• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Endless Ocean Luminous — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: overview trailer, see threadmarks)

Right? Do I wish this was an absolute blowout graphical showcase on Switch 2? Yes. Yes, I do. But it looks very pleasant for what it is, and it's not like Arika is rolling in budget.
Sure, a next-gen fish-looker would be nice, but I’m going to judge games by what they are and not what they’re not. This is a chill ass look-at-fish game for the Switch 1. I am going to look at fish on my OLED Switch screen and stress will exit my body with haste.

It's a lot of unrealistic expectations put upon this game by people disappointed about the Switch 2 rumors and hoping the partner direct would make up for it.

Like, I'm disappointed in the rumors too, but I also just like looking at fish.
haters will hate. we will zone out and look at fish. we are simply built different

I wiggled in my chair a bit when I saw the anomalocaris. Looks great, don't know why anyone would expect anything more from an Endless Ocean sequel.

ehh to be fair, now that I'm loooking more, reactions seem to be mostly positive outside here as well.

It seems more about the Switch 2 delay than this game itself

seeing a lot of people upset when they definitely weren't gonna cop this shit anyway

30-player multi is crazy. I'm curious how that works. has to be server based because syncing the animals must be a bitch

Love me some Endless Ocean! I am absolutely ecstatic that we're getting what I consider to be a "moonshot" sequel. I really thought the EO IP might have been dead at this point so even when the rumors were swirling I couldn't allow myself to get hyped for it. What a pleasant surprise!

I really hope Hayley Westenra makes a return (though I'd be happy Celtic Woman as well ).

based based based based based based

cant believe its a new game!!

also when they said "these are our last announcements" and flashed the 'coming to nso' thing on screen i thought, legitimately, for a split second arika was making endless ocean 99 lmfao

based based based based based based

cant believe its a new game!!

also when they said "these are our last announcements" and flashed the 'coming to nso' thing on screen i thought, legitimately, for a split second arika was making endless ocean 99 lmfao
We've got Endless Ocean 30. I think we just need to get two more games to push it to 99!

I’m kinda sad that the first two games aren’t coming to Switch, but I’m very excited for this new game regardless!! Playing this together with my partner is gonna be fun! (Now if only we could convince some other friends to buy the game and play it with us, too…lol.)

Nintendo reviving weird old stuff is my favourite thing in the world. Them properly mining the Wii/DS era IPs of late has been such a joy, and I'm so excited to stack this alongside Another Code, Advance Wars, NTWEWY, WarioWare Move It and the like.

I've never played Endless Ocean but I can appreciate what the first two games were doing and recognize that they are beloved by many people.

People are always asking Nintendo to bring dead franchises, well this is what is looks like. It's been well over a decade since the last game. Just because it doesn't feature a character in Super Smash Bros., doesn't mean it doesn't deserve another game and we should be encouraging studios to headline their presentations with more diverse genres. We like that Nintendo puts prominence on 3D platformers and hardcore JRPGs and we should be happy they'll do the same for a fish game.

I just rewatched the trailer twice and didn't see a single instance of stuttering. I did see some low-frame rate animation, a couple times on fish close to the camera, which didn't look great. The models and texture work are pretty excellent - I am thinking about how gorgeous the fish in Animal Crossing look, or the fruit in Pikmin, even when low-res or low-poly.

If there is a hit against the look, it's the aliasing. Animal Crossing and Pikmin both have these stylized main characters with these sudden, lush, realistic objects embedded in them. Having the player character be in a realistic style means you see the low-res-but-realistic flippers in every shot.

There are moments where the baked lighting looks pretty good, and moments where it looks really flat. Like instead of a character floating in water they just look superimposed over the environment. Some of that might be technical limitation, but some of it might also be game-play choice, because it keeps the images really readable.

I've never played one of these games, and they held no appeal for me until I saw this trailer and I was like "ah, I get it." Was I thinking how much better it would look with just a few ray-traced effects and high quality anti-aliasing? Absolutely.

Did I think they should have waited? That's insane to me, it's not like the game would magically have gotten better if it was delayed to be a launch title. Presumably this game was in development for a couple of years now, you can't just rebuild it for Drake and call it a day. Neither Endless Ocean game broke a million copies, and Arika is a smallish dev, who rarely makes solo games, certainly not of this size. This moment, on this platform, is what makes financial sense for this game.

I get folks who think it doesn't look great, but those are likely people to whom this game doesn't appeal unless it's a technical showcase. The original games were very much in the Wii area of trying to get Wii Sports folks to play gamier games, and that core strategy has passed. But Nintendo certainly wants to appeal to a wide range of gamers, and if this game does anything resembling decent numbers (and Arika isn't busy making literally every fighting game), then I expect we'll see another one mid-Switch-2. Which will look great, but these same people will have gotten their tech showcases and have moved on.

Soooo happy for this me and my friend used to get high and just chill and zone out to the original. Even had a few jump scares when exploring the Abyss and a giant whale just shows up out of nowhere

It looks kinda interesting, I'm not sure I'm on board but I'm more interested with it being an all-new release than another remaster collection or whatever. Never played the originals but this certainly looks nicer than them. I'll watch the trailer a couple more times and keep an eye on it.

This looks chill AF. I’m in (and should probably play the Wii ones too).

Also I’m assuming if this does well remastering/re-releasing the Wii games would be an easy layup in the eShop.

Just because it doesn't feature a character in Super Smash Bros., doesn't mean it doesn't deserve another game and we should be encouraging studios to headline their presentations with more diverse genres.
But let's be perfectly clear here... Endless Ocean should feature a character in the next Smash Bros. now(and definitely a stage)

Wait, this isn't a Wii port/remaster?
It looked really... Dated? Or simple. Dunno.

Either way, it's not for me. I can't handle these types of games.

Sure, a next-gen fish-looker would be nice, but I’m going to judge games by what they are and not what they’re not. This is a chill ass look-at-fish game for the Switch 1. I am going to look at fish on my OLED Switch screen and stress will exit my body with haste.

haters will hate. we will zone out and look at fish. we are simply built different
4k60fps < anomalocaris

Wait, this isn't a Wii port/remaster?
It looked really... Dated? Or simple. Dunno.

Either way, it's not for me. I can't handle these types of games.
it's a small dev making a new game for an IP that won't sell a lot. I'm not sure what people expected

Just got a flurry of excitable messages off my best friend who just saw this had been announced. Turns out we've known each other ten years and I never knew she was a huge Endless Ocean-head. They live amongst us and yet we have no idea.

Gamers: Why doesn't Nintendo revive some of their forgotten IPs
Nintendo: Does that
Gamers: NOT THAT ONE

You know what, I always remembered Endless Ocean from the Wii by watching IGN's coverage and their review. I never thought about playing this back then but

Don't know anything about this series, but this looked pretty nice. So you swim around with a bunch of friends and randoms? Yeah, I can see the appeal.

This does seem chill. I think it looks nicer than I remember the previous Endless Ocean games looking. Even a bump to native res in handheld and docked is a plus overall.

Eh, it's fine. Last full year of the Switch and this console is still selling well. Even niche sequels like this can find success.

Never heard of the series before the rumors but this looks really nice and chill, definitely interested in picking it up.

As someone scared of the ocean as well, this game could potentially be my origin story.

oceanmeme.png

Rooting for Endless Ocean Luminous to be a 51 Worldwide Classics style breakout hit and somehow sell 5 million copies.

the sea, the water, the fish and the underwater environment around you, the freedom to swim and explore, and the vibes ….this is the game.

Was not at all expecting this to be a new game rather than a remake, but I’m here for it. Count me in with the people saying this looks good.

Love that Akira spent a few years honing their network programming chops through the 99 games and then made Endless Ocean 30.

Truly a blessed timeline.

Love that Akira spent a few years honing their network programming chops through the 99 games and then made Endless Ocean 30.

Truly a blessed timeline.

Nintendo's Network team under Nintendo EPD did most of the network programming on Tetris 99 (and the other 99 games actually). I wouldn't be surprised if this holds true for this game as well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom