• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Etrian Odyssey Origins Collection announced for Nintendo Switch and Steam, coming June 1st (UPDATE: new gameplay trailer, see threadmarks)

Ohh I wonder what features and QoL stuff will have, and if how much will balance the games, if at all. Subclassing in EO3 is kinda infamous haha
NOthing is more broken than EO1 Immunize and I'm sure that's getting nerfed to the ground

I was interested, and then they're like, oh, this is $80, and I'm like...
15fe3d40-516f-4766-a967-125b0250ac46_text.gif

But replace Jonas with Atlus.

So the general consensus im getting is that the Untold versions of the first two games on the 3DS are very different from the originals, and effectively entirely different games than the 1 and 2 in this collection?

I was interested in this, but I saw the price on the eshop earlier and will be holding off. I do appreciate they are there if I ever want the non remade versions of 1 and 2.

So the general consensus im getting is that the Untold versions of the first two games on the 3DS are very different from the originals, and effectively entirely different games than the 1 and 2 in this collection?
Kinda, yeah. Both Untold games have two mode: classic and story modes. The classic mode plays almost the same as the original game, so you create your own party and customize as you wish; story mode don't let you create your own party.

But the biggest difference between both modes is than story mode feels more like a regular jrpg, with your characters talking and reacting to events of the game; you can say is more character-driven. In classic mode, by virtue to don't have a defined party you as the player barely "participate" in important cutscenes and its the NPCs which advance the plot.

Still, the main gameplay loop is the same in both modes and the distinct elements in each place (floors, enemies and bosses) are the same or have few differences.

I wouldn't go that far, they are basically a .5 verision with some QoL features added and better balance as the first 2 were rather simple games. The main difference of the untold versions is that they offer a story mode with preset characters, more similar to a normal jrpg. But you also have the classic mode which is the base game just updated

With that said a lot of the QoL and bugs fixed could easily be applied here (and def. some comobs that break the game will be fixed). They also added difficulty options not present in the original games so we are getting something in between

After enjoying Dungeon Encounters and it's barebones "story" and I quite look forward to customising my own party and focusing on the the action instead. I just need to get over the price point (by waiting for a 50% sale).

I'm more anxious about mouse support on Switch. So many Switch games would benefit from mouse support for those of us who have a dock at their desk. Would alleviate any awkwardness playing docked with a controller. And there is mouse support in the Steam version according to the PR piece.

Tactics Ogre quietly left in mouse and keyboard support for Switch so I've got fingers and toes crossed.

Last edited:
Apparently they confirmed earlier that they are still working on the next entry, and are aiming for 2024 for that.

Not 100% sure on the source, but I think it was in the JP only stream early this morning.

They also showed off some of the changes for these releases, including a bunch of settings like battle speed and such.

So the stream show the basic new additions like the portraits and how the mapping works (no mention of mouse on switch) where you actually control the map area with the right stick.

Other things are the difficulty settings where expert is the original one of the DS lol and for EO3 the multiplayer part of the sea exploration will be online

And for EO3 Koshiro confirmed a new track is being added

So the stream show the basic new additions like the portraits and how the mapping works (no mention of mouse on switch) where you actually control the map area with the right stick.

Other things are the difficulty settings where expert is the original one of the DS lol and for EO3 the multiplayer part of the sea exploration will be online

And for EO3 Koshiro confirmed a new track is being added
Lol that’ll be the first time I’ve ever completed a whole set of games on ‘expert’, I battled through all of them on DS first time around!

Man, still so happy about this announcement!

This was me during the Direct yesterday:

etrianaacim.gif

Apparently they confirmed earlier that they are still working on the next entry, and are aiming for 2024 for that.

Not 100% sure on the source, but I think it was in the JP only stream early this morning.

They also showed off some of the changes for these releases, including a bunch of settings like battle speed and such.
Really happy to hear that. Hopefully the next entry will be a big step forward.

The last one I played was Nexus which was what, 3-4 years ago now? I felt a bit burnt out after playing an EO-style game annually for a decade, but I’m ready to see the series move forward now. Might even play through EOIII again to ‘tide’ me over (sorry!).

Not got much to do with the remasters but I just came across this image that was apparently on the old Etrian Odyssey website, I think it's a very nice message.

EymhznEXEAInnYD

Not got much to do with the remasters but I just came across this image that was apparently on the old Etrian Odyssey website, I think it's a very nice message.

EymhznEXEAInnYD
This is the spirit in which I fell in love with the games. They reminded me of tabletop rpgs with my friends at a point when playing over the internet wasn’t really viable for us.

Was posted on Reddit. Seems a Japanese shop has this as placeholder for a 10K physical release with stylus:

d0qdvlwuz1ha1n9c0m.png
We won’t see it but I would love this. The royalty class is one of my favourites, and a huge part of my nostalgia for EO is wrapped up in evoking ‘pen and paper’ on the DS.

We won’t see it but I would love this. The royalty class is one of my favourites, and a huge part of my nostalgia for EO is wrapped up in evoking ‘pen and paper’ on the DS.
Yeah, but still I hope we might import it and it will have English language too. I need my modern day Wizardry-fix in a physical package lol.

The SMT collabs are already DLC, so I wonder if they will have more portraits and music as DLC.

Pipedream, but I would love to see the Untold story mode classes come as DLC as well, I didn't really want to bother with playing the whole story mode just to access the class in the Untold games.

Yeah, but still I hope we might import it and it will have English language too. I need my modern day Wizardry-fix in a physical package lol.
Wish the Wizardy games get released in modern consoles, I plan to play the SNES/PS1 versions someday but it's a shame such iconic series is almost dead (and GoG only have the last 3 games...)

You know Atlus is learning the new business models when they start to add table for the different version bonus lol. Also this confirms a physicial release in japan at least

news0209_guide_img_03.jpg
I would be willing to spend more money on a physical edition. Here's hoping it comes out in the West, if not I will have to import it.

Price seems steep for games I'm not sure I'd end up liking. Will probably wait for a sale.

Other thing I didn't mention, for the map drawing there are 2 options for Auto, regular and full (this one draw walls and I think specific things like events)
Since Atlus are starting to deliver the goods on Switch, I'm hoping for a Devil Survivors bundle.
Oh god I need this now too

Since Atlus are starting to deliver the goods on Switch, I'm hoping for a Devil Survivors bundle.
I want their next remaster to be something that I haven't already bought it TWICE. Never played those Devil Summoner games on PS2 and they're begging to get HD remastered. They need to be prioritized.

I want their next remaster to be something that I haven't already bought it TWICE. Never played those Devil Summoner games on PS2 and they're begging to get HD remastered. They need to be prioritized.
Time for a Last Bible / Revaltions and Devil Children / DemiKids collection!

Time for a Last Bible / Revaltions and Devil Children / DemiKids collection!
Actually... a new Demikids might not be a bad idea. Both Pokémon and Digimon are more popular than ever, it's time for Atlus to cash on it. Give me competitive meta game too, Atlus!

So based on the reddit thread it seems like the new one is on the way. The transition from DS/3DS appears to be the biggest obstacle. Fingers cross its works out.

I went back to the games to check out the final dungeons and 2&3 imo still hold up, specially 3. But 1 is a slog and unbalanced, the skill tree kinda sucks lol. I hope with the QoL mentioned its beginner friendly at least. If they ever port the 3ds games, my guess is that they will do 4,5 and nexus, not sure about the remakes (which have a nice cast).

I mentioned in a pre-direct thread that if an EO game was announced I would spearhead a DRPG thread for the 3 people in fami lol. But Ill wait closer to release.

Not sure this has English, but physical coming to the Asian market. I assume this means no western physical since we haven’t seen anything about it yet.

Not sure this has English, but physical coming to the Asian market. I assume this means no western physical since we haven’t seen anything about it yet.

If it has english I might bite. I am so fucking annoyed with myself. The more I look at the game, the more I want it, despite knowing the price is way too much. God damn you Atlus, you little punks!

Wish I knew if that physical cart version had English. Will be sold out long before it ever ships to find out. :(

As far as I know it's only japanese, the landing page doesn't show any othher info on the language

Kinda, yeah. Both Untold games have two mode: classic and story modes. The classic mode plays almost the same as the original game, so you create your own party and customize as you wish; story mode don't let you create your own party.

But the biggest difference between both modes is than story mode feels more like a regular jrpg, with your characters talking and reacting to events of the game; you can say is more character-driven. In classic mode, by virtue to don't have a defined party you as the player barely "participate" in important cutscenes and its the NPCs which advance the plot.

Still, the main gameplay loop is the same in both modes and the distinct elements in each place (floors, enemies and bosses) are the same or have few differences.

Since that is the case, why aren't Atlus releasing the Untold versions of the games instead?

Since that is the case, why aren't Atlus releasing the Untold versions of the games instead?
On one hand, Untold versions are more streamlined than 3, so it would be the odd one both in story and mechanics (as the progression from 1 to 3 feels more natural).
On the other, and something that hasn't been mentioned, 1 to 3 uses the same engine, with sprite based enemies, while Untold uses EO4 engine with 3D models, so porting all the games it's easier and you don't have a mix of assets

Probably worth noting before the 3DS store goes down that EO1 Untold and EO4 are both £8.99 there permanently. The others are £25-35 and used to go on sale a lot, but I would hazard a guess that this announcement means they won't do that again before the shop closes.

Also Untold 1 and 2 changes a lot of party building with the Grimoire mechanics, the bosses, maps and enemies are not always the same as the original games and, more important in the second Untold game than in the first, the games are balanced around content found in story mode, so playing classic mode is more punishing that what should be.

I doubt those new remakes will be exactly the same as the original games, but at least more closer to them than the classic modes in the Untold games. And beside, unless the Switch remakes have some rebalance in classes or party synergy, I feel those will be almost like vanilla but with a improved engine in the map and a better presentation of your skill tree progression, which is fine for me.

imho Untold 1 and 2 could be sold as DLC or a future set collection, but ideally I prefer a set including IV, V and Nexus and/or releasing EO V, those situations are more important than bring back the Untold games.

Last edited:
Any update on whether or not the Asian release will include the English version?
Nope, even the eshop description show it as japanese only so I wouldn't count on the physical being a different sku (this was also the case with SMTV so it's a Sega thing)

On other news they corrected that for the beast class in EO2 you can't use portraits from other classes, but you can use the beast portraits in other classes

Nope, even the eshop description show it as japanese only so I wouldn't count on the physical being a different sku (this was also the case with SMTV so it's a Sega thing)

On other news they corrected that for the beast class in EO2 you can't use portraits from other classes, but you can use the beast portraits in other classes
I wonder if you will be able to use Teddie for the Beast class, I assumed that's why he was chosen for EO2.

It will be super fun to use Beast portraits for other classes though lol.

I wonder if you will be able to use Teddie for the Beast class, I assumed that's why he was chosen for EO2.

It will be super fun to use Beast portraits for other classes though lol.
I'm guessing Teddie / Kuma would be the beast, still since you can use them for any other class they don't limit you, guess they just want to avoid any issue , as the class in jp is Pet, so having human pets would be something...

We still have plenty of time so hopefully an English physical copy comes to fruition.

is some of the EO lover going to keep an eye on Labyrinth of Galleria: The Moon Society?
Seems to be pretty well done
It is amazing. Both refrain and galleria take what made EO special and add the OTT Disgaea madness + great story.

Loved the first one so I'm already looking for a copy.

It is amazing. Both refrain and galleria take what made EO special and add the OTT Disgaea madness + great story.

thank you both: I'm not an expert of the genre, but I am reviewing Galleria and I think it's pretty good (for what it is, obviously) and I've seen on Metacritic that I'm not the only one with this positive approach

Back
Top Bottom