• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Endless Ocean Luminous — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: overview trailer, see threadmarks)

If anyone was curious…

The trailer for Luminous mentions it has over 500 species…

EO1 had about 200 and EO3 had about 350 (when counting legendary creatures and variants)

So… this game is already larger in that regard!!

This whole thing made me crave for some Subnautica. I think I'll play the second game, never got to it.

I'm super excited for this! Never played Endless Ocean before and multiplayer looks like a lot of fun! Cool thing about this is that they filed a set of new Endless Ocean trademarks from 2018 to 2022 in various regions. What a cool reveal!

Industry is doomed because Gamers don't like the same niche game I do. /s

Anyway, happy endless ocean fans got their sequel. Which is neat. We have enough ports/remasters so something new is good. Not really interested in online play for a game like this though, I guess its the devs bread and butter. sea life is always a good vibe.

I need to go play Abzu now.

We already have confirmation of Hoffman’s Mosasaur.

I wonder what other prehistoric sea monsters are gonna be there. Megalodon is pretty much guaranteed.
Cameroceras and Plesiosaur are probably likely, considering they were in 2…

Beyond that, I’d love to see Dunkleostaus or even Tullimonstrum… I love the silly ones, if that wasn’t obvious LOL

nintendo needs to add my boy wiwaxia in there as well. make it an everyone is here moment but its all the cambrian freaks.
concur but isn’t wiwaxia like a centimeter long

Also, can I just…bang my lonely “Ecco or spiritual successor” drum for a minute? It’s cool to be a diver and Abzu is my favorite game but I want to be a dolphin, and I want to explore an interactive Christian Lassen painting while listening to a bitchin new age soundtrack. Do you all see my vision

Big year for Touch! Generations titles that there's been a 15 year gap since the last entry in the series, what with this and Another Code in January.

I really hope they write a couple sentences of information of each of the species in the game. Watching the trailer again it seems like there is an 'observe' feature where the camera locks onto a creature to focus on, but no obvious 'give me info' prompt. Did the previous games give info about each of the species?

I really hope they write a couple sentences of information of each of the species in the game. Watching the trailer again it seems like there is an 'observe' feature where the camera locks onto a creature to focus on, but no obvious 'give me info' prompt. Did the previous games give info about each of the species?
Yes!

Each animal had three tiers of information you could unlock through interacting with them in the first game. That might have been consolidated into just one entry in EO2, I can’t remember.

I’d say it’s likely to return here, since it was in both of the previous games in some form.

Yes!

Each animal had three tiers of information you could unlock through interacting with them in the first game. That might have been consolidated into just one entry in EO2, I can’t remember.

I’d say it’s likely to return here, since it was in both of the previous games in some form.
Excellent! Definitely seems like the type of thing that wouldn't be to difficult to add (outside of the actual research and writing haha) so I figured it would be in. I was hugely disappointment in Smash Ultimate because they didn't do something similar for the spirits.

Have you actually looked at the Wii game in motion? It also had multiplayer...
2 players, vs 16 players. I think it clearly has an effect on their graphical target, but maybe i'm crazy.

edit: it's actually 30 players... definitely a different direction, which is fine. Just doesn't interest me.

Last edited:
2 players, vs 16 players. I think it clearly has an effect on their graphical target, but maybe i'm crazy.
yea, you kinda are. that's not hitting the system that hard.

whatever problems you have with the visuals could probably be better explained by budget. because this is Endless Ocean, after all

I loved Endless Ocean 2 on Wii, the graphics were good for the platform and the story was clever directed. Waited long for a sequel.

Perhaps some information is hidden, but it seems EO3 has no story at all, the video gives me some GaaS vibes. Roguelike without a story. Disappointing and definitely not for me.

The open ocean in the final level of Endless Ocean 2 is probably the scariest thing I have seen on any Nintendo platform, I can't wait to see the horrors Nintendo has cooked up for this game.

As happy as I am about a new Endless Ocean I cannot get over my fear of the ocean. I think playing Ecco as a child did it tbh. I'll wait and see if sharks can attack you in this one before deciding on purchasing it. I know it's weird to be happy about a new Endless Ocean and fearing to play it.

Even though this probably won't really be my game, I'm glad Nintendo is continuing with the weird and unconventional releases late in the Switch's life. Looks neat to me even if it will probably run not the best...

Also, did Nintendo randomly drop a first party announcement in a Partner Direct lol?

I hope this game supports surround sound. Gonna need that calming marine life sound all over the room.

I was pretty down on F-Zero 99 when it was first revealed; I thought it was all over. Then I played it and realized that it not only was extremely funny, but also it's one of the best F-Zero games. I'm glad F-Zero is back, and with a real entry... F-Zero 99!

A bit weird to see people pretend as if the original EO games were examples of good graphics on the Wii. Those two titles were some mid-budget releases if I ever saw one. Not a problem at all, but to pretend this one doesn't follow in those footsteps on the Switch feels some folks just love arguing in extremely bad faith.

EDIT:

Last edited:
Yes!

There seems to be 5 tiers of info for each animal that you unlock with some sort of points (probably interaction based).
Check the UI on the top right:

f056f0f5977860a48077aee1b831ab29dfe545c02f4b97170b63eb82fc40e68e

I wonder what the top left UI is. Points are probably the total score from the current dive, the gauge with the circles is...oxygen? (at 0 because you're just looking at fish, in screenshots of swimming it's always somewhat full).

A lot that hasn't even been shown, as usual with Nintendo's 1st trailers:

• Interaction with animals
  • Objectives
  • Clear look at the gameplay loop
  • Story setup (it will at least have something simple like the 1st game. The Veiled Sea concept needs some setup)
  • Hub and customization (aquarium, gear etc)
  • Collectibles, treasures and environmental interaction (fingers crossed)
  • Dolphin training! (fingers crossed x2)

Last edited:
I'm curious how multiplayer will function. Has there been any reveals on that front? Is it just looking at fish with friends, or are there any cooperative/competitive modes to achieve a goal? An Endless Ocean 99 mode perhaps?

I'm curious how multiplayer will function. Has there been any reveals on that front? Is it just looking at fish with friends, or are there any cooperative/competitive modes to achieve a goal? An Endless Ocean 99 mode perhaps?

The focus is collaborative, chill exploration multiplayer. From Nintendo's page:

"Wander together in groups of up to 30 with a Nintendo Switch Online membership*. Greet your fellow divers with a gesture and then delve into the depths to share discoveries."

You'll probably drop into an area and then go explore together or head in separate ways until you feel like meeting up.
There's what appears to be a percentage of creatures found and area explored in this menu (bottom of the map).

Endless-Ocean-Luminous-Announcement-Trailer-Nintendo-Switch-1-2-screenshot.png

Sharing looks really easy to turn on and off too (button prompt on top right of map), so I bet it's seamlessly integrated.

My guess: you all have similar objectives - find new animals, get more intel on certain species, uncover rare locations, chart the sea - and you help each other out by calling each other when you find something, experience the joy of discovery together, or just walk by eachother and say hi etc.

Last edited:
A bit weird to see people pretend as if the original EO games were examples of good graphics on the Wii. Those two titles were some mid-budget releases if I ever saw one. Not a problem at all, but to pretend this one doesn't follow in those footsteps on the Switch feels some folks just love arguing in extremely bad faith.

EDIT:

I definitely would not call the Wii games technical showpieces, but Akira made some smart art design choices with the games (especially Blue World), like the time-of-day environment lighting, real-time environment shadows with ambient light (this was not a common feature for Wii games), general scene composition, and caustic texture hacks. While the texture filtering and aliasing were very poor, the games were more aesthetically pleasing than the average Wii game, that's for sure. Character and object model geometry was also above average for Wii games. Again, nothing outstanding, but very serviceable for their time.

I also remember the marketing materials showing off the post-processing abilities of the photos you could take in the games, which boosted the quality of the visuals beyond what you would see during normal gameplay, though if memory serves correctly it took quite a few seconds for those photos to process.

That being said, Luminous is clearly leagues above the old games in every area, even if it's not a technical showpiece for the Switch. The light scatter and absorption effects through distant water look great, though the game could really use some ambient occlusion to help everything feel more grounded.

EDIT:

The focus is collaborative, chill exploration multiplayer. From Nintendo's page:

"Wander together in groups of up to 30 with a Nintendo Switch Online membership*. Greet your fellow divers with a gesture and then delve into the depths to share discoveries."

You'll probably drop into an area and then go explore together or head in separate ways until you feel like meeting up.
There's what appears to be a percentage of creatures found and area explored in this menu (bottom of the map).

Endless-Ocean-Luminous-Announcement-Trailer-Nintendo-Switch-1-2-screenshot.png

Sharing looks really easy to turn on and off too (button prompt on top right of map), so I bet it's seamlessly integrated.

My guess: you all have similar objectives - find new animals, get more intel on certain species, uncover rare locations, chart the sea - and you help each other out by calling each other when you find something, experience the joy of discovery together, or just walk by eachother and say hi etc.

This sounds great to me. I remember people not understanding the point of the Wii games and I believe this game will be no different in that regard. They're not action heavy games and are more like interactive discovery tours, very chill. The perfect kind of game to unwind with after a hard day's work. It's not for everyone, just like walking simulators. Definitely my jam though.

Last edited:
I wonder exactly how the multiplayer will work in regards to who you can play with and how. Like, is it friends only, or is there an option to play with random players online as well? Or can you make public and/or private groups that you can share and invite people into? If it’s friends only, it’s gonna be really hard to play with large groups of people… That said, I would certainly want the option to play with just friends, too. And I hope local wireless is supported as well.

EDIT: Looks like local wireless isn’t listed on the game’s page on Nintendo’s website… Damn. =/ Always a bummer when online multiplayer games don’t offer local wireless as an option. Nintendo games are usually good about providing that, too…

I wonder exactly how the multiplayer will work in regards to who you can play with and how. Like, is it friends only, or is there an option to play with random players online as well? Or can you make public and/or private groups that you can share and invite people into? If it’s friends only, it’s gonna be really hard to play with large groups of people… That said, I would certainly want the option to play with just friends, too. And I hope local wireless is supported as well.
To me it seems like you can play with randoms. 30 people, poses and emoji interaction without voice chat, how easy it seems to be to toggle sharing and the focus on multiplayer in the press release all point towards it.

Last edited:
I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye on this one -- I loved Endless Ocean on the Wii, and I spent a lot of late nights playing it to completion. I have to admit that I thought Nintendo had abandoned this series; I thought there was an outside chance of an HD port of the first two games, but I never expected them to do a fully-featured sequel.

Journey-style multiplayer in this would be great. Where you just turn on “multiplayer” and while you’re swimming around you just seamlessly bump in to other people and can hang out and play together, or not.

Back
Top Bottom