• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Endless Ocean Luminous — Pre-release Discussion Thread

And, I know, not happening, but Sony absolutely should let Artdink port Aquanauts Holiday: Hidden Memories on PS3 to Switch also:

It's funny that both it and the OG Endless Ocean were rivals at the time, though they never gave it a western release for some reason. Even Natsume had to step in and localize Afrika on PS3. Guess no-one BIT on Aquanauts Holiday.

I've been wanting this game for ages, but the only English version is the Chinese physical release and that one is bloody expensive :(

fhrSnIs.gif

I'm knee-deep in games at the moment, but I'll be keeping an eye on this one for sure. Never played an EO game before! Seems really neat.

So it seems there will be a range of sizes for the animals in this game, but I've only seen screenshots or clips with fish with the "small" tag, and in the japanese site there is a picture of the encyclopedia info of an animal where the info shows 2 different sizes. I'm assuming small and standard, but I hope there's a "large" variant as well. It would be very epic to find a larger version of an already huge animal like a Basking Shark or a whale.

Also, on a different note, can't wait to learn what the soundtrack will be this time around.

Thanks for the heads up, in for Best Buy. Still, what a bother. Only reason I went with Amazon was that I had a gift card, but I guess full price is perfectly fine to pay for Endless Ocean.

This is mostly anecdotal thing, but there is a chance they are just adjusting or making a new page. Its rare, or at least its hasnt happen to me in a while, so the page maybe be back soon.

New trailer, 14 minutes and 45 seconds of zen

I got really excited for this but it turns out it’s just the same video that Nintendo of America shared the other day but edited to loop four times. ._. lol

I was a hater from the direct but this actually looks fun sadly

LOL, welcome to the fanbase, hopefully. And you've only seen a vibing in the ocean trailer, there's so many other features (some yet unconfirmed but here's hoping).

Genuine questions what the appeal / point of this.
It’s a relaxing game where you explore oceans and catalog hundreds of different fish/sea creatures, either by yourself or with up to 30 people. It’s not going to be for everyone but I’m stoked for it.

I got really excited for this but it turns out it’s just the same video that Nintendo of America shared the other day but edited to loop four times. ._. lol
This is going into my sleep playlist. Thanks Nintendo UK.

Today is Hayley Westenra's 37th birthday, by the way. In celebration of the new game, I wish to the responsible of one of the greatest videogame soundtracks a happy birthday!

Would love if Hayley came back for the new theme. The first impression of LET YOUR ARMS ENFOLD US, THROUGH THE DARK OF NIGHT is probably the biggest reason my memories of EO1 still sit stronger with me than EO2, even if EO2 is objectively the bigger, better game. Hopefully whatever the lyrical music is for Luminous hits as hard.

Endless Ocean 2 is a better game on every single front except for the soundtrack, not to throw shade at Celtic Woman, they're amazing, but if anything, I'd say that it was a step aside in terms of quality rather than forward or backwards. But yes, the first game came in, kicking the door wide open with that bloody amazing cover of 'Prayer' and left (imo) one of the best first impressions ever in a video game ever. Going from that little dolphin loading icon to the sailboat and the speakers blasting that song is without a doubt one of my favourite game memories ever.

Remember when Nintendo allowed MP3 importing in both Endless Ocean and Excite Truck, but removed it in the sequels? Wonder if record companies (or JASPAC) gave them hell for that.

Also how about a download of the original E3 2007 trailer from Nintendo's E3 press kit?

MP3s were a selling point on Xbox 360 back in the day..might be misremembering though since I never owned a 360

MP3s were a selling point on Xbox 360 back in the day..might be misremembering though since I never owned a 360

Yep it was awesome for me. Used to burn CDs with songs on them and rip them to the Xbox 360 HDD and play them in the background. Some games had custom soundtrack support like SSX 2012.

What a time...

Huh… I was hoping an overview trailer would give us more info, especially about the story mode…but there doesn’t seem to be much of anything that we didn’t already know except the event dives. Kinda getting the feeling that the story mode isn’t very substantial at all… I also assume there’ll be no vocal songs this time, either? Otherwise you’d think we’d have heard one by now…

Of course, I haven’t even played the original Endless Ocean games on Wii before, anyway, and I’m already extremely hyped for Luminous, so a lacking story mode and no vocal songs doesn’t matter much to me, but it does seem kinda odd.

Last edited:
Huh… I was hoping an overview trailer would give us more info, especially about the story mode…but there doesn’t seem to be much of anything that we didn’t already know except the event dives. Kinda getting the feeling that the story mode isn’t very substantial at all… I also assume they’ll be no vocal songs this time, either? Otherwise you’d think we’d have heard one by now…

Of course, I haven’t even played the original Endless Ocean games on Wii before, anyway, and I’m already extremely hyped for Luminous, so a lacking story mode and no vocal songs doesn’t matter much to me, but it does seem kinda odd.
Why are you assuming that the story mode is lacking?

Why are you assuming that the story mode is lacking?
Because they said basically nothing about it at all in the game’s overview trailer? That’s highly unusual, considering these videos are specifically supposed to give a good, well, overview of the game. Why wouldn’t they give details about the story mode if it was substantial?

Because they said basically nothing about it at all in the game’s overview trailer? That’s highly unusual, considering these videos are specifically supposed to give a good, well, overview of the game. Why wouldn’t they give details about the story mode if it was substantial?
Good point. I suppose they want to keep a good portion of the story under wraps until you we get our hands on it. They probably feel like thesynopsis that we've had since last month is probably all that we need to know as of right now. Time will tell, but I don't that this is a sign that the story mode is lacking.

Good point. I suppose they want to keep a good portion of the story under wraps until you we get our hands on it. They probably feel like thesynopsis that we've had since last month is probably all that we need to know as of right now. Time will tell, but I don't that this is a sign that the story mode is lacking.
Maybe, but I dunno, I get the feeling that the story mode is gonna be essentially the same thing as online mode, just with one player and set objectives. I’d love to be wrong, though!

It is kind of a concern, yeah. Like, the fact we can't even have our divers have a human face from what we've seen so far makes me wonder if there'll even be a human companion for the story mode or if we'll be left with just e-mail and shit. At least the core gameplay is there, but it's hard to be optimistic about single player stuff at the moment.

seems like the single player mode has indeed seen a significant reduction in scope

not surprised, only somewhat disappointed, and still in for day one

That trailer was extremely disappointing to me. Basically the only thing they did was repeating everything we already knew with the addition of spoiling even more especial creatures. I mean, who in their right minds would approve of the decision to straight up spoil the especial legendary creature from the online mode tasks? Also it seems people were right with their suspicions of there not being any main hub or npcs and just everything being a menu navigation. Hell, even the story mode seems to be completely separate from chill exploration. I knew I couldn't trust a modern take on this series.. sigh..

I'll still get the game because I will love the exploration and discovering every creature, but it's shaping up to be much worse than Blue World when it comes to content or passion.

Also, I'm assuming the emoji markers will be completely useless if you play solo? Unless the markers stay there for next time, which I doubt. The gestures are already pointless to me too, just a bunch of social bs.

Does anyone know if there will still be a strong storyline like we had in EO2?
No one knows, Nintendo hasn't said anything about any story mode yet. I don't mind a store lite game like the first one, but really do hope for a more meaty experience like the second.

If nothing else, maybe long term the Wii era's approach will repeat. More straight-forward, core experience the first time around with a more meaty follow-up.

If nothing else, maybe long term the Wii era's approach will repeat. More straight-forward, core experience the first time around with a more meaty follow-up.
If people don't purchase this video game en masse, thereby guaranteeing another sequel, I am going to feed them to an extinct fish.

Some thoughts:

1) I love how unintrusive and organic the multiplayer features are, only working if you actually meet the other divers. It's a great touch.

2) No story mode info, but seeing it as a separate category on the main menu gives me hope. At this point I thought it would just be a mission-based feature of the Solo-Play mode. Not expecting something too wild, but good enough.

3) Still no extras like the aquarium, etc.The creatures diving with you are cute though.

4) Event dives and missions are awesome ideas.

Day one.

Last edited:
4) Event dives and missions are awesome ideas.

Are missions multiplayer exclusive though? Or are they also part of the single player expeditions, because it wasn't all that clear in the trailer, since they talked about it right after the whole 30 players online and such..

Are missions multiplayer exclusive though? Or are they also part of the single player expeditions, because it wasn't all that clear in the trailer, since they talked about it right after the whole 30 players online and such..
I'm almost sure they're also in solo play.

Solo play seems to be exactly the same as multiplayer but by yourself. If no one joins your multiplayer session you'd still have missions too, for example.

It was just a multiplayer trailer because that's their big feature.

I'm still looking forward to it but as an overview trailer this was really quite useless lol

Obviously the online mode is the main hook here but I think there's still quite a few people that wanna see the story mode.

Back
Top Bottom