• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Elden Ring Hype Thread [Release date February 25th, 2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that I really give a damn about review (aggregate) scores, but it is sitting at 97 on OC with 80 reviews. Damn.

Game Informer said:
The open world is majestic, dripping with flavor and atmosphere, and full of fabulous finds. However, the legacy dungeons are the stuff of legend, often connecting to the outside from multiple points. These curated sprawls are a dream to dissect, and Elden Ring often offers different ways to maneuver through these areas. For instance, in one of these giant dungeons, I discovered a completely different way to “solve” the route to the final boss – and then went back and found a divergent path through another environment, leading to a wealth of battles, bosses, and loot. Sometimes, access to certain areas is in the last place you look, but the route to unearth it is laden with even more attractive paths to pursue.

Oh my god

Oh my god

Interesting. Let's see how it does. While BOTW was really good at my awaking my curiosity usually the rewards for doing so were not so good.
I think BOTW is as good as it gets, but yes, after the 300th hour of three playthroughs I always wished the rewards were more involved and unique.

Not that I really give a damn about review (aggregate) scores, but it is sitting at 97 on OC with 80 reviews. Damn.
I think reviews are straight bunk (looking at high profile offenders like GTA 4 and CP2077) and I ignore their prattle as a rule but it is interesting to see. We'll gauge its true worth once its in our hands, and I'm excited.

Edit: also,

b8a0ba1acbc77863e6cb24ac5a269463006dc7c6r1-435-250_hq.gif

Downloading now on my Series X. More glad than ever that I’m taking four days off starting Friday.

Wow, congrats to the development team! Sounds like essentially the perfect game for people who like the Souls formula.

Rock Paper Shotgun:

"That's the thing about Elden Ring, its open world has your back, in its own - often painful - way. Souls has always been about inching through claustrophobic corridors and bashing your skull against whatever's in the way. You compare foreheads with friends, "Look at this bruise Barry, that's me five hours in". And Barry would probably peel his hair back and reveal the exact same bruise. Adventures in past Souls games tend to line up, as you're all wandering down the same pathways. But that's not the case with Elden Ring. You might show your bruise to Barry and he'll peel his hair back to reveal a scar or a massive indent or a tattoo of a mouse tustling with a skeleton. Both of may be five hours in but you'll be on totally different trajectories. No matter how hostile the game's world may be, it pushes you to succeed and carve out your own adventures. It is, by far, the most encouraging Souls yet."

Interesting. Let's see how it does. While BOTW was really good at arousing my curiosity usually the rewards for doing so were not so good.
In defense of BOTW. It’s a pioneer so it as good as it get.
Real shit is what come after which ER seemingly be a successful attempt to improve the formula further.

This means a lot to me as finally an open world I can enjoy after BOTW

I have never touched a FromSoft game in my life besides trying Bloodborne for like 15 minutes

But I guess I'll be starting with this one. Maybe once my Steam Deck comes in

Is getting a Series S worth it just for Elden Ring? I want to play this game badly, and my PS4/Xbox one are both louder than a lawnmower at this point. I am just a bit worried about not getting the full next gen experience.

Hmm looking at the PS4 comparison, the difference between that and PS5 outside of load times seems to be minimal. I may just get it on PS4 since I won’t buy a console for just 1-2 games.

Damn. I know what I'm playing first when I get one of the new consoles.

Been kind of burned out on From Soft games for a while, though, and what I saw during the marketing cycle didn't grab me much, so no rush. I still haven't even touched DS3 or Sekiro yet.

And now I wait to see when I get my Steam Deck (and if it can even handle this game)

I have never touched a FromSoft game in my life besides trying Bloodborne for like 15 minutes

I want to do the exact same thing but I have doubts if Steam Deck will be able to run this. It's more like a portable PS4.

If it doesn't I'll wait for the eventual Switch 2 downport.

They got me, I preordered the PS5 version. I won’t get to it until I finish Arceus, but dammit they got me. I’ve never played a From game before and I’m scared, but also excited.

I want to do the exact same thing but I have doubts if Steam Deck will be able to run this. It's more like a portable PS4.

If it doesn't I'll wait for the eventual Switch 2 downport.
Yeah, I'm waiting on someone to check and see if and how well this will work on the Deck. Probably won't take too long.

If it can't, then I can break down and grab it on PS5 right away instead of having to wait for my Deck to get here

Seems like botw 2 is gonna have to step things up if it wants to be goty this year.

Will say though, for what ever reason I can't bring myself to be too excited by this. I'll play it eventually but I don't think I'm gonna rush into it. I say that now of course but I wouldn't be surprised if I end up with it at launch haha.

Just finished watching the ACG review. I trust this guy the most when it comes to reviews and you can check his video here:

Bottom line is that you should buy it. Some notes that interested me:

• Open world is massive, even on horseback. Lots of crevices to plumb and secrets to discover
  • Souls plus open world equals greatness. You feel less forced to defeat certain enemies and can instead explore the map, use stealth, gather items, etc.
  • It can get difficult to figure out how to advance the main quest— Karak found himself teleporting to quick travel points trying to figure which schmoe he had to talk to
  • Horseback movement feels really good and opens up a lot of combat options
  • Great draw distance; amazing wildlife and enemy animations
  • Loved the enemies I saw! Giant crabs, four-armed marionette weirdoes, giant falcons with blades for legs, hulking knights with ginormous battleaxes…
  • Battling still that classic Souls feel with emphasis on knowing the timing to strike, block and dodge
  • Lots of weapons and builds to play around with. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem playing as a pure mage is advisable, so I guess I’ll have to settle for a mixed Dex/Int build
  • Karak notes FPS loss and stuttering with prolonged play (~5 hours). Also noticed significant pop-in while riding the horse. All in all though not enough to dampen his enjoyment
  • Inventory screens are unintuitive

Oh and apparently the game struggles to hit 60FPS on performance mode on both PS5 and XSX. Which probably means my laptop will die trying to run it haha.

Wow, all of the performance profiles on consoles are pretty bad in my eyes. PS5 performance probably still the most enjoyable, with (ironically) PS4 base in second place, given their respective fps numbers.
I have a feeling this will be straightened out, at least on the XSX side, on launch; the network test ran considerably better there

In defense of BOTW. It’s a pioneer so it as good as it get.
Real shit is what come after which ER seemingly be a successful attempt to improve the formula further.

This means a lot to me as finally an open world I can enjoy after BOTW
Don't know if I'd call BOTW a pioneer within this context. I would call it a pioneer because of the combination of emergent gameplay, using it's physics/chemistry system, within an open world game. But when the subject is freedom of exploration, where it seems to have influence on Elden's Ring, it also drinks a lot on other games fountains, like Elder's Scroll for example or even the og Zelda(though it's more restricted). When it was released it's was indeed a breath(no pun intented) of fresh air after so much mediocre(imo) open world games.

Quoted by: SNP
I very cautiously hyped for this game. Dark Souls style games are just not for me and I find those games to be overrated tbh. I wonder if I will actually be able to enjoy this game and if beating the bosses will actually feel good.

I didn't think I'd be interested in this as I haven't clicked with Souls games in the past, but the talk of exploration and the open world has really pulled me in. Tempting for sure.

I very cautiously hyped for this game. Dark Souls style games are just not for me and I find those games to be overrated tbh. I wonder if I will actually be able to enjoy this game and if beating the bosses will actually feel good.
I only finished DS3 but promissed myself I would't play another one again as it's too stressful for me. Though Elden's Ring hype came and here I am. One interesting point of some review was someone saying that if a boss is too difficult you turn back and go to explore another place.

Considering how much I love the Dark Souls trilogy, I guess this is one of those times that occur at least once a generation when I wish:
  • I had a more powerful PC.
  • I had another console.
  • Nintendo would make a system with better hardware.
With that being said, have fun everyone! This one is looking like a once-in-a-lifetime kind of experience. :)

Last edited:
Don't know if I'd call BOTW a pioneer within this context. I would call it a pioneer because of the combination of emergent gameplay, using it's physics/chemistry system, within an open world game. But when the subject is freedom of exploration, where it seems to have influence on Elden's Ring, it also drinks a lot on other games fountains, like Elder's Scroll for example or even the og Zelda(though it's more restricted). When it was released it's was indeed a breath(no pun intented) of fresh air after so much mediocre(imo) open world games.

I haven't seen any of those 1 hours of gameplay, preview, only saw the trailer with the horse do double jumps to keep me as spoiler-free of the world as possible.
Can you (or anyone) tell me what Elden Ring has shown that makes people say things like "BOTW never realized the potential of its open-world but Elden Ring does"? Things that Elden Ring has done that BotW didn't?
Cause before BotW with its "climb anywhere, go anywhere, do anything" gameplay, people were praising almost every open-world game, and most of it was just a checklist and chore quest.

Ok, this I can understand a little. It's like one of those "quests" in BOTW where some NPC talking about their treasure hidden somewhere and we just go find its without the quest popping up saying that we just received a new quest, but Elden Ring take it even farther and apply to every "quest".

Last edited:

Same. I don't normally get into big open-world RPGs but if I'm ever gonna give them another shot...

I'm going to be making notes as I play. Not just to track stuff in this playthrough, but in case I stumble across stuff that might be useful for other builds. Less can be more with open worlds for sure, and I'm looking forward to playing a Soulsborne game at launch when everyone is discovering stuff, especially in a world this size.

I was expecting 90+ and hoping for 93+. It seems From have shattered my expectations and delivered a 95+ title. They actually managed to transfer their level design philosophy into an open world. Huge congratulations to Miyazaki and his team. Now I can be happy knowing that I'll be playing a GOTG contender this year even if BOTW2 doesn't make it.

Wow I'm so hyped. Not gonna buy it at launch cause I have other games to finish. Why did I start persona 4 and sekiro "right before" elden ring... (thats more the case for p4 but still)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom