• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Endless Ocean Luminous — Pre-release Discussion Thread

That trailer was incredible! I was expecting some narration to cut in for the first minute or so haha. I love that they just showed the game and let us appreciate the marine life, exploration, and experience of it all. Can’t wait!

UHhhh… “overview” trailer???

US site has some more new details even compared to the JP site from yesterday:
  • Shared Expeditions: Share your Session ID to invite friends on a group swim (up to 30 total). If the session has fewer than 30 people, you may also be joined by up to 10 random divers from around the world (no Session ID required). You may end up with a mix of both friends and strangers on your dive for a total of up to 30 players on the map as you explore and make discoveries together.
  • Research Expeditions: Help save the World Coral in this single-player story mode.
  • Mystery Board: Uncover buried treasures, strange creatures, and more.
Pics for the latter two:

Switch_EOL_PMP-Assets_SCRN_03
Switch_EOL_PMP-Assets_SCRN_04

Customisation seems more limited than I assumed from the JP screen though; seems like it's just changing out the colours rather than unique parts. Biggest bummer so far (we'll have to see how that story mode turns out, but at least there's one confirmed now).

https://assets.nintendo.com/video/u...videos/Section_4_PMP-Assets_Customization.mp4
Oh...am I going to have to get this game?

I've never played an Endless Ocean game. How do you "discover" the animals and treasure? I'm not huge on photo mechanics, but I did ultimately enjoy New Pokemon Snap. If I can just look at the creature and not have to photograph anything unless I don't want to, that'd be best for me.

That trailer was incredible! I was expecting some narration to cut in for the first minute or so haha.

Honestly, I was waiting the entire time for the game's vocal track to hit. Now that we have story confirmed, that really does seem like the last piece of the puzzle.

any idea why arika is publishing this in japan instead of nintendo?
They’re not? Nintendo is listed as the publisher on both the Japanese website and eShop page. They do co-own the game with Nintendo, though.

They’re not? Nintendo is listed as the publisher on both the Japanese website and eShop page. They do co-own the game with Nintendo, though.
oh, i saw it on wikipedia. they're using this as a source
Although published by Nintendo in western territories, it will be published by developer Arika in Japan

Quoted by: Tye
any idea why arika is publishing this in japan instead of nintendo?

Nintendo is the publisher worldwide

Man I'm so happy that Arika is still alive and making games. They deserve the best.
They make puzzle games like Tetris, fighting games like Fighting Layer and diving games like this. What a fantastic developer.

Customisation seems more limited than I assumed from the JP screen though; seems like it's just changing out the colours rather than unique parts. Biggest bummer so far

Yep, I did right assuming they would modernize the game for the worst. Yet, ironically, it seems they are bringing back all the legendaries from Blue World. Some decisions beat me..

Also, I have a theory about the story mode that I'm not fully convinced on since this game is going through some strange directions, but still:

So, the main story apparently is about saving a "World Coral". I saw some people on Reddit mentioning this could be a reference to the Yggdrassil tree, which contained and held together 9 nordic worlds or something like that. So I was wondering.. what if the topography gets all weird and everchanging because the World Coral is not right? What if, once saved, the world gets cohesive again and we gain access to full, fixed maps? Again, I might be hyping myself up way too much..
------------
Something else I've noticed. In the US page of the game, there is a short clip where the player is scanning the Whale Shark, and when its text info pops up, you can see at the bottom of the screen "(A) Audio Playback". They are totally NOT implying all the freaking texts are going to be narrated, right? R-RIGHT?

Last edited:
oh, i saw it on wikipedia. they're using this as a source
What the hell, Nintendo World Report and Wikipedia?? This stuff is easy to check, why spread false information? I dunno where they would’ve got the idea that Arika is publishing it in Japan in the first place.

For any island-dwelling, fish and chips eating, brown beer drinking types, Endless Ocean Luminous is £32.99 at Smyths Toys. Almost low enough for me to jump in on the super chill cosy hype yacht.

I can’t stop thinking about this game. May 2nd can’t come soon enough!!

Also, I’m kinda surprised that I’ve seen a fair amount of discussion about this game online…and virtually all of it has been very positive! I’m honestly kinda shocked. I figured a game like this would be widely ignored or draw a lot of negative attention from people as is often the case with many other smaller Nintendo releases like this (Another Code: Recollection, Detective Pikachu Returns, Everybody 1-2-Switch!, Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain, etc.), but it’s been surprisingly not like that from what I’ve seen! Kinda wonder if maybe this game does have a chance of breaking out and becoming quite a bit more popular than the Endless Ocean games on Wii were, especially if the online play becomes a hit with people…

Also, I’m kinda surprised that I’ve seen a fair amount of discussion about this game online…and virtually all of it has been very positive! I’m honestly kinda shocked. I figured a game like this would be widely ignored or draw a lot of negative attention from people as is often the case with many other smaller Nintendo releases like this (Another Code: Recollection, Detective Pikachu Returns, Everybody 1-2-Switch!, Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain, etc.), but it’s been surprisingly not like that from what I’ve seen! Kinda wonder if maybe this game does have a chance of breaking out and becoming quite a bit more popular than the Endless Ocean games on Wii were, especially if the online play becomes a hit with people…

Dude same! I'm truly obsessed. And yeah, I keep reading tons of comments of people being like "I never played this series/knew this existed but I'm so in!".
Whether this is gonna be the best entry in the series remains to be seen (who knows if there are still unconfirmed features or this is it), but I'm gonna bet my ass Luminous will be the best selling one.

For any island-dwelling, fish and chips eating, brown beer drinking types, Endless Ocean Luminous is £32.99 at Smyths Toys. Almost low enough for me to jump in on the super chill cosy hype yacht.
Might go for this at that price. Will be able to fulfil the fantasy of exploring waters that haven't been made utterly toxic from years of sewage dumping!

Also can we please take a moment to appreciate this boxart:

Endless_Ocean_Luminous_pachage.jpg

With this, Another Code, and and TTYD, Nintendo is really hitting it out of the park with box-arts this year.

yep this looks good. I wanted to get the new 2k tennis game coming out but now Im not sure. If this gets good reviews, I think Ill go for this.

80+ MC

yep this looks good. I wanted to get the new 2k tennis game coming out but now Im not sure. If this gets good reviews, I think Ill go for this.

80+ MC
I personally think best we can hope for is high 70s, an 80+ would be like high 80s for any other kind of game imo

The visuals are good enough considering the company that makes it. What truly matters about these series are the atmosphere and exploration, which are 10/10, and the content. Luminous is already shaping up to be a very long game to complete, and this is considering that there's still a few features unconfirmed.

Yo, I'm so tired of seeing people online answering people who ask "what do you do in this game" just saying "It's like an oceanic pokemon snap, you take photos of fish". That's a huge understatement. If you never played the game then shut your mouth and if you did, you clearly didn't anyway. No wonder the series undersells.. Geez.

Yo, I'm so tired of seeing people online answering people who ask "what do you do in this game" just saying "It's like an oceanic pokemon snap, you take photos of fish". That's a huge understatement. If you never played the game then shut your mouth and if you did, you clearly didn't anyway. No wonder the series undersells.. Geez.
Any chance you'd be willing to offer a description that wouldn't be an understatement? Reading Wikipedia didn't give me a great idea (though the plot section for the second game was shockingly long). I read an IGN review of the first game, which made me think it's a game where you explore the ocean while completing low-intensity missions, some of which involve taking photos.

Any chance you'd be willing to offer a description that wouldn't be an understatement? Reading Wikipedia didn't give me a great idea (though the plot section for the second game was shockingly long). I read an IGN review of the first game, which made me think it's a game where you explore the ocean while completing low-intensity missions, some of which involve taking photos.

Well, I'll briefly go through the features for the second game (which had way more content than the first):

-Main story, which had two objectives: Discovering what is "the song of dragons" and knowing more about the fate of a family member of two members of the crew.
-Discovering all fauna and their info (340 or so).
-Finding all the treasures (200)
-Finding all astrology coins hidden in focus spots (100)
-Fully uncovering all the maps.
-Tons of sidequests and missions with several episodes/parts.
-Befriending one of every especies of dolphin in the game and train them at maximum (11 especies I believe)
-Organizing and taking care of a big Aquarium bulding.
-4 types of job sidequests: Dolphin shows, treasure hunting, guided tours, and pictures for dedicated magazines.
-An in-game achievement system with 155 of them.
-Getting all types of diving suit parts (helmet, bottle, etc).
-Taking care of a personal reef that you can customize with plants, sculptures and all that stuff, and where random fish end up in and you can take care of them to eventually send them to freedom.
-Buying all the island's decorative items, some of which are actually essential to trigger some legendary animals or events.
-3 attributes to fully maximize: Underwater air management or resistance, business reputation, and valuable treasure intuition.
-Buying and getting all equipment upgrades (more underwater pen capacity, more pulsar capacity, more oxygen capacity, etc).
-Tools at your disposal: The treasure sonar, the pulsar (healing and tranquilizing device), food to feed the fauna, an underwater pen, and the CAMERA.

And maybe I'm forgetting something. But, as you can see, the game, at least the second game, is not JUST about "taking pictures". Hope I helped.

Last edited:
Well, I'll briefly go through the features for the second game (which had way more content than the first):

-Main story, which had two objectives: Discovering what is "the song of dragons" and knowing more about the fate of a family member of two members of the crew.
-Discovering all fauna and their info (340 or so).
-Finding all the treasures (200)
-Finding all astrology coins hidden in focus spots (100)
-Fully uncovering all the maps.
-Tons of sidequests and missions with several episodes/parts.
-Befriending one of every especies of dolphin in the game and train them at maximum (11 especies I believe)
-Organizing and taking care of a big Aquarium bulding.
-4 types of job sidequests: Dolphin shows, treasure hunting, guided tours, and pictures for dedicated magazines.
-An in-game achievement system with 155 of them.
-Getting all types of diving suit parts (helmet, bottle, etc).
-Taking care of a personal reef that you can customize with plants, sculptures and all that stuff, and where random fish end up in and you can take care of them to eventually send them to freedom.
-Buying all the island's decorative items, some of which are actually essential to trigger some legendary animals or events.
-3 attributes to fully maximize: Underwater air management or resistance, business reputation, and valuable treasure intuition.
-Buying and getting all equipment upgrades (more underwater pen capacity, more pulsar capacity, more oxygen capacity, etc).
-Tools at your disposal: The treasure sonar, the pulsar (healing and tranquilizing device), food to feed the fauna, an underwater pen, and the CAMERA.

And maybe I'm forgetting something. But, as you can see, the game, at least the second game, is not JUST about "taking pictures". Hope I helped.
Wow, that's a lot. I didn't realize the game had stats. I hope the oxygen isn't something that becomes stressful, as I avoid survival games with hunger/thirst meters for that reason.

Thanks for the detailed description!

I hope the oxygen isn't something that becomes stressful

Nah, it simply served as a limit to the map exploration at the beginning. Once you obtained the max capacity upgrade and a high underwater resistance level, the problem was no more. However, it seems that for Luminous they got rid of oxygen limit, so there's that.

From what I've seen, the graphics aren't good enough for me to take the plunge. They simply look fake and there's something mechanical about the animations. I'd like to like it because I love the idea of zen underwater games, but at this stage it seems I'll have to wait until the next generation to be satisfied in the visual department.

Quoted by: Tye
From what I've seen, the graphics aren't good enough for me to take the plunge. They simply look fake and there's something mechanical about the animations. I'd like to like it because I love the idea of zen underwater games, but at this stage it seems I'll have to wait until the next generation to be satisfied in the visual department.
This was always going to be a lower budget game, and being on new hardware isn’t going to magically make the visuals and animations better—if anything, this being on Switch rather than the next system is probably overall a good thing for the game, because it’d likely end up looking worse if they made it for a higher spec system but with more or less the same budget. What you want is for the game to be higher budget, which unfortunately is very unlikely unless the series happens to suddenly become a lot more popular.

Regardless, the game looks totally fine to me as is. 🤷

Last edited:

Same here. Cannot wait for it.

I think the game has a solid shot of taking off with 30 player online. It could really take off with streamers.

It’s interesting that the game comes with a free 7-day trial of Nintendo Switch Online… Nintendo hasn’t done that with a new game release before, have they? Only thing somewhat like it that I recall was a Nintendo Switch Online bundle with Super Mario Maker 2.

The online play for this game must really be a big deal if they’re giving away NSO trials with every copy of the game… Maybe they’re pretty confident that people will love the online play and that that’s how the game is best experienced?

The animations do look a bit lifeless and generic in that trailer. I’m hoping the animals respond to stimuli in more unique ways.

It’s interesting that the game comes with a free 7-day trial of Nintendo Switch Online… Nintendo hasn’t done that with a new game release before, have they? Only thing somewhat like it that I recall was a Nintendo Switch Online bundle with Super Mario Maker 2.

The online play for this game must really be a big deal if they’re giving away NSO trials with every copy of the game… Maybe they’re pretty confident that people will love the online play and that that’s how the game is best experienced?

It is certainly interesting. One thing I appreciate about their implementation is the ability to a host a private group with friends that you can optionally fill with random people. There aren't enough online games that give you that kind of flexibility, so it's nice to see.

Yeah while I do wish it looked a bit better (the Wii games were stunning for the hardware IMO), as said it is a budget game and it's probably as good as we could hope if we want more budget games that still look good enough you know? Though I do think it looks better here than the debut trailer at least.

I am curious on the engine choice. Feels like it's Unity as I'd assume UE4 would have better shading and effects by default (the engine comes with cool stuff built-in, no?), but maybe Bezel is possible as all of their 99 games used it. Only Fighting EX Layer used UE4, including on Switch but definitely took a res hit in the transition IIRC.

Also, I'd love it if Capcom could be a pal and let Arika do a 2-pack of both Everblue games in Switch to take advantage of the new WAVE of interest.

And, I know, not happening, but Sony absolutely should let Artdink port Aquanauts Holiday: Hidden Memories on PS3 to Switch also:

It's funny that both it and the OG Endless Ocean were rivals at the time, though they never gave it a western release for some reason. Even Natsume had to step in and localize Afrika on PS3. Guess no-one BIT on Aquanauts Holiday.

Back
Top Bottom