• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Elden Ring |ST| Go Outside and Touch Grace

Do you like saying the word "accord" in a posh British accent (like Melina does)?

• Total voters
I still need to go beat Malenia. I did like 90% of the Haligtree.

I did beat Mogh at least. Beating him with no Mimic/summons felt so good.

For being able to do the DLC, you don't need to beat Malenia actually.

You only need to beat Radahn and Mohg.

1718719644098.jpeg

1718722750099.png

Last edited:
According to reviews Miyazaki once again undersold the amount of content/size of the DLC in interviews. Shocker.

Just started the DLC. Really excited for this, had to contemplate for a which of my characters I was gonna play through it with first but I landed on my strength one.
Have fun and best of luck, Tarnished! I hail all those returning to the game once more, and envy you from afar hahaha.

(I’m still catching up to Armored Core VI right now, it fucking ROCKS.)

Just started the DLC. Really excited for this, had to contemplate for a which of my characters I was gonna play through it with first but I landed on my strength one.
I’m not quite to Mohg yet on a new character (level 86). Hoping to get there by maybe tomorrow or so!

DLC runs smoothly on Steam Deck

just ensure to play in a cold room so the device doesn't overheat. That was the only time i had severe slowdowns

So i took a nap yesterday evening because i at least wanted to spend some half hour in the DLC at midnight, which is when it should've been unlocked.

Then, midnight, starting up the PS5, and of course, big downloads. Not only those ~16GB for the DLC, there was also a 15GB patch for the main game.
Okay, let stuff download, watching some YT videos in the meantime.

After finally done, starting up the game, hopping to the spot where you enter / start the DLC ... and nothing.

Not interaction with the cocoon possible, that new NPC in front of it nowhere to be seen.

Okay, warp out and back again to reload, nothing changed.
Suicided off the cliff (i could get my runes back without problem), nothing changed.
Fully closed he game and started it up again, nothing changed.

In the end, i deleted the DLC off the PS5 and re-downloaded it over the night. And i fucking hope it's working when i try again this evening.

This annoys me to no end, could FROM at least make sure that the fucking triggers for the changes to start the DLC work? I paid money for this, so this is not on the level of another in-game trigger for an event/scene not working properly.
And the time wasted for basically nothing makes me legit angry, because i already have little time to play games.

And before you ask, yes, the character i'm using is basically main game done, just didn't jump to NG+. So of course i've beaten Radahn and Mogh.

Looking over the new equipment and spells at Fextralife ... and fucking hell ... Int / Sorceries do feel like they got the short stick again.

So many weapons with Faith scaling, at least some of the Int ones look good. Though some of the Int ones must be bugs / wrongly setup, because they're so goddamn bad they would even suck for the main game, let alone a more difficult DLC.

It shouldn't be too hard to have both, Int and Faith based spellcasting and equipment, balanced out. I don't understand this bias to one over the other...

I want to play it immediately, but for some reason my steam games keep crashing on my new PC. Any advice? I already checked that the drivers are updated.

I want to play it immediately, but for some reason my steam games keep crashing on my new PC. Any advice? I already checked that the drivers are updated.

Thats a bit too little info for what could possibly have n-th amount of reasons over a few layers.

Steam has an active community, and the users there might prolly be more versed in dealing with such problems. Have you tried asking there?

Thats a bit too little info for what could possibly have n-th amount of reasons over a few layers.

Steam has an active community, and the users there might prolly be more versed in dealing with such problems. Have you tried asking there?
I'll try asking there as well, because it genuinly sucks

As for more details, I tried with 2 games, Elden Ring and Hi-Fi Rush. HFR at best is able to play one second of music before crashing. Er is more random. Sometimes it crashes as soon as the logo appears, sometimes I'm able to play it for a minute before everything stops (music still plays). In both cases I have to turn of my PC for anything to happen.

Just in case, my PC Specs
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-Core Processor
Sapphire Pulse RX 7900GRE 16GB
MSI B650M-A Wi-Fi
WD Blue SSD SN580 1TB
Corsair vengeance DDR5 32GB RAM
Corsair RM850e Power Supply
Cougar forza 85 Air Cooler

Played a around 3 hours of the DLC and it seems pretty damn sweet so far. Also I'm playing on Mac via Crossover which keeps feeling like sorcery to me

PSA for anyone unable to start the DLC on PS5 despite everything downloaded and all in-game requirements met:

Restart your console.

No, i'm not trying to prank you with the IT Crowd. That's what a lot of people with this problems did and it fixed the issue.

Honestly, i'm done for this day as a whole, now that either FROM, Sony or both created a real-life scenario where this "turn if off and on again" running-gag turned into an actual solution.

Not even The Onion could make this shit up.

I'll try asking there as well, because it genuinly sucks

As for more details, I tried with 2 games, Elden Ring and Hi-Fi Rush. HFR at best is able to play one second of music before crashing. Er is more random. Sometimes it crashes as soon as the logo appears, sometimes I'm able to play it for a minute before everything stops (music still plays). In both cases I have to turn of my PC for anything to happen.

Just in case, my PC Specs
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-Core Processor
Sapphire Pulse RX 7900GRE 16GB
MSI B650M-A Wi-Fi
WD Blue SSD SN580 1TB
Corsair vengeance DDR5 32GB RAM
Corsair RM850e Power Supply
Cougar forza 85 Air Cooler

Look, disclaimer, i'm absolutely not a PC gamer, my Laptop at home has problems to run Starcraft 2 for example, but this feels like a graphics card related problem to me.

Maybe try to reinstall drivers or switch to older ones or beta ones?

PSA for anyone unable to start the DLC on PS5 despite everything downloaded and all in-game requirements met:

Restart your console.

No, i'm not trying to prank you with the IT Crowd. That's what a lot of people with this problems did and it fixed the issue.

Honestly, i'm done for this day as a whole, now that either FROM, Sony or both created a real-life scenario where this "turn if off and on again" running-gag turned into an actual solution.

Not even The Onion could make this shit up.

Look, disclaimer, i'm absolutely not a PC gamer, my Laptop at home has problems to run Starcraft 2 for example, but this feels like a graphics card related problem to me.

Maybe try to reinstall drivers or switch to older ones or beta ones?
Don't think it's a drivers problem since it's almost exclusively a steam games problem. But we'll see.

After three hours, finally finished beating the dancing lion, shit was rough but extremely fun. Overall it’s been an extremely solid DLC.

Lastly, I want to thank my beloved river of blood.

Edit: I’m curious, is anyone having and performance issue, since the lion boss was dropping my fps quite nastily when the boss was using lighting, my platform is the PS5, maybe it’s a PS5 issue?

After three hours, finally finished beating the dancing lion, shit was rough but extremely fun. Overall it’s been an extremely solid DLC.

Lastly, I want to thank my beloved river of blood.

Edit: I’m curious, is anyone having and performance issue, since the lion boss was dropping my fps quite nastily when the boss was using lighting, my platform is the PS5, maybe it’s a PS5 issue?
It's not optimized that well, some bosses have some rough frame drops.

Last edited:
I’m still not in the DLC but I made it to Leyndell and the Darkmoon Greatsword is a blast. Level 101 so I should be able to get to Mohg before too terribly long

I'm irritated by how they handled balance with this DLC. If these bosses were in the base game, this wouldn't be half as hard. But needing to collect the scadutree whatevers to increase my attack and defense so I'm dealing decent damage and not dying in one hit? The difficulty feels completely artificial.

The Scadutree gimmick is really terrible, the bosses are basically all of From Soft's worst impulses with horrible camera, wonky hitboxes, giant lightning spam and neverending combos, and they have somehow managed to make it run worse than it did before. It was bad enough when they patched in ray tracing with no upscaling to help performance. They've even managed to break Steam Deck compatibility and Steam reviews for the dlc are down to Mixed. Being rated the "best dlc of all time" feels completely bonkers to me.

Has anyone already said "better than the base game"?

The non-main dungeons in particular are on another level.
All of the side dungeons/content I've done so far feels much more fleshed out than the base game ones, which makes sense since there's less of them overall.

This DLC is incredible so far - I can't believe how expansive it is and how good of a job From did with it. It has a high bar to reach to beat out Old Hunters as best DLC for me, but it very well could make it there by the end. I haven't been this lost in a new setting since... well, probably the original ER :p

Whew. That first main boss was rough and took me more tries than anything other than probably Malenia - but it was extremely satisfying to slowly get better at and take down solo. And the legacy dungeon it was in was great.

Game finally let me play the DLC starting friday evening, doing IT Crowd "off and on again" actually worked.

Didn't do any dungeon or story part yet, just roaming around the DLC map, activating Graces and looking for side-dungeons ... and i gotta ask...

How fucking big is that DLC even? I think i've put up to 4 hours in over the weekend (which is much for me) and there's still one part of the map that i didn't explore, don't know how to reach and haven't gotten the map part for.
(Obviously there's more areas that seem to be locked until a certain plot progression looking how they're "blocked" by a certain big, black stoned castle, but at least i can see them on the map due to that part being unveiled.)

Some stuff is although tricky to reach. That spiky looking mountain for example. First, i was unsure if you can actually go there, but knowing FROM i quickly understood you can. Also, there's like 2 NPC that basically point to that mountain, shouting "THERE, ONE BIG EVIL MOTHERF*CKER IS THERE!" ... okay, i got the hint.
Funny though, you gotta go through a little sub-dungeon to reach it, and the name couldn't be more obvious for the players to understand, you wanna go to the spiky mountain, you gotta go through this cave!

Thankfully due to the exploration, i already got the Scadutree Blessing up to ... 6 i think. And it's definitely needed, as the damage output and HP pool that even some low standard mobs have is beyond stupid.

Unless you're a really good Soulsborne player, don't even attempt this DLC sub-level 150.

Wanna shout up to my MVP ash so far who is being reliable again after some of those other Blessings, Black Knife Tiche. HP debuff, DoT attack, quick, relentless attacks and stury enough.
Draws aggro enough from bosses that i can even calmly nuke them with Comet Azur.

Who the hell as parents names their two children Rennala and Rellana? That’s just asking for trouble.

Some parents are like this with twins. In my son's class, there's identical twin girls called Kaya and Maya.

Game finally let me play the DLC starting friday evening, doing IT Crowd "off and on again" actually worked.

Didn't do any dungeon or story part yet, just roaming around the DLC map, activating Graces and looking for side-dungeons ... and i gotta ask...

How fucking big is that DLC even? I think i've put up to 4 hours in over the weekend (which is much for me) and there's still one part of the map that i didn't explore, don't know how to reach and haven't gotten the map part for.
(Obviously there's more areas that seem to be locked until a certain plot progression looking how they're "blocked" by a certain big, black stoned castle, but at least i can see them on the map due to that part being unveiled.)

Some stuff is although tricky to reach. That spiky looking mountain for example. First, i was unsure if you can actually go there, but knowing FROM i quickly understood you can. Also, there's like 2 NPC that basically point to that mountain, shouting "THERE, ONE BIG EVIL MOTHERF*CKER IS THERE!" ... okay, i got the hint.
Funny though, you gotta go through a little sub-dungeon to reach it, and the name couldn't be more obvious for the players to understand, you wanna go to the spiky mountain, you gotta go through this cave!

Thankfully due to the exploration, i already got the Scadutree Blessing up to ... 6 i think. And it's definitely needed, as the damage output and HP pool that even some low standard mobs have is beyond stupid.

Unless you're a really good Soulsborne player, don't even attempt this DLC sub-level 150.

Wanna shout up to my MVP ash so far who is being reliable again after some of those other Blessings, Black Knife Tiche. HP debuff, DoT attack, quick, relentless attacks and stury enough.
Draws aggro enough from bosses that i can even calmly nuke them with Comet Azur.

Some parents are like this with twins. In my son's class, there's identical twin girls called Kaya and Maya.
This map is massive, and has so many little areas and secrets that aren’t even apparent just from looking at the map. It’s layered so well. I’ve spent probably 10-15 hours already and I feel like I’m not even halfway done

Finished up the DLC and all remembrance bosses. 10/10, and devastated there is no more content to feverishly consume.

A build tip for anyone struggling with any bosses (especially the final one):
Heavy Greatshield + Blood Lance w/ stamina focus are the GOAT. Just block and poke.

Finished up the DLC and all remembrance bosses. 10/10, and devastated there is no more content to feverishly consume.

Heavy Greatshield + Blood Lance w/ stamina focus are the GOAT. Just block and poke.
Nicely done! You’re way ahead of me! I think I hit around 20 hours played now and I still only have two bosses beaten. I haven’t even encountered any more yet (although I’m like 99% sure I know where the next big guy is at)

Alright, i got some weapons chosen that i will look for and build up, to be safe in spoilers:

• Carian Thrusting Shield - This one looks like a "must" for any INT character, plus it's right now pretty strong and i wanna enjoy it before it will be nerfed
  • Smithscript Axe - With Frost AoW for magic + dex scaling, and it's heavy attack is a throw, which is always nice, Kratos in Elden Ring
  • Smithscript Dagger - The only throwing dagger weapon, since it's a Smithscript weapon, the same as with the axe applies
  • Milady - Either with Magic, or another elemental AoW that scales with Dex (Lightning for example)
  • Smithscript Cirque - One of the few backhand blades, same explanation as with the other Smithscript weapons
  • Star-Lined Sword - Seems to be a sidegrade to my maxed out Moonveil, but pretty strong too

Also wanted to make the Carian Sorcery Sword as it can also act as a Glintstone Staff, but it appears it's scaling it broken/bugged right now. And that Velvet Sword of St. Trina, but after checking it out, it doesn't offer any advantage over the main-game St. Trina sword.

Generally, you should definitely look for those Smithscript weapons, there's also a Greathammer and a spear. They have low requirements but scale massively, especially if you're faith or int hybrid with dex or strength and thus benefit from double scaling after infusing them with an elemental AoW.

Lets be real here, FROM better accepts they did some doozy with the balancing here and has some patches ready.

In such a game, especially one with limited ways to respec your char, it's a no-go that only a few certain builds are viable, or that you basically "need" to use certain equipment.

It should be possible (not easy, but possible) that i can nuke whatever boss with my magic, just as it should be possible for players who like to have their char run around in underwear, only carrying a huge ass hammer, to clobber whatever boss.

I had that talk with Steve in the General Nintendo thread, but i would appreciate if FROM would keep Sekiro-style bosses in Sekiro-style games and goes back to making actual Souls bosses for games that definitely are not Sekiro, but Souls.

I've finally decided to play this game after talking myself out of it. Can't say I'm a souls fan. Don't necessarily care for Souls combat.

I clocked about an hour into it and whilst I find the controls to be a little middling the world itself has me interested to keep going. I did read a couple reddit threads for beginners and based on what I read my playstyle when it comes to open world games may benefit me. I like to enjoy the world, pick up whatever I can off the floor and just take whatever the world can give me. I don't rush through them.

Also, that tree sure is beautiful lol.

can't wait to see the DLC...

someday...

after I beat Mohg...

I really thought getting to Mohg in the first place was going to be hard (I had never done Varre's quest all the way)

so I really anticipated some convoluted dungeon shenanigans to wind up there after fighting his sewer projection...

but. lmao. not quite!

I was absolutely the manic v1.0 hoarfrost stomp user cheesing around

I'm still pretty cheesy (glintstone pebble ash) but a Mimic Tear and I can get the ol' bastard down to about a quarter before I beef it

I was absolutely the manic v1.0 hoarfrost stomp user cheesing around

I'm still pretty cheesy (glintstone pebble ash) but a Mimic Tear and I can get the ol' bastard down to about a quarter before I beef it

Well you better have that one specific Crystal Tear, or Mohg will show you that he is just as disappointed and angry over his actual "palace" and proceeds to let his frustration out on the player. ;D

Finally fixed my PC issues, so I can now play the dlc.
Spent most of the time fighting the Dancing Lion Boss. Managed to get to 1/3 of the health but then I die. Getting the hang of it, so I should be able to beat it soon. But my god the bosses do so much damage
I should also go find more Sacred tears, my flask is +8 and is not enough

Well you better have that one specific Crystal Tear, or Mohg will show you that he is just as disappointed and angry over his actual "palace" and proceeds to let his frustration out on the player. ;D
ehh?? what does that mean?? oh god, how fucked am I?

Alright, i got some weapons chosen that i will look for and build up, to be safe in spoilers:

• Carian Thrusting Shield - This one looks like a "must" for any INT character, plus it's right now pretty strong and i wanna enjoy it before it will be nerfed
  • Smithscript Axe - With Frost AoW for magic + dex scaling, and it's heavy attack is a throw, which is always nice, Kratos in Elden Ring
  • Smithscript Dagger - The only throwing dagger weapon, since it's a Smithscript weapon, the same as with the axe applies
  • Milady - Either with Magic, or another elemental AoW that scales with Dex (Lightning for example)
  • Smithscript Cirque - One of the few backhand blades, same explanation as with the other Smithscript weapons
  • Star-Lined Sword - Seems to be a sidegrade to my maxed out Moonveil, but pretty strong too

Also wanted to make the Carian Sorcery Sword as it can also act as a Glintstone Staff, but it appears it's scaling it broken/bugged right now. And that Velvet Sword of St. Trina, but after checking it out, it doesn't offer any advantage over the main-game St. Trina sword.

Generally, you should definitely look for those Smithscript weapons, there's also a Greathammer and a spear. They have low requirements but scale massively, especially if you're faith or int hybrid with dex or strength and thus benefit from double scaling after infusing them with an elemental AoW.

Lets be real here, FROM better accepts they did some doozy with the balancing here and has some patches ready.

In such a game, especially one with limited ways to respec your char, it's a no-go that only a few certain builds are viable, or that you basically "need" to use certain equipment.

It should be possible (not easy, but possible) that i can nuke whatever boss with my magic, just as it should be possible for players who like to have their char run around in underwear, only carrying a huge ass hammer, to clobber whatever boss.

I had that talk with Steve in the General Nintendo thread, but i would appreciate if FROM would keep Sekiro-style bosses in Sekiro-style games and goes back to making actual Souls bosses for games that definitely are not Sekiro, but Souls.
I’ve been playing around with Rellana’s Twinblades and they’re a lot of fun - same attack pattern as Milady but does a lot of elemental damage. Only problem I’m having is that I’m used to using big beefy swords like Radahn’s or Darkmoon, so I’m used to relying a lot on stagger damage and poise breaking which is not as easy with lighter weapons.

So, this DLC is overall more Elden Ring and I’m loving it.

The highlight is absolutely the world design. A bunch of areas are oddly empty (which is weird considering it’s overall more dense than the base game), but the interconnectedness of the whole map and the way it uses elevation is just incredible and fun to figure out and explore. Definitely a better blend of making the whole world feel like it has the design quality of the legacy dungeons than the base game. Especially the northwestern area.

The difficulty has been causing quite the conversation, and I find myself thinking that this should’ve been a standalone thing like the Xenoblade DLCs. I’ve solo’d three of the bosses and they’re extremely fun to learn, but I have to admit it’s exhausting at this point and I think I’m tapping out of solo’ing after taking 6 hours to beat box art boy. Part of it, of course, From’s boss design getting more and more crazy while the player character’s movement doesn’t’ change much, part of it is the game clearly being designed for spirit ashes, but I think a big part of it is that - ER is just such a massive and varied game with so many variables that balancing this for the endgame is just hell, and the scadutree level are bandaids on a bullet hole. I think making it a wholly separate thing would’ve made it easier to balance it. The DLC’s size certainly would’ve justified being it’s own standalone experience not tied to base game progression at all.

So yeah, overall it’s been an incredible experience but I do see validity to the discussions of From’s boss design and difficulty that are happening right now.

So, this DLC is overall more Elden Ring and I’m loving it.

The highlight is absolutely the world design. A bunch of areas are oddly empty (which is weird considering it’s overall more dense than the base game), but the interconnectedness of the whole map and the way it uses elevation is just incredible and fun to figure out and explore. Definitely a better blend of making the whole world feel like it has the design quality of the legacy dungeons than the base game. Especially the northwestern area.

The difficulty has been causing quite the conversation, and I find myself thinking that this should’ve been a standalone thing like the Xenoblade DLCs. I’ve solo’d three of the bosses and they’re extremely fun to learn, but I have to admit it’s exhausting at this point and I think I’m tapping out of solo’ing after taking 6 hours to beat box art boy. Part of it, of course, From’s boss design getting more and more crazy while the player character’s movement doesn’t’ change much, part of it is the game clearly being designed for spirit ashes, but I think a big part of it is that - ER is just such a massive and varied game with so many variables that balancing this for the endgame is just hell, and the scadutree level are bandaids on a bullet hole. I think making it a wholly separate thing would’ve made it easier to balance it. The DLC’s size certainly would’ve justified being it’s own standalone experience not tied to base game progression at all.

So yeah, overall it’s been an incredible experience but I do see validity to the discussions of From’s boss design and difficulty that are happening right now.
I’m curious to see how the bosses are later into it. I’ve somehow only done three ‘rememberance’ bosses despite having explored quite a lot, and the first two bosses were quite a bit harder than the third. But that could also be that I’ve powered up more since those, as well.

But definitely the level design is the king. This might be my favorite world design since… I don’t even know, maybe BOTW?

Used the session yesterday to aquire some of my planned weapons, namely the Carian Thrusting Shield and the Smithscript Axe (plus the other Smithscript weapons from that mini-dungeon, and one hell of a broken Spirit Ash).

Build them a bit, ran out of Smithing Stones and of course the ones i need don't have an unlock item for the merchant in the Roundtable Hold...
At this point, i have more "final upgrade" stones (for +25 or +10) than the lower ones, the heck?

And while trying to get those weapons, especially the first one named in the spoiler, and while testing them ... "semi-build" afterwards, highlighted again that the problem with this DLC isn't really the amount of damage even the most common standard mobs do, it's that FROM seemingly said "fuck it" to any opening window for either attacking or healing.

You're being relentlessly attacked, often even with "i can turn 360° while in attack animation" moves, and while this was already present for every game post-Sekiro, for the DLC they simply went with "lets just make this the standard". It feels like a cheap way to create difficulty, and it's an unfun difficulty compared to hard but fair bosses who do give you the chance to breathe for a second.

It feels like FROM saw people talking a lot about Dark Souls 2's Pursuer, who was infamous for being relentlessly attacking you, hitting hard and being nothing but a pain in the arse, and thought "Wow people sure love to talk about that one, we gotta make more of those!".

An example in spoilers:

Those Fireknights / Firemages in the Shadow Keep, when you're doing the "fastest way" to get that specific weapon in that dungeon, you're bound to run into at least 3 of them.
If at range, they throw homing fireballs at you, always two after another, but by the time you either blocked or dodged them (which can be tricky to begin with), they're already starting to throw another pair. And they have literally no casting time.
Getting close to them means that the very millisecond after finishing casting, they already start to hit you fast and without pause. On top, they also have a close range fire AoE spell, with also little to no casting time.
You also can't run away that good, especially when close, because they're also fast, and due to having insanely long arms have a melee range that's bordering mid-range ranged combat.

And this is a normal enemy in this dungeon, not a low "trash mob", but no special occasion mob either. They respawn. And sometimes they're not even alone, but in a full group to make it extra arse-painful.

This is simply not fun. Giving them a slight delay in their casting, or not making them immediately go John Wick at melee range at you would solved this problem instantly. You would have some room to breathe, making this fight way more fair.

I know, the game wants me to use Spirit Ashes and have a good Ashes of War setup on my weapons, but we're at a point where you would need those Spirit Ashes for the whole dungeon and not just for boss or other special areas where they are "unlocked" for summoning.

And depending on the type of enemy, not even good Ashes of War skills could help you, because especially those "PVP" type enemies simply perfect-dodge nearly everything and then proceed to OHKO-counter you like a professional Street Fighter player would do in a Street Figher online match.

So, rant over.

The good news is, all three weapons i've semi-built are already useful despite not being maxed out, they're fun, bring new combat experience and two of them can be customized at lot and feel like they can work with a lot of setups. The DLC hit a standard for this with those example that i hope FROM can keep for future games.

ehh?? what does that mean?? oh god, how fucked am I?

All i say is that since you're now fighting the "real deal Mohg" instead of an illusion, he brings some new toys to fuck you up with.
One is a nasty debuff and you can only get rid of it with a special Crystal Tear potion.

Doesn't mean you can't beat him without, it just makes an already really hard battle even harder if you're not removing the debuff.

Back
Top Bottom