• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Pre-Release Elden Ring Hype Thread [Release date February 25th, 2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Streams of the PS5 retail version are out in the wild.

Spoilers incoming friends. Just one more week.
I ended up hopping into one for a few mins since it was mostly things I saw in the CNT and had to force myself away.

It looks so good….

I had a dream with Elden Ring today. The atmosphere of the game was so oppressive that I was afraid of exploring the world and end up not liking it.

…and here I am just about ready to pre-order :x I failed hard at both Sekiro and Bloodborne, but I’m keen to try once more.
Well, if you jump into Bloodborne right now I'm sure there are many souls that would help you see the end of that one through jolly cooperation.

Sekiro is more unforgiving for sure because you can't level up around barriers and there isn't co-op.
Unless you have a PC and there's a fucking mod for making Sekiro a summonable two player game and it's wild!

Edit: However, I'm confident if you beat Bloodborne, you'd beat Sekiro! I also know a lot of people experience Sekiro in 30FPS, which I'm sure adds to the timing challenge.

Last edited:
How does the multiplayer work in this game? Is it the type of game that me and a buddy could legitimately play co-op together most of the way through? I've tried reading about it and it sounded a little confusing about having to gather consumable items in order to do it (No idea how common they are), and would we have to go through that whole process anytime either of us died? Are there any limitation of what you can do when playing co-op?

Just wondering if this would be a fun game to tackle in co-op, or if it would take more effort than it is worth.

Well, if you jump into Bloodborne right now I'm sure there are many souls that would help you see the end of that one through jolly cooperation.

Sekiro is more unforgiving for sure because you can't level up around barriers and there isn't co-op.
Unless you have a PC and there's a fucking mod for making Sekiro a summonable two player game and it's wild!

I’ve never been a fan of the idea of having randoms carry me. If that’s what it takes to get through content in a Souls game then it’s always going to be a hard pass.

I’m a bit more open to my close friend and I trying to take down something together, which is the plan for Elden Ring if either of us get stuck.

Edit: However, I'm confident if you beat Bloodborne, you'd beat Sekiro! I also know a lot of people experience Sekiro in 30FPS, which I'm sure adds to the timing challenge.

I sold my PS4 Pro before PS5 launched and haven't tried to get a PS5 get. But if Bloodborne ever does get a PS5 release down the line I'd probably be willing to give it another shot - especially if Elden Ring goes well. There was too much about the art style and setting that I loved

Last edited:
I’ve never been a fan of the idea of having randoms carry me. If that’s what it takes to get through content in a Souls game then it’s always going to be a hard pass.

I’m a bit more open to my close friend and I trying to take down something together, which is the plan for Elden Ring if either of us get stuck.
I hear you- I practice the "no-summon-way" myself for my own characters, but gladly assist others once I've vanquished each boss! I think all games are better with actual friends, so I'm sure that will work in Elden Ring.

But if Bloodborne ever does get a PS5 release down the line I'd probably be willing to give it another shot - especially if Elden Ring goes well. There was too much about the art style and setting that I loved
I think Bloodborne is the best of them by far, but eldritch horror is certainly one of my favorite things ever. I also think the "attack to regain health" maneuver and increased speed is just perfection too.
It's my GOTG with the exception of maybe Outer Wilds and BOTW.

Personally I’m debating whether to actually watch this before starting the game, but VaatiVidya posted a lore primer a few hours ago:

Must...resist...urge...to...click...play...
palpatine-dewit.gif

Overview Trailer

I swear all I’ve seen is PlayStation advertising the game. A long time ago Grubb mentioned Microsoft shooting for advertising rights, but somewhere that got shut down. Wonder how Sony came out on top - either Microsoft wasn’t willing to pay the same, or Sony’s rapport won.
I think Bloodborne is the best of them by far, but eldritch horror is certainly one of my favorite things ever. I also think the "attack to regain health" maneuver and increased speed is just perfection too.
It's my GOTG with the exception of maybe Outer Wilds and BOTW.
I see people put Bloodborne alongside BotW as their GOTG quite often. Unless there’s some really messy IP issues going on, Bloodborne remake/remaster feels like a lock.

I’m hoping Elden Ring is just the training I need to give it a try when it does drop. I quit around some giant hairy white poison dog in a cathedral…don’t think it was very far in

I'm going to assume Elden Ring and BOTW2 come out on top, followed by Starfield then GOW.

Breath of the Wild 2 and Starfield are still pretty mysterious games. It'll be exciting to see proper footage in the future. And I'm sure Ragnarok has some jaw-dropping set pieces to reveal.

Of course, Starfield and BOTW2 could easy get delayed to 2023 lol.

The Game of the Year debates between this, God of War, Starfield, and potentially Breath of the Wild 2 will be legendary.

Yeah this year has some heavy hitters for sure. As good as any individual game might be, there certainly won’t be any runaway winners.

The battle between hype and not watching anything more about this will be strong this week. When are reviews, maybe Wednesday?

The Game of the Year debates between this, God of War, Starfield, and potentially Breath of the Wild 2 will be legendary.

Heck, Horizon Forbidden West blew me away, and I didn't even like the first one. It's going to be a truly incredible year for gaming.

I'm a sucker for hype and having recently played and beat the first Dark Souls (finally) I'm in for this.

Anyone know when the PS preload is due to start?

My Elden Ring blackout is still successful, and I am just quickly popping in to complain that it isn't Friday yet.

Just a heads up for all Xbox players: Apparently you can just switch your region to New Zealand and play the game early!

Not to wish the actual experience away, but I'm looking forward to everyone reaching the point where it becomes all about serving (and posting!) them high-fantasy lewks. The equivalent of Fashion Souls.

Elden Bling?

Not to wish the actual experience away, but I'm looking forward to everyone reaching the point where it becomes all about serving (and posting!) them high-fantasy lewks. The equivalent of Fashion Souls.

Elden Bling?
Can this be the ST name if we do one here

Since I'm still unable to get a PS5 I'm forced to run this on my PS4. God I hope it will run well. Maybe I should get it on my Xbox One.

If anyone wants to help, they can.

Frankly, I'm going to work on it again and coalesce what we have, but another hand would be welcome.

@NabiscoFelt You're up?
Not sure I'd be the best help since I haven't really done an OT before and haven't been super up to date with Elden Ring stuff (on a semi-media-blackout), but I can help if needed

Excited for this. Starting a game like this is always daunting, but I think it’s going to be a very rewarding experience with lots of depth.

I had a wonderful time with Demon’s Souls on PS5 and enjoyed (but didn’t love) Bloodborne before it.

Fingers crossed for a broken magic build. :)

Hoping the magic builds in these games are good, too. Thinking about fully committing to a mage type character but the ever-dwindling MP bar will definitely get me jittery.

I'm boring and always go Quality for my first run of a game (did I mention that Ludwig's Holy Blade is my favorite Souls weapon?) since eventually at least that lets you use most any weapon you really want to, and I like one-handing greatswords. It does mean that I'm usually not doing any magic, though.

Think I'm gonna go with bandit and see what arcane is all about, hope it's the stat with the weird cool stuff associated to it like luck/arcane usually is in these titles.

I'm gonna go Astrologer, see how a Sorcery build pans out. To be honest, over time, I can see myself experimenting with other builds too, especially if the open world provides interesting routing/gearing options.

I never did a magic build in any souls game, I always tend to go with a dex build, and on a second play-through maybe strength, but here with the more open areas I will probably miss a ranged option, and never really liked the bows in Souls games

There is a day one patch to adress performance, but souls games where never good performance wise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom