• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Etrian Odyssey Origins Collection announced for Nintendo Switch and Steam, coming June 1st (UPDATE: new gameplay trailer, see threadmarks)

So weird that it seems to be based on the original DS releases, why didn't they use Untold for 1 & 2?

Couldn't quite tell if we're getting the Untold versions of 1&2, didn't look like the "story modes" from those were in at least.

If you only play one of these, play EO3.

bro these things are $40 USD EACH on steam lmao. theres a 33% off bundle with all 3 for $80 but theyre $40 each individually.

what the fuck are they thinking?? Lmao

EO 3 is such a good game and it didn’t get a release in Europe either in its original form or as Untold. I loved the minigame where you explore in a boat piece by piece, and the descent into an oceanic abyss gets really unsettling later on. Some choices in the story too.

Interested to see how well the mapping goes without a stylus on Switch. There’s an automap function but I enjoy pencilling the walls in, annotating with icons and notes etc.

Another for the shopping list 💸
I am surprised this didn't come out a year or two earlier, but I am happy to see it as confirmation that the Etrian series remains fixed in Atlus' sights!

Perhaps there was credence to speculation that finishing SMTV sucked in a lot of the dev resources that used to be comfortably divided among multiple 3DS-scope projects?

Anyway, this makes me feel really bullish that a new Etrian announcement is not far off 🙏

Edit: O wut, no physical? Would love to see a nice steelbook bundled with a switch-ready stylus.

I've played IV and Millennium Girl Untold, and have a copy of Untold 2 still in its cellophane wrapper. For a person not well versed in the lore am I right in thinking the Untold versions added a story but the OG games on DS were pure dungeon crawlers? But we don't know what versions of the games this HD collection is based on?

I'm wondering how map drawing will work when docked. I'm hoping for mouse support but so few games support it I am not holding my breath.

Couldn't quite tell if we're getting the Untold versions of 1&2, didn't look like the "story modes" from those were in at least.

If you only play one of these, play EO3.
Don't listen to @Weebos, play all of them

I've played IV and Millennium Girl Untold, and have a copy of Untold 2 still in its cellophane wrapper. For a person not well versed in the lore am I right in thinking the Untold versions added a story but the OG games on DS were pure dungeon crawlers? But we don't know what versions of the games this HD collection is based on?

I'm wondering how map drawing will work when docked. I'm hoping for mouse support but so few games support it I am not holding my breath.
Both have story in the original versions, but not stablished characters for your party (the NPC do have their own thing going) . I honestly believe there are some things better conveyed and more surprising in the first EO without the story mode since it kinda spoilers some things

Got excited thinking this was new. At least it still exists in some capacity I guess and they're probably working on a new entry.

Just looked up the price on the UK eShop... £71.99. Oooof.

This is exactly the price I expected when they said they'd be available separately or in a bundle but still, lol. Etrian games used to go for the price of a cup of coffee on the 3DS for years, guess they're balancing it out. I'll be skipping these and just continuing to play the originals.

I need a physical version or I'm not going to be able to complete my Etrian Altar

HOw7LV8.jpg

So weird that it seems to be based on the original DS releases, why didn't they use Untold for 1 & 2?

Because Atlus lol they will always go the weirdest way they can about everything.

I'll just buy Untold 2 on the 3DS (it's basically for free right now) and skip these. Maybe I'll get 3 at some point.

I was a 100% day one buyer, but digital-only and $80 causes hesitation. I still plan on buying it, but plan on waiting for a sale now.

Not touching the price discussion, but it's super depressing if these are really digital only.

There is going to be an stream later today in Japan showing new features of the games

bro these things are $40 USD EACH on steam lmao. theres a 33% off bundle with all 3 for $80 but theyre $40 each individually.

what the fuck are they thinking?? Lmao
You seem the resale prices for the DS versions? I guess the nice thing is they will get steep discounts eventually. The more concerning thing is that puts a physical copy at risk of the price is this much.

You seem the resale prices for the DS versions? I guess the nice thing is they will get steep discounts eventually. The more concerning thing is that puts a physical copy at risk of the price is this much.

yeah but i dont think setting the price on digital remasters based on the price of 10 year out of print DS cartridges is common practice, nor should it be lol. like c'mon they dropped persona 4 golden at $20 on steam and thats a relatively popular title. speaking as someone whos completed every mainline etrian game, untolds included, i have a hard time understanding who these are really for lol. if theres some kind of physical release, jp only or otherwise, i might try to get my hands on it but the price is whack.

As someone who has never played the series, I am curious. Hopefully there is a physical edition, but if the digital bundle is $80 then I'm not sure it will come.

If it weren't for Re-Prime, this would've easily been my game of the show.

Can't wait to see what the JP broadcast shows off!

yeah but i dont think setting the price on digital remasters based on the price of 10 year out of print DS cartridges is common practice, nor should it be lol. like c'mon they dropped persona 4 golden at $20 on steam and thats a relatively popular title. speaking as someone whos completed every mainline etrian game, untolds included, i have a hard time understanding who these are really for lol. if theres some kind of physical release, jp only or otherwise, i might try to get my hands on it but the price is whack.
Yeah. I do think it’s a poor pricing structure, but I don’t know what the work is on converting this. I thought it would be $60 and $20 each, but Atlus always has the premium in these games at launch.

This was a huge disappointment. EO is my favourite RPG series ever, so I was hoping for a new game and wondering how they'd do it on the Switch.

Instead we get remasters of the three original DS games - instead of the two 3ds remakes - each priced at $40, each digital only, with a map UI that looks pretty barebones and will have none of the tactile pleasure of mapping on the 3ds.

I can't see why I'd buy these, but if people don't that probably spells the end of this incredible series. What a bummer.

You monster.

But actually, it makes sense if you're playing this on any system that doesn't have the form factor of the DS/3DS.
For sure, the way they showed mapping it yourself looked docked Mario Maker 2 levels of awkward. I'm sure it can be done fast/well when you learn how to do it, but I don't see myself learning that skill for these remasters.

Gonna scrub it up and use the auto map feature 🙈🙉
Me too. At some point it gets really annoying. On 3DS I straight up cheated and drew the maps by looking at them on web. Ain't got no time for drawing when I needed to grind to the hell and back to defeat FOEs!

(f those physical immune FOE's in EO2 btw)

This was a huge disappointment. EO is my favourite RPG series ever, so I was hoping for a new game and wondering how they'd do it on the Switch.

Instead we get remasters of the three original DS games - instead of the two 3ds remakes - each priced at $40, each digital only, with a map UI that looks pretty barebones and will have none of the tactile pleasure of mapping on the 3ds.

I can't see why I'd buy these, but if people don't that probably spells the end of this incredible series. What a bummer.
I totally agree, they had the untold ones with huge QoL for 1&2 (plus the music), especially for 1 (OG is brutal). And that pricing is weird.

I do disagree about the end of the series. There is a new one in dev, so even if these dont sell well (high likelihood), a new one should be in the horizon.

I haven’t played the Untold versions so I was hoping those would be the ones to get the glow up. Ah well.

We should have more familiarity or conception of why anyone would prefer the DS games over the remakes. Plus it's better to maintain the progression in the games' design language as it would be clunky to go from Untold 1 and 2 to DS 3.

Just looked up the price on the UK eShop... £71.99. Oooof.
Atlus saw the rumors of the TotK price yesterday and thought "y'know what? I'mma worse lmao"
I understand tho that it's more of a bundle than an actual collection but I was still shocked, thought they'd go with the same price as P3/P4.
But the P5R port was already priced higher than SMT V sooooo...

I was so excited when this showed up on the headline reel since I thought it was a new entry, but I'll gladly take remasters of the first three games.
Honestly I prefer the original releases over the Untold versions.
The price is ridiculous lmao

Atlus released fucking Persona 4 Golden for 20€ after the Persona 5 hype so I don't get it.
That's most likely because Atlus already released P4G on Steam for $20 and if they charged more for it on the other platforms people would get pissed. I have no doubt if the game released on every platform at the same time it would have been priced at $30-40.

We should have more familiarity or conception of why anyone would prefer the DS games over the remakes. Plus it's better to maintain the progression in the games' design language as it would be clunky to go from Untold 1 and 2 to DS 3.
Yeah, this is why for me it makes more sense the went with the original, as otherwise 3 would be the "old style", not to mention they can add the balances like fixin immunize and making any other low % skills actually work without modifying much of the game

I kinda want to try the game after looking at the more indepth trailer...but the price is too much man.

There is going to be an stream later today in Japan showing new features of the games

Ohh I wonder what features and QoL stuff will have, and if how much will balance the games, if at all. Subclassing in EO3 is kinda infamous haha

You know Atlus is learning the new business models when they start to add table for the different version bonus lol. Also this confirms a physicial release in japan at least

news0209_guide_img_03.jpg

Back
Top Bottom