• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Etrian Odyssey Origins Collection announced for Nintendo Switch and Steam, coming June 1st (UPDATE: new gameplay trailer, see threadmarks)

thank you both: I'm not an expert of the genre, but I am reviewing Galleria and I think it's pretty good (for what it is, obviously) and I've seen on Metacritic that I'm not the only one with this positive approach
Make sure you try and go for the true end if you have time. No spoilers to be posted, but it is worth it IMHO.

So, an interesting update the physical version.

Since I was still going to buy the physical version to have my EO altar complete, I got an update from PA regarding a reduction of the price of the game for the asian version. This usally happens when they get updates from the distributor / publisher, and now the asian version removed the japanese language and has chinese traditional and simplified, korean and english. So asian version is a different SKU!

Also this has happened to me at least twice before, with Fatal Frame MotBW when they updated the price, they also added the information that english language was going to be available via a patch, and with LaIX 2 limited edition version where they added in the description english, spanish and all the languages in the international version.

I'm still waiting for any of the asian eshop to update and show the game description to confirm as PA had some misses before, but since the price update is official info from the publisher, they probably also got updated information on the SKU

So there's new info from the site as they added a FAQ section.

1. They confirm skills have been readjusted. They don't clarify which ones but I'm sure inmunize is obviously going to get nerfed, as well as the medic str so no battle medic (or at least not as good as the original one). Also they mentioned some are buffeds (binds % probably and protector element defender not screwing you over lvl 5)

2. For Etrian 2, you can actually use the password from the DS game. They do carry the bonus items (town medal and town crown). This also probably means you can use any password over the internet if you want the accesories. (you can also get the bonus if you clear 1 HD without password)

3. There is new game + for 1 and 2

Do we even know how they are handling the manual mapping elements for players that want it? There’s a fraction of a second of the cursor hovering over walls in the trailer, and obviously there’s manually added walls on the map where the party haven’t stepped on an adjacent tile yet. I’ve been wondering how they’ll handle this for years.

I love annotating maps as a reminder of things to go back and check later, or where I suspect a trap or door is but haven’t confirmed it yet etc. Or marking up tiles that I can see are poison or conveyor belts without wanting to step on them yet. That kind of thing.

I'm still waiting on news of mouse support on Switch. Very hopeful. It'll be my at-desk game for a while.

Excited for a sale 😅
The FAQ only specifies touch screen / control for switch

Do we even know how they are handling the manual mapping elements for players that want it? There’s a fraction of a second of the cursor hovering over walls in the trailer, and obviously there’s manually added walls on the map where the party haven’t stepped on an adjacent tile yet. I’ve been wondering how they’ll handle this for years.

I love annotating maps as a reminder of things to go back and check later, or where I suspect a trap or door is but haven’t confirmed it yet etc. Or marking up tiles that I can see are poison or conveyor belts without wanting to step on them yet. That kind of thing.

You have icons and can color tiles if you want to. There is actually a "note" icon you can use to write whatever you want. They also confirmed you have a left/right handed mode for the map

system_contents1_img_b82fec2b2c62b952eb41e6832518a22b.jpg

The FAQ only specifies touch screen / control for switch

You have icons and can color tiles if you want to. There is actually a "note" icon you can use to write whatever you want. They also confirmed you have a left/right handed mode for the map

system_contents1_img_b82fec2b2c62b952eb41e6832518a22b.jpg
That’s cool. How is adding walls handled? I could understand touch screen in handheld mode but wondering about home console mode.

That’s cool. How is adding walls handled? I could understand touch screen in handheld mode but wondering about home console mode.
The pencil icon is used to draw the lines for walls if you are playing with manual mode. The map is a canvas, so you can move the cursor to wherever you want and paint what you need. They added 2 automatic modes
  • Auto on: only paints the floor you have traversed
  • Auto full: it also paints the walls

But besides that you are free to draw / color tiles however you want

The pencil icon is used to draw the lines for walls if you are playing with manual mode. The map is a canvas, so you can move the cursor to wherever you want and paint what you need. They added 2 automatic modes
  • Auto on: only paints the floor you have traversed
  • Auto full: it also paints the walls

But besides that you are free to draw / color tiles however you want
Oh that’s really cool, I’m glad they found a way to have the player decide how to handle mapping, it’s important to me in EO, it’s tied up in a lot of nostalgia for grid paper and old games!

So cool to see the forests rendered in HD. They are so much more pleasing on the eye than generic dungeons. It also works with the ‘picnic’ setting- some of the gentle exploration tunes do feel like you’re on a fun hike rather than a ‘our next step could be our last’ dungeon crawl!

So cool to see the forests rendered in HD. They are so much more pleasing on the eye than generic dungeons. It also works with the ‘picnic’ setting- some of the gentle exploration tunes do feel like you’re on a fun hike rather than a ‘our next step could be our last’ dungeon crawl!
untill the damn squirrels steals your last warp wire

untill the damn squirrels steals your last warp wire
/flashback to being stuck 4 levels away from a teleporter on low health, low MP and no healing items. After that I always carried 2, and never clicked on an event if I only had one left for any reason

Has anyone here played Labyrinth of Refrain, how does Etrian compare to that game? From a quick search, they look quite similar in terms of gameplay, and since I enjoyed Refrain, I think I might like Etrian too.
I’d say almost certainly- EO is pretty much the source for a pile of similar dungeon crawls since its launch. There will probably be demos closer to launch so you can try it out.

Thank you very much!
Just a thought, but if you did want to try something similar in the meantime on Switch, you could also try the Saviour of Sapphire Wings/Stranger of Sword City collection, or Undernauts: Labyrinth of Yomi, all by Experience. All fairly similar stuff if you like exploring geometric dungeons step by step and tinkering with the team setup.

Just a thought, but if you did want to try something similar in the meantime on Switch, you could also try the Saviour of Sapphire Wings/Stranger of Sword City collection, or Undernauts: Labyrinth of Yomi, all by Experience. All fairly similar stuff if you like exploring geometric dungeons step by step and tinkering with the team setup.
I second Undernauts, its Experience's deepest DRPG. From locations, hazards, traversal, etc. It sorta scratched the EO feel a bit.

I’d say almost certainly- EO is pretty much the source for a pile of similar dungeon crawls since its launch. There will probably be demos closer to launch so you can try it out.
This is it, basically EO director idea was to revive the dungeon crawler rpg genre, and boy he did it

Switch has a good selection of Japanese gridders at this point. The best of the bunch are definitely the Experience games (Sapphire Wings/Sword City, Undernauts, Demon Gaze Extra and the very EO inspired Mon-yu is coming up from Aksys this year) and NISA's Labyrinth of Refrain/Galleria games also have a great reputation. There's more too, like Moreo Crystal H, Mary Skelter 1-2, The Lost Child, coming up Labyrinth of Zangetsu, but ymmv with those. Sadly the Class of Heroes 1-2 remasters haven't been localized but somehow the series' SRPG spinoff Adventure Academia was?

I'm kinda hoping Gamespark/59 Studio find a way to port their newish PC remaster of Wizardry: The Five Ordeals (plus all the Empire DLC) over at some point. It'd also be cool to see Starfish/Joyful Table/Mebius/whoever bring over the Elminage series (at least Original and Gothic which already have HD PC ports) and of course I hope Atlus keeps going with the HD remasters (EOIV/V/Nexus, PQ1-2, SMT Strange Journey, maybe even back to 90s fare like Devil Summoner, Soul Hackers, Persona 1 and SMT1/2/if).

Thanks. Both look really interesting, and if they're similar to Refrain, then I will deffo check them out. I think I will try Undernauts first, the artstyle really caught my attention.

Switch has a good selection of Japanese gridders at this point. The best of the bunch are definitely the Experience games (Sapphire Wings/Sword City, Undernauts, Demon Gaze Extra and the very EO inspired Mon-yu is coming up from Aksys this year) and NISA's Labyrinth of Refrain/Galleria games also have a great reputation. There's more too, like Moreo Crystal H, Mary Skelter 1-2, The Lost Child, coming up Labyrinth of Zangetsu, but ymmv with those. Sadly the Class of Heroes 1-2 remasters haven't been localized but somehow the series' SRPG spinoff Adventure Academia was?

I'm kinda hoping Gamespark/59 Studio find a way to port their newish PC remaster of Wizardry: The Five Ordeals (plus all the Empire DLC) over at some point. It'd also be cool to see Starfish/Joyful Table/Mebius/whoever bring over the Elminage series (at least Original and Gothic which already have HD PC ports) and of course I hope Atlus keeps going with the HD remasters (EOIV/V/Nexus, PQ1-2, SMT Strange Journey, maybe even back to 90s fare like Devil Summoner, Soul Hackers, Persona 1 and SMT1/2/if).
those are some really nice looking games. I think this kind of game is slowly becoming one of my favourite genres. I will deffo play Galleria, but since I have just finished Refrain after like 100 hours, I want to try a different series/game.

Has anyone here played Labyrinth of Refrain, how does Etrian compare to that game? From a quick search, they look quite similar in terms of gameplay, and since I enjoyed Refrain, I think I might like Etrian too.

speaking as someone who liked refrain quite a bit, the etrian games blow it out of the water in terms of party building, encounter design and aesthetics. refrains story is really good, and etrian is definitely lacking that but the rest more than makes up for it.

IGN: Does this open the door for a new Etrian Odyssey on Nintendo Switch or another platform? What about a new Persona Q game?

EO Team:
We can’t make any promises right now, but we’re definitely eager to see how fans receive these HD remasters!

Maybe this is a bit pessimistic but I thought it was strange they didn’t even acknowledge the Switch game here at all. Still, I don’t think we’d see all the work gone into these remasters if the plan wasn’t to have EO continue onwards on multiplat.

I think EO is a lot better when it comes to the turn based battles, character customization/builds, and exploration.
Refrain has a great story which really surprised me. The combat, customization, and exploration aren’t bad at all, I just wish it was as good as EO lol.
Im playing Labyrinth of Galleria right now and Im really loving it.

Maybe this is a bit pessimistic but I thought it was strange they didn’t even acknowledge the Switch game here at all. Still, I don’t think we’d see all the work gone into these remasters if the plan wasn’t to have EO continue onwards on multiplat.
I think it's more the usual "keep it on the script", its the same with the price where they don't actually answer it, just "yeah we offer a lot of hours for this great package"

This is it, basically EO director idea was to revive the dungeon crawler rpg genre, and boy he did it
Etrian Odyssey definitely sparked a crazy resurgence in popularity but the genre never really went away in Japan (unlike here). Even Wizardry itself was going strong through the early 2000s until licensing snafus basically led to the various companies making them to mostly strike on on their own with new IP.

Starfish and Opera House went directly from doing the Wizardry Empire subseries to Elminage on on PS2/DS/PSP. And I mean directly, Elminage 1 recycles lore, races and even full stat tables from their last title (Wizardry Asterisk on DS).

Michaelsoft who did the popular school focused Wizardry Xth games, and whose staff came from Soliton who'd done the Saturn/PS1 earlier Wizardry remakes and Dimigul, promptly imploded and spawned two new companies; Experience and ZeroDiv, who went on to make direct successors that were themselves near carbon copy remakes. From Experience we had the Generation Xth series, remade as Labyrinth Cross Blood and again as New Tokyo Legacy, and from ZeroDiv we got Class of Heroes. Experience in particular has really come to be something of a face for the genre for many fans.

And really even Atlus applies here as they'd been making PS2 Wizardry games and the loss of that license helped open the door for EO (nevermind SMT itself having plenty if Wizardry DNA). And cyclically the success of EO and ensuing DRPG resurgance also led to licensing getting sorted for Wizardry and the 2010s "Wizardry Renaissance" initiative from Genterprise (DS games), Acquire (PS3/Vita games), Gamepot (Wizardry Online) and several mobile studios. Now a mobile/media company Drecom owns the Wizardry license but still sublicenses it and is also doing their own 3D mobile game Wizardry Variants Daphne.

speaking as someone who liked refrain quite a bit, the etrian games blow it out of the water in terms of party building, encounter design and aesthetics. refrains story is really good, and etrian is definitely lacking that but the rest more than makes up for it.
I think EO is a lot better when it comes to the turn based battles, character customization/builds, and exploration.
Refrain has a great story which really surprised me. The combat, customization, and exploration aren’t bad at all, I just wish it was as good as EO lol.
Im playing Labyrinth of Galleria right now and Im really loving it.
Thank you. Refrain's story wasn't that great at all IMO, it's the gameplay that kept me playing till the end, though team building was quite a chore, especially in post game, so hearing Etrian is better in that regard is more than enough to convince me.

Etrian Odyssey definitely sparked a crazy resurgence in popularity but the genre never really went away in Japan (unlike here). Even Wizardry itself was going strong through the early 2000s until licensing snafus basically led to the various companies making them to mostly strike on on their own with new IP.

Starfish and Opera House went directly from doing the Wizardry Empire subseries to Elminage on on PS2/DS/PSP. And I mean directly, Elminage 1 recycles lore, races and even full stat tables from their last title (Wizardry Asterisk on DS).

Michaelsoft who did the popular school focused Wizardry Xth games, and whose staff came from Soliton who'd done the Saturn/PS1 earlier Wizardry remakes and Dimigul, promptly imploded and spawned two new companies; Experience and ZeroDiv, who went on to make direct successors that were themselves near carbon copy remakes. From Experience we had the Generation Xth series, remade as Labyrinth Cross Blood and again as New Tokyo Legacy, and from ZeroDiv we got Class of Heroes. Experience in particular has really come to be something of a face for the genre for many fans.

And really even Atlus applies here as they'd been making PS2 Wizardry games and the loss of that license helped open the door for EO (nevermind SMT itself having plenty if Wizardry DNA). And cyclically the success of EO and ensuing DRPG resurgance also led to licensing getting sorted for Wizardry and the 2010s "Wizardry Renaissance" initiative from Genterprise (DS games), Acquire (PS3/Vita games), Gamepot (Wizardry Online) and several mobile studios. Now a mobile/media company Drecom owns the Wizardry license but still sublicenses it and is also doing their own 3D mobile game Wizardry Variants Daphne.
Oh yeah I think his message was more about making it popular again and not keeping just the same wizardy fanbase

Here is the complete quote of Nino interview

When I talked to our marketing team, I told them I wanted to emphasize that Etrian is "the renewal of the 3D dungeon RPG." What I mean by that is that I hope the genre will thrive again, not just attract the same Wizardry fans.

Of course, that's a tall order for a little game, and we don't expect we'll be able to accomplish this alone. We do hope that this game might be a cue for the genre to come back, though. It doesn't end here: once we gather players and a market for this type of game, then we can really begin.

Even so... I don't think that "cue" for the genre to resurrect itself has to be Etrian Odyssey, or even an Atlus game. My real hope in making this game was that at some other company, some talented developer will be inspired to create a 3D dungeon RPG that everyone will love. I hope this can be at least one step on that path.

If in 10 years, I can play the wonderful new dungeon RPGs of those developers while lying in bed, I'll consider it a success.

And I think that last part was really acomplished thanks to EO

I think it's more the usual "keep it on the script", its the same with the price where they don't actually answer it, just "yeah we offer a lot of hours for this great package"
It's this. The devs confirmed awhile back during the first JP gameplay broadcast that the previously announced "SQ Project" was still coming and these remasters came out of the work on that adapting the DS/3DS interface to modern platforms.

And I think that last part was really acomplished thanks to EO
Oh, 100% agreed.

It's this. The devs confirmed awhile back during the first JP gameplay broadcast that the previously announced "SQ Project" was still coming and these remasters came out of the work on that adapting the DS/3DS interface to modern platforms.

Oh, 100% agreed.
Good to know, thanks!

Etrian series is as hardcore as a RPG can get. I don't remember playing a RPG, dungeon crawler or anything else, this difficult and time consuming. There is no money for battle rewards, Inn cost goes up every time you level up, AI always goes after the weakest member, new members start at lv 1 and leveling them up is tricky as hell and if you don't know where you're going, an overleveled FOE might kick your ass and you'd lose all your progress in that run.

Etrian series is as hardcore as a RPG can get. I don't remember playing a RPG, dungeon crawler or anything else, this difficult and time consuming. There is no money for battle rewards, Inn cost goes up every time you level up, AI always goes after the weakest member, new members start at lv 1 and leveling them up is tricky as hell and if you don't know where you're going, an overleveled FOE might kick your ass and you'd lose all your progress in that run.
Ah those good times when they add FOEs in the same area of the boss, and the FOEs join the battle lol

I think the toughest thing about EO might be how opaque it is generally about information. Leveling up stats and skills really was a shot in the dark, not only in terms of numbers and ratios but sometimes what they even really did. I don't even want to think how much time was eaten up with trial and error in the first game and how I even completed it, lol.

Picnic difficulty might be a welcome experience tbh.

I think the toughest thing about EO might be how opaque it is generally about information. Leveling up stats and skills really was a shot in the dark, not only in terms of numbers and ratios but sometimes what they even really did. I don't even want to think how much time was eaten up with trial and error in the first game and how I even completed it, lol.

Picnic difficulty might be a welcome experience tbh.
I remember saving the build and skill points calculators in my pc at the time. But really I think the worst (or better depends how masochist you are) were the AWFUL drop % / bind % rates were, and even use the skill to improve them were just a mere 1% or 2 % betters. Good luck farming those materials from the dragons

Thank you. Refrain's story wasn't that great at all IMO, it's the gameplay that kept me playing till the end, though team building was quite a chore, especially in post game, so hearing Etrian is better in that regard is more than enough to convince me.

oh huh, i ended up really liking where refrains story went in the latter 30 hours or so (post game included) but fair enough. i would say that party building in etrian is probably less complicated since you arent creating miniature parties within your main party like you are with refrain. you just have 5 class slots to fill.

i recommend looking at some out of game resources before building your first party, figure out some talent builds and stuff. etrian games are fun in that you can run all sorts of parties, from your basic tank, healer, and 3 dps, but for the most part the games are completely beatable, even n harder difficulties, with unconventional comps. classes can often be individual powerhouses or can synergize with other party members to become even more powerful.

its honestly some of the best party building and classing ive seen in a turn based rpg of any variety

NIS' Labyrinth series is more story-based compared to what you get in Etrian Odyssey. In Refrain the main impetus for going through the dungeons was to get to the next story sequence. Meanwhile the story in EO is sparse, especially in the first two games, with the main motivation for dungeon crawling being the exploration and creation of your map.

If there is a demo I would definitely recommend giving it a chance.

Happy Birthday to my favorite entry (and my favorite game period). Sucks we did not get an Untold version of this game.

Looking forward to playing it in HD (after a sale lol)

Cool to see the option of full mapping. Cursor seems automatic when drawing lines, I hope its not too odd.

Not a fan of all the new portraits but the new vid shows the game looks clean and the sound quality is great.

Cool to see the option of full mapping. Cursor seems automatic when drawing lines, I hope its not too odd.

Not a fan of all the new portraits but the new vid shows the game looks clean and the sound quality is great.

Yeah there is a big contrast between Himukai original EO art and his current style, but still having more portraits its a good thing.

I'm so excited, but man I wish they did the Untold versions for 1 and 2. I know that would mean they'd have to put more work into 3 and I like that they're backporting some QoL from Untold/later entries, but the pop-in from the original DS versions is kinda distracting.

I'm so excited, but man I wish they did the Untold versions for 1 and 2. I know that would mean they'd have to put more work into 3 and I like that they're backporting some QoL from Untold/later entries, but the pop-in from the original DS versions is kinda distracting.
I would have loved the Untold games but yeah 3 would have been an outlier. I think the original is going to be the worst viewed, cause even with QOL from the Untold games, that entry has some weird spikes of difficulty and bs floors.

Back
Top Bottom