both never made it out of Japan either.

I honestly think stuff like Final Fantasy VI or a CT remake should wait for a Switch 2 on a HD-2D 2.0 Engine on UE5 or something.

Just re-done most SNES catalogue via 2D-HD.

Dragon Quest I+II
Bahamut Lagoon
Treasure Hunter G
Illusion of Gaia
Secret of Mana
Soul Blazer
Terranigma
Chrono Trigger (though this one could have a full 3D remake)
Super Mario RPG (same case as CT)
Ogre Battle (for Tactics just port PSP remake)

Those 10 games + FF IV/V/VI pixel remasters + DQ V/VI mobile ports + DQIII and Live a Live 2D-HD + Actraiser 1/2 remake + Romancing Saga 2/3 mobile ports + Front Mission/Trials of Mana 3D remakes add nearly 25 SNES Square-Enix titles being remastered (with various degrees of effort) on Switch.

I wish they'd gone HD 2D for Actraiser, one of the things people agree on is that the visuals aren't great on the remake.

Seen the article earlier, that and the other interview are really interesting.
Matsuda has definitely seen those were selling well, and no surprise he wants more given how Asano Team knows how to work with a budget and the vast majority of those games are outsourced (like every game from that team).

Pretty sure he can expect the vast majority of SNES RPGs not called Final Fantasy to get this treatment over time.

I feel the whole style was made to capture Final Fantasy VI fans whether it should be done or not. I lean towards no, but it’d certainly be better than the cheap plastic look of the pixel remasters. Maybe do Final Fantasy V first and see how it turns out. 1-4 have enough remakes.

Chrono Trigger definitely doesn’t need it and Super Mario RPG would be dumb considering its art style is meant to invoke 3D.

I guess my post is to say I like HD-2D, I’m happy when I see it, but make new games with the style please.

Asano is now a millionaire and a pioneer for 8/16 bit generation resurgence
It was only a matter of time until people who grew up with '80s and '90s rpgs started leading game development in S-E. Now to wait for those who grew up with ps2-era rpgs.

If Treasure of the Rudras gets officially released in some form I will probably lose it.

I believe Square has the Lufia IP. I would go mad if they do Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals in HD-2D.

This would be my absolute dream game. Lufia II is the best RPG on SNES in my opinion and it never got a rerelease.

Also, yes. Taito IP, but Square Enix Holdings owns them.

I would like everything to come to HD-2D that SE can make, but I do ask them to put the original version of the game in there as well if possible.

While we are at it, make me a HD-2D Parasol Stars since you have those Taito licenses.

Xenogears please.

Can't wait for Xenogears' 2D sprites in 3D environments!
Probably will never happen, but this is the game that needs a full remake where they can rework the second disc. But short of that, this would be a good idea. I feel that the PlayStation games though are getting the remaster or remake treatment from Square rather than something like this.

Probably will never happen, but this is the game that needs a full remake where they can rework the second disc.
I'd love to see this, but only if Takahashi, Saga, and Kato are involved. And I dunno if Square would reach out, or if they'd even accept if Square did.

Everyone agrees that Chrono Trigger should be the next logical choice.

I'm hoping for Super Mario RPG too.
I don’t. I think some scenes in Chrono Trigger might look good in HD-2D, but most of it isn’t suited for the style without a major shift in its look. I honestly feel like I must be crazy when I read all these posts asking for Chrono Trigger to be in this style because I just don’t see it.

Asano, the answer is Everything. All of them.

But, going with Live A Live as an indicator that priority would be given to titles not previously localized:

- Bahamut Lagoon

- Treasure Hunter G

- Treasure of the Rudras

- Star Ocean 1

- Terranigma (never made it to NA region)

I struggle to rank those by my personal priority, but probably Bahamut Lagoon first due to fond memories of poring over awesome looking screenshots of giant bosses. Followed by Terranigma, and only because I played the latter via emulation, else it would take too spot.

(* Hat tip to the great mentions in this thread, totally forgot abt Teasure Hunter!)

Last edited:
I don’t. I think some scenes in Chrono Trigger might look good in HD-2D, but most of it isn’t suited for the style without a major shift in its look. I honestly feel like I must be crazy when I read all these posts asking for Chrono Trigger to be in this style because I just don’t see it.
It's probably the same "trap" that I fell in when calling for Super Mario RPG HD2D in another thread: a strong desire to relive an absolute classic in a modern and beautiful way.

And we are just using "HD2D" as a convenient catch-all term to evoke that desire. Because agreed that "HD-2D", as a specific technical approach as demonstrated in Octopath, wouldn't be the right look for some of these.

Asano, the answer is Everything. All of them.

But, going with Live A Live as an indicator that priority would be given to titles not previously localized:

- Bahamut Lagoon

- Treasure Hunter G

- Treasure of the Rudras

- Star Ocean 1

- Terranigma (never made it to NA region)

I struggle to rank those by my personal priority, but probably Bahamut Lagoon first due to fond memories of poring over awesome looking screenshots of giant bosses. Followed by Terranigma, and only because I played the latter via emulation, else it would take too spot.

(* Hat tip to the great mentions in this thread, totally forgot abt Teasure Hunter!)
Star Ocean 1 got a PSP remake which was re-release on Switch/PS4 +2 years ago (december 2019).

I agree that Bahamut Lagoon and Treasure Hunter G are likely the next ones

Star Ocean 1 got a PSP remake which was re-release on Switch/PS4 +2 years ago (december 2019).
Ah thx for that correction ☕

Obv that totally sailed by me, I just recall back in the day wishing that would make it over to SNES in north am

Edit: I gotta reiterate how awesome it is Front Mission is coming back. And that makes me consider Gun Hazard too

If they kept the same maps and just sorta did a pop-up form of them, kept the same sprites obviously, and kept the depth-of-field and vignette effects to a minimum (or none at all), I think it could still look pretty faithful. BUT because I still think the original is one of the (if not the) best-looking 16-bit game, I think erasing the original with the HD-2D version would be a shame. So my sincere hope: HD-2D Chrono Trigger upgrade (boxed release coupled with Cross, do it Square), plus the original SNES version put on NSO. Having both versions available I think would be the best way to go about it.
and then Chrono Break using the DQXI style

Back
Top Bottom